What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I engineered and launched a lighting module for my Kerbal Space Station, rendezvoused and docked. In the process, I un-circularized my station's orbit a bit. It was from accidentally throttling up a relic mainsail on one of the fuel tanks attached to the station.

I tried using light throttle and twisting to fix my orbit... and came out of map mode to see half my station floating away in pieces! I guess the wobbliness of docking-port attachment took its toll with attitude adjustments.

Four Lessons: 1) Put lights on everything with a docking port. 2) Deactivate engines on stations. 3) Use RCS only for station orbit adjustments, since every module has a bunch of ports and fuel is plentiful. 4) Quicksave before difficult maneuvers... AND AFTER ACHIEVING STUFF. Lost a couple hours effort because I didn't quicksave after successful docking.

what did I do in KSP today? I killed a space station that refused to be edited or cooperate with me in any way. this thing survived a DELETION from the save file, persistent AND quicksave, and guess what? it survived a 300KM plunge through atmosphere <3000m/s at interface> THEN impact with the water!!!!

Javascript is disabled. View full album

only damage i saw it take during re-entry was the loss of solar arrays on both that deorbital stage and the station.... demon and hell spawn that station. works just fine in my sandbox, but once it got moved to career by a save file edit, it turned into a NIGHTMARE.

I finally sent Jeb on a fly-by of Eve! This is my first manned mission to another planet. Managed to grab 1600+ science from it too, because I brought a lot of duplicate science modules. Sadly, due to what I think is a glitch in Remote Tech 2, I was only able to get one crew report because I couldn't transmit them. So, I kept the one from "high above the sun".

Launched what I've decided to dub the "Jebulon", my new space station. Per my standards it has cushy private rooms for each Kerbal (up to 8) that double as escape pods.

screen30.jpg

Unfortunately the single docking port on the bottom was insufficient to support its weight under 2 g's, and I didn't want dead strut nubs on my station, so I had to build a weird contraption with mini decouplers and docking ports and girders everywhere, but after the second try it worked as intended and now I've poked and prodded the thing into a 150km orbit.

With my Duna expedition on its way at last, I tried to build a crew taxi spaceplane - the little guy was so happy about itself taking of so smoothly that it always concludes takeoff with a summersault before flying straight again ... steering is wobbly and it veers off easily when touching the controls - it also produces odd g-effects (DRE) a few hundred meters after takeoff, killing the pilot and disassembling itself ... program shelved for the time being.

Designed a rover and put it on top of a rocket - without testing it ever as I only now remember - and launched it to Mun.

It carries a docking adapter and excess fuel for the Kethane mining station's orbit hopper to grab and land it.

Landing - close to something else - again - oh joy ... oh practice ...

Brought my MobileMiner back from Minmus, it's on its way now. Somehow it gets even more off balance as the tanks get emptied (it already is unbalanced by missing a converter on one of the three outer tank/drill assemblies), may have to dedicate the outer tanks to ballast duty only.

24k units if Kethane to be put to good use in future missions.

Might lose patience and send my KSC staff on vacation for about 65 days to time warp to my expedition arriving at Duna - I finally want to know if my lander will fail! :P

I finally sent Jeb on a fly-by of Eve! This is my first manned mission to another planet. Managed to grab 1600+ science from it too, because I brought a lot of duplicate science modules. Sadly, due to what I think is a glitch in Remote Tech 2, I was only able to get one crew report because I couldn't transmit them. So, I kept the one from "high above the sun".

1. Take crew report

2. EVA Kerbal

3. Take all data from crew capsule

4. Put all data back into crew capsule

5. Board capsule with Kerbal

Your crew report is now no longer stored as a crew report, but rather as experiment data instead (much like EVA reports are). Therefore you can now take another crew report without overwriting the old one. Which can be transformed into stored data in exactly the same manner.

Decided it was about time I got back to working with my rockets. Successfully launched a Thunderbolt Very Heavy 7; I'm thinking I'll be using it to go on some long term missions in the near future. Did some tweaking to the Auk VIII design, flew it up into orbit on IFR; will probably send up an operational flight or four to fill up the T-Bolt once I verify the usefulness of the current set of tweaks.

I sense the genesis of a meme here...

Haha. I'm ok with that.

Some good ones there already.

I noticed that my KSC Runway marker flag had somehow gotten knocked over. I don't know who did this, but it's pretty disrespectful.

I've had that happen. I planted one on the VAB roof, found it on the side building, fallen over.

Edited by Tw1

Didn't really do any actual flying/engineering. Mostly did some drawings of what my planned transport spaceplane and some napkin calculations on possible optimal flight paths and possible improvements on a long-range SSTO. Especially the latter is highly annoying. I know I got it into orbit at least once with 3.6KM/s, maybe even 3.7 left in the tank, but later attempts are more in the order of 3.45KM/s.

After a few Mün-landings and Minmus flybys, it was time to explore Minmus's surface.

The ship left Kerbin Orbit as one assembly, and was reconfigured into a more compact shape in Minmus Orbit.

5 landings and rendezvouz were completed before the crew returned home (saving the last easy biome for a ground-base).

There was even enough room in the return module for some surface souvenirs (top part with command module & 4 engines; the lander and science bay were left derelict in Minmus orbit).

Total: 2300 Science.

xF5nTZg.png

Edited by Speijker
Science!

Not so much what did I do today, more what have I done in the last week... :D

My first Jool transfer window opened so my unmanned mission to Jool and all its moons is finally underway. The Discovery JL-1 mothership with 6 probes - one to orbit each moon and another to land on Laythe - burned its nuclear engines for 15 minutes to get out of Kerbin SOI. They should enter Jool SOI in 130 days.

In the meantime I've been thinking about a manned mission to Duna so I designed a new lander. The Trident lander carries 1 Kerbal and is capable of landing on and returning from all planets and moons in the system except Eve, Kerbin, Tylo and Laythe. It can do 2x every experiment and the plan is to use it with a mothership that includes a science lab to reset the experiments.

All this mucking about with ships that dock has made me think about assembling a station in LKO. I designed a crew habitat module and a station core module that I thought I would be able to launch as one piece. Turns out clamp-o-trons can't handle the force of a Kerbin launch and despite several redesigns I'm going nowhere as is. So now I'm redesigning them as completely separate modules that I can launch individually. I will eventually add more modules and leave at least 2 docking ports free for shuttles, fuel tankers, etc.

Pics to come when I actually complete something rather than starting 3 things at once. :wink:

1. Take crew report

2. EVA Kerbal

3. Take all data from crew capsule

4. Put all data back into crew capsule

5. Board capsule with Kerbal

Your crew report is now no longer stored as a crew report, but rather as experiment data instead (much like EVA reports are). Therefore you can now take another crew report without overwriting the old one. Which can be transformed into stored data in exactly the same manner.

Ahh! I hadn't thought of that! I was doing that for other instruments, but I never thought of crew reports as something you could "grab" :) Ahh well.

Thanks for the advice!

Today in my career I needed to lift 130 tons to LKO with a low tech rocket. I only have up through Heavy Rocketry (Rockomax 32 and Skipper) to work with.

En4Q0xs.png

Made it to orbit on the test run. Under the fairing is the upper stage and the payload (a drive section to push a mission out to Jool, my first interplanetary window). It has 4600 dV, but only needed ~3600 to make it because of FAR. I overdid it on dV because I needed to keep adding boosters to the bottom stage to increase TWR.

Bartfal Kerman decided to fly his vintage KW-II fighter

Bartfal Kerman wanted to fly his vintage Kerbal War II Kerbal Fighter Plane, wich he recovered from Jeb's Junk yard, he only found the fuelsalage and the engine, but made the rest.

Bartfal with his fighter

NryilFi.png