<megasnip>

Doooooooo
DOOooooooooo
DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
                                                              bhrrrr

Also Sprach Zarathustra?

I made a Messerschmitt Me 262.

QCWZfMg.jpg

I got to work on making the Balls 8 and attaching an X-15. I apparently got the dimensions wrong on something because I need to cut out a lot more than a slot in the flap.

PiKR8iA.jpg

I got a bit frustrated so I decided to release that stress by playing some airplane bowling.

IrD6lO4.jpg

Si27Crq.jpg

Funny the way the front planes got completely obliterated, and the last one was heavily damaged, but the ones in between were perfectly unscathed.

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139
Replaced said inappropriate image with a (I hope) appropriate one. Sorry about that RedIronCrown!

Bob - Command Central, this is Friendship 4.  We have a problem.

Jeb - Booooob, This is CapCom.  You say you've had a problem?

Bob - Command Central, this is Friendship 4.  No I said we have a problem.  And you know that isn't my call sign. *mutter*

Jeb - Looking at my briefing notes it says "Scientist Boob will head up the "Science Processing Lab" delivery mission and then continue experimentation on the Munar surface."  Says it right here in front of me Boob.

Bob - Command Central, this is Friendship 4.  I'm guessing it says that in biro?

Jeb - Sorry Boob, you're breaking up little there.  What's the problem?

Bob - We are about to reconfigure the orbiting refuelling outpost to include the Lab, but it seems that the Lab section has neither a command pod or probe core.

Jeb - That'll teach you to fly scientist only missions without me!  I wonder how that could have possibly happened?  I hope no one snuck into the VAB and altered the design specs?

Bob - Command Central, this is Friendship 4.  Is there anyone else that could Kerbal the CapCom?

Jeb - Nope.  It's Vals birthday, so everyone else has slipped off down the pub.  I'm only here because I over slept and no one bothered to come wake me.

Bob - Disregard CapCom, I'll dock the return vessel to the lab and work round the issue that way.  Friendship 4 Out.

Jeb - Love you. Oh and that snack resupply mission may be a little delayed.  Have fun Boobie.

Bob - Jeb, I really hate you sometimes............

Snack launch overload....

Spoiler

gFfCVhS.png

Reconfigured LMO base. (With lander and return vessel)

Spoiler

LnzoZ7N.png

Not sure if that's her name or a character trait?

Spoiler

fZuTwSU.png

Got pretty tired going to the Mun and back all the time, so why not send a fully crewed spacecraft to visit Eve? So that was what I did, with this:

CevgNWT.png

So how how exactly am I going to send this giant thing to space? It was of course going to need a BIG rocket!

J815LSD.png

Ain't she a beauty? Now preparing to launch.

7n0DJie.png

And... LIFTOFF!

cD6sa4m.png

Separation of the boosters complete!

pyJUI3M.png

Escape tower clear!

aX4urHV.png

Parking orbit complete. Engine cuts off.

rMoYrzL.png

Fairings are separated to reveal the station lab, solar panels, thermals and nuclear engines.

huyt7GY.png

Separation from station. Docking procedure now underway. That fairing part gets rid of afterwards.

mhWxmZs.png

Docking in progress.

b2VMdXk.png

And capture! Docking complete, turning on all power. Activating solar panels, antennas and thermals!

W7swlwn.png

The solar panels can now get some sunlight! :cool:

FSnEDCX.png

Spacecraft parts. What gets to come to eve and what must jettison.

oZEeCAo.png

Don't need this thing anymore, so this gets to re-enter the atmosphere.

AovVsfL.png

Nuclear engines activate!

AFjOOS4.png

Welcome to the purple planet! Ain't it gorgeous...

s4rHWCp.png

All this just by launching ONE rocket with THREE kerbals! :)

0KNM4gL.png

@MR.Mac I love that spacecraft! You have some great ideas for spacecraft design. Also, have you considered using Fuel Tanks Plus and Color Coded Cannisters? They are stockalike (and CCC does nothing more than adding textures to stock parts), and I feel like they might help to give you some more variety with vessel design.

Edited by eloquentJane

13 minutes ago, eloquentJane said:

@MR.Mac I love that spacecraft! You have some great ideas for spacecraft design. Also, have you considered using Fuel Tanks Plus and Color Coded Cannisters? They are stockalike (and CCC does nothing more than adding textures to stock parts), and I feel like they might help to give you some more variety with vessel design.

Thanks. :) I actually try to use as less mods as possible due to having a weak computer at the moment. The craft is completely stock except for that giant "spacecraft control room" which I got from the Near Future Spacecraft mod I think. I might try those sometime though once my PC can handle more mods. :P

@MR.Mac CCC and FTP are fairly computer-friendly I think. They take up a little more memory for the added textures, but because they don't add radical new designs for part models, they should be fine. They're certainly less processor-intensive than the Near Future mods in any case (and yes, that large command pod is from NF Spacecraft).

Also, you do need Interstellar Fuel Switch or Firespitter (the plugin, not the parts) to use both the mods I suggested, but presumably you're using one of those already for the pure liquid fuel in that transfer stage (unless you just got rid of all the oxidizer, which I suppose is plausible though not ideal).

Edited by eloquentJane

Umm... is the sky supposed to be a lovely shade of pink?

Laythe_Sky.png

You know what? We'll roll with it. Besides, it looks pretty.

Anyway, you may have noticed a mysterious payload attached to the back of the Wader. If you read my posts before I took a break from KSP, you might remember what is is. But let's face it: you probably don't. So I will tell you!

Buoy2.png

It's a buoy! Since you can't plant flags on water, I figured I'd use buoys to mark my location! :D

Milberta, Magxy and Aldbur decided to have a little fun before they left.

Laythe_Sagen_Sea.png

Anndd... orbit successful! Finally, a mission that worked!

Wader_Orbit.png

EDIT: I should probably wait until later to make these posts so I don't have to make two/edit a previous post. But so much exciting stuff happens that I want to share!

Anyway, time for the second Wader!

Hey look, there's the first landing site!

Orbital_Buoy.png

And I managed to get a landing where I didn't have to do a somersault and nothing broke!

That is, until the wings realized "OH NO WATER" and flew away.

wingz_plz.png

No, I'm serious. They just suddenly snapped off for no reason. I had already come to a stop.

And now I keep flipping over.

So it looks like I'll have to retry over and over again until I nail the landing, just like yesterday.

Unless...

I have a plan so crazy it just might completely backfire.

...or it could actually work. And just in time for a pretty sunset!

Laythe_Sunest_2.png

Okay, I know from these images you can't tell what I did. But I'll explain:

The buoy is designed to detach from the Wader and fly straight up into the air, at which point it descends by parachute and (hopefully) lands nearby.

So I just used the parachute at the last minute to slow me down and help me pull up!

And the best part is I can just have a Kerbal repack it. So there's nothing lost!

Buoy3.png

Meanwhile, back at Kerbin I've decided to return to my roots and re-create my very first SSTO, the Pulsar:

Pulsar.png

Pulsar_New.png

It's not an exact replica, as there have been many changes since then (if you want proof just look at the parts :P). Apparently it's good enough however, as it's managed to get into orbit! One of the intakes exploded however, but I'll work on that.

Pulsar_Orbit.png

Edited by Brownhair2

2 hours ago, Clipperride said:

@MR.Mac. Loving the design of your boosters on that big rocket!  I may have to steal develop something similar myself.  Nice work. 

1 hour ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@MR.Mac you've really posted a winning design there. Congrats! :)

Thanks guys. :D I'll have to admit, I kinda had more fun making and launching this rocket than making landings on the Mun (though landings on the Mun can be fun too). A great way to travel to the stars with no more than one launch. :cool:

Over this past weekend, I've tried to build a space shuttle that lacks the one thing I always put in all my spaceplanes. Canards. I came up with the Chimera.

Spoiler

WwWySWc.jpg

3fUSMRA.png

bpQsYOL.png

Zcm7gJT.png

xDz29DW.png

RuLIHzY.png

znIV03n.jpg

This thing is actually easy to fly. On ascent, you have to be careful to watch your thrust as it uses SRBs as boosters and the thrust will never stay in one place. It took me quite a while to make it so that it is controllable even if it is throttled down to at least 2/3 thrust. It also uses monopropellant for OMS, my first shuttle that actually does this, which helps it not stall during and after re-entry due to the Monopropellant being lighter than the bulky LFO fuel. This makes it so most of the mass is in the middle, rather than the front and allows it to re-enter at 45 degrees AoA. Just wait until you are at least under 500 m/s surface to nose down.

It did CSM 1 last night (Chimera Shuttle Mission) where it took up part of Sotblomsta Station, my 3rd attempt at a LKO station in my new save. If you are wondering what happened to the others, one was bombarded by the Kraken and the second was "accidently" smashed into Kerbin when testing in low gravity went wrong. :P Anyways the shuttle also carried four KMUs up which could help with placing the module. If you don't know, KMU stands for Kerbal Maneuvering Unit. EJ_SA used it to assemble his station so I stole the idea. :P 

It went much smoother than I was thinking it would having not tested my version of the KMU at all. Long story short, I got it into orbit so smoothly, it was like a symmetrical rocket and then rendezvoused with the station. Missed it the first time so I had to wait 3 hours with only 4 green arrows of timewarp. (Can't remember if that is 100% or 1000% or whatever it is :blush: ) When I got there, I docked the KMUs to the module and then approached the station. Docking went even smoother than the launch did. I then attempted to dock the shuttle but the docking mechanism needs some serious work so I backed off in fear of breaking something. I then de-orbited and landed just like that.

I'll probably post the craft file in the spacecraft exchange soon.

However on the subject of Sotblomsta Station, the next few modules are too big for a shuttle. So like a majority of this station's parts, it'll go up in a Vulcan. Yup ULA's new cross between a Delta IV and an Atlas V. My ULA replicas will also go up in the spacecraft exchange too.

But that's it for now.

Fire

I drafted a Duna Ascent Vehicle for my new Duna base that I can drop dry and fuel with these fancy new drill and refinary parts I just unlocked. My base is going to be a lot larger than my other outposts, and this one is to be permanent. I have a cute little biplane for science and a faster jet, just for getting around. Unlike my previously inflatable outposts, this base is going to be solid, with some inflatables where needed. I have a fleet of 6 Rovers and two of each plane, all for different jobs. I'm making a landing pad specifically for my crewed orbital dropship and a larger one for my delicate cargo. I also have a designated landing pad for my Kontainer dropship, which is 200m away, just to be safe.

Luna and Maat Kerman have been trialling all the new craft, and particularly like the LSV (Light Strike Vehicle). Its "super speedy", and Luna "drives like a boss". Luna and Maat were promptly promoted to bring part of the crew as the Vehicle Pilots. Recently, the have been making trips to the Island Airbase in the Mk1 Zippy, and have been having lots of fun using the new amphibious Rover. They took the new Mk2 Supersub for a spin and almost took out the mock-up of the new floating Laythe base. As they land their private Mk1 AusBee VTOL at their villa on the edge of Airbase Island, they both chat about how worked up Wernher Von Kerman must be pushing out all this designs, and both agree that they'll have to bring him out to their holiday house for an icy drink under the setting sun.

I'll try to provide photos too, but I haven't had the time. Expect them soon!:wink:

Edited by AccidentsHappen
I can't proof read

3 Duna/Ike contracts in one launch.

Plant a flag on Duna

Plant a flag on Ike

Deploy satellite in Ike orbit.

I'm happy with the craft. Low burntimes and enough DeltaV for errors. Probably I will update, tweak and upload it.

The return is not that good because I didnt wait to the window. So its in a 1y parking orbit.

With Kerbal Alarm I am doing other missions in the meantime :)

There was a large dose of more troubleshooting of things for me, nothing story-worthy to share screenshots of, but it was all fun and all worth it. Oh.... I did attempt to install a planet (which isn't 1.2 ready yet, and not part of Galileo's planets) hoping to screenshot it (and see how close its orbit is to Gratian) so I could make promo art...or to see how KSP would choke on a version-mismatched mod planet. It sounds so promising I couldn't believe no one knows about it.

In my 1.2 career game it was time to send a group of four tourists on a snazzy trip around the Kerbin system, with some being satisfied with just hanging around in orbit of Mun and Minmus, while others wanted to get a close up look at the surface. So a vehicle based around a single nuke engine was assembled and put it into a nice 350'ish km orbit of Kerbin, ready for the trip.

b8YaO6W.jpg

However once circularised it was realised that a classic error had been made... they'd forgotten to seat their paying guests in the Hitchhiker can. No problem, just throw together something cheap and (almost) within safety regulations, pack the tourists into it and fling it into orbit for a rendezvous with their tourist bus and its back on schedule again.

zzo0IK1.jpg

With the rendezvous of the local shuttle and the bus in orbit, the team at KSC could think about how they were going to spend the well earned bonuses they were going to receive for this juicy tourist contract.

NxnWCMv.jpg

Just one small problem. It was assumed that the tourists would just EVA over to their bus, but it was completely forgot that the tourists had no EVA training or equipment.

When it was suggested to the tourists by the ground crew that they just jetpack over to the bus, all they got was a blank look... and then they started laughing.

jnRxgPW.jpg

Oh how they laughed.

QlFTYMd.jpg

Terms and conditions: Section 12b

"Delivery (to the bus) in 30 minutes or its free"

So no bonuses for the team this trip.

Edited by purpleivan

Not exactly today, but I had no time last night to post.

Duna B/Minmus T4 (The first test of the Minmus spacecraft on a Duna B rocket. After placed into orbit, the third stage placed the apoapsis a little more than halfway to the Mun. The CSM then lowered the apoapsis back down, retrofired, reentered, and landed.): Success

KerbinLab 2 (Due to the continued assembly and training of the crew for Minmus 1, KerbinLab 2 was already made. It was strapped onto a Duna B and launched into orbit.): Success

Messenger 14 (An Eve transfer window suddenly opened, so engineers at the KSC scrambled to put something together. It was the second probe to use the orbiter/ lander configuration. The probe will insert itself into an Eve orbit, temporarily put itself into a suborbital trajectory, jettison the lander, and put itself back into orbit. The lander will then orbit and parachute to the ground.)

Next launch: KerbinLab 3 (The second part to KerbinLab 1. A crew sleeping and lounge area.)

Eclipse at the Minmus T4 launch

Jp9Xqzs.png

Minmus T4 at apoapsis

Jp9Xqzs.png

6 hours ago, KingPhantom said:

3 Duna/Ike contracts in one launch.

Plant a flag on Duna

Plant a flag on Ike

Deploy satellite in Ike orbit.

I'm happy with the craft. Low burntimes and enough DeltaV for errors. Probably I will update, tweak and upload it.

The return is not that good because I didnt wait to the window. So its in a 1y parking orbit.

With Kerbal Alarm I am doing other missions in the meantime :)

i know how to do screenshots but to share it with friends in whatsapp i often photograph the screen. so i only have this picture of the craft... it should be enough to see for newer people how you can do a lander for duna & ike (with a little probe to leave on the surface of duna or ike and a little satellite for leaving in a orbit.

IMG-20161114-WA0007.jpeg

edit: i use the 2.5 to quad 1.25 decoupler on the end. i have 8 nukes on that. so the burntime is lower (on cost of deltav... but we have enough of that).

dont forget to disable the "crossfuel" in the giant docking ports. otherwise the nukes will suck your lander dry. and the lander is very difficult to place on duna. use shutes and engines to bleed of speed and land with 0.5m/s. otherwise you will hop and spin.

the additional lf&ox fuel tank in the interplanetary stage is for refill for ike. you will have extremly enough fuel with that. dont forget to "disable" the use of this tank. the nukes are thirsty on everything :D

4 hours ago, Kertech said:

KAC is the greatest, it has the most merit for the "should be stock" award!!

sorry. but i dont think so. its a great mod. but like kerbal engineer or mechjeb not enough "stock like".

spaceplane+ was completly stock like and matches good into the game. we shouldn't push every mod into stock :). just stock like parts :D

Edited by KingPhantom

(1.1.3, FAR to go) Spent most of yesterday building and rebuilding craft. A fair amount of time was spent on the design for a booster for the Piper Alpha 7 refinery craft; as feared, the craft came in at just over a thousand tonnes with a price tag of √916k, too expensive for me to launch at the present time, so I decided I should try to knock out a few more contracts to gain some capital. I built a testing rig for the Rhino engine (I didn't need the contract any more since I'd unlocked the Rhino) and made a quick √50k, then picked up a second temperature survey contract. I'll be taking a look at possible tech upgrades to the Bad Idea 5 surveyor plane, mainly to switch out its Panthers for Whiplashes so I can go higher, faster. Probably do that later today.

With a contract to deliver a probe to geosynch orbit, I set my mind to designing the Auk IV, a probe-delivery spaceplane. The craft was mostly successful - it did make it to orbit, delivered its payload and re-entered successfully - though it had two critical design flaws: I forgot to lock down the fuel on its payload, so I didn't notice it didn't have full tanks once it was delivered, and the wings were too loose; there were a couple of times during the re-entry that I would've sworn they were coming off the plane. Flappy Bird 7 would've been a good alternative name for the craft - that bad. And ultimately what prevented a successful recovery, which sucked since I was trying to save money...

P6V80zE.png%C2%A0
Auk IV delivering a Bleepity-Bleep 7 probe

2rJMX0r.png%C2%A0
Bleepity-Bleep 7 deployed with Auk IV in the background.

Since I was designing planes and I'd had success with a redesign of the Auk I rescue spaceplane the previous day, I decided to take another look at the Auk III medium tanker, and came to the determination that really it just needed another pair of engines. Engines added, fuel load re-distributed, and this happened:

K9T5xVL.png%C2%A0
Auk III tanker docked with Strange Cargo

Auk III was recovered intact and now Strange Cargo is ready for another ferrying run to Mün. Debating as to whether I want to load it up with more passengers or just send it empty so it can haul a few of the tourists already there back. The sister ship Next Objective is next up on the refuel list now that Auk III is finally operational. I'll likely send one craft empty, one craft full I also recovered the initial Auk II launched to retrieve the passengers from Next Objective, a successful landing that brought back in the money for the craft's parts.

In addition to the refueling flights, I have plans to either send up a Bill Clinton 7 grabber probe to try to haul down Bleepity-Bleep 7 or send Bill up for a KAS refuel flight, and I'm thinking about building an ore-hauler - one will become Auk V, the next Auk VI, of course. Probably will attempt the refuel of Bleepity-Bleep 7 to try and recoup some of the losses from Auk IV's maiden voyage. I've already corrected the flaws of that design and hope to try again in the near future.

End this with some screenies from the other day:

APBMnRJ.png%C2%A0
Bill Clinton 7 probe hauling down a Hammer booster.

QBdt3AQ.png%C2%A0
The Munport 7 space station.

Edited by capi3101
Screenies didn't load properly, fixed.

Not much really.

Accepted three contracts; one for science from the surface of the mun, rescue stranded kerbalnaut in kerbin orbit, and another for temp reading from an area close to Munar Probe Mk1-A.

The surface science was a piece of cake. The lab rats at Mun Science Base 1 were eager to send back their 68 points of accumulated science. Contract complete.

The stranded kerbal (a pilot class stuck in a nearly mun altitide orbit, which if i dont hurry will probably fling him out of the soi of kerbin) will wait til I can get more time for mission planning. 

But the other one, whew, it's going to be tough. Need to be less than 10000 m above the surface and MP Mk1-A will be at the end of its fuel load when it gets there. It may not survive the journey. The first try was too high and not enough fuel to return to the location. So although the contract says its close to my probe, its not. Reverted so I can plan the mission better.

Edited by Big Kerbie
Looked like a bad run on paragragh