Rune's Slightly Used Vehicles

Rune

Sure! In fact, I have quite the backlog to link here. It's next on my to do list, link everything I have been releasing since 0.24, and I might throw in a new SSTO that was sidelined for a while. I also have to decide what to do with my old shuttle replica, the new one blows it out of the water, but that one is so tiny and cute, and I really like how the "segmented SRB" idea worked out.

Ok, i just haven't been around for a while, trying to figure out which companies are still active :D

Sorry, forgot to answer :blush:. Since I don't use that mod myself and would have to learn it before using it, it might be faster if you ask Ghostshark27 for his files and take out remotetech... or even faster to take away the stock fairings (just pick any of the side decouplers and both will come off), separate either the payload or the first tank from the rest, and stick the Procedural Fairings thingie in there, from what I understand of the mod. You will end up with excess lift capacity, unless those fairings are very heavy, so don't worry about bringing more decouplers than you need, just stage them right.

Rune. They are built so taking them apart is easy!

As long as Rune doesn't mind, I can either put up the craft files that I modded here, or I can start a new thread if he wants to keep this HIS space. :) Either way, when I share it, I'll probably pull out the remotetech antenna's and mechjeb CPU's in the interest of keeping things clean and accessable. Aside from Procedural Fairings, there's another mod you will need for my remakes, and that's Nothke's 6S tubes. They make some awesome spacers between fuel tank and fairing to store all the goodies needed to run your lifter.

Once I get KSP back up and running (been having issues since .24.1), I'll tackle these things again. I'll fix them up so they are post .24 ready, as well. Also, with the versions I modified, after adding a computer core, batteries, mono, RCS and the Procedural Fairing gear, the weight came out about the same. Each design had at least 100 Dv left on the insertion stage after getting into orbit with the advertised payload still attached. Once the payload was released, there was more than enough left to deorbit with the main engine, and if it ran out of fuel there was a healthy amount of Mono left to give it an extra boost.

Edited by Ghostshark27

As long as Rune doesn't mind, I can either put up the craft files that I modded here, or I can start a new thread if he wants to keep this HIS space. :) Either way, when I share it, I'll probably pull out the remotetech antenna's and mechjeb CPU's in the interest of keeping things clean and accessable. Aside from Procedural Fairings, there's another mod you will need for my remakes, and that's Nothke's 6S tubes. They make some awesome spacers between fuel tank and fairing to store all the goodies needed to run your lifter.

Once I get KSP back up and running (been having issues since .24.1), I'll tackle these things again. I'll fix them up so they are post .24 ready, as well. Also, with the versions I modified, after adding a computer core, batteries, mono, RCS and the Procedural Fairing gear, the weight came out about the same. Each design had at least 100 Dv left on the insertion stage after getting into orbit with the advertised payload still attached. Once the payload was released, there was more than enough left to deorbit with the main engine, and if it ran out of fuel there was a healthy amount of Mono left to give it an extra boost.

Sure! Rune doesn't, and the more people can use the better ships for their need, the better. And, with the hideous amount of bugs I'm having lately, it may even be better this way, and certainly quicker. In fact, I'll edit the OP to put a link if you want, with the appropriate credit next to it of course, so that the guys with procedural fairings already installed can also just grab 'em (and rep you for your troubles I hope!).

Also, a warning for whoever might be concerned:

if in (at least) one of the versions of the White Dart you experience weird bugs while having KAS installed, this is what will fix them: reinstall KSP in another folder, load the ship in that one, re-save it under a different name, and then use the new file in you standard installation.

I think something was very rotten in my copy when I did the final pass on them, and the files gained weird bugged KAS modules in the grabable parts (like ladders) that throw flight-breaking bugs, but this should fix them and turn the ship file 100% stock. Not that the people already playing stock, or stock with other mods, should find any kind of trouble with them, but there is always the one (which is how I found out, thanks SRiley77 for the feedback and bug-squashing!).

Rune. This community is awesome. Thanks guys! :)

KAS problems, huh? Maybe that's what I've got going on, too. I'm fighting something that's causing fuel tanks to suddenly not want to be attached to everything else. Wouldn't put it past KAS to be the culprit, but I'm not sure. Until I get it straight though, I don't want to post up these designs and run the risk of corrupting craft files and giving other people junk. Might just copy my KSP folder and do an almost stock build to see if that solves some problems, if it clears it I'll build my models in the clean build.

KAS problems, huh? Maybe that's what I've got going on, too. I'm fighting something that's causing fuel tanks to suddenly not want to be attached to everything else. Wouldn't put it past KAS to be the culprit, but I'm not sure. Until I get it straight though, I don't want to post up these designs and run the risk of corrupting craft files and giving other people junk. Might just copy my KSP folder and do an almost stock build to see if that solves some problems, if it clears it I'll build my models in the clean build.

After all my troubles, I am coming to the conclusion the only way I'll avoid bugs in the future is to do all flight testing on a stock install of KSP, at least the ones coming here. You can never be too sure something will play nice with every possible KSP install out there.

Rune. And mine are notoriously messy, won't deny that, but I usually save the savegame in the end.

Update! The already released new versions of both the White Dart and my Shuttle replica are added to the general catalogue, as well as some bugfixing on ship files in general and the White Dart in particular. Now to think on what to release next! Bugfixing all my crafts has made me realize I have a lot of good ones awaiting me putting them up. What would you guys like to see next, so I can choose from my waiting list? An exclusive SSTO to the best responses! :P

Rune. I literally have more than 80% of my working ships unreleased. Some of them are even good! ^^'

Hi Rune, I'm a huge fan of the White Dart series, and I'm glad to see a version made specifically for Duna. As I've never been to another planet before, I'd be happy to take the white Dart to Duna as my first interplanetary mission.

However, I'm a bit newbish (you can tell because I've never been to another planet). So is there any specific ascent profile I should follow to get into Kerbin orbit, using the least amount of rocket fuel possible?

Also, I hope you don't mind, but I changed the color (using Kerbpaint) of some of the white darts I downloaded, and changed their names to the color that I painted them. :)

Hi Rune, I'm a huge fan of the White Dart series, and I'm glad to see a version made specifically for Duna. As I've never been to another planet before, I'd be happy to take the white Dart to Duna as my first interplanetary mission.

However, I'm a bit newbish (you can tell because I've never been to another planet). So is there any specific ascent profile I should follow to get into Kerbin orbit, using the least amount of rocket fuel possible?

Also, I hope you don't mind, but I changed the color (using Kerbpaint) of some of the white darts I downloaded, and changed their names to the color that I painted them. :)

I grabbed this from the thread of the White Dart, so I think this is avctually the best possible way of giving this explanation:

Takeoff? Well, they can tailstrike if you are careless, but around 60-70m/s, if you pull up 5-10º, they will lift off without problems and with some margin. Right after that you can do the sharp pull to 45º, and having the camera looking form an angle and not directly behind helps. Note you turn on and off the engines with action groups (1 main engine, 2 switch RAPIER mode, 3 VTOL system), otherwise the VTOL system is in the same stage as the main engine. I'm actually not sure what is your problem... ^^'

Edit: it seems the problem was more of a "first time SSTOer" than anything else, and since that is something I get asked a lot, I will leave this copy-paste of myself here in case anybody needs it or wants to refresh on the basics:

Oh, you mean a SSTO guide! I get asked that so much I should write one:

Lets see, up to about 20 kms it is really easy, leave it in a 45º climb with ASAS on and don't touch a thing. But form there to around 30 kms is where you pick up speed, so you have to pitch down when you get to this point, in order to lower vertical speed to give time for the plane to accelerate. You should get to at least 1,500m/s on jets alone before you think of using rocket power, and there is a handy indicator for vertical speed a lot of people miss to the right of the altimeter, keep an eye on that and consider its scale is logarithmic! Settle for something like 50m/s vertical speed and go for a speed run on those ten kms. By the time you get to 30,000m, though, a couple things have happened:

-You are going so fast you have to pitch down all the time to keep a stable heading, because the planet curves below you so fast (>1,500m/s surface speed).

-Air is getting thin, the intake indicator reads 0.01 or less but it is sort of stuck on that number. This is the reason you can go so fast, the thin air, but you will flame out soon since the only thing keeping air on your engines is the fact that you are going so fast, and soon not even that will work, because your drag/thrust ratio keeps getting worse for sciency reasons.

At that point, you reach serious diminishing returns by staying longer in the atmosphere, so let the plane pitch up by itself until you get the RAPIERs automatic switching to rocket power (No flameout on that puppy unless you set it to manual!), at which point you can close the intakes to cut drag, though that's not necessary. Pitch a bit down to prograde once your vertical speed is above 100m/s to be very efficient, and go to map view to take a look at your apoapsis and time to it, because from then on you are flying like a rocket. Once apoapsis is outside the atmosphere, coast to it adjusting for drag as necessary, and circularize afterwards.

Rune. Well, you could also takeoff as a VTOL, then engage the RAPIER. Or do STOVL operation even!

As to any changes you might have done to the ship, show them off! Maybe somebody will think that they are cooler than the original and try to imitate. I do this thing for that reason, "best form of flattery" and all that.

Rune. And above all, enjoy your flights!

Hello sir. I'm wondering if you would be interested in participating in a group project FishInferno is putting together. You are a boss at building good crafts and you would be a big help

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/87255-Community-mission-log-project-Registration-Open

Sure! I already posted the application, and I am interested. Let's see what comes of it!

Rune. I need a firm hand and a couple shouts to deliver on time, usually.

I'm very proud of myself. Took the KTS MK IV for a spin, launched into a perfect 125km orbit, deployed the satellite, reentered, and landed at the runway unpowered! This thing is very maneuverable.

My only complaint is the door does not open very wide, and it is not like the real thing, which had 2 doors opening on either side. Any way you could rework it like that? And If so, then the docking port can be moved to inside the cargo bay, like the real thing. That inline docking port would go perfectly where that empty small fuel tank is.

Also not too happy about the grey fuel tank to the ET stack, but I see why you did that, as I removed it, and the fuel would not burn evenly from both tanks, making it more and more unstable. Not needed, but parachutes added to the SRBs and the orbiter, but there would be no point.

This has just the perfect amount of RCS for it to work. I tried adding more, so I would have more in orbit, and I didn't even have enough to reach orbit!

Perhaps you could make a cargo version with an empty bay for satellite retrieval? But I'm guessing removing the satellite would make it unstable.

I'm very proud of myself. Took the KTS MK IV for a spin, launched into a perfect 125km orbit, deployed the satellite, reentered, and landed at the runway unpowered! This thing is very maneuverable.

My only complaint is the door does not open very wide, and it is not like the real thing, which had 2 doors opening on either side. Any way you could rework it like that? And If so, then the docking port can be moved to inside the cargo bay, like the real thing. That inline docking port would go perfectly where that empty small fuel tank is.

Also not too happy about the grey fuel tank to the ET stack, but I see why you did that, as I removed it, and the fuel would not burn evenly from both tanks, making it more and more unstable. Not needed, but parachutes added to the SRBs and the orbiter, but there would be no point.

This has just the perfect amount of RCS for it to work. I tried adding more, so I would have more in orbit, and I didn't even have enough to reach orbit!

Perhaps you could make a cargo version with an empty bay for satellite retrieval? But I'm guessing removing the satellite would make it unstable.

Oh, you can make the cargo-less version yourself, load it up, clip the camera inside the bay, grab the satellite by the docking port, and done. It's much more difficult to put some other payload on the bay.... the shift in CoM won't be anything the Vernors can't compensate, and you will have excess delta-v. But before I keep on with the advice... 125kms circular on your first try! Congrats, that's pretty much a perfect launch! You have proven (to me at least) you know your stuff and are therefore officially certified to try anything on this thread (with the possible exception of assembling a Medusa-Class... I'm a bit too god at docking).

As to the cargo bay, sadly, to put two doors opening to the sides I would have to use another trick other than the Klaw hinge (no room for two of those!). I could go for flubby structural pylons moved with landing gears and securing them with docking ports... but that's exactly what GusTurbo is doing (and what Marczex has also been showing off for a while, though I like more Gus' flavour of a solution), so you might want to check out his shuttle. I did put parachutes on the SRBs during dvelopment, BTW, just to check that that would work and they don't hit the ET on separation. But since you need a mod to recover those... you can do that yourself, I'd imagine, and the nosecone looks better and weights less.

Rune. Really great when people tell me how they did with my stuff! :)

yeah, I went ahead and made a few modifications to the shuttle. took the satellite out of the cargo bay, mounted the shielded docking port to the top of the door, so it's kinda like the real thing. I used that new FL-A10 adapter and Standard NC, it's a bit shorter and looks better than the NCS adapter and nose cone.

Taking out the satellite also afforded me the luxury of 2 auxiliary Stratus-V Cylindrified Monopropellant Tanks mounted to the back. This allowed me the luxury of reaching a 150 kilometer orbit, and my luxurious space hotel/fuel depot station, Arachne . Been in orbit for over 17 years, just underwent a massive crew expansion. She needs 2 additional massive solar arrays to power all the mini fridges in the new rooms.

Here's a screenshot in all it's 3fps glory, you can see KTS Mk IV docked to the side there.

14679734718_cc12708004_c.jpg

oh, and as for the SRBs, iirc I tried an experiment a while ago with probe bodies attached to the tops of them, can't remember if they survived or not.

Have to say, of all the stock shuttles I have tried, so far this one is the best. Even tried making one myself, and it was a horrible flipping nightmare.

Update! I merged the Longbow and the SSTO pack into the main thread, plus included a little something I cooked up for the Nodachi as bonus for the long wait in getting things here lately. Enjoy!

Oh, and if someone with the time, skill, and inclination to do so made a composite of images of each plane to head the SSTO pack, that would be awesome. I would, but I'm not the best with paint... ^^'

oh, and as for the SRBs, iirc I tried an experiment a while ago with probe bodies attached to the tops of them, can't remember if they survived or not.

Have to say, of all the stock shuttles I have tried, so far this one is the best. Even tried making one myself, and it was a horrible flipping nightmare.

Thanks! And trying to recover the SRBs wouldn't work stock, the game destroys anything flying when it gets unloaded going past the 2.3 km limit (that's the reason you always lag at that distance when approaching the station).

Rune. With spoilers and such, I'm starting to wonder what the character limit for a post is.

Edited by Rune

Ok, I have been a bit quiet after the last couple of releases, but that's mostly because I have been actually playing the game for a change, and yeah, that's going great:

n9pVu4C.png

34Ri8qr.png

(An Orbital MkVI's Flyback Booster departs SkyDock, where a Base Pack is temporarily moored before heading onto Minmus, while in the second screenshot a Medusa-Class transport in its heavier configuration starts the long voyage to Moho lugging another base pack+Eagle Shuttle. That departure took forever and a half.)

Still, I am a little undecided as to what to focus my building time on next, so I though I would kinda pose you guys a question. You see, I have several projects that are either half done, or that I've postponed but have been rounding my mind for some time. For example, I've always wanted to tackle the Apollo Applications Project with my Phoebus replica, and a floating base pack would be the perfect compliment to the existing Eagle Base Pack. Or you might want a go at that nice station pictured above, or see what I do for really big stations. And if I haven't baited you to read this far with those awesome pictures from before, I don't know what else to do, so here's the deal: You look at the following, also cool, pics and then you pick the one you would like me to develop further. Or, you propose some other kind of project I should focus my time on, and you might spark my imagination into going after that. Anyhow, enjoy the view in any case!

qMowK6t.png

Yup, an Airbreathing version of the Eagle is kinda working. Should I put this and the base together in a v2.0 pack? Split both into separate, v2.0 threads?

pM7fYyy.png

I do use mods and blow stuff every now and then, and perhaps it is time I pay more attention to my skunkworks page. Should I ditch peace and go for a military buildup?

FYhwmwl.png

AAP! There is a challenge about that that I've had bookmarked for ages!

WSS5BHB.png

The slightly improved "modular base in a launch" pack looks even more awesome than before, all packed up neatly like that in orbit and hidden behind a shroud at launch, yet I can build with it stuff like this (WiP, some pieces are still waiting for a ride down). Should I expand on that and make it its own thing?

HrjhA41.png

So yeah, this is a pic-filled post without any craft files, something rare in me, and I do apologize for all the teasing. And I might even copy-paste it in a couple of threads if I don't get any replies here... :blush: But I write it so I can give you guys more of the stuff you really like, so I'm sure you will forgive me! :)

Rune. And those are just the decent screenshots I have around from my career save.

Edited by Rune

I vote military. Recently started using BD's armory.
I second that. :)

Cupcake...

More weapons! 4 votes to 0 atm.

Well, I can see the trend... Next release, in the skunkworks! Thanks for your opinion, and it seems I will be able to make everyone happy in the end. xD

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.