What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I'd hate to see your definition of "huge". Looks like Whackjob has competition.

It's not large until there are lots of solid boosters =D

It now weighs 14500 tons and can launch up to 300 tons to low (real earth) orbit.

Today, I finished the next chapter of the Kerbal Khronicles, and moved on to the image work to go with it.

I had done quite a bit with one of the images, but one thing I neglected to do was hit that SAVE every few minutes. As a result, naturally, Photoshop saw an opportunity to honor Murphy and flush all my work down the drain with a random crash it had never done before.

Of course, there's no autosave feature in Photoshop CS5.1. Thanks Adobe. Thanks very much. Grrrr...

Going to have to catch up on it I'm afraid; I missed the Waypoint one - I'd been enjoying the series very much so far.

Haven't done much today yet; will have to defer the post to tomorrow I think.

I really didn't get to do much in KSP today, but I did log in to check on my Mun Science Lander MKII. I was messing around and got a nice glam shot of it. Radar altimeter puts me at about 7.9km from the surface, I am waiting to try and land it in the southern crater....so about one orbit. I dunno why but I just love how Mun looks and I cannot wait to see if I can get a similar design to Ike or Gilly soon.

b504ee.jpg

had some rapid unplanned disassembly of a ship destined for Jool...

luckily, it a-sploded while still in Kerbin orbit (but just BARELY), and even though all 3 of the NERVAs randomly blew up, I was able to wait until apoapsis and use RCS to slide back into an aerocapture.

screenshot4_zps5249abb5.png

then I sent a missil- I mean space probe to the sun.

(10 solid boosters, and 1 medium 1.5m tank with a mini rockomax gets 1 of every science part to the surface of the sun... neat!) ~10K Dv with FAR

screenshot20_zps2d96093d.png

screenshot21_zps5d965638.png

screenshot22_zpsad5e557a.png

THERE IS ANOTHER SMALLER SUN INSIDE THE BIG ONE

FASCINATING

screenshot26_zps93359dc8.png

well...um... i decided to make a science satellite in my sandbox save to work out the kinks and see if the idea would fly so to speak. WELL... um... It launched fine enough, even had enough spare fuel in the final stage of the lifter to place my satellite into a path direct for Duna. So far so good right? WELL... I kick the stage off and wave good bye. Part of my mission was to see if 1 single rapier had enough mmph to slow down an interplanetary ship. Well... heres what the specs were for the rapier and its fuel supply: 1 Rapier Engine and a HH-250-B Insulated Fuel Tank 2.5m X 3.0m. Well... turns out, that is NOT enough fuel to slow you down from a modest 950m/s initial speed if you add about 450m/s MORE to change how you enter orbit. Well, I start the burn and fire my RCS as well, I have 4 per RCS tank in the middle <see pics below>. All is fine until I slip and slap the space bar instead of the M key. So now, I have a RAPIER running by its self just pushing into me. I already knew from MJ that I was going to come up short on DV on the RAPIER alone, just not enough gas in the tank. SO, here I am runnin RCS and a rogue rapier. Rapier runs dry and I am left with RCS only. Thankfully I had something like 4000 or so units of propellant for them!!! Took a total of 3500 or so units to slow down and get into a 295km circular orbit. Take a look at some high light shots!

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I tried to add an Cuppola Module to my Space Station in HKO. Since I am playing Career Mode and also just unlocked the Nuclear Engines I wanted a Nuclear Tug for later interplanetary stuff as well. (I got a bit inspired by the Tugs of Brotoro.) It did not end well ... at 60000 Meters I only had a T/W of 0.5. So I switched the Nuclear Engines with conventional ones and brought the Module to LKO. After that I brought the Nuclear Tug into LKO as well (w/o any payload), but I have no idea why. (There is more than enough fuel left in the conventional one.) But I think you can never have too much tugs.

Built a spaceplane I proposed on one of the threads to send three Kerbals to Laythe. To my astonishment, the damn thing actually took off on the first try without careening of to one side or flying straight into the drink. CoL's still too far back so I had to sit there holding the "s" key the entire time, but that's nothing a little tweaking won't mix. I might actually have to send this thing to Laythe at some point...

Also tested my parachute disposal system for Eve. Aside from the ejection system taking out the center stack of the whole thing and rendering the test an unqualified failure, it went pretty well...

After seeing Scott Manley's "longest spacewal ever" and a comment from another thread, I decided to try my luck and spacewalk to Minmus:

i7NgYrM.jpg

LgzBWeV.jpg

kREL8w8.jpg

w6LLNsg.jpg

Things did not go as planned and now Kirrim is stuck on Minmus with no fuel to get back. I guess I'll have to send yet another rescue mission :P

had some rapid unplanned disassembly of a ship destined for Jool...

luckily, it a-sploded while still in Kerbin orbit (but just BARELY), and even though all 3 of the NERVAs randomly blew up, I was able to wait until apoapsis and use RCS to slide back into an aerocapture.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s59/KSPbox/screenshot4_zps5249abb5.png

then I sent a missil- I mean space probe to the sun.

(10 solid boosters, and 1 medium 1.5m tank with a mini rockomax gets 1 of every science part to the surface of the sun... neat!) ~10K Dv with FAR

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s59/KSPbox/screenshot20_zps2d96093d.png

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s59/KSPbox/screenshot21_zps5d965638.png

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s59/KSPbox/screenshot22_zpsad5e557a.png

THERE IS ANOTHER SMALLER SUN INSIDE THE BIG ONE

FASCINATING

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s59/KSPbox/screenshot26_zps93359dc8.png

Only dream i ever have... it is a surface of the sun.

I'm sure Scott Manley has achieved this with ion engines alone… but still!

103 onion staged mainsails at liftoff!

T6N1Zxe.png

Shed some layers and perform a gravity turn…

4fIkIoU.png

1/4 tank left in the last stage and we say farewell to the periapsis.

BpklvS3.png

Over 10,000km/s at burn-out.

jVvBXGf.png

Suns gravity kicks in and almost 66,000 m/s!!!

sa1C6ZN.png

Moar main sails needed if we're to hit 100,000 m/s at impact…

7hN0mYt.png

^^^

There's the marvelous little mod out there called Kerbal Attachment System - among other things you can do with it, you can store small items (such as chutes) for Kerbals to grab in flight. It can then be activated in flight; the Kerbal will not let go of it.

I have KAS, though I have yet to try any Kerbal base jumping yet.

^^^

There's the marvelous little mod out there called Kerbal Attachment System - among other things you can do with it, you can store small items (such as chutes) for Kerbals to grab in flight. It can then be activated in flight; the Kerbal will not let go of it.

I have KAS, though I have yet to try any Kerbal base jumping yet.

Is it still base jumping if its from orbit?