What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I tried to make a hypersonic passenger plane but failed horribly. I had to go to my orthodontist to have my braces adjusted so that's where my run ended for a while. I just opened up KSP to heat my computer up because the thermostat isn't quick enough. I'm waiting on an explanation on how to install a certain mod

2 hours ago, eddiew said:

Noticed that KRnD is now compatible with the latest KSP and thus considered kicking off a new career... but I have no idea how the game's playing for everyone anymore :blush:

How's KSP feeling in 1.2.x? Where are we at with things like wheel physics and performance, and have there been any hints of a 1.3 in the works?

KSP is just right. There are no huge bugs floating around that I know of (the F12 aero overlay problem is gone). Wheels no longer misbehave much and can safely and casually clip craft parts and kerbals. Performance is alright, always getting a little better. :P But most of all, planet packs are in season. They're popping up like kerbals in rescue contracts.

1 hour ago, JadeOfMaar said:

KSP is just right. There are no huge bugs floating around that I know of (the F12 aero overlay problem is gone). Wheels no longer misbehave much and can safely and casually clip craft parts and kerbals. Performance is alright, always getting a little better. :P But most of all, planet packs are in season. They're popping up like kerbals in rescue contracts.

Nice :)  How about the thing where you'd get a phantom sideways force on the runway and donut off? (That might have been wheels...)

6 hours ago, Firemetal said:

What is this Worker Ant you ask?

ajv2Fmu.png

Back in the days of 1.0.5, I decided to build a colony on Minimus. Fun fact: This was before I joined the forums. So I looked at other people's designs and came up with a rover that carried parts on its back to the base. The base was very crude and I stopped work on it when 1.1 was released. However the designs were great in my eyes and now, I built a new one. This one however uses landing legs to raise itself onto the docking port. Because of this, it needs two worker ants to carry one part around to keep it balanced. It also uses a claw for when there are no docking ports to attach to.

So I will build it on Kerbin first, then send it all to Duna and build it there. But that's it for now.

Fire

Are those four reaction wheels on the Ant?  With that much torque, you can probably stand the Ant on end to mate to station parts.  Is that how the original worked?  

2 hours ago, TheEpicSquared said:

Continued development my vehicle for the Kerbal Dakar Rally 2017 :cool: 

I would put in a picture, but my friend is participating as well and I don't want him to steal any ideas... *cough* @Oliverm001x *cough* *cough* :P 

Haha:), same here @TheEpicSquared, I am awaiting the final showdown on Sunday! Bound to be exhilarating :D

You know, at this point I've given up on trying to understand the KSC view

Seeing_Doubles.png

Anyway, the mining ship has made its first trip! Now, let's see...

Uh oh.

The amount of ore collected isn't enough to make up for the fuel used. That's not good.

*sigh* Well, looks like we're doing this again.

Ugh.png

Too bad this thing has the maneuverability and stability of a cruise liner balanced on its nose (actually, now that I think about it, that's kinda what it is)

Well, after several minute of almost tipping over, awkwardly hopping, and wishing I could use timewarp to cancel my rotation, I've FINALLY landed.

Finally.png

Ugh. Next time I'm bringing a better mining ship.

Edited by Brownhair2

STS-10b (A last-minute mission to deploy an orbital test of a nuclear reactor. It was deployed and started perfectly. The landing was a bit better but 3 out of 4 of the back aelerons were destroyed on a bounce.): Success

Reactor T1 (Deployed from STS-10b and is still generating power upon last inspection. Placed in a 150 km circular orbit.): Success

Laythe 3 (Launched 2 Kerbals to KerbinLab 2. Docked to the Orion module until Laythe 2 with its landing crew of 2 undocked. It then docked to the underside of the KerbinLab 3 module.): Will stay in orbit until day 305. Podsel Kerman remains on board to land with Laythe 5.): Probable success

Laythe 2 landed back at Kerbin. It undershot its landing site and landed in the mountains west of the KSC.

C7 S3 (A C7 probe that was launched to the Mun. It flew by at closest approach of 200 km. It was to measure the Mun's gravity, mass, and size. The gravity and mass measurements failed to transmit.): Success

MunLab 1 (The first Mun-orbital station. Launched on a Dres A rocket. The onboard rocket engine circularized the orbit into a 200 km orbit.): Success

C7 S4 (A C7 satellite that attempted a Mun orbit. Due to the unpredicatbility of its third stage, it was unsure wether it would continue on with a flyby, orbit, or impact the Mun. It ended up being so powerful that it completely flipped the direction of the flyby and shot it out towards the Sun.): Partial failure

Next planned mission: Laythe TM-T1 (A test mission of a modified Laythe spacecraft to be sent to MunLab 1.)

1 hour ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@eddiew that's still a possibility, I'm sure :/ I don't get it (or it threatens to happen) but it should be nothing a little engineering can't fix.

Yeah, it was one of the odder effects from the 1.1.x era. Half my birds flew fine, the other half had a phantom yaw force (visible in aero overlay) whenever there were wheels on the ground. If I could get them flying, they'd suddenly stabilise, so I'm thinking it was something the devs threw in to counter some wheel related oddness. Cheers for the info on 1.2, I'll take a look at refreshing my mod collection and working out what I want to do :) 

1 hour ago, HalcyonSon said:

Are those four reaction wheels on the Ant?  With that much torque, you can probably stand the Ant on end to mate to station parts.  Is that how the original worked?  

Ah no. At that point, I didn't understand torque very well. I put those on to be able to control it. It surprised me to see all the tricks I could do with it but the main design of the base stayed the same. Good idea for a later Minimus colony though!.

Fire

3 hours ago, eddiew said:

Nice :)  How about the thing where you'd get a phantom sideways force on the runway and donut off? (That might have been wheels...)

I haven't had that problem.  Using Galileo's Planet Pack, the runway on Gael seems to have no problems.  This is especially helpful since for some reason, I'm unable to steer my planes on the ground (unless they're going fast enough for rudder yaw to turn the plane).  There have been reports of texture seams (both on the runway and on terrain) causing issues as well (blowing up landing gear or wheels on rovers), but again, I don't seem to have that issue.

I can't say why I don't have those issues.  The texture seams are certainly present even in GPP, but they don't cause me any problems.  I admit I haven't played anything in 1.2.2 stock - once that update came out, I immediately installed GPP and any and all mods that were updated and continued my save from 1.2.1.  Maybe GPP mitigates some of the problems...?

12 hours ago, eddiew said:

Noticed that KRnD is now compatible with the latest KSP and thus considered kicking off a new career... but I have no idea how the game's playing for everyone anymore :blush:

How's KSP feeling in 1.2.x? Where are we at with things like wheel physics and performance, and have there been any hints of a 1.3 in the works?

People have reported wheels otherwise working but being very bouncy (this was with 1.2 and 1.2.1, dunno about 1.2.2; I play with wheel weight stress pretty much disabled and it hasn't come up).

The SAS is a lot better overall but it does wobble around a bit, or a lot if you have wide gimbal, like its effort doesn't diminish when it reaches its designated facing.

There are terrain seams that seem to appear and disappear at random each time a scene is loaded. Sometimes they're quite large and can snap wheels clean off.

Performance should be better than 1.1.x due to a large amount of code optimisation.

Edited by Guest

I landed on the Mun for the first time! It took a couple dozen tries, 30 parts, and a little learning along the way, but it's finally happened. Next time will be a piece of cake, right?

MEDrYfg.jpg

This isn't actually the craft that got me there, but it's one of several variants I messed with, before deciding on having two SRB's on the side instead.

ICG9eRI.jpg

I'm glad I got a satellite in orbit first around the Mun. Without being able to connect with it, I wouldn't have had any signal from Kerbin during landing!

qz8GHQe.jpg

Slowing my row as the SMIL-2 (Second Mun Investigation Lander[First Mun Lander exploded on the Mun]) comes in for touchdown.

I2egPwz.jpg

I wasn't planning to leave anyway, so losing the engine was of little concern. I actually didn't expect the legs to bounce like that did, so a little bouncing did occur. I righted it later so the panel could get some sun and I could start transmitting science data!