[1.0.5] FASA 5.44

frizzank

I did some testing with the M1s.

You can fit four of them on a 6.25 plate with a 7.75 to 6.25 fairing. You have to tilt the engines at least one click, but they all fit with little room between them. Idk if there's a way to tilt nodes. I used the failed docking port structural part to tilt them.

To get the 6.25m tank use PP and PF for the fairing.

making some craft files....

Agena Centaur.

http://i.imgur.com/JFkosPH.jpg

Ditch the probe core and you'll have a real concept - a departure stage for a lunar Gemini mission. BTW, now that I think of it, you could add some monoprop to the Centaur mounting plate. The real thing had RCS in there, you're probably not going to bother with them, but a tank so we can attach our own without spoiling the stage would be nice.

That's a different concept than I've seen, but if it was proposed, it's fine, I suppose. That one uses different Gemini (looks like it has a shrunk Apollo CSM attached to the rear), though, the one I remember used a standard one.

EDIT: Nope, you're right. The one I was thinking about turns out to be Gemini-Double Transtage on closer inspection:

geminidoubletranstagear9.jpg

Makes sense, TBH. Centaur has no guidance unit of it's own. Transtage does.

EDIT2: Also, try this:

gemluna.gif

The only pic I found on the web that suggests a delivery method for the Gemini lander (any chance of remaking the little bugger in a command seat, BTW?).

Edited by Guest

So I scaled the M-1 down some, it is a lot easier to place in clusters now and is a bit more useful. Also it was giving the impression that it was more powerful than the F-1 when it was just suppose to be more efficient.

Also I added some more attach nodes to the F1 plate so you could do some interesting builds with it. I also took out some of the fuel in the Nova tank because it was too easy to make a Saturn V SSTO with just 2 tanks.

The Nova stuff is loads of fun to build and fly, even if it is a bit large. The new joint system works much better, though there is some wobble still so you have to be careful.

pS0Uqk8.jpg

Yes its in the rafters

9iU97Xh.jpg

M-1 engine and J-2's

WAqnStN.jpg

Edited by frizzank

Interesting. Those Agena-Centaur were never made, were they? What was the purpose of it? Pushing a Gemini on a lunar fly-by?

No, never made, and yes they were for hypothetical lunar Gemini missions. Those missions were proposed by McDonnell as a backup plan in case Apollo didn't work out.

New build up, fixed some bugs and added some craft files

http://www./download/6ony6x1oseot9pp/FASA4.91.zip

Fixed the small attach nodes on RL-10 engine
adjusted the ISP for the LR-91, LR-87 (was backwards), and Redstone A-6 engine closer to real world values.
fixed typo in transtage CSM cfg
Rebalanced the RCS thrust on Gemini components.
Added a bit more thrust to the J2
Added more attach nodes to the F1 plate.
Added mono APU to Apollo SM
Increased the thrust on the Apollo RCS and APS
Scaled the Nova down some it was hard to place and gave the impression that it was more powerful than the F-1.
Tweaked fuel and masses of Nova parts. Nova tank has less fuel now.
Reduced the amount of fuel and weight in the Mercury short LFT and consolidated some of the textures.
Added a double sized 2.5m version of the Mercury Short LFT
Added Craft files for Agena, Agena Atlas, Voyager 2 (Centaur), Agena Centaur, And Nova

Also keep sending in bugs as you find them and I will try to fix them as fast as I can....

I don't know if its a bug or a personal idiosyncrasy but shouldn't these stripes line up? I am sure this ranks at the bottom of what you are looking for in terms of bugs but its just something i noticed.

d8AWO8k.png

edit: its was just lighting thing it supposed to look like that sorry

kElLwno.png

Edited by sp1989

Yea....no that's not what I was trying to do it all. Nice attempt at trying to analyze my motives. I was simply trying to settle something. Look back there was three or four posts about kerbalized Nasa parts and of they are realistic or not. It wasn't really a making a decision thing or even a defense thing. I was more addressing the people who were analying the level of realism in the pack and what they thought it should be. No offense but I think you need to calm down.

Alright, then I think an excuse from my side might be in order. So, uhm... sorry?

Friz, would it be possible for a 3.75m version of the SII attachment plate. With some extra adaption points it'd make a great IV stage (the Saturn I one, with the 6x RL-10s) attachment plate. I've tried it myself through rescaling, but it came out all wrong.

So I launched a Saturn V, and all was going swimmingly until the TDM. I'm ready to quit.

EDIT: Now the LEM upper stage and CSM refuse to dock. And this RCS is overpowered.

Did you make sure to position the docking ports correctly? They both have two nodes that are right on top of each other. I had this problem, just make sure that it's the bottom node that is attached and not the top one.

Also, Frizzank, are you going to make the Nova Stage two?

Did you make sure to position the docking ports correctly? They both have two nodes that are right on top of each other. I had this problem, just make sure that it's the bottom node that is attached and not the top one.

Actually this is also a problem with some of the mercury parts (The Retro-Rocket pack vs the Retro-Rocket mount vs the Command Capsule itself... two different sized nodes, all on top of one another causing lots of glitching.) My favorite is if you glitch this and you fire the retro rockets... you tend to enter a sideways spin that RCS is not powerful enough to stop completely.

Unrelated, but is anyone aware of a mod that would cause the Gemini Black Docking port nosecone to have puffs of smoke arround it and not work correctly while the white one still works fine?!

its not a mistake it has to have equal weight on both sides to be balanced.

So it is time for someone to make a stability enhancement dll file for KSP (that only works up to a fraction of the parent parts weight for reducing OP)? Or maybe Drag-less counterweights?

it is too bad extending the antenna does not alter the CoG like it would in real life. Could actually make a PAM module that mimics real life (Spin stabilization during trajectory change but cancels out at end of burn.

Actually this is also a problem with some of the mercury parts (The Retro-Rocket pack vs the Retro-Rocket mount vs the Command Capsule itself... two different sized nodes, all on top of one another causing lots of glitching.) My favorite is if you glitch this and you fire the retro rockets... you tend to enter a sideways spin that RCS is not powerful enough to stop completely.

Unrelated, but is anyone aware of a mod that would cause the Gemini Black Docking port nosecone to have puffs of smoke arround it and not work correctly while the white one still works fine?!

Some of the parts are really small and this can not be avoided. If you zoom in on the parts it helps with placement.

Follow the steps on the first page and your problems will be resolved.

Now the LEM upper stage and CSM refuse to dock. And this RCS is overpowered.

Check the included craft files, the docking ports are set up correctly. You must dock some what realistically. Meaning you must be properly aligned and can not just slam into the LEM.

As far as the RCS being overpowered are you using the fine trim mode? The standard mode is a 100% all or nothing and makes every RCS seam overpowered.

Some of the parts are really small and this can not be avoided. If you zoom in on the parts it helps with placement.

Follow the steps on the first page and your problems will be resolved.

Check the included craft files, the docking ports are set up correctly. You must dock some what realistically. Meaning you must be properly aligned and can not just slam into the LEM.

As far as the RCS being overpowered are you using the fine trim mode? The standard mode is a 100% all or nothing and makes every RCS seam overpowered.

Frizzank, are you going to make the Nova Stage Two?

Frizzank, could you make 8 and 9-segment Titan SRBs? :) White ones, preferably. It turns out that UA1208s were considered for some Shuttle applications:

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19720015134.pdf

Page 9 mentions those. And why 9-segment ones? Because boosters. :) Well, that, and it seems (page 6) that UA1208s actually had 9 segments. One of them was presumably just the nozzle housing, but your numbering scheme doesn't reflect that. Anyway, I love your SRBs, both sounds and effects are incredible. Since the models themselves are rather repetitive, it should not be terribly hard to just slap more segments on them.

Edited by Guest

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.