[1.0.5] FASA 5.44

frizzank

With an adapter plate for 8 F-1 engines. C-8 has only a slightly bigger first stage so no need for a more powerful engine.

Actaully, yes they do need to be more powerful, or the weight needs to be nerfed.. Because instead of being five meters, the first and second stages are both 6.25Ms so the fuel adds a lot more weight..

Like I said, I tested a whole C-8 configuration and eight F-1s didn't even make the craft budge.

Actaully, yes they do need to be more powerful, or the weight needs to be nerfed.. Because instead of being five meters, the first and second stages are both 6.25Ms so the fuel adds a lot more weight..

Like I said, I tested a whole C-8 configuration and eight F-1s didn't even make the craft budge.

Isn't just the first stage 6.25m? I said what I said because as far as I remember it has been told the first stage will be a resized S-II and an adapter plate. In respect of FASA it doesn't seem to be too difficult for 3 more F-1's to handle. I'll give it a test too.

negative on the F-1a im only going up to 1976

While I fully support your not including anything you'd rather not (and it's just config edits anyway, since visually they were quite similar) the F-1A was operational by the end of the 60s. There just weren't any new-build Saturn Vs to stick it on.

Also, that pic is from "NASA/USAF Advanced Development Program (ADP) Aerospike Engine" from this page. I don't think it's the J-2T, but maybe the ADP AE was developed from it?

Edited by NathanKell

Okay, for some reason the new C-8 I made is actually flying with eight f-1s, so I must have done something to make it not lift up.

But there's still the problem of the J-2s not giving enough thrust to keep the rocket going up.

GoldForest, I've added the F-1A and the J-2S to my install by copying the F-1 and J-2 configs and altering the performance data. If you'd like to try those out the data I changed is as follows:

F-1A:

maxThrust = 2240

atmosphereCurve

{

key = 0 349

key = 1 334

}

J-2S:

maxThrust = 460

atmosphereCurve

{

key = 0 430

key = 1 306

}

I got the numbers by determining the ratios of the thrust and ISP values of the F-1A to the F-1 as well as the J-2S to the J-2, then multiplied the values in the cfgs by those ratios to get the numbers. Using them on the S-IC and S-II in the Saturn V configuration allows me to get a 300 km apoapsis with fuel left in the S-II. I did, however, cut the center engines on both stages (when the S-IC was at about 25% fuel remaining, and the S-II when it was about 50% fuel remaining). That is still better performance than I get out of the stock F-1 and J-2.

Has anyone noticed a weird problem with the Apollo LES? Specifically, if I rotate it 45 degrees counterclockwise compared to its initial position, so that the BPC hatch lines up with the CM hatch, when I place it, it sort of "sinks" into the CM and then can't be dealt with in any way, shape, or form except by deleting the entire command module and starting over. Can't even select it with a right-click or in action groups, much less remove it.

Also, my tip of the day, for those who both use MechJeb and want to try to have a more realistic/difficult experience with the Saturns. The Saturn Instrument Unit that guided the vehicle during ascent used "closed-loop" guidance during first stage burn (S-I, S-IB, and S-IC), then switched over to "open-loop" guidance after staging and second stage ignition. Basically, this meant that during the first stage burn, the vehicle was flying a completely preplanned guidance program with no regard to outside input except for what the IMU was saying about heading and deck angle (angle relative to the ground); once the second stage was running, it switched to guidance that would actively fly the booster to follow the preplanned optimum trajectory rather than just following preprogrammed guidance commands. This can be simulated by turning OFF MechJeb's "Corrective steering" option in the Ascent Autopilot before launch, and then turning it ON again after second stage ignition. This results in a more realistic flightpath (no hard pitchover to start the turn, then pitching back once it's going), and it also provides a bit more difficulty in that it's slightly less efficient in terms of delta-V. (Something in the 200m/s range for the S-IB with an Apollo CSM, in my experience.)

This can also be applied, for realism, to the earlier boosters--I know that Redstone and Atlas used entirely closed-loop guidance, and I'm not sure about the Titan II, but I wouldn't be shocked if all the Titans used closed-loop guidance for at least the first stage...

Apollo LES is underwhelming, to say the least. Hopefully Denny will remake it someday into a more complex, better modeled system. Just attach it as intended (without rotating) for now.

Some work on nova parts, they are just modified versions of existing ones so it was real easy to do.

A 7.5 m mounting plate with room for 9, F-1 engines. A 7.5m fuel tank, and a 5m to 7.5m decoupler.

The larger and more powerful M-1 engine on the left compared to the f1 on the right..

And some much needed small low profile lights for Gemini and other things.

GSNjByX.jpg

vqKxVw9.jpg

qyCaana.jpg

Wow. Nice. :) That M1 is great. I don't think it should be stronger than F-1, though, but definitely more efficient (it was a vac-optimized upper stage engine). Sort of like an upper stage F-1.

This pack is really really useful for taking an "Eyes Turned Skyward" look at post-Apollo. Its an Alternate History fiction that goes on if the US had decided to commit to space stations instead of a shuttle, having to use their now-slashed budget to build a station with Apollo hardware. Interestingly, the troubles faced are similar, though the vehicles are not. Being derived from Apollo hardware means you can kind of build this kind of stuff with FASA.

http://wiki.alternatehistory.com/doku.php/timelines/eyes_turned_skywards_images_and_fanworks

I'm a particular fan of trying to make the Saturn 1C which in the timeline is a 1B replacement where the first stage is a single F1-A. It kind of works well-ish with a hacked-together F1-A. With the Fustek parts and some other stuff, you can use FASA to build a neat-o alternate space station too. Great pack!

7LX5LOcl.jpg

tDxxR1T.jpg

OIbsYKS.jpg

zISq8W5.jpg

My only question is, is there any plan to fix the polygon smoothing on the Apollo CM? There some odd smoothing going on at certain angles, and I suspect setting some hard edges would alleviate the problem.

This pack is really really useful for taking an "Eyes Turned Skyward" look at post-Apollo. Its an Alternate History fiction that goes on if the US had decided to commit to space stations instead of a shuttle, having to use their now-slashed budget to build a station with Apollo hardware. Interestingly, the troubles faced are similar, though the vehicles are not. Being derived from Apollo hardware means you can kind of build this kind of stuff with FASA.

http://wiki.alternatehistory.com/doku.php/timelines/eyes_turned_skywards_images_and_fanworks

I'm a particular fan of trying to make the Saturn 1C which in the timeline is a 1B replacement where the first stage is a single F1-A. It kind of works well-ish with a hacked-together F1-A. With the Fustek parts and some other stuff, you can use FASA to build a neat-o alternate space station too. Great pack!

http://i.imgur.com/7LX5LOcl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/tDxxR1T.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/OIbsYKS.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/zISq8W5.jpg

My only question is, is there any plan to fix the polygon smoothing on the Apollo CM? There some odd smoothing going on at certain angles, and I suspect setting some hard edges would alleviate the problem.

Awesome station. As for the CM, that is Dennys work you can post questions on his thread.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/70557-APOLLO-LEM-OLDD-%28Odd-Looking-Devices-by-DennyTX%29-present-%28v-0-23-03-03-14%29

I should make some Apollo era solar panels though. Never did get around to the MOL ones...

Ahh, what could've been. The Russian moon program may have been a disaster, but alot of the various parts like the engines were rock solid designs in they're own right, they didn't just throw everything away like we pretty much did. Had they just focused on making the various parts cheaper and had we maintained a major interest in space, the Apollo hardware could've taken us far.....

I mean let's face it, we basically went back to Apollo approach to lifters with the constellation and the SLS, capsules and heat-shields instead of glorified gliders...

ETS is about the best thing ever, yeah!

nixonshead has also done some amazing art for it (in case anyone needs inspiration). Here, for example, is the Block IV Apollo, with a Mission Module for more hab space.

http://wiki.alternatehistory.com/lib/exe/fetch.php/timelines/apiv-ortho.jpg

There are dozens more illustrations and lots of in-flight scenes, too.

This Block III service module is a good one. I might try to do it tomorrow and since it's just a fuel tank, it should be easy. And of course to be suitable with Denny's Apollo CM.

You could make KSP parts for a year, just from that page.

So much awesome.

I'm thinking on cutting my teeth on one of those ideas while I work on the Dynasoar. There's so much awesome on there. I apologize in advance for derailing the conversation.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.