What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I gave planes another go - but they always turn out to be screwdrivers/ocean-darts/... :(

Try SCE to Auxiliary. If it makes you feel better, replace "RAPIER" with "cluster of one Turbojet and three 24-77s" and "13 tonnes" with "15 tonnes"; the rest of the guidelines apply. That guide helped me go from building good ocean-bound lawn darts to building flying parts machines that deliver Munar landers to orbit and bring them back down again...

Myself, yesterday I rescued Nelily from orbit. Got another Scientist for my troubles. That seems to be the only way to get those guys in my current Career save - the only Kerbals that ever show up for recruitment at KSC are Pilots and Engineers.

I also adjusted the design of a VTOL I've been working on. I think I need to go reference DocMoriarty's guide again; I'll just put it that way. Though I am hopeful I'll be able to deploy that craft to run some surface pressure surveys soon.

Hi,

my first post here. Built an ion powered SSTO, that is able to fly by Rapier and Ion engine. Ion works in Atmo too, but only for emergency, or if you miss the strip by a few miles. This plane can do absolutely nothing except reach Kerbin orbit or fly around in atmo. Didn't test farther flight. Batteries are for buffer performance, but it can run on solar only if you get perfect sun.

9fdfv9jy.png

4vpm9ixh.png

I spun up my very first Real Solar System/Realism Overhaul install and promptly got my butt handed to me.

Yep. I didn't have a flight stick back when I started toying with RSS, and promptly learned flying with the keyboard is not an option. I'm still a stubborn pilot though, and refuse to surrender launch control to some accursed robot or kOS script.

--

Also:

Hi,

my first post here. Built an ion powered SSTO....

Welcome to the forums! I need to try out ION-powered flight again soon....

Edited by Cydonian Monk

KSC Press Release:

RIP Ronbart Kerman, pilot, who perished on reentry to Kerbin today when the chutes on his science lab module failed to deploy. Returning from a failed Mun mission, he had made the decision to return in the lab module rather than attempt a rendezvous with the mission's command module.

Command module pilot and mission commander, Gilwell Kerman, the only one of the mission's three Kerbonauts to make it back home to Kerbin, stated "I told him it wasn't a good idea... I guess Ronbart forgot he had no way to control his chute deployment riding inside that thing."

The third member of the mission, pilot Doodton Kerman, is still missing and presumed lost as well. Having flipped his rover coming over the lip of a steep crater; His last radio transmission was "Oh no!(censored)!", and has not been heard from since. Telemetry from a mapping satellite, picked up by the KSC Tracking Station, has identified the location of the rover and indicates a large debris field.

KSC officials are investigating, and have promised to send a search and rescue mission to find and (hopefully) retrieve Doodton. Opponents to the KSP claim that KSC officials are "full of it", that they don't give a damn about Doodton and that they're only going back to collect more science.

This marks the death of the fifth Kerbonaut since the program began.

I spun up my very first Real Solar System/Realism Overhaul install and promptly got my butt handed to me. Newbish errors commited while unlearning the things KSP has taught me:
YES!
However, for all that frustration and head smacking, I finally put a Gemini capsule into low Earth orbit using a Centaur/2xRL10 upper stage and a Titan/LR-87 lower stage (the RO veterans are cringing right now :)). It has been a long, long time since I felt so much satisfaction from just getting to low orbit.
Congrats! Orbit around a proper planet is majestic, no? Also, no one's cringing, at least not for that. I've gotten flak for using RD-171s as upper stage engines and other such weirdness, but that's half of the fun of KSP.
Yep. I didn't have a flight stick back when I started toying with RSS, and promptly learned flying with the keyboard is not an option. I'm still a stubborn pilot though, and refuse to surrender launch control to some accursed robot or kOS script.
I still fly manually with a keyboard, it's the only way, IMO.

Today was quite productive!

Managed to get my rover crane video online.

Managed to get my first Mk3 Cargo SSTO into orbit (only 11 tons of cargo, but still) and get it back safely to KSC.

dqyS3Nq.jpg

Built a ridiculous space station

Dcqf6Yl.jpg

And yeah... this happened...

S0MoNzF.jpg

I continued my quest to try Realism Overhaul. CKAN GUI still doesn't work on my Mac, but the command line interface works, so I was finally able to install RO. After installing a huge pile of mods, I started KSP and waited. And waited. And waited. And waited. And started watching Game of Thrones. Finally, after over an hour of real time (and around 2 hours 45 minutes of CPU time), the game reached the title screen. Around 10 minutes later, I realized that RSS initialization is not going to finish. Logs indicated that the game had run out of memory, even though it used less than 3 GB of it. I quit the game, replaced the 4096x2048 textures with the 2048x1024 ones, and restarted. This time the everything worked, so I started building my first rocket. Unfortunately I couldn't figure out how to control an unmanned craft at the launchpad - apparently a probe core and a deployed antenna aren't enough. By then it was getting late, so I had to stop playing.

This definitely feels like my day job.

I put a mun in orbit around the Mun

2fbb5b8109eb.png

That thing weights a kiloton and had quite an inclination (I realized that problem only when my ship met the asteroid at 3 km/s rel velocity). The first ship got it into Munar slingshot to capture into Kerbin orbit, but ran out of fuel and managed to vibrate itself apart at the last moment. The second ship had to grab the crew, then grab the rock and put it into Munar orbit. The contract barely paid for itself given that the ship will be reused.

Completed my first orbit mission on career, which left me with no electricity because I'm a doofus, and had me tumbling in space while guessing when to burn; then cleverly left the rocket to do an EVA report after I landed and found my ship was abandoned on the other side of the planet when I hit the recovery button.

No clue how to get it back to salvage parts and get the science points it holds, but more an irritation than a problem.

Only had the game a couple of days and barely scratched the surface, but it's the game I've wanted all my life. Really looking forward to trying the more realistic mods once I feel ready for it.

How did I miss getting this for so many years?

10370419_10205176452305213_1616834142210925073_n.jpg?oh=2c5604fde9026c8d09fc71c245a23cf6&oe=55924832

The final pieces of my space tourism project are coming together. Sent the emergency rescue lander for the tourist rover to dock to it's base in mun orbit. Managed to match planes and everything...

...going in the opposite direction, of course.

So, made a 'test landing' on the Mun which allowed me to do a 3 point turn. Success! Now just need to send a refueller to replace what I have just burned. The tourist season will be a little late starting this year.

Also, finished assembly of the orbiting hotel with Jeb and the "Mr Shifter"TM universal mover. Anything, anywhere, anytime:

8Uvinn1h.png

Edited by percyPrune
Also...

Also, finished assembly of the orbiting hotel with Jeb and the "Mr Shifter"TM universal mover. Anything, anywhere, anytime:

http://i.imgur.com/8Uvinn1h.png

That is a neat little tug.

- - - Updated - - -

I flew a survey. ONE survey contract, that took me nearly 2h. Flying to the southern ice cap of kerbin takes time. Trying 6 times to get my single jet engine plane above 19600m at the last survey point took longer.

Completed my first orbit mission on career, which left me with no electricity because I'm a doofus, and had me tumbling in space while guessing when to burn; then cleverly left the rocket to do an EVA report after I landed and found my ship was abandoned on the other side of the planet when I hit the recovery button.

No clue how to get it back to salvage parts and get the science points it holds, but more an irritation than a problem.

Ah, running out of electricity never gets old (at least not for me). I remember when the same thing happened to of my first Minmus missions. Luckily I was already in a highly eccentric Kerbin orbit and was able to wait until I was pointing retrograde, at which point I could burn until I got a trajectory which encountered the atmosphere.

On getting your now-empty craft back, you should be able to see it in the tracking station if you enable the debris display. Just select it and you should have the option to recover it.

As for what I've been up to, I'm currently in the middle of a 0.90 career and have just finished prepping for an early Eve run. Here's the Ishara all ready to depart.

1024x640.resizedimage

Assembling my station bit by bit, I decided now was the time to make a heavy-lift SSTO. As I type this it's in a 75km orbit with an orange tank in the cargo bay after many explosions.

PbNymcK.png

I've also docked an RCS tug to the station just so my modules don't need their own probe cores and stuff.

EDIT: Landed the plane, it flies really well without the payload... or any fuel.

HOJMtvc.png

Edited by GloriousWater
Updated mission report

So how many zeroes are there between the decimal and your frame rate?

Framerate was surprisingly pretty good. The first stage is 1 big SRB from PP, then an adapter decoupler and 2 fairings, then the 2nd stage which is 160 parts. Procedural parts really helps the framerate. It is really the best mod for saving memory, you can delete every other fuel tank.