[0.21.1] KAS v0.4.3 - Struts, pipes, part storage, containers, merged winches & more

KospY

hey Kat' how did you manage to load custom parts to the KAS containers?

In the KAS folder there is a file called addModule.cfg and you add parts to that rather than having to change the parts themselves. If you look at how the existing parts are defined it's pretty easy to add new entires and just change the values as needed. You will also want to look at this wiki which explains what each of the different options do.

Ugh, I'm stupid and installed the new version and lost most of my ships. If you have existing craft with KAS gear be careful about installing the new update!

I take it you updated with craft that used KAS 3.x. I presume you still have the actual craft files, just you can't load them in the VAB/SPH any more cos they're missing parts. If that's the case I've written a little program that will fix your 3.x craft so they will work with 4.x

download this zip, unpack the exe and put it in a campaign folder (ie KSP/saves/default/) and run it (you have to do each campaign in turn). It doesn't fix craft that are already launched, it just makes it so that those craft files that use 3.x can be loaded in the VAB/SPH once you've installed 4.x

There's a bit more detail about what it actually does in this post, and if you want to see the source code I've posted it here.

EDIT

*SNIP*

Also, this looks hilariously awesome.

screenshot249.png

*SNIP*

I tried something similar but with septrons, I set them so they could be attached to a Kerbal and ...

6oL5bF5l.jpg

Unfortunately I couldn't find a way of firing both at the same time, so it just resulted in a horrible spinning experience for poor Bill who was once again Jeb's test subject (yes that's Jeb standing behind him going muahahaha)

Also, I had something odd happen when using 4.2 which didn't happen in 4.1 when I first tried the above septron thing. Taking things out of a container while standing on the runway has a high tendency to send what ever you take out of the container to go spinning off and explode. On the grass just off the runway all is normal. Can anyone else confirm that they get that too before I go and write a bug report?

Edited by katateochi

Anyone else had any issues with kerbals getting killed from grabbing winch connectors while on the moon.. they walk ok for a moment, then stop animating and start sliding across the moon then Poof! into the ground like they just fell from orbit.

Since apparently this is a good thread to show off interesting KAS creations, here's something I dubbed the "emergency rocketbike".

Source material: One command seat, one RCS tank, three RCS blocks, stuffed into two small containers

Very, very good update.

Now if only we could get a compact version of the UI...

That is funny and at the same time useful. Nice

Unfortunately I couldn't find a way of firing both at the same time, so it just resulted in a horrible spinning experience for poor Bill who was once again Jeb's test subject (yes that's Jeb standing behind him going muahahaha)

You need Actions On The Fly. You could then set up the action groups in real time so you can fire them both at once. The interface is a bit wonky, but it gets the job done.

You need Actions On The Fly. You could then set up the action groups in real time so you can fire them both at once. The interface is a bit wonky, but it gets the job done.

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it out, but sadly it wouldn't let me set an action group for the septrons bolted to Bill's head! I could set "edit AG" on bill, but it wouldn't let me do anything to the septrons. I might try a manual savefile edit tomorrow.

Another awesome mod! Woo!

Is it possible to edit which items can be placed in the containers? And on that same note, edit which items kerbals can pick up and attach? I was sad to see you can only have the cubic strut, i want more!

Still, the whole cable/winch resource transfer thing is out of this world!

Oh yeah! It's all good found out that it's just a question of adding the module bit to existing items. Won't mess with the whole positioning of when you drop stuff. hopefully by picking items of similar size it'll work! :D

Oh yeah!

Edited by MedievalNerd

The biggest bug in terms of people repeatedly complaining (filling the thread up with junk) is the old one from 0.3 where you grab something but cannot attach until a scene change is made either via save/load or the tracking station.

Fix that one and 90% of the repeat noise posts will go away.

Quick question, how do I add parts that are not selectable on EVA to things?

My issue is I want to add a part, for example, the mini probe fuel tank, but as it's not selectable on EVA normally it won't come up with a menu asking if I want to select and grab it?

Can I fix this in the config files or do I have to do it through unity?

My base exploded!

A lot of hours gone!

I know this is like saying that the downpour of rain in the pacific ocean this morning was due to a guy in Italy yelling at his neighbour. But I'm saying it anyways. I think it was KAS somehow.

I had one strut connected between my two "buildings", and after some other flying around in the solar system and timewarps needed as a result of that, I start up KSP again a day later and find that my base is now named "Base Beta Debris" in stead of "Base Beta" so I switch to my base, see that my landing gear on my buildings have "sunk" into the ground, half a sec before it all explodes and is launched 19500 meters into space, falls down and is smashed to the ground.

Somehow I locked my evil eye on that auspicious fuel connector pipe that stayed connected throughout the ordeal. And my theory goes that some weird time warp effect made the strut connector into an effective "Base Beta Vibrator" and thus my base wobbled itself into oblivion.

Any other hypothesis?

Cause this disaster made me not want to play KSP for a week. Don't want another day of wasted base creation labor to result in failed orbital incertions of munar bases.

Edited by Curaodo

Cause this disaster made me not want to play KSP for a week. Don't want another day of wasted base creation labor to result in failed orbital incertions of munar bases.

You do realize that KSP is an alpha right?? You could play with no mods at all and your gonna loose all your work from time to time.

Also just saying 'your mod destroyed my base' is not really helping anyone at all...anywhere. Do you have debug log? Dump log? anything at all that would actually point to the true issue??

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it out, but sadly it wouldn't let me set an action group for the septrons bolted to Bill's head! I could set "edit AG" on bill, but it wouldn't let me do anything to the septrons. I might try a manual savefile edit tomorrow.

Heres a trick I learned from Danny. Alt right click on each sepratron, then press Escape, while the menu is up on the screen press Activate Engine on both engines, and when you press Resume both will fire at once :) happy rocketing lol

I'll try to collect more data on this. I know perfectly well that I don't know what to blame on this. But I just needed "somewhere" to post. Don't mean to bring bad attention to KAS, this mod is wonderful. Got some huge problems attaching pipes to different ships on the mun tho as as soon as I pick up one end, my kerbals start accelerating down the slopes. Only way to get around this is to pick up the link as I'm hovering with my jetpack and then connect the link without ever touching the ground. Once I hit ground I'll start sliding several hundred meters or until I hit ESC.

It seems that whenever i'm in an orbital EVA, i can't use the strut end point at all. I reloaded the ship to no avail. I can get it out of the container and store it back but every right click it only gets me the Kerbal's EVA fuel stat, even though the part is highlighted.

My base exploded!

A lot of hours gone!

I know this is like saying that the downpour of rain in the pacific ocean this morning was due to a guy in Italy yelling at his neighbour. But I'm saying it anyways. I think it was KAS somehow.

I had one strut connected between my two "buildings", and after some other flying around in the solar system and timewarps needed as a result of that, I start up KSP again a day later and find that my base is now named "Base Beta Debris" in stead of "Base Beta" so I switch to my base, see that my landing gear on my buildings have "sunk" into the ground, half a sec before it all explodes and is launched 19500 meters into space, falls down and is smashed to the ground.

Somehow I locked my evil eye on that auspicious fuel connector pipe that stayed connected throughout the ordeal. And my theory goes that some weird time warp effect made the strut connector into an effective "Base Beta Vibrator" and thus my base wobbled itself into oblivion.

Any other hypothesis?

Hey mate, sorry for late answer.

The issue you're telling about is most definitely related to KAS. I encountered it myself on my own Münar base and had the same reaction as you. What's happening is what you described - parts spawn below the ground and turns everything into firework (at least a bit entertaining?).

The solution in your end is unfortunately to make your base somewhere else, which must be more flat. I chose a frozen lake on Minmus (not harder to get to as landings are way easier), and carefully placed one module at a time and saved furiously between trips. No issues encountered yet.

I'm sorry about your base, but when you've made it once, it's much easier to do it again ;)

The solution in your end is unfortunately to make your base somewhere else, which must be more flat. I chose a frozen lake on Minmus (not harder to get to as landings are way easier), and carefully placed one module at a time and saved furiously between trips.

Thanks a lot for response. I'll look into that.