[It's finally here!] Apollo Replica "MUNBUG XII" Saturn V, CSM, Lander, Buggy

Hey Mulbin!

Whoops!... it looks like your copy may have some disconnected struts!

Never thought I'd see someone use the abort on Munbug. I haven't even used it and I'm not the best pilot here on the forums.

It's good to know it works in an emergency :)

It just needs ullage motors now.
...and an inter stage.

Yep, both on the list for future versions. Ullage is fairly simple, but the interstage will need a bit of work.

Yep, both on the list for future versions. Ullage is fairly simple, but the interstage will need a bit of work.

Well, for my own Saturn V, i went with a decoupler on the side of the second stage, which connect to a ring of structural panels. (it's a bit hard to do round, no symmetry tool available for this kind of work , for sure :P) - another decoupler at the bottom of the ring, linked to a beam which 'recenter' the attachment point, for putting the first stage central tank - then it's just a matter of adding separatrons to the ring.

then the decoupling works this way : on staging, the lower decoupler separate the first stage from the interstage ring, and the separatrons ignite. while the separatrons are burning, stage a new time to fire the J2's, and a few seconds later, you can stage a final time to drop the interstage ring. (you can easily modify this on my Saturn V rev2 to have the 'rev3' , by removing the separatrons on the bottom of the second stage, and keeping those on the interstage, and changing the staging a bit)

Well, for my own Saturn V, i went with a decoupler on the side of the second stage, which connect to a ring of structural panels.

I'm working on a similar technique on my interstage based on some tricks I learned making the engine ring for my Mercury Atlas.

w901.jpg

yes, the center engine shut downs early, i think they used that to reduce the TWR as the fuel tanks drains - added something like that to my saturn 1B - the 4 center engines shuts down few seconds before full shutdown, simply by adding buffer fuel tanks to the outer engines - the outer engines are fed from this additional tank, which is fed by the stage's main tank. so when the main tank is drained, the center engines shut downs, while the outer still have the 'buffer' to pump fuel from.

Edited by sgt_flyer

The S-II does the same thing, too.

Yes, but Mulbin, you still have to remove that mainsail at the second stage... (and maybe the solution for this is Jebini Titan first stage :wink:)

BI1zf27.gif

Edited by Nephf

Mulbin? One more thing: The descent stage's engine at the lander. If you look at that pic, you see that the bell is huge. but yours is very tiny.

rqzpLj2.gif

The next engine up in size would be too big for Mulbins new lander. There would be no space for the fuel or the rover.

MJ

This really illustrates how important it was for me to shrink the LEM down a lot! It now fits nicely inside a much more streamlined fairing :)

And Gus... that tiny lander is awesome! You should start a tiny spaceship repository thread... I'm sure we all have some mini ships to show off!

I made my own version of Gus' tiny landers for my Pico N1-L3 and Saturn V:

0g1wg42.png

They don't looks as good, but they have lower part counts and are much lighter.

Building really small is quite challenging. There are so many hurdles to overcome: from mass restrictions (the pico LEM is only 0.8 tons!) to size restrictions and still having to maintain enough delta-v to do its job.

Edited by Giggleplex777

My tiny lander isn't terribly functional at the moment. the docking port on the front makes it very unbalanced, and it seems to have no torque. Would adding a probe core help that? This version is also too short, as you get some helmet sticking out through the top of the docking port. Need to fix that.

Only 58 parts.

Edited by GusTurbo

You should make your own mini Saturn V! :D

It must be that time of the year. Ive been working on a small Saturn 5 and Lm for a while now. Its not 'Pico' small, around 450 parts right now.

I'm looking forward to seeing yours Gus. Near completion?

MJ