Rune's Slightly Used Vehicles

Rune

Nice ring, and I hope you are wrong about that kind of things making orbit in next version :(

Well, it never gets above 50% aerodynamic efficiency and all of the ring at least is already affected by the current souposphere in a manner that has nothing to do with how the core is treated (Mk2 stuff has a lift value), so I think the over 5km/s it has will still be enough to brute-force it.

Why? I see no aerodynamic issues there.

There are a lot of lifting surfaces (and, in the future, drag sources) above the center of mass of the rocket. Not to mention it is not the most streamlined of things, exactly... Then again, it has the delta-v to say "I don't care about that".

Rune. It's not cheating if you do it with Science! :)

Edited by Rune

There are a lot of lifting surfaces (and, in the future, drag sources) above the center of mass of the rocket. Not to mention it is not the most streamlined of things, exactly... Then again, it has the delta-v to say "I don't care about that".

Rune. It's not cheating if you do it with Science! :)

Will the new aero model reduce the effect of the soupyness?

Will the new aero model reduce the effect of the soupyness?

Seeing as how lift now follows the true equation proportional to v^2, I'd guess so. Though they haven't talked as much about drag. I guess it's a WiP, so we'll know when we know!

Rune. I think I now know what not-really-new thing I'll post on the exchange tomorrow. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Just want to say that the White Dart 0.25 is one of the few SSTOs I've flown that I've returned to the runway w/ more than just fumes in the tank (had half my fuel left), and I was using the science version! Nice design! I'm thinking I will add this to my next Duna mission and see how it handles on Duna. I've been looking for a craft that will let me explore Duna somewhat efficiently.

great planes. Really inspired me to rethink my own SSTO's (normally horrendous high part count, fuel chugging, high engine count monsters who perform very badly).

Then I did just what I set myself out to do! I myself learned in no small part by watching other people's builds here, so I'm glad to return the favor.

Just want to say that the White Dart 0.25 is one of the few SSTOs I've flown that I've returned to the runway w/ more than just fumes in the tank (had half my fuel left), and I was using the science version! Nice design! I'm thinking I will add this to my next Duna mission and see how it handles on Duna. I've been looking for a craft that will let me explore Duna somewhat efficiently.

Glad to hear that! The little guy is certainly useful. About Duna... well, fuel margin are really tight there! The Science version should really only make it to orbit if you manage to land almost without spending fuel (which is, shall we say, doubtful to say the least). So I'd recommend you to use the scout version, there you will have a bigger margin, or using some mod resource system so you can refuel on the ground, and therefore you can use the VTOL engines extensively to set the plane down.

Rune. There is a 0.90 version, with the baseline being an empty cargo bay and the fuel lines completely hidden... might update when I get home.

• 2 weeks later...

The theme for these holidays is "update time!". I have "new" and/or updated versions of a lot of stuff! The Von Braun Station, the Dao, the White Dart, all the Grand Tour architecture, all the General Lifters line... even a 75 part Eagle "lite" version without airbreathing equipment.

I hope I can get through that whole list soon, but now comes the big question: new thread for them, or heavy updates of the old ones?

Edit: what the? Are we all mods? I think we took this April's fool thing a tad too far...

Rune. It'll be a battle against my procrastinating instincts.

Heyo! I've always been a fan of your aircraft, I think it's what you do best. Have you ever considered doing an update version of the Longbow? The one with the rover and science lab? I think it could be made even better with the new gizmos. Anyway, I'd leave you some rep, but I'm out for the day. Thanks!

Heyo! I've always been a fan of your aircraft, I think it's what you do best. Have you ever considered doing an update version of the Longbow? The one with the rover and science lab? I think it could be made even better with the new gizmos. Anyway, I'd leave you some rep, but I'm out for the day. Thanks!

You do have a point there, I might revisit the concept. But with 1.0 getting closer every day, and the aerodinamic revamp looming large in the horizon... I have held back many a plane because of that. It's on the to-do list, for sure.

I really like the Von Braun Space Station, but I can't get it into orbit because it keeps spinning and crashing. I've nearly killed 1200 kerbals trying to do this. I like the white dart, and and the Tank and APV from Rune's Skunkworks.

Well, that's weird, it's a pretty standard asparagus launcher. You should see the new one! That's way weird-er:

hZ6BSbU.png

In any case, make sure you are controlling from somewhere that points up (i.e the cuppola), keep SAS at all times, and do the first ten kilometers straight up vertical without touching anything..

Yup, been doing that for a while. Kashua sure struck gold when he discovered that...

Rune. Also, update! All the stuff I've lately released, Dwagon and Spatha and such, has been added.

• 3 weeks later...

I love these, and I just used the K-33 to deliver a Moho probe's fuel tank/booster tank to orbit!

I crashed on landing... Poor "Big Daddy"...

Also, where can I get the really large orbital centrifuge station that uses SRBs?

DMSP out (I used this before I first saw you, Rune).

Mm.. I really like your crafts! They're incredibly useful, clever and good looking. :)

Keep up the good work, Rune!

Thanks, I will do my best! In fact, if past experience is anything to go by, I will get even better soon, just like the last time I thought "ok, I get this game, there are no more tricks to learn". :rolleyes:

I love these, and I just used the K-33 to deliver a Moho probe's fuel tank/booster tank to orbit!

I crashed on landing... Poor "Big Daddy"...

Also, where can I get the really large orbital centrifuge station that uses SRBs?

DMSP out (I used this before I first saw you, Rune).

You crashed a K-33? Ran short of the runway, or just did something panicky? That one (when empty) has so much lift/weight ratio, the main issue is actually stalling due to low speed before you make it to the runway. Though I see how that could happen :). Myself, I work with trajectories until I get the impact point in the runway at 0º AoA, so I slightly overshoot it and have to pitch down aggressively when I come upon KSC to get into a final approach to my marker at something stupid like a 45º glide slope (saves time descending at lower speeds, and you save some energy in the form of height to perform last-minute corrections until the proverbial last minute), then pull up sharply a few hundreds of meters before the runway. Helps a lot to have a "start of the runway" flag, you select that as target, and then you can check your glide slope against the target marker.

Anyhow, the station you speak of hasn't really been released, actually. It seems I never got around to it... anyhow, that petition sounds about as good an excuse to give you guys my crazier launch in quite a while. This one is similar to the file shown on the pic above, that lifts both a small ring with lab and cupola (to comply with contracts), and the stackable big ring you speak of. I might have a file with a lifter only for the big ring (I know for sure I have one only for the small one), so if you want I may try looking for it or slapping something together. But you do have the parts to build it in there, or use it as is. Enjoy!

http://www./download/96o5anyupw6s1se/Von+Braun+Station.craft

Rune. I am still pondering launch options... when 1.0 comes, lifting these things is going to be interesting, I'd bet.

Edited by Rune

Ok, thanks!

I crashed in the mountains, aiming for a flattish area in a valley.

Oohhh, you ran out of speed to go further in search of a flat area. Yup, those days where I didn't use the trajectories mod to nail KSC on every try, from any orbit, I remember those... and I don't miss 'em one bit. Plus, on this particular bird, once you go subsonic at low altitudes, you know you are not going much further... "drag" (the aesthetic lifting surfaces making the leading edge) steals all your kinetic energy quickly.

Rune. You are welcome!

Hello rune. I don't see any company partnerships on your OP, do you not have partnerships? If you do, Would you be interested in one with The FIST?

Also, usually when I say partnership I mean more than just putting each other's link in the OP, usually my partnerships actually involve partnering. (like with Zokesia, we staretd a partner project to revive the old "kiwi" single-stage-to-duna-and-back-with-cargo.)

New thing about 1.0: Heating is really hard to handle on outbound trips via spaceplane. 2000 temp for most spaceplane parts. [also, heat radiates in space and solar panels do it well]

Edited by Tangle

New thing about 1.0: Heating is really hard to handle on outbound trips via spaceplane. 2000 temp for most spaceplane parts. [also, heat radiates in space and solar panels do it well]

I'm running experiments like crazy. All I can say is, things are much different now, and expect nothing with wings here to work as advertised, in principle. But I will get back to you all and don't worry, the next SSTO won't be long now. :)

Rune. Thay are certainly doable, and in some aspects actually easier.

Hi Rune

I just visited this Thread the first Time and i must say your crafts are very cool.

It immediatly reminded me my SSTO i posted some days ago (winglets on wingtips an narrowed...).

Have to take a closer look to your ideas. i give you a heartly rep:wink:

Low twr planes seem to be out of the question...

Yup, the Mach wall appears to preclude anything that can't go over it at under 15kms... then again, lift is also a big factor I am finding out, giving you most of the drag. Having enough wing to fly on low angles of attack all the way up to 10kms is crucial, unless you want to pay a huge penalty in TWR to go supersonic. If you can go supersonic and have >1.5km/s in the tanks, tough, you are golden, the only thing that changes form then on is the climb rate to get 1km/s out of the airbreathers.

Hi Rune

I just visited this Thread the first Time and i must say your crafts are very cool.

It immediatly reminded me my SSTO i posted some days ago (winglets on wingtips an narrowed...).

Have to take a closer look to your ideas. i give you a heartly rep:wink:

Thanks! Everything got broken with 1.0, of course, but I hope to slowly build it back up, maybe even better this time now that I have learned more. :)

And because long time no pics here... a selection of what I'm working on right now, in between career missions:

A liquid fuel-only SSTO!

GSorA20.png

A handy general purpose shuttle with 18mT payload! Perfect for base modules from my pack, while fulfilling tourism contracts to LKO.

Z50qaGY.png

The big guy of the pack, this is how 40mT payloads will get to orbit, once I polish reentry.

qKueIDl.png

And of course... my signature bird, the Dart:

cIDNETE.png

It will be a long time before they are polished, tough. I've got to learn an almost whole new game!

Rune. In the meantime, go grab some science. :)

Edited by Rune

The Dart has grown hugely since the first version. Looks very nice though. :)

Well, the very first version was clipped to kingdom come (two turbojets and a LV-T30, from before RAPIERs), but yeah, I wanted to keep the interchangeable mission module of the 0.90 one. And that much payload required two RAPIERs to push past Mach 1, which short of sized the whole thing up. Any airbreathing SSTO will be heavier now that the jet cutoff speed is almost half of what it used to.

Rune. On the bright side, they are more capable as rockets, and I love the challenge.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.