[0.21.1] KAS v0.4.3 - Struts, pipes, part storage, containers, merged winches & more

KospY

Is it just me or is it that everything I KASify (apply KAS to, make it grabable) does not want to be grabbed? because I tried to put it on a clamp-o-tron and it failed and it just gave me the set as target option.

The grab and attach modules will not work for every part. Some things just don't like being grabbed I guess. So far I've found that lights, ladders, and landing legs don't seem to work with those modules. Never tried it on a docking port though.

Is it just me or is it that everything I KASify (apply KAS to, make it grabable) does not want to be grabbed? because I tried to put it on a clamp-o-tron and it failed and it just gave me the set as target option.

I've gotten it to work with docking ports, are you close enough to it in EVA?

Yes, I am sitting right on it.

Maybe stop sitting on it before ya try and pick it up =P Just messin.

If your using a stock part did you move it from the squad folder? or make a copy?

Also, are you adding the modules yourself or using a program to do it?

I love this mod but I accidentally discovered a slight, obscure, and totally avoidable problem that only needs attention if you want to add some idiot-proofing. Otherwise, just spread the word NOT to do what I did and everything will be fine :)

What happened was, I built a ship with a winch on it to go refuel a stranded craft that didn't have a docking port. The idea was to EVA over with one of those dismountable ports, then EVA back again with the cable (because for some reason you can't pre-attach the port to the cable like you can the hook and magnet). The dismountable ports (I had 2 of them, just in case) and the winch itself were all within reach from the capsule hatch as shown here, so I could grab them before letting go of the ladder.

TErX0Ly.jpg

This all works absolutely perfectly unless you commit an operator error. That error is to start the EVA, put one of the ports on your back, and then accidentally end the EVA by hitting F when you really meant to hit SPACE to let go of the ladder. This totally hoses the whole system. When you go back outside to try again, you discover the following things:

1. The port you had on your back is gone, eaten by the kraken.

2. While you can put the 2nd port on your back (that's why there's 2), it's totally dead once you do so. H has no effect and it won't even give you a right-click menu. It's like you don't have a port at all, even though graphically it shows up on your back plain as day. And because it's dead, you can't even drop the thing to pick up a 3rd one if you had it.

Anyway, thought you'd like to know. Easy enough to avoid by hitting the right key to let go the ladder, but also an easy mistake to make.

Edited by Geschosskopf

Since we're talking about glitchy behaviors right now, I recommend not installing s fuel line TO or FROM the little orange attachment part you install on the winch. Yes you can still grab it, and the fuel lines surprisingly stretch with unlimited durability, but it makes your kerbals break physics very very badly. I only tried it on the launch pad so I was in atmosphere and at 1g. It may act differently in vacuum or 0g, but don't expect to be able to use a ladder lol.

Might figure this out or notice it before I get a response, but does the resource transfer work for electricity too?

Yes, what's even better you can take advantage of another crafts solar arrays without having to manually transfer electricity. It might be faster to transfer it manually though.

This brings up an interesting point because every resource flows freely through a docked KAS cable except LF and O. Xenon and monopropellant fill up every tank at the same time that they're created by a kethane converter. Electricity also fills up one crafts batteries while it's being created by panels on another craft. But LF and O have to be transferred manually. Is this a bug or a limitation?

Edited by Cpt. Kipard

Yes, what's even better you can take advantage of another crafts solar arrays without having to manually transfer electricity. It might be faster to transfer it manually though.

This brings up an interesting point because every resource flows freely through a docked KAS cable except LF and O. Xenon and monopropellant fill up every tank at the same time that they're created by a kethane converter. Electricity also fills up one crafts batteries while it's being created by panels on another craft. But LF and O have to be transferred manually. Is this a bug or a limitation?

This is just how KSP handles fuelflow. When your using KAS as resource transfer its just the same as 2 ships being docked via docking ports, fuelflow will act accordingly.

Here is a link to thread that explains KSP's fuel flow

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/35664-Kethane-Usage-and-Proper-Fuel-Routing

Edited by KhaosCorp
link

Khaos look at that link to fuel flow and see the most recent conversation, KAS does not actually replicate two docked ships perfectly. Unfortunately :(

Yea, I kinda said that wrong, good catch. As far as TRANSFERING fuel KAS works the same as clamp-o-trons, actual fuelflow varies, that is very true.

Sorry if I caused any confusion. Sounded right in my head

So I've run into a little trouble with KAS. I'm starting a Mun base, and I planned to connect the buildings together via KAS cables (not to physically move the modules, just for resource transfer). Unfortunately, when I dock two together, the winch seems to exert enough force to pull one of the pods over. They're not exactly light at 20+ tons each.

Connecting them in undocked mode works ok, and I've tried putting some slack in the cable before docking.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

I've noticed that problem too, I connected a ship to my space station by KAS cuz I didn't have the right docking port free, and it started really pulling on the station. Can't seem to simply leave the cable at a distance without it going in or out.

I have a question. I'm on Mun, rolling around using my unmanned rover. I accidently brake too hard and it gets damaged and flips over.

Is it possible to make a winch/crane system that can be flown to Mun, dropped, sent to the damaged rover, and retrieve it? I know I'll also need a manned mission to be able to use the winch. But I want to know if I can get the rover as it lies, instead of needing to attach anything.

I have a question. I'm on Mun, rolling around using my unmanned rover. I accidently brake too hard and it gets damaged and flips over.

Is it possible to make a winch/crane system that can be flown to Mun, dropped, sent to the damaged rover, and retrieve it? I know I'll also need a manned mission to be able to use the winch. But I want to know if I can get the rover as it lies, instead of needing to attach anything.

You can use the eva attachable connector port or the magnetic piece to grab the rover.

I've noticed that problem too, I connected a ship to my space station by KAS cuz I didn't have the right docking port free, and it started really pulling on the station. Can't seem to simply leave the cable at a distance without it going in or out.

I've noticed this too, with supply rovers. it starts whipsawing the connection and then bammo, breaks something off.

Ok, a couple tings that can help with this.

This only works some of the time...but better than nothing. When docking with KAS first connect the plug in 'undocked' mode. Spool out the cable till there is at least 5 meters slack. Switch plug mode to 'docked'. Also if all possible stay away from the eva attached connection port.

Second bit of info does not pertain to this issue directly, but it could contribute to it in some cases. When using the 'keyboard control' feature (as in numpad 1&3 are spool control and 2 is eject) it will give input to ALL kas winches that are physicaly loaded REGARDLESS OF WHAT SHIP THEY ARE ON. I actually first discovered this a few days ago setting up mass kethane storage via airship on Kerbin.....fired the winch y airship to land and all my silos on the ground fired off their plugs.

One last thing....I have gotten myself in the habit of not using the winch plugs at all without the GUI open...this way if (when) stuff goes pear-shaped if I react fast enough I can pop the plug before bad things happen.

Edited by KhaosCorp

using frizzanks asteroid I am unable to connect any of the KAS parts to the surface of the asteroid, for the removeable docking port it strobes green and yellow and for the hook it strobes yellow and red, it happens whenever i get into loading distance of the asteroid or atleast seems to only happen then, in orbit away from the asteroid the parts still work as well as on the surface but when near the asteroid it dosent work on the asteroid or anything at all, is this a problem with kas or the asteroids?

Im going to say it has something to do with the asteroids, they are really just giant parts and it causes issues. I am able to attach everything to the smaller asteroids so it may just be an issue with size?

When docking with KAS first connect the plug in 'undocked' mode. Spool out the cable till there is at least 5 meters slack. Switch plug mode to 'docked'.

That did the trick, thanks! I had tried undocked mode, and I tried slack, but apparently not together.

I'm noticing another issue. Not sure if it's related to your mod or not.

~picsnip~

So I got my rocket ready to go. This is just testing the orbital stage. When I notice my nav ball is upside down, as if the rocket is pointing straight down. How is this possible?

What direction is your command module/probe core facing? The navball is set to whatever part you are controlling.