What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Thats a very nice looking plane you have got yourself right there @Halfdan, but out of those parts you use, i have the landing gear, the RCS, the tail fin and the terriers. So not too much. Through several tests on Kerbin i have however found that the terriers are bad to use on a Duna plane, and the sparks are much better. If you use 3 sparks instead of two terriers you will get more thrust and a higher Isp. The biggest of my problems aren't fuel though, its jumping when i land, and the very uneven terrain my base are located in. But i have a smaller unmanned science rover only 36 days away from Duna's SoI, so i will have a way to collect science soon. Then i can research some more and get better plane parts for a new plane.

6 minutes ago, Flamingo said:

Thats a very nice looking plane you have got yourself right there @Halfdan, but out of those parts you use, i have the landing gear, the RCS, the tail fin and the terriers. So not too much. Through several tests on Kerbin i have however found that the terriers are bad to use on a Duna plane, and the sparks are much better. If you use 3 sparks instead of two terriers you will get more thrust and a higher Isp. The biggest of my problems aren't fuel though, its jumping when i land, and the very uneven terrain my base are located in. But i have a smaller unmanned science rover only 36 days away from Duna's SoI, so i will have a way to collect science soon. Then i can research some more and get better plane parts for a new plane.

low airspeed and RCS help compensate for the bouncing issue also performing a flare manouver right before touchdown is a good idea

yeah the terriers are kinda overkill, the next versions will be equipped with the smaller engines

Okay, KSP is firing up... what shall I do today. 

Oh, oh I know... Let's start working on my new grand tour Mothership... Except MKS/Interstellar fuel switch aren't installed in my 1.2 folder, nor did I get an updated version before my 2 months leave of KSP. 
Well that sucks.

Alright then, let's mod those cockpits to have internal lights with the default code now present in stock KSP... Code's now in there, but the cockpits do not turn on ? 
Oh oh, I see... you need to have a "light bulb" inside the model to make them work.  Unfortunately that is beyond my skills so... meh

Well, this is going well today ain't it ?  Let's try and re-mod the M27 cockpit from B9 to use the old analog instruments instead of the RasterPropMonitor witch I never install. 
Umm nothing in the mod's webpage/folder to use the old models.   Good thing I kept my old folders... Nope.  The instrument are in the wrong place and much too small. 
Trying to enlarge them... well... does not work either.

Well I'll be damned if I don't get *SOMETHING* done in KSP today.  Meh, let me check the available missions :  blah blah blah... ferry 2 tourists, ferry 1 VIP, ferry 4 tourists, ferry 6 tourists.  
Wait what !? :o   I think I've found something to occupy my afternoon.  It means not going to Duna... again... but w/e, NASA's been putting it off for the last 40 years so the hell if I know.

After mulling around for an hour or so, I've done something compact with great dV and room for 16.  Launch was easy and uneventful, so here's the mission album :

WDrLdXn.png
« In orbit around Kerbin, the 'Tourist-One' sets sail. Forgot the damn heatshield again, but what could *possibly* go wrong ? »

QDjTcFi.png
« Mün deceleration burn.  The tweaksized 1,25m KR-2L+ engine performs incredibly well with it's 340 ISP and 128 kN thrust. »

asmp5Af.png
« Final approach to surface landing spot. At least something's working well today ! »

uodyTRX.png
« Erm... Kerbin? We have many happy tourists here ! »

Of course, we then set sail to Minmus.  A very convenient transfer window was waiting for us  a day later for 200 m/s. 
Nothing special happened, and it was decided we did not need to dock with Mün's fuel depot afterall.  Shortly after, we reached Minmus:

QKX6dxO.png
« Final landing maneuvers are in progress, landing in the flats and fuel status is great. »

qFvvBVb.png
« Annnnd... Touchdown with a sliver of fuel in the fuel module on top. Tourists remark that Kerbin is much smaller from here. »

3lmfjpO.png
« Minmus departure initiated, successful ejection of the fuel module... »

zE1dXox.png
« Ejection burn in progress, enough fuel for a braking burn around Kerbin as well. » 

ympRNBP.png
« Speaking of the devil, we're back home after a two weeks trip.  The crew aims at the maneuver node... »

GClSOKJ.png
« ... and gives the ship all she's got to brake the orbit down to 'safer' levels... Betcha you regret not taking that heatshield to 'save weight' now, eh Jeb? »

4NVs8aE.png
« Man was that ever close.  Too close.  But we have successful parachute deployment . . . »

NbCpV5V.png
« ... and Touchdown in Kerbin's oceans just 60km east of the KSC. »

So I started that mission with 5.8mil kerbucks. After the mission I'm now at 7mil. But in order to get all the mods I want to continue my exploration of the Kerbol system, I will need to update to the latest version of KSP and re-upgrade all my mods again.  Not looking forward to that at all. I guess it's a good excuse as any to keep fooling around in Kerbin SoI, but I really want to head to Duna soon. 

Hope you enjoyed, and happy holidays all.

Edited by Francois424

Lately it seems people are being hit by floods.

I have bigger problems.

Tsunami.png

Oh, but don't worry, I still get floods too.

Flood.png

Well, in between floods and entire oceans flying off in search of less explode-y places, I've managed to pull off a successful test run of my crane!

Hauling.png

Dropping.png

Driving.png

Minor issue: the crane seems to be able to carry things just fine. Which defeats the purpose of the cargo rover. Plus I'm going to have to bring the crane anyway to unload the cargo.

Edited by Brownhair2

Today Areion made its inaugural flight and definitely is qualified for futur operations.

G7DFhgW.png

JoMYtzJ.png

I was terribly borred at the shop opening with nobody coming before the next two hours that I past the time to draw new prototypes. The XC-16B is one of them.

oRlYATF.png

zIs5xez.png

Powered by five Goliath turbofans the climb is smooth and stable. About safety it should be better to release the launcher with a 0 degree angle but we were here for challenge and fun!

mLgbQwa.png

UO9p3xy.png

5eniM47.png

See you fatty. With a TWR of 1.7 we can't say that the launcher really is a performant one...

jZrWD3F.png

ZxgHWMH.png

But it mades its job perfectly, rising the Apogee to 213 km before running out of propellants.

RPCBBhH.png

umak3Pp.png

Separation and insertion on a circular 500 km orbit.

ZlejKS1.png

The objective now was to intercept Duna before Singularity rover arrive in its SoI. I found a good compromise on time and dV it asked for and the relay should arrive about 20 days before the rover to be placed on a polar Molnya-like orbit. Ensuring some good hours of rover control every Dunian days.

17 hours ago, Flamingo said:

In my science save my base has finally arrived to Duna and landed in a slightly sloped area. Now it is time for Jeb to bring his plane down from orbit so it can fly around and collect science. But landing the plane was slightly harder than i thought i would be, so i made a little video of how to land a plane on Duna.

7 hours ago, Halfdan said:

main propulsion is by two terrier engines

landing in a low gravity environment with thin athmosphere is.... interessting to say the least, airbreaks are VERY usefull but i sometimes hat to perform sort of a drift to retrograde and throttle the engines to full

3155C7902AD49E1B2CCB243CD44E93AA3FEED935

So, I think that I need to present my drone plane for Duna and Ike...

Is a Drone plane, but had space for 6 Kerbals for 7 days. Is a good emergency and liaison  plane for the Duna-Ike system. 

Planes in Duna are... a horrible idea.

Spoiler

Drone Plane arriving Duna

sX4lxvc.png

Duna Drone has 3 Nukes  and ...

Spoiler

0flA3Of.png

Seven spikes... Because I will not have enough sustentation with the wings. 

1bnCbc7.png

The weight of the plane is 65tn full and 35tn empty.

Some more images on the album http://imgur.com/a/b9sVd

I am becoming better, but I usually I only make a good landing after 3-5 tries...

8 hours ago, XB-70A said:

Today Areion made its inaugural flight and definitely is qualified for futur operations.

G7DFhgW.png

I was terribly borred at the shop opening with nobody coming before the next two hours that I past the time to draw new prototypes. The XC-16B is one of them.