Am I the only one...

Colonel_Panic

who's never used the quicksave/load feature? I mean where's the challenge in this game if you can just take a mulligan after blowing up your rocket and scattering the debris across the munar surface?

Heck, I didn't even know there was such a feature until recently. I just assumed they wouldn't include one in this kind of game.

I've used it twice, one for each... I quicksaved once because my station was lagging my game and thought there was gonna be trouble, and the other time I tried to reload my probe that I sent to eeloo, as I wasn't paying attention and burnt the wrong way during circularisation and ran out of fuel... Just for it to quick load me to the initial launch haha

You play it your way, i'll play it my way.

For example, I use quicksave every now and then if I've spent 5 hours doing something. I also never use any MODs. But that's my choice and now one can tell me otherwise.

Nope I started out not using quick save for the same reasons as yourself, then had too many Kraken attacks. So now I use it like a check point when my craft change Spheres of influence.

:kiss: where is the challenge in using a computer game to simulate a space program. When it can be done for real. :sticktongue:

Edited by bonyetty

Nope. I'm not wasting 4 hours piecing together a Laythe vehicle with habitats, rovers, and satellites, and the another few hours flying it out to Jool, only to aerobrake too low and crash.

There is the point...

I launch an appolo-style (mod free, no quick save-launch allowed) mission : near 15 minutes to desing, built and launch the whole thing... to figure out that my trans-Münar stage is too low on fiuel : it as enought to circularize, but not to return. OK, I send my lander just to see if there is enough in it to refiuel the other stage when I will come back... And failed miserably at landing, crashing at 160 m/s.

Total : about 1/4h lost.

Back at the VAB, I just put a bigger tank on my transfer stage and have a lot of fun during one hour completing the mission.

Now.

I launch a Jool mission : one core stage (command pod, living quarters), propulsion stage, one non-atmo lander, one atmo lander, one Kethane miner, one Kethane bringer, 4 probes, 2 rovers. All of this stuff in one ship.

I spend about 3 or 4 days to desing the whole thing, and have near 20 launches to assemble it in orbit (refieuling missions included). Even with the help of MechJeb, the building job takes me about 3 hours. And near one hour more to get on to Jool.

And I fail miserably at the arobreaking maneuver...

Total : 4 hours lost.

You find your pleasure where you whant. If you whant to spend an other 4 hours to redo all the building stuff and injection on Jool, that's free to you.

I prefer quicksave and quickload, raise my apoapsis and go on with my mission...

on one hand its kind of cheap. but on the other, you built your rocket(s), launched it, docked it with 10 other things, flew it to duna and accidentally hit the planet, im not starting all that over again (especially when it took and entire weekend to do the mission). i say "ok, you got me", then pound that f9 key. my time is valuable to me.

I hate using quicksave because i agree it takes some of the challenge away but if ive spent like 3 hours getting to the edge of the solar system only to smack into a planet then i think its ok to use it.

I know it's there, I'm just not used to using it so I almost never use it. Flew too long without it. Then again I have a lot of fun lately by warping to the point of the mission where I want to be (in orbit of Duna, just before landing for example) and then just see if my crazy lander would work.

who's never used the quicksave/load feature? I mean where's the challenge in this game if you can just take a mulligan after blowing up your rocket and scattering the debris across the munar surface?

Heck, I didn't even know there was such a feature until recently. I just assumed they wouldn't include one in this kind of game.

I never use it either and the one time I did try and use it, it threw me back to the launch-platform, ever since then I don't even consider learning how to use it.

Also, I think I just like the tension of a mission after 3 hours of work it could all go wrong or you could complete it flawlessly.

You still have to consider that this is a game and not real life.

If you play a game for about 3hours, "die" and start all over again because there wasn't a save-function I would consider it bad gamedesign or bad gameplay. I think squad did well in not forcing you to use the quicksave and the game doesn't save itself so you have to decide when to do a quicksave.

I know that a lot of people want this to be a realistic game but i think things like this don't go into the "realistic" part but rather into the "game" one

I have to balance my game playing with the rest of my life. I pick up KSP and play for a few hours, then due to life / work commitments, might not be back on the PC for a couple of days. So for me my gaming is a purely pleasure experience / escapism and I have no requirement to waste 4 hours of my time smashing into Jool as I try to aerobrake for a mission to Laythe. If I want to waste 4 hours I can go and weed the garden, paint the decking or try to sort out the Megajolt timing and fuelling on my Haynes Roadster.

Quicksave saved my computers life once.

I spent about a week building a ship in orbit, from about 30 launches. At some point the game clipped one part through the ship and blew it up. If I didn't have quicksave, my computer would have been thrown against the wall in disgust.

On missions to Duna I don't use quicksave because if I **** that up it's my own fault but this one time my plan was to send 2 rockets to Duna, dock them together there to refuel the one with the rover and then go to Jool and land on Laythe. The docking and going to Jool wasn't too hard but to get a rendez-vous with Laythe I needed quite alot of luck, I needed several tries for that and even more to land on a piece of land. That whole operation took an entire day almost.

85jmbG0.jpg

I use quick save because of the times when my craft explodes and it isn't my fault. Check the map in mid burn and switch back to a fiery explosion. Reload and I'm back cruising to Laythe without a problem. If there comes a time when all spontaneous explosions stop, then I would probably use it much less. Also on my old computer I got used to using it because KSP would crash every 20 minutes.

I use quicksave all the time.

It's an extremely useful tool for testing things out. Say you want to test something at the KSC, and it involves two or three craft. Now, let's say there is some complicated maneuver/function that often breaks something. I'll quicksave with the everything in place, and proceed to load up the save to save time

I rarely use Quicksave, but I'm planning to start making limited use of it on major key points during some missions.

Finish assembling my station/survey science vessel? I'm hopefully going to remember to quick safe. Odds are good that I'll forget about it if something goes wrong, but sill.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.