What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Just now, HansonKerman said:

I know this is a dumb question, but I’m new to the forums, and I have a little question-how to insert a screenshot?

First step is to host the screenshot on a 3'rd party website: I personally use Imgur.

Then, paste the hyperlink with IMG tags here. The KSP forum doesn't directly host images, mostly because of people like me who post an absurd number of screenshots.

57 minutes ago, InterplanetJanet said:

Ending with the weirdest picture of the day(so far) , from the cardboard box capsules on the sciency balloon.9UCrHze.png

Ok! :0.0: Well, I’m not sleeping tonight. Think I’ll go turn all the lights on then go find a quiet corner to curl up and hug myself and mumble for a while. 

4 hours ago, capi3101 said:

Unless one abruptly cuts the power to the treadmill, of course. Then it's hard not to do so.

Not speaking from personal experience here. Nope. Totally no personal experience. Seriously.

I... I can't... I can't believe it. Finally, I found someone else who knows what you can feel during this split second where you don't really realize what is, and what will happen in the next half second.

Personally, my chin is still remembering it...

2 hours ago, HansonKerman said:

Awesome. What did Jeb, Wherner, and Gene say about it?

:D

That I lied, it was only 5 survey contracts, not 6.

The extra contract came from testing the chute...Those nitpicking kerbals... :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, XB-70A said:

I... I can't... I can't believe it. Finally, I found someone else who knows what you can feel during this split second where you don't really realize what is, and what will happen in the next half second.

I believe this feeling you’re describing is technically known as Oh, crap.

3 hours ago, Triop said:

It's good to be back. ^_^

Nice to see you back ^_^

1 hour ago, XB-70A said:

Not on a treadmill, but certainly on a bike.....

4 hours ago, HansonKerman said:

I know this is a dumb question, but I’m new to the forums, and I have a little question-how to insert a screenshot?

Upload the picture on imgur.com and paste the link (either directly to the image, or the tag provided by imgur's "get share links" feature).

(Doesn't have to be imgur of course but it's handy and most people seem to use it, including yrs trly.)

7 hours ago, eberkain said:

I flew my new spaceship for the first time.

Where's your little dohicky to hold down the Left-Shift key for running? :wink:

6 hours ago, Kronus_Aerospace said:

Now, I know what you're thinking.

No. No. Just, no.

What are you? Son of @Whackjob?

1 hour ago, Triop said:

Don't panic ! ! !

Been there. Done that. You got lucky.

The time I found myself in that situation (posted here in the forums, with pictures, ages ago), as the capsule was sliding down the mountain, I thought for sure it would explode and I'd lose the pilot... so I bailed. Turns out, the capsule caught an edge and survived, while the pilot tumbled and tumbled and tumbled and finally went POOF! :/

And now, in my world;

The last two crew on Duna are about to head back home. They're science crew, finishing up the last of some research data. Once transmitted, they board their ride and head home. That closes the Duna chapter for me, all anomalies visited. I do however have two ships heading for Ike... I forgot to investigate it.

I also wrapped up the Dres chapter. Both landers lifted off full of science, and both crews have already docked up with their respective transports and are on their way home. Left behind are a few flags, a good working science lab, and a nice (slightly used) rover.

My next adventure that I'm mulling over, and have already started to construct, is the Eeloo Colony Explorer. The Eeloo Explorer 1, a success, with crew about to head home, the Colony Explorer will see a small science colony (hab, lab, rover) set up for a few years while my science crews crawl that ice world. Should be fun.

Edited by LordFerret

5 hours ago, DarkOwl57 said:

https://imgur.com/a/JXVbu

My friends, today, in the land of Kerbal Powers (a KSP RP), I have built something amazing. The F-11 Viper. Armed with a nice assortment of missiles, this light fighter can travel pretty far (Well over 30km on the speed test before the engines overheated [derp]), and pretty fast (In the speed test we got a stellar 900+m/s). The design, in my opinion, is kinda cute, but ominous and spooky at the same time. 

nxgxdSI.png

Come on, that looks cool

Looks... dangerous. 

*runs to bunker*

YIKES!

Had this on the planning stages for a while, the plane is ready, just gotta land the plane without crashing it. Now the 'Wilfrey' joins its brothers on the northern base. Why Wilfrey? Because Wilfrey Kerman was the late test pilot of the planes I built in the pursuit for speed. Of course, the 'Wilfrey' honors its namesake by being the fastest so far.

E2Tmv2w.png

8QaMIOS.png

Edited by Mignear

Well, I was very pleased to find that the broken terrain seemed to have fixed itself when I loaded my save today. Also, I can confirm that it was indeed the lack of an engineer that made the mining base run poorly - although now it has some power issues, despite having more solar panels than you can shake a stick at. I'll add fuel cells for the next model, since it basically has infinite fuel.

FDF85483083635E8CE37408FA0E8B3ED6451A45E

Anyway, today was mostly spent running the fuel lifter up and down to recover stranded crafts. At one point, the fuel lifter "collided with Duna" and exploded violently.... while over 3000km away from Duna. Reloaded and continued on the exact same path and nothing went wrong. At this point I've basically accepted that Duna bears a dark curse and the occasional breakage of reality is a normal event within its sphere of influence. Based on the grins of the crew members, I'd say they have as well.

"What was that?!"

"Oh, that was just a dragon gnawing on the roots of the seven-dimensional tree that binds the universe together. It's been quite a nuisance around here, but what can you do? Can I get you some more koffee?"

So despite the glitchiness and initial problems I have actually succeeded in fully recovering the mission! I put all components for Onyx Station into the desired orbit (including flipping the orbit to go the correct way around) and assembled the parts, so the station is now fully functional.

21C75A1C705A05234FBC8E72A9926C3F0251AED1

Also, I've arranged the comm sats into their constellation around Duna, where the four of them provide coverage to just about every spot on both Duna and Ike. The mess is finally cleaned up!

D2BD985826D5021DB6CDB0AD4DA6A4CC8B8DC0B9

Well, not today specifically, but I've been playing career on my modded install... and its... grindy...

I'm playing a 3x radius/SMA rescale, more details: 

Spoiler

1.5x terrain height, sqrt(3) rotation period, 1.25x atmosphere. LKO orbital velocity is ~4050 m/s for reference.

Reentry heating I left unchanged, Com net settings: 3x to distance, .99 vac occulison, .97 atmo occlusion

Funding is not a problem, I can still make profits easily despite it requiring much more dV to complete missions.

The problem is science, its much harder to pull off the missions to Mun with limited science. On top of that, I moved Minmus out between Duna and Jool, to keep Dres some company/flesh out an asteroid belt. Then I moved Mun to where Minmus is. With the 3x rescale, flights take super long, and I'm using TAC life support, which addes even more mass if I want a kerbal'd mission.

I finally broke my habit of overbuilding everything... I had been developing huge SSTOs, and modules deployable from mk3 cargobays, so every payload was several tons.

I just completed my first robotic Mun landing, with a craft massing 3.5 tons (no science Jr or goo pod, since I can't reset them, and I'm trying to get multiple landings out of it and a FL-T800 tank in orbit.)

I hope I can get enough science still to unlock the tech tree before going interplanetary...

I've decided to test the combat effectiveness of stock propellers in BDarmory. I fitted my stock Spitfire replica with 4 50cals. Unfortunately, BDarmory doesn't seem to know how to fly stock props, so I've fitted the enemy aircraft (Replicas of BF-109s) with jet engines instead. The battle was 1(me) v 5(AI).

XZcsSmO.jpg

ABOVE: Spitfire replica (stock) fitted with 4 50cals using BDarmory

BELOW: Formation of jet-powered BF-109s (with engines tuned to match the speed of the stock props)

Db0ESRV.jpg

I also had a few issues with the AI Pilots... (somehow it still flew with the extra load)

IklwEpX.jpg

Anyways, a 5v1 was actually harder than I thought. I thought the AI pilots were stupid, but they were using Boom and Zoom tactics which really surprised me! I ended up with a plane that nearly completely fell apart. The cockpit was shattered, parts were on crooked angles, bits of wing fell off as I did manouevers and my tailwheel (and I guess the whole tail itself) decided they didn't want to be a part of the plane anymore.

RRsvR0t.jpg

I genuinely was surprised at how the propeller still spun reliably and how the flight characteristics of the plane were roughly the same (except of course for a lack of yaw control). At some point I plan to make a video of a battle.

i finnally got tourists to the mun and back after many failed attempts(and dead kerbals.)

only to have their pod land on the side of a mountain and slowly slide down the side of it at .07m/s, it was also out of electricity and the only solar panel was blocked by the mountain.

i waited till the sun came around and retracted the landing gear thinking it would slide to a stop sooner, instead it tumbles and slides, breaking off two landing legs and the nose cone before finnally coming to a rest.

Didn't have much time to KSP last night (nor will tonight :/ ) -- on high-school-theatre-parent duty -- but I did start putting together an homage to the early 60's Soviet TMK (Heavy Interplanetary Ship).  Far from done, but it appears to have some interesting KSP potential.

Finished visiting or scanning or landing on all bodies in GPP. My station and mining lander at Leto was tricky in that I under planned the fuel/deltav and needed to very carefully use aerobraking. If I move the remaining fuel from the station to the lander (which is not enough to fill it), I should have enough to lift more ore than I used for fuel to make the round trip. It might be close.  If not, need to send fuel, which is a 40 year trip using Hohmann transfer. I also cut it really close at Leto.  My first ore trip only gave me a 300 LF/OX profit, but it was enough.  Took 3 trips just to get the lander filled with max fuel, and it was easy from there.

On 2018/03/02 at 12:20 AM, InterplanetJanet said:

I downloaded this (V1) from KerbalX but haven't been able to use it since I don't have the appropriate probe core unlocked yet

I feel for you because that's exactly why I put off rebuilding this beast for so long!  I was daunted.  But it has gone well.

You might also open a parallel, Sandbox world for the express purpose of trying out machines from other sources...

There is a 2.5m Remote Guidance Unit in the central core at the top of Level 2.  But it's hard to get to.  It's likely the root node.

Be advised I will be publishing v2 in the next day or two.  v2 has opened up more maintenance room between the stacks and it's easier to get in and out of.  I'd be happy to build you a custom rig with, say, an Octo2, but I'm rather betting KSP may then start objecting about the other pieces.

Do PM me if you want to go further with this.  Or try the Sandbox idea.

I just did some math to figure out whether one Mainsail or a cluster of 9 KS-25s is more efficient, ASL at least.

Short answer: The cluster is more efficient.

Long answer: At full thrust, one Mainsail can push 108.134t with a TWR of 1.3. Each of the KS-25s needs to run at 16.362% to achieve the same TWR with that mass (once again leading me to think that they're overkill).

The Mainsail (at full thrust) consumes 44.407 units of fuel per second. 9 Vectors, each at 16.362% thrust, collectively use 42.903 units of fuel per second (each Vector uses 4.767 units/second).

I therefore conclude that the cluster uses 1.504 units/second less and, as such, is 1.035 times as efficient as the Mainsail.

Hopefully I didn't make any errors in the calculations... Feel free to correct me if there is something wrong with it.

Edited by Delay

45 minutes ago, Delay said:

I just did some math to figure out whether one Mainsail or a cluster of 9 KS-25s is more efficient, ASL at least.

Short answer: The cluster is more efficient.

Long answer: At full thrust, one Mainsail can push 108.134t with a TWR of 1.3. Each of the KS-25s needs to run at 16.362% to achieve the same TWR with that mass (once again leading me to think that they're overkill).

The Mainsail (at full thrust) consumes 44.407 units of fuel per second. 9 Vectors, each at 16.362% thrust, collectively use 42.903 units of fuel per second (each Vector uses 4.767 units/second).

I therefore conclude that the cluster uses 1.504 units/second less and, as such, is 1.035 times as efficient as the Mainsail.

Hopefully I didn't make any errors in the calculations... Feel free to correct me if there is something wrong with it.

You... could have just looked at engine performance statistics. The KS-25 has better specific impulse from sea level to vacuum, almost identical to slightly better TWR over the same range, and more gimbal: in terms of pure performance, a cluster of 3 KS-25 Vectors will always outperform a pair of Mainsails for the same mass. The primary disadvantage of the KS-25 is that it costs over twice as much per unit mass/thrust: it's not a cheap engine.

Because of that, I would prefer Mainsails for first and probably even second stages, with Vectors used for scenarios like Eve ascent, and Space Shuttle analogues that need the Vector's large gimbal range. Or, for that matter, science/sandbox mode where cost is no object.

Edited by Starman4308