What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Finally downloaded .90. Played me some STOCK. Blew stuff up, went to Minmus, got stuck on Minmus, rescued from Minmus, went to the Mün, stranded some Kerbals on Eve. Good times.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

- - - Updated - - -

Don't let them touch! Breaking the space-time continulum is never ​a good thing.

How do you know unless you try? Brotoro, MAKE THEM TOUCH DAMMIT! MAKE THEM TOUCH NOW!

I maxed out the capabilities of my current spaceplane in terms of payload and crew capacity. I've got an interplanetary explorer coming back soon with four astronauts, and need a new shuttle that can take them all home from orbit. It's getting there, I've almost ironed out all the thrust vector, COM/COL issues...

I worked on perfecting my "land on a docking port" technique that I previously thought was so hard as to not even be worth it before. I'm almost to the point where I can try it without the NavHud mod, but that mod really does help.

I don't think I'll ever try it without RCS though :D

Drove 30km with a newly designed locomotive to rescue Jeb Kerman - Only surviving crew member of former 44 Class Mark 2 - http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/29533-What-did-you-do-in-KSP-today?p=1792022&viewfull=1#post1792022

Questionably though I forgot I was only going to rescue a single kerbal and took along a full 4 car fuel tanker train.. which gave me all the similar challenges and risks

that lead to the loss of the first train..

Some emergency braking... along with switching the bogeys into reverse for some careful dynamic braking as we descended steep down-grades.. the last car fishtailed quite alot at one point with the speed.. but finally we arrived.. picked up jeb.. planted a flag and shutdown for the night and the return trip on the weekend

zXhh9X2.jpg

HQWCXng.jpg

So far the toll for attempting to do a fuel run to Bombo Outpost - 80km from KSC to top up its generators for lighting and pickup an extra kerbal is 3 Landliner trains.. 6 kerbals.. and alot of sadness to a once proud fleet.. the last successful fuel run was along the coast. safer. flat.. Pretty... but long.. this is the cost of driving directly with only mild regard for terrain rather than porting around mountains, hills.. and oddly shaped terrain

Edited by Overland

I worked on perfecting my "land on a docking port" technique that I previously thought was so hard as to not even be worth it before. I'm almost to the point where I can try it without the NavHud mod, but that mod really does help.

MechJeb's (SmartASS) 'up' feature is brilliant for this, even without RCS. Essentially it's a hover mode, so you can null your horizontal velocity, throttle down to 0.95-1.05 TWR and just nudge WASD. SmartASS will keep re-orienting your ship when you go hands off so its easy to just cruise at a few cm/s in any direction.

Became necessary for me a while back when I wanted to remove an MKS module from a Minmus base. Sure, I could have terminated it... but where's the fun? There was a spacetug there already, just docked to the wrong part :)

Would love to see it as a stock SAS mode... retrograde is handy for landing, but it can lead to some scary flips if you overdo the braking!

Does that actually work, or does it vary depending on your horizontal velocity? I could imagine low grav worlds where the centre of your 'orbit' (even at 500m up) and the centre of the planet are not in the same place.

Most of my pilots are level 1-2 though, so it's not a feature I've encountered often.

MechJeb's (SmartASS) 'up' feature is brilliant for this, even without RCS. Essentially it's a hover mode, so you can null your horizontal velocity, throttle down to 0.95-1.05 TWR and just nudge WASD. SmartASS will keep re-orienting your ship when you go hands off so its easy to just cruise at a few cm/s in any direction.

I already have done this over and over with the Vertical Velocity mod, which does this without all the bloat of MechJeb (which I don't need for anything else, so why have it for this?). The key to doing it this way is there are *NO* mods helping me with the controls. The ONLY mod helping me is the NavHud and I think I can even wean myself off that.

It's not an accomplishment if the computer does it for you.

So last night I spent too long trying to develop a Mk2 space plane that could carry 8 kerbals. No success yet.

So i switched to something more productive and went back to Space Bus operations. I picked up 3 more kerbals from my Mun orbit station. Then I started rendezvous with my LKO fuel station. Time got pay me and i had to leave the Space Bus 80m away from the station.

Next mission will probably just use a traditional rocket to pick up the Kerbals from the station. Then it will be refueling the Bus, adding some stuff t occur it and heading to Duna.

And 10+ rendezvous and dockings in one play session isn't an accomplishment either, it's bloody tedium.

(As is this stupid argument. If I could get MechJeb to automatically respond for me as well, it'd be perfect.)

Edited by Commander Zoom

Does that actually work, or does it vary depending on your horizontal velocity? I could imagine low grav worlds where the centre of your 'orbit' (even at 500m up) and the centre of the planet are not in the same place.

Most of my pilots are level 1-2 though, so it's not a feature I've encountered often.

When navball is in orbital mode radial/antiradial point you 90 degree to prograde/retrograde in the orbital plane and normal/antinormal point you 90 degrees to the orbital plane.

When navball is in surface mode radial/antiradial point you straight up/down and normal/antinormal point horizontally north/south.

BTW, a simple recipy: land on Mun + land on Minmus + get to solar orbit (just barely escape Kerbin's SOI and then you can head right back) = level 3 Kerbals.

Somebody should go tell NASA that.

Why is there one in every thread?

Anyway..

Launched "Goliath MPS" (Multiple Probe System) for first stages of exploring Urlam (Outer Planets Mod). I normally like to use launch clamps, but at just over 1000 tons, I decided it was best not to invite the kraken to visit.

N5NO3qfh.png

And here's a seven minute video of stuff you all do a dozen times a day. It's HD quality on youtube. Looks fuzzy embedded.

Yep, a cornucopia of autpilot sins. Automated ascent to 645 km so I can timewarp at 100k for the window I didn't bother to find before launch.

Edited by Randazzo

So last night I spent too long trying to develop a Mk2 space plane that could carry 8 kerbals. No success yet.

I've been working on a very similar problem. I don't know if it's any help, but I've got a few design rules that I follow for spaceplanes:

Designs that carry a lot of fuel but maintain a good thrust to weight ratio seem to be especially important, or just difficult to accomplish without looking unrealistic and/or looking like a lot of other spaceplanes that you see.

1xRam air intake and 2x radial intakes per engine - most of the acceleration occurs over 20km, and you'll need to stay airbreathing for as long as possible.

Lots of lift!

Sent my crew to Duna, first time in career since .90 came out. Mission went quite well, until the boys found out they only had about 600m/s of deltaV left on LDO. As a last resort, they made rendezvous with the transfer stage debris, hooked it up (.... yeah KAS), and pumped the lander almost full. It was smooth sailing from then on..

Getting ready for transfer (last pic taken, until takeoff from Duna)

82uwkGh.jpg

Fuel pumping from the remains of the transfer stage

MtZodN5.jpg

Lots of chutes..

c9MefIC.jpg

Big ass lander touched down...

gjFaGkv.jpg

Sent up a reactor and generator along with a common pod and loads of heat radiators (interstellar mod) to send to any planet, then sent up yet another reactor/generator attached with liquid fuel and 6 DT vista fusion engines with even more radiators and attempted to dock them together.

After 15 failures from the past, I successfully docked two crafts together ( with mechjeb, but mj could never do it before). Now I just docked another command pod that actually had kerbals, sent them over to the main command pod, and we're on our way to duna. No transfer window and no autopilot ( well except for having mj do the nodes I've planned out)

Since I also use remote tech 2, I was building satellites so I could stay in touch with my kerbols, but the part count was absurdly high, even with only the satellites and its transfer stage. Oh well, I'll just send them over individually when the next transfer window appears

Edit: sorry in advance for the grammar and wall of text. I'm on my phone since I have no other interwebz in my home

Edited by mrclucks

Built and flew my first successful Mk3-based SSTO. Well, mostly. I got all the parts in the right place, balanced the fuel, and realized I needed to go to bed if I had any chance of waking up on time for work.

It's a part of a new Sandbox game I'm doing, in which EVERYTHING is built in, and launched from, the SPH. No VAB involvement whatsoever. This is partially to force me to make better SSTOs, and it's also nice to see how cheaply I can get a payload into orbit.

Today, I think I'll try to finish it off and post some pics.

A long time since i posted here in this thread... actually a long time (almost 5 weeks) that i didn´t touch KSP. I seriously needed to take a pause from orbital mechanics and ship construction... currently i am waiting for the launch of the mac beta of Elite: Dangerous... to shorten the time... well, i fired up KSP again and did something to sweeten up the time until it arrives. And here´s the result... a Kidewinder... or a Kobra... make it what you want... it looks Elite though :D Enjoy.

XmpshPJ.png

5TyCi0i.png

Bw82Arq.png

CyBHjpY.png

A long time since i posted here in this thread... actually a long time (almost 5 weeks) that i didn´t touch KSP. I seriously needed to take a pause from orbital mechanics and ship construction... currently i am waiting for the launch of the mac beta of Elite: Dangerous... to shorten the time... well, i fired up KSP again and did something to sweeten up the time until it arrives. And here´s the result... a Kidewinder... or a Kobra... make it what you want... it looks Elite though :D Enjoy.

http://i.imgur.com/XmpshPJ.png

http://i.imgur.com/5TyCi0i.png

http://i.imgur.com/Bw82Arq.png

http://i.imgur.com/CyBHjpY.png

Very Very nice. I made one of these a few months back, but never got to video/fly it (wings cause flips :P ). You've got a much better design there... but they did release a lot of new wings since the latest update. And tweakables :P