Rune's Slightly Used Vehicles

Rune

well it's really hard to make Mk. 3 X-37b fly...it's like sticking a brick on top of a paper airplane...

That's what I like about mine, the launcher:

PQMbTsT.png

9SVTn4b.png

It is aerodynamic and stuff! And with cowling for the engines that makes launch clamps unnecessary!

Rune. Plus, a clean 1.5 stage to orbit with no fuel lines, very R-7 like.

Edited by Rune

Dude nice idea. Using The new cargo bays as engine fairings could both shield the engine, save part count, and look nice. No regrets here!

EDIT: I still really wish the black colors in the new vs. old vs. certain Mk2 parts was fixed. You can literally place five spaceplane parts that have a black and white color scheme and all of them will be different. Exemplified in your gorgeous Skylon. I really like that Skylon too! I made a spin off one called

which looked similar but has less cargo room. Edited by Avera9eJoe

Dude nice idea. Using The new cargo bays as engine fairings could both shield the engine, save part count, and look nice. No regrets here!

EDIT: I still really wish the black colors in the new vs. old vs. certain Mk2 parts was fixed. You can literally place five spaceplane parts that have a black and white color scheme and all of them will be different. Exemplified in your gorgeous Skylon. I really like that Skylon too! I made a spin off one called

which looked similar but has less cargo room.

Plus it stabilizes the rocket by giving the engine a lift value, don't forget about that part! And glad you like the Skylon, I like it too because even though it is a very simple build, it is very refined at the same time. And yeah, the colors are a bit all over the place right now, but that is what the game is about now, polish, so expect more than one re-texture on future updates. The most likely candidate to stay is the color scheme that was later introduced, so expect the "MkIII white" to slowly spread out.

Rune. The tailcone in particular needs some re-texturing love.

That's what I like about mine, the launcher:

http://i.imgur.com/PQMbTsT.png

http://i.imgur.com/9SVTn4b.png

It is aerodynamic and stuff! And with cowling for the engines that makes launch clamps unnecessary!

Rune. Plus, a clean 1.5 stage to orbit with no fuel lines, very R-7 like.

yeah it's not that hard to make those kind of rockets but i was talking about a replica using the Mk.3 parts- you will need a lot of wings...(but i found a way to have the tail look similar with mk.3 to mk.2 adapter on the sides of the back )

• 3 weeks later...

Update! I've added the Dao to the catalogue and cleaned up a bit (the old shuttle replica was still there... away with you, non-beta-compliant ship!). Also, I just released the new Eagle on the exchange, go check it out!

Rune. After the usual shake-out period, it'll get added here or course.

I thought Rune didn't take partnerships.

Yup, the whole "sharing names thing" never convinced me. I do am open to actual collaborations, though... Hatbat and me have been collaborating for a while now, for example, and that's great! I just define collaborations as actually doing stuff together, not listing each other on our pages to get more traffic.

So if you have a hell of an idea you need a builder for, sure, give me a shout! I'm not fast at getting back to people, but I eventually do, and if I like it I will be glad to be participating.

Rune. It is flattering to receive the invite, though.

Update! The Eagle Munar Shuttle has been added to the general catalogue. Also, you might want to check out the Base Pack I just released on the Exchange, it'll get added here soonâ„¢ and short of goes with it.

Rune. Lets see if I can make a thing out of updating R-SUV as I release stuff.

Hey Rune! Great crafts as always but i did have one question. Would you be able to write up a quick flight progression for getting the Eagle V to orbit? It doesnt seem to lift off kerbin unless the Rapiers are in self contained mode. Is this correct? Any help would be appreciated! Also, Do you use the nukes for horizontal speed or do you pitch down so the rapiers and turbojets give horizontal velocity? Thanks!

Hey Rune! Great crafts as always but i did have one question. Would you be able to write up a quick flight progression for getting the Eagle V to orbit? It doesnt seem to lift off kerbin unless the Rapiers are in self contained mode. Is this correct? Any help would be appreciated! Also, Do you use the nukes for horizontal speed or do you pitch down so the rapiers and turbojets give horizontal velocity? Thanks!

Wait, what? :Runs off to check the file: Oops, sorry! :blush: The side tanks should be empty of oxidizer for an optimal kerbin SSTO experience. It's fixed in the file, but you can also do it on your own in like ten seconds. It seems that I was checking checking vacuum delta-v with that file and forgot to save it with the correct values ^^'. Thanks for bringing that up!

Anyhow, after that flying it is dirty simple (though the given payload is the maximum payload, you might try building something lighter or offloading a bit of fuel from the tank if you have difficulties):

Get to 10 kms flying vertical, to 20 flying mostly vertical, and from 20 to 25 you drop your vertical velocity to under 50m/s to speed up as much as you can, until you are nearing 1,500m/s or so. Then build up vertical velocity to leave the atmosphere, and when you start to hear the engines whine, switch the RAPIERS to rocket mode. Afterwards, the jets will also give out, but by then you are almost in orbit. Don't let it flame out and play it safe, the fuel margin is big unless you want to bring a heavy payload directly to Munar orbit without refuelling. Leave the nukes for circularization, because the TWR with those is tiny, and you should have been controlling from the top docking port the whole time so the navball reads right.

Rune. And I waited for comments on the other thread! Good luck it was a minor thing.

Edited by Rune

• 2 weeks later...

Update! I've added the Base-In-A-Box in its different versions to the OP, replacing the (very) old surface base, at the end of the post, and obviously, that means there is something new released in the Exchange for your beta tester pleasure.

Rune. Up next, I think it's time for some SSTOs again, don't you think? :)

Update! The Von Braun Station has been added, and since I noticed the Modula Propulsion System wasn't here, I also added that to the OP. Two for the price of one this time around!

Rune. I think I'm getting into a weekly rhythm with this.

The Falcon SSTO is awesome, but I can't seem to get Bob out of the lander can. I tried fiddling around a little with the offset tool but I still couldn't get anyone out of the cockpit. Just wanted to make sure you knew, because I couldn't find anything else talking about it.

Yeah, but by the time I posted that one, something changed in the game and it all bugged out (that craft is pre-0.25). I think I am going to just take it out of the catalogue when I update, I tried fiddling a bit to free the cabin door, but I can't seem to get it working again either.

Rune. A shame, really, but that was never a serious ship.

Wow damn, you've got a lot of craft.

Well, I've been at this for a while. ;) I do spend a lot of time in the VAB, though! I have literally hundreds of craft files dancing around my computer.

Is it bad that I thought the Modula Propulsion System was a separate craft?

It is, in fact, a separate craft. Actually, four support probes, two big tanks, and the launcher that puts the whole thing on almost-orbital trajectory.

Sadly the download for the An-225 with MAKS spaceplane doesnt work.

I'll take a look at that. Could you be a tiny bit more specific? It doesn't download, or the file won't load on KSP, or what? the DL works for me and the file seems to have the correct name...

Rune. Currently deciding what to release next. Ideas? I might have something that you suggest already done.

I would love to see a tiny VTO/L SSTO like the Beetle!

I haven't checked it, bug I'm afraid .90 must have broken it, with all the fuselage changes and all that.

Done! I hadn't added the Quakken here yet, so there you go, a tiny VSSTO to take its place. And in case you don't go for tiny, I also added the X-33 replica to the shuttle section in the OP too. Check them out if you missed them in the spacecraft exchange! Sadly, I also think the beetle got hit hard by the 0.25 update. I loaded it, and sadly it hasn't aged well. It kind or relied on the small adapter not being symmetrical, and looks all wrong now. Anyhow, the Quakken will serve its purpose, given that now 3-kerbal crews are a thing. No single stage to Mun unless you have a LKO fuel depot, though.

Also, I've been playing with rings again, and laughing in the face of aerodynamics. This thing makes orbit:

bsO2EKw.png

Rune. The disturbing thing is, I have a feeling it will make orbit in 1.0, too.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.