What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I was thinking more intakes.....errr floatation devices..... need to be added to the Sea Voyager MKIV (The Rove-Boat) and had a bit of an unexpected event happen. Upon enter the water there were so many little splashes from the craft hitting the water surface that it dropped my system to about 10 FPS, and even going across the water was painful to listen to over my headset. In this picture, while hard to see the added pieces, you can see the rooster tails being shot up by this craft, and it was going about 75m/s (top speed with the added mass).

10eplhl.png

While it was funny to see and play with, there is no way I will be using that many floatation devices on it in the future. Now time to take it east and see how much fuel I use crossing the first ocean, and if I need to add more fuel to it or not.

Created the most crap Jet in the long, sad history of sad jets. Even with three reactions wheels and thrust vectoring it just spun to the right, or up, or, really, just any direction that wasn't the direction I wanted it to go. I'm thinking about putting the engines on backward and seeing if flies better that way. I went on to try to build an SSTO that ended its pitiful flight by slamming into the ocean at half the speed of smell. Finally, I created Brutus. It's an Ion Probe with a parachute and landing legs I plan to send to some little moon when something gets to the proper transfer window. What I like about it: the entire first two stages are solid rocket fuel that pushes its Apoapsis out to 200 km. Then I turn on a tiny liquid fuel engine to get it into a proper orbit. Also the Ion probe has no solar cells. It's slow as hell but I can burn it at full power even on the dark side of a planet.

F576FF681B9430DE800C39C7BF1DC1853EC19A04

Normally this is where I would put the things I was saying as this happened... But that would just be a pile of expletives.

50A25006D439B158D17AE45F42F5DB361EE9EA9D

After those explosions, it was light enough to fly... Except we'd lost the wings.

28680B1AF4E95A82AA6CE1A25ABF6C5E9F6A01AB

The Brutus

0077BF5F573A7ED966F150B1CB2E005B1DE0A24D

It occurs to me that taking a picture showing off this thing working in the dark... is really dark. Yeah... so that little blue ring is the Ion engine, and that shadow is the probe... yeah.

Edited by Beeburgers

I installed the volumetric clouds mod, launched a ScanSat and then just sat back and looked at the clouds...

2qulSuo.jpg

...oh, and I tested a ridiculously overpowered successor to the above plane.

ky4PpVr.jpg

qbw215H.jpg

Whilst that plane has Single-Stage-To-Anywhere capability, I think it looks kinda ugly compared to my previous planes, so it's back to the drawing board.

Edited by SufficientAnonymity

I gave my Kerbals a vacation and they ended up building this rather bizarre contraption

<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/g9VBN/embed"></iframe>

I'm not sure if they plan to try and take it to other planets but I also wouldn't put it past them

Having the other day nursed my Automated Drilling Rig - 1 onto one of the mare on Minmus, I'd fired it up only to realise that there'd been a slight slip up back at KSC, to wit - no fuel lines connecting the kethane processing unit and the fuel tanks. Durn. So the follow-up manned mission piloted by Bill was to do double duty; deliver a hab to get a base started next to the ADR, and take some parts to fix both the lack of fuel lines and the lack of power that had only become apparent when the ADR-1 was fired up for the first time. Well, I don't know if Bill got distracted by a loose packet of crisps floating around the lander capsule, because he usually nails his landings pretty well. Not this time. he landed with a little too much sideways velocity and one side slightly low, just sufficient to knock the ship into a spin and bounce it off the surface. Desperately, he tried to regain control, to no avail. Then he tried to make it to the hatch, but found himself pinned to his seat by the spin. Then... BOOM! RIP Bill Kerman, you will be missed.

It was decided to send up one of the rookie Kerbonauts, Wehrgel Kerman, in a simple one-man ship, with the sole objective of getting the ADR unit working. Wehrgel made a good landing a couple of kilometres from the ADR, then hopped his ship to within easy reach of it. Time to get out and fix things! But after an hour of trying one thing after another, nothing, fuel just would not transfer between the kethane processing unit and the fuel tanks on the ADR. Wehrgel reported back to KSC. Within half an hour, KSC had one less engineer in its ranks and was advertising the job. The engineering team rethought the ADR design from scratch, and triumphantly presented the directors with a design coming in at a little over five tonnes - about half the weight of the ADR-1 - and better balanced and more controllable to boot.; 'Build it;' they were told. Meanwhile Wehrgel settled in to wait for the new ADR to be sent up.

Some days later, the ADR-2 arrived, and landed a couple of kilometres from Wehrgel and the ADR-1. That was a bit inconvenient, but after checking that the ADR-2 was working as advertised, Wehrgel set about shifting both his ship and the ADR-1 closer to the ADR-2 - no sense risking the new unit! Once this was done, he set about cannibalising the ADR-1 to provide more solar panels and batteries for the ADR-2 as its one flaw was that it was still somewhat underpowered. Once that was done, Wehrgel admired his handiwork, then jetted up to go over to his ship - and flew straight through one of the solar panels, stunning himself in the process. Fortunately, he hadn't jetted too high, and landed with no more than a few minor bruises and a bit of a scratch on his faceplate. He then removed the directional solar cell units from his ship, replaced the broken unit on ADR-2 and stowed the spare on ADR-1. Next job was to refuel his ship, which had had barely enough fuel left for the trip back to Kerbin when it landed. This went without a hitch, so then it was just a case of waiting until Minmus' rotation was pointing Wehrgel's ship the right way, and launching straight up. A week later, Wehrgel Kerman successfully returned to Kerbin to a hero's welcome with the first sample to be returned from the surface of Minmus! Next mission will be the second attempt to land a hab unit on Minmus.

Edited by Esme
edited for typos

I landed on Tylo using a combined transfer stage/single-stage lander.

tylo_ship_4.jpeg

The landing began with a stupid but harmless mistake. The lander was placed between the command module and the drop tank, so I had to detach it and redock the command module with the fuel tank. After undocking from the drop tank, it felt like a good idea to rotate the ship quickly and throw away the lander, so that redocking the command module would be easy. I just forgot that the lander was about five times heavier than the command module, so it actually went the other way around.

tylo_ship_5.jpeg

It took several quickloads to determine how the lander should be handled. The landing was essentially one long burn from 68 kilometers to the surface, with a bit of free fallling between 27 km and 25 km, after I had killed most of the horizontal speed. With a little help from the radial engines, the lander touched down in one piece, with only one broken landing strut.

tylo_ship_6.jpeg

Tylo landings are serious business.

tylo_ship_7.jpeg

Getting back to orbit was easy. The radial engines helped to get the climb rate to 100 m/s, after which it was just like taking off from the Mun. The first attempt was succesful, requiring something like 2650-2700 m/s of delta-v to reach a 20 km orbit.

Then it was time to reassemble the ship. I have done a lot of docking with badly balanced assemblies, such as utility tugs pushing big space station modules, but this one was the worst. Every rotation had to be balanced by a translation, and every translation by rotation, and somehow the SAS managed to mess with the approach speed after every move. Eventually I just ignored the instruments, and did my first visual docking in a couple of months.

Wished my computer was less rubbish. I was exploring a modular rocket design that looked pretty good, 60 tons to LKO in one 3.75m core, which took some work doing. But then I stopped and realised that 26 parts in my first stage was just too much for the intended use of ganging between 3 and 7 such cores together for bigger payloads :-(

(7 big SRBs, 7 reaction wheels, and 12 struts, in case you're wondering.)

Back to just building the simplest and most boring rocket possible then.

Got frustrated trying to move a class E asteroid I had previously rendezvoused with, so after hooked a docking port to it I unlatched my tug, jettisoned the docking adapter's propulsion module, grabbed it with the tug, then moved off to about a kilometer and a half and gunned the engine full throttle right at that big stubborn rock. The impact only made it start to spin at about one revolution every four seconds. That's the most I've ever been able to budge the darn thing.

I made a personal goal today with my free time and completed the tech tree of a fresh career mode, never leaving the Kerbin system. All within 6 hours (with a few breaks).

What gets me is that even though I completed the tech tree within the Kerbin system, I know from personal experience that there's at least enough remaining science in the area to fill another half of the tree (if not more) if done properly.

Edited by Jas1126

I made a personal goal today with my free time and completed the tech tree of a fresh career mode, never leaving the Kerbin system. All within 6 hours (with a few breaks).

What gets me is that even though I completed the tech tree within the Kerbin system, I know from personal experience that there's at least enough remaining science in the area to fill another half of the tree (if not more) if done properly.

That's why when I restart my career for 0.24 I'm going to (unless Squad beats me to it) install a little modmanager config that cuts all non-eva, non-crewreport science in half. And I may cut Gravioli by more than that.

Trying to make a compact, minimally-modded SSTO with over-the-wing engine pods. It just looks better that way. And unfortunately, looking good is all it's good for at the moment, it can still only make suborbital. But I'm getting there!

screenshot589.png

screenshot590.png

screenshot588.png

1Hh8xSX.png

o3fgArS.png?1

yVM0LpK.png

Stop looking so happy! You're reenacting the crucifiction damnit! This was a serious event!

As well as marking Good Friday, I launched an asteroid mission, which turned into an abort system demonstration when my middle stage decided to ram my last stage. I'm not using that rocket design again.

Edited by Tw1

My Kerbal's vacation was extended and after having successfully created a boat and ski's they decided it was time add an extra element to the fun....Air!

<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/hez2j/embed"></iframe>

Unfortunately the nose likes to get pulled into a strong dive after a while and you can only pull out so many times before your luck runs out. Still it's a proof of concept at least. Tomorrow the invention of Kerbal Bungee Jumping!

My Kerbal's vacation was extended and after having successfully created a boat and ski's they decided it was time add an extra element to the fun....Air!

Unfortunately the nose likes to get pulled into a strong dive after a while and you can only pull out so many times before your luck runs out. Still it's a proof of concept at least. Tomorrow the invention of Kerbal Bungee Jumping!

Answer: MOAR SAS! :D