What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Ok... what have I been working on? a TOP SECRET project that I can now reveal. I need testers for my first ever BDArmory career contract! Accept this baby, and be presented with a very relevant mission for very relevant times...

Will require: KAX, Take Command, BDArmory, Contract Configurator, and GAP all installed from CKAN.

Send in your best AI planes to clean up the opposition or get in there and help them yourself, BDArmory makes it possible.

Edited by inigma

12 minutes ago, inigma said:

Ok... what have I been working on? a TOP SECRET project that I can now reveal. I need testers for my first ever BDArmory career contract! Accept this baby, and be presented with a very relevant mission for very relevant times...

Will require: KAX, Take Command, BDArmory, Contract Configurator, and GAP all installed from CKAN.

Send in your best AI planes to clean up the opposition or get in there and help them yourself, BDArmory makes it possible.

Ooooh. Would be an excuse for me to actually arm the Mach 3 fighter jet I've built! OR perhaps build an amphibious tank and just swim over there. Hmm. The possibilities...

17 minutes ago, Kenobi McCormick said:

Ooooh. Would be an excuse for me to actually arm the Mach 3 fighter jet I've built! OR perhaps build an amphibious tank and just swim over there. Hmm. The possibilities...

A land-bound tank with an amphibious assault boat to transport it would be even more Kerbal.

2 minutes ago, Fearless Son said:

A land-bound tank with an amphibious assault boat to transport it would be even more Kerbal.

No transport boat. The tank itself either swims there, or it just drives there on the sea bed. Depends on what sort of effort it takes to get a KV-2 turret to float.

I've got everything running again, but it's still remarkably crash-prone.

Here's a list of what mods I do have. If anyone sees a conflict that CKAN missed, let me know.

KSP: 1.0.5 (Win32) - Unity: 4.6.4f1 - OS: Windows 8.1  (6.3.10586) 64bit
AutoAsparagus - 1.1
AutomatedScreenshots - 0.7
Chatterer - 0.9.7.86
Community Resource Pack - 0.4.9
CraftImport - 0.8.1
Crowd Sourced Science - 3.0.2
Docking Sounds - 1.2
Engine Lighting - 1.4.1
EVA Enhancements - 1.1.1
Firespitter - 7.1.5
HeatControl - 0.2.1
RasterPropMonitor - 0.24.2
Kerbal Attachment System - 0.5.5
Kerbal Joint Reinforcement - 3.1.4
HyperEdit - 1.4.2
InlineBallutes - 1.2.3
Kerbal Inventory System - 1.2.3
KSP-AVC Plugin - 1.1.5
Mach Gauge - 3.0
Infernal Robots - 0.21.4
Docking Port Alignment Indicator - 6.2
PlanetShine - 0.2.4.2
RealChute - 1.3.2.6
SCANsat - 1.1.4.7
ShipManifest - 4.4.2
TAC Fuel Balancer - 2.5.1.7
TakeCommand - 1.3
TrackingStationAmbientlight - 0.2
Trajectories - 1.4.5
TweakScale - 2.2.6
WildBlueTools - 1.0.28
Buffalo - 0.2.7

_____
ETA: Also, if there are any mods that improve performance that I do not have, I would be most happy to hear recommendations.

Edited by SSgt Baloo

Ok, so not docking the other day gave me an itch and after first deciding that I was going to take a break, I later broke that to decide I was just going to power through it. The result, my first Manned docking in RP-0.

6Sz0Jdo.png

Perhaps that should be 'Womaned' docking.

Jacqueline Hunt and Irina Matveyeva make history.

vbpPBlc.png

On to the moon!

Edited by Frybert

I'm pretty happy. Today, I started EVEN MORE missions I have to worry about. First, I sent the latest in my RED series (Robotic Exploration of Duna), RED Moon (real clever, I know), to explore Ike. It's a modified version of RED Sands, which will hopefully land on Duna, and is the third in the series after RED Heavens failed to orbit.

I also got my mining lander, Silent Eclipse, on the course for Minmus. I redesigned the launch vehicle, and got rid of the giant fairing enclosing it, and it flew much smoother. It's en route to Minmus now, along with an ore scanning satellite, and an unrelated Kerbal lander. 2/4 components for mining operation ready.

I fulfilled a Mun base contract by taking a modified version of my old Mun base and adding a probe so it could be unmanned, due to a critical shortage of available Kerbals (I was an idiot and thought where it said in the contract "Have space for ___ Kerbals" it meant "Have ____ Kerbals on board") I doubt I"ll be using it because I landed it at the northern pole, but the mission paid for itself and I got plenty of good science from it.

Finally, I rescued another Kerbal from orbit, in what may be my finest rendevoux ever. I accidentally totally intentionally timed the launch so I got an encounter in less than an orbit. Normally it takes like 3 days game time to get close enough to switch to the other ship.

I got it working better, but it tends to crash when I leave the VAB or SPH to launch after an extended build. Once outside, however, it works pretty well.

I've been experimenting with FASA's winged Gemini capsule. I like it. It has a lot more cross-range ability than even the flying saucers I've been messing with, and if you want to skip off the atmosphere, this can do it a couple of times before it slows down.

screenshot13_zpsevonfzy3.jpg

The first version (above) had two radial chutes, but every time I landed one it came down hard enough to destroy the wing. 

screenshot14_zpsxwexecni.jpg

Coming down fast.

screenshot15_zpsb92dg5um.jpg

Scorchy the Bear says "Only you can prevent excessive reentry heating."

screenshot16_zpsro76jiz3.jpg

This one has three chutes. This one survived landing, intact.

screenshot17_zpsp0aut2gl.jpg

Using the RealChutes mod. The risers on these things are real long, aren't they?

screenshot18_zpslzwqfzfl.jpg

Prefect landing. ;)

15 hours ago, michal.don said:

Expanded my Mun base a bit, now it has housing for 26 kerbals, a lab and an ISRU unit.

uRykSQD.png

Out of interest how are you manoeuvring/fitting parts on surface?  I've been playing with Infernal Robotics and crane rovers in preparation for contracts I've currently got to build bases on both the Mun and Minmus yours is exactly the kind of thing I want to build.

Tested a new spaceplane design, delivered an ore pod to the tug docked at Einstein station.

IAf1RpE.jpg

Landed a science rover and found a really high ore concentration (9.6%). Nice flat area too, just not very level.

vc1ETuY.jpg

Set down a lander when I found a more suitable location for a mining base.

0jpY8xo.jpg

Relocated the lander with the rovers.

53ksI3v.jpg

More pictures

Wow Bill Zarr, i was planning to put some rovers on the Mun when i have the money (i'm kind of broke in career because noobishness) and i'll definitely copy those rover designs, they look cool.
Well my story is made of pure stupid. I had to rescue 2 kerbals from low orbit around Kerbin, and they were orbiting pretty close together, like 8 km average. So i thought i'd get them together with the cheapest ship i could come up with. This was: Parachute, Probodobodyne OKTO, MK1 Crew Cabin, 2 batteries, 2 solar panels, 2 radial parachutes, decoupler, FL-T1000 fuel tank, Terrier engine. And a launcher for all of this, i don't remember how i built it, but i tried to keep the price at the lowest.
So, you see where i messed up, right? Exactly, the MK1 Crew Cabin entries were both blocked, and i only notice it when i'm already at 4 km of the first target.
What i did was to get both kerbals out of their ships, activated the decoupler so they can enter the crew cabin, althoug i knew dropping the Terrier was dangerous because i needed some thrust to mantain attitude and speed once i entered the atmosphere, because of the long ship with no stability nor heatshield i was packing but oh well. Then rendez-vous with the first kerbal via RCS backpack -which was now some 6 km away because i approached the second one. With the remaining monopropellant in both kerbals i managed to push the ship to suborbital flight, periapsis at 64.000 meters, which i thought was good because aerobraking or something. When i reached 66.000 meters i was going at 2313 m/s.
Tried to keep the ship as vertical as i could, to spend some velocity by resistance, which seemed to work pretty well.
At 50.000 i started to feel the heat.
28.000 meters from the ground, 1.883 m/s. I lose control, spinning wildly and the top parachute explodes. Kerbals look okay with the situation.
22.000 meters, 1.134 m/s, i have no control of the ship which is facing sideways.
16.000 meters, 511 m/s. We are good! We still have 2 parachutes and are losing speed and heat!
Splash, 64 km of KSC! Let's do it again!!
No, seriously, i need to check my ships twice before i launch them or else this kind of stupid happens.

Edit: whoops, wrote "poodle" instead of "terrier" engine.

Edited by Wonky kergineer

1 hour ago, RizzoTheRat said:

Out of interest how are you manoeuvring/fitting parts on surface?  I've been playing with Infernal Robotics and crane rovers in preparation for contracts I've currently got to build bases on both the Mun and Minmus yours is exactly the kind of thing I want to build.

I have a pair of moving rovers at the site, they are the ones who did all the assembling (so far, the base consist of nine pieces that were landed individualy). The rover is as simple as it gets:

qRxtekP.png

six wheels, a few panels and batteries and a docking port jr. on the top. It was originally designed for my Minmus base, but works surprisingly well (to be honest, even better) in Mun conditions. Each of the base modules is fitted with two jr. docking ports at the bottom, so I just dock the rovers, transport it where it belongs, lower the legs, and magnetic pull from the docking ports does the rest.

dvpc9Km.png

This is how it looks just after docking a piece to the original structure.

I guess that certain mods make surface assembling much easier, but I am playing stock, so this is a way I came up with, and it works pretty well too.

Hope it helps,

Michal.don

6 minutes ago, limdaepl said:

Who needs landing legs if you have SAS and balancing skills? (And an almost full transfer stage still attached to your lander when arriving in the system :D)

Very Kerbal! 

My first Munar landing mission returned successfully to Kerbin.  I was sweating because I thought I'd cut the delta-V budget too close, but it turned out to be just fine.  On to Minmus!

44 minutes ago, limdaepl said:

Who needs landing legs if you have SAS and balancing skills? (And an almost full transfer stage still attached to your lander when arriving in the system :D)

Like in ye goode ole times, when all KSP rocket landings were done this way. A solid nozzle is all ye need :) . Nice pic!