What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Launched the "Rescue Val"

screenshot426_zpsujljo87z.png

After adventures in re-entry for the return vehicle Val trudges to landing site (surprisingly only 4.5 KM away) carrying the science.

screenshot435_zpso3lidlcp.png

And yeah didn't want those landing legs anyway. (note, never set up staging sequences after visiting the bar)

screenshot438_zpsfrixlcju.png

But all was good, Val EVA'ed to the Service Module from the rescue lander and brought back the science too.

Edited by N_Danger

Today I completed my Mun space program in career mode, powered mostly by Tantares, Contares, MBI, SSTU, RT2 and USI. It consisted of a DOS core module and supply, fuel and science blocks. Now its time to reach out to the other planets. 

I am intrigued by building SSTOs with a single rocket and single jet engine, without resorting to rapiers. This is tricky because the two engines cannot be placed in a way that they both trust towards the center of mass, or can they.... :cool:.

I proudly present to the forum: The Flip Flop!

I'll be editing the video for it another day.

1 hour ago, StanK said:

I am intrigued by building SSTOs with a single rocket and single jet engine, without resorting to rapiers. This is tricky because the two engines cannot be placed in a way that they both trust towards the center of mass, or can they.... :cool:.

That is really, really cool.

1 hour ago, StanK said:

makes me think of a manta ray.

6 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Er... Shouldn't that be a KiG-15 to SOUTH Keria?

Did that yesterday, see the dif between KiG-21 and KiG-15...

U6B488d.png

(Disclaimer, KiG-21 in the picture is "Analog" version) google it

Know your planes ! :D

Edited by Triop

@StanK I love it :D Totally mad, and it evidently works. Though I wonder what her yaw and roll stability is like, what with having no tail.

Meanwhile, I flew the first test flight of the next orbiter in my Shuttle fleet, Victory. She flew fine, but I wanted to land near El Kapitan north of the desert because I saw it and it looked cool. Unfortunately tailsitters and 10 degree slopes don't mix. But hey, it's survivable!

Hey, it's survivable!

The next step of development will be installing the safety equipment and then making lots of deliberate mistakes to see that it works!

Edited by cantab

Jeb is given the go for my first Tylo landing

screenshot445_zpsze89iwsr.png

And HOLLY MOLLY that's hard to do! :( I tried the fuel efficient last minute suicide burn trick but didn't have the reflexes for the last 500m throttle adjustments I kept pogoing (and skimming too low and hitting hills). So I finally did a stop and drop, that kept ending up using all the fuel in the decent stage at about 10 meters off the ground. Thankfully I got one to stay upright.:D

screenshot450_zpsdttsudvz.png

Now that I have "Tylo landing" crossed off the bucket list, I don't think I'm coming back anytime soon. :wink:

Updated my single-launch geostationary satellite script. This time I'm actually burning to an orbit that is exactly one sidereal day, as opposed to exactly 6 hours, which is what I did for my previous video. I also installed RemoteTech to show the network connections a little better and to show off the spacing symmetry.

10 hours ago, cantab said:

@StanK I love it :D Totally mad, and it evidently works. Though I wonder what her yaw and roll stability is like, what with having no tail.

She flies pretty badly, not to mention landing. Roll authority is surprisingly decent, but there is no such thing as yaw stability. A small price to pay...

There are active controls though: ample RCS when almost out of control, fuel pumping to control CoM, and trust vectoring. Which all - now I write it down - explain why landing without fuel is so hard.

Quite possibly the most ridiculous thing I have ever tried to build and fly. Trying to get this stupidly enormous refueler to KSC 2.

621EA1F2E164D705C5763C1320FDCCB8F4EA7C49

Oh, it gets worse. Keep scrolling.:0.0:

E65931FBBA1347034635FBE276785C4B2D17B792

0DAB6B2C8473FB66D5301EA1CBB42F124CE6D3AD

969BAEA5D62BB6F42E1B4043C36AA9F860F06F4A

YA! Airborne! Controlled flight!!

5B9CFB69C1374A75D8273CBA1A5F738942357D7D

Boo! Flies like a pig. I know, lets put more engines on it.

5D737E9A7F9EAABC0FCDD1C519A2453BCDF76E39

2A606C3131CDA7979D286201AFD6D156E54EA31B

OK complete redesign.

444BD4B8E76C749605079706736934A0066FD151

6A5B25EDA7DB378EC8EC8655BD88025E2DBAD540

Works, err, great? I'll let you know how/if the landing went later, or if I can even make it to KSC 2.

On 6/8/2016 at 11:05 AM, Padishar said:

I really don't believe you are.

About fps, you were correct. I checked out the ShowFPS mod, and indeed my fps is not what I thought. At the station, it's about 10fps, and drops to 9.something while I rotate view around the station. If I turn the lights off, I get around 14.8fps. That's all with a part count of just over 1000. I also timed the scene load going from the Tracking Station to the space station - 46.31 seconds. It takes a little less (20 to 30 seconds) while in another ship rendezvousing with the station.

Build a GLIDER they said...

In hindsight, I could have built a drone tow-plane/launch system...but in the wee hours of the night, this seemed like the obvious solution:

DEA8B95195FBDC8B7FBB4651CC948CFE579D88E1

FA7EE63165B2A973093FCC2E613FFC8DBD51F74D

841C315E06F9709A9FD12444607FFF748E38CE61

Got the center-of-mass a teensey bit off, and she glides like a truck, but hey! Glider!

And Jeb even walked away from the landing. The glider kinda cluttered up the runway...but it's recyclable!

-Jn-

Edited by JoeNapalm