What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Been trying, and failing to get my images onto imgur for the writeup. I'm pretty much at my wits end with the place, it's been acting like the servers are overloaded since just before christmas. Getting to the point where i can't reliably acess it nver mind upload anything. Ughhh.

32 minutes ago, Fearless Son said:

But can it capture one of the corvettes in its hanger?

LOL You're pretty funny...  It would have to depend on the size of the Corvette, this would be considered a starter class Star Destroyer like a Victory or something but it's still impressive... most impressive...

Image may contain: outdoor

No automatic alt text available.

I build all my craft to be full scale so they can fight each other.

35 minutes ago, Carl said:

Been trying, and failing to get my images onto imgur for the writeup. I'm pretty much at my wits end with the place, it's been acting like the servers are overloaded since just before christmas. Getting to the point where i can't reliably acess it nver mind upload anything. Ughhh.

I Use Facebook...

Jett

Just now, Jett_Quasar said:

I Use Facebook...

Nice idea but i'm pretty private about by FB, just about everything on it is friends only, i could create a second account i guess, but not sure that wouldn't be against FB terms of service.

1 hour ago, Carl said:

Nice idea but i'm pretty private about by FB, just about everything on it is friends only, i could create a second account i guess, but not sure that wouldn't be against FB terms of service.

I created a KSP Facebook account and I have gotten lots of followers on my Youtube channel because of it.  It's a good way to promote your stuff and there are several groups set up to do just that.

Jett

Edit: And speaking of promotion you should check out my latest career mode video... LOL!

Download the SIDEKICK craft HERE:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zuvezkq3xgoprjt/SideKick.craft?dl=0

Download the Stryker craft file HERE:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2zolgpwpssorfit/Stryker.craft?dl=0

Edited by Jett_Quasar

Truss D (After the abandonment of launching Trusses via shuttle due to the uncontrollabilty of releasing one from the cargo bay, this one was launched by a Kerbin 1-2 rocket. It successfully rendezvoused with KerbinLab 2 via second stage. As it was getting ready to decouple from the second stage and start docking procedure, the probe core and monopropellant were jettisoned instead, leaving the truss unusable.): Failure

7 new anomalies were found on Kerbin. Those included Sector S4NH, Dedrin's Perimeter, Gregmy's Tract, Area H2J-W, Raymy's Hope, Lanmore's Frontier, and Kirrim's Trek. After a mission by plane to Kirrim's Trek, it was found that nothing was there.

ARM-2 (A mission by plane to Kirrim's Trek. Jancy Kerman piloted the craft to the designated point just a few kilometers southwest from the KSC. AFter passing by 2 times, it was found that nothing was there. Jancy then landed back at the runway.): Partial success

C7 S11 (The first C7 mission to leave the Kerbin system.): Success

C7 S12 (After S11, a Jool transfer window was found to be open. S11 couldn't make it to Jool, but via the new SatLauncher 3, it was possible that this one could. It was launched but still came up just short.): Failure

Messenger 16 (The KSP's attempt to launch a mission to Jool. This one was launched by a Dres A booster. It contained a small third stage as well. Unexpectantly, the third stage could not boost it all the way to Jool. The probe had to use its onboard ion thruster to continue the transfer. Upon reaching the correct height, a transfer was still 8 billion meters off. Once it reaches solar periapsis on day 425, it will finish its transfer burn.): Unknown

Laythe 4 (The sixth over-all mission to KerbinLab 2. It docked successfully and the two Kerbalnauts from Laythe 3 transferred back to their ship and undocked. Podsel Kerman from Laythe 2 still remains onboard the station until day 134 of year 9. The current crew onboard the station is now 4. The crew of Laythe 4 will remain onboard the station until year 9 day 75.): Probable success

Anomaly Jebediah's Mark was found on the Mun by MapSat 2.

Next planned mission: Truss D retry (A mission to attempt to dock Truss D to KerbinLab 2 for the second time.)

MBR63Kl.png

C7 S11 launch on top of a C7 SatLauncher 2

XwHsSaM.png

Messenger 16

XAdy4DR.png

Laythe 4 (far right) docked to KerbinLab 2

1 hour ago, Servo said:

I made even more planes! I spent this morning finishing off my series of straight-winged jet fighters.

MdjnPV2.png

P-59, P-80, F-84, F-89, and F-94.

Plus, I dusted off my old F-15

025xG5G.png

Man, they look great! Wish I had a taste for asthetics like you. Great job on the Eagle, too. What's it's top speed? Mine only tops off at 126m/s. Its just too heavy and I can't seem to shed the weight.:huh:

11 minutes ago, AccidentsHappen said:

Man, they look great! Wish I had a taste for asthetics like you. Great job on the Eagle, too. What's it's top speed? Mine only tops off at 126m/s. Its just too heavy and I can't seem to shed the weight.:huh:

Thanks! She tops out at 400 around sea level, and I got her up to 800+ at 10km.

As for shedding weight, 90% of the time, you don't need every tank to be filled. Most of the craft I post nowadays have bare minimum fuel (<400 units LF). It also helps keep your CoM and CoL balanced and makes it a lot more maneuverable.

42 minutes ago, Servo said:

Thanks! She tops out at 400 around sea level, and I got her up to 800+ at 10km.

As for shedding weight, 90% of the time, you don't need every tank to be filled. Most of the craft I post nowadays have bare minimum fuel (<400 units LF). It also helps keep your CoM and CoL balanced and makes it a lot more maneuverable.

I don't fill every tank, but I think it's the way I've balanced it that makes it so slow.

Meanwhile, here's the Raptor that I finally took screenshots of. This is the modded version. The stock one doesn't look as good.

Spoiler

Screen_Shot_2017-01-16_at_9.44.21_pm.png

Screen_Shot_2017-01-16_at_9.48.15_pm.png

Screen_Shot_2017-01-16_at_9.48.47_pm.png

Screen_Shot_2017-01-16_at_9.49.15_pm.png

18 minutes ago, Corscaria said:

With the large scale self assembling coreless stanford torus ending in dismal and physics defying failure. KASA begins construction of of the new station Starcore One using the frozen plains of Minmus as an assembly yard.

[imgur]VnOQv[/imgur]

Imgur albums are broken as of now. Post a link to the imgur page instead.

Edited by Servo

21 hours ago, Frag2000 said:

Looks like really fun missions! What are you up to? Building a base or something!? I am realizing that we can have a lot of fun on Kerbin!

I remember seeing a plane related career missions pack. Maybe I should take a look!

The GAP contract pack.  I had great fun with this in 1.1.

17 hours ago, Jett_Quasar said:

It appears that the Kerbal Empire has started a new construction project...  Be afraid, VERY AFRAID!

Jett

If only there were some brave Krebel pilots willing to assault that shipyard before this terror is complete!

I had been working on this over the weekend but just got time for pics today.  It's the largest station I've ever built and utilizes Station Science.  It's called the GOSS- Gael Orbital Science Station.  It's designed to do all of the Station Science work it can and analyze surface samples from Iota and Ceti return trips.  The fuel and monopropellant onboard is solely for topping off return vehicles and orbital tugs, of which you may notice it has two currently stuck to the ends of the agroponics facilities.

ps14q9A.png

B2unRgR.png

35Zkeyw.png

ohsh9Zd.png

1 hour ago, Torquimedes said:

If only there were some brave Krebel pilots willing to assault that shipyard before this terror is complete!

You read my mind!

I've been spending hours "testing" the new Falcon by flying around shooting at this thing - loads of fun!

giphy.gif

Jett

Edited by Jett_Quasar

I past some time of the day playing Dangerous Waters with the new Reinforced Alert 1.41 mod (awesome), then got 20 minutes free remaining for KSP. The result is a small 5 seats SSTO called Pallas.

A4Vffkn.png

It's a 5 seats craft, the last Mk1 cabin being covered by the fuel tank. With 4 RAPIER it used to be way too much owerpowered, but this is all the fun.

tFgZqOo.png

After having reached 550 m/s below 2000 m I applied a positive climb at 20 degrees.

KhnvAgR.png

Ap placed at 100 km. The craft got an excellent response to any input at this time.

17rEHKA.png

XMQcXCA.png

Starting circularization. For controls reasons the engine 1 and 4 are a bit angled with the CoM, preventing the craft to flip once out of the atmosphere. And for better controls the number 2 and 3 are down.

nTvKttm.png

BkBxcTj.png

There we are! In orbit!

Well, the craft itself is only a funny creation and doesn't have any real function. But I will try during the next day to optimize it a bit make of it a performant SSTO transfert vehicle.

("Any similarity with the Convair B-58 Hustler was purely coincidental")

Edited by XB-70A

4 hours ago, Jett_Quasar said:

LOL You're pretty funny...  It would have to depend on the size of the Corvette, this would be considered a starter class Star Destroyer like a Victory or something but it's still impressive... most impressive...

1290844-1097290_i_see_what_you_did_there

Today I got a hankering to make a replica of a YF-23... so I made a replica of a YF-23:

bVQWNbw.jpg

Jeb is running through the pre-flight checklist.  

w3UsOWZ.jpg

I like the view from the front here.  It captures the shape of the intakes and the diagonal rear stabilizers.  

nyNuHRP.jpg

Though I am particularly proud of the view from the rear.  I clipped the engines into a pair of rear-facing ramp air intakes to get that iconic engine housing look.  They are hard to position just right so the intake does not cancel out their thrust.  

ogv7JBn.jpg

The view from above shows off the silhouette of its distinctive trapezoidal-shaped wings.  The clear separation between the cockpit and engine nacelles is most obvious here.  

Cnqen0M.jpg

From below we can see the gear housing, as well as the flat lifting body element that joins the two engine nacelles.  

Only two prototypes of this craft were ever produced.  It was contemporary with the early prototypes of the more commonly known F-22 and competed against it in early trials.  The F-22 design won out because though it had poorer stealth characteristics than the YF-23, the F-22 had the edge in agility.  

Edited by Fearless Son

1 hour ago, Jett_Quasar said:

You read my mind!

giphy.gif

Jett

Dang, that's cool. :cool:

I did some air-to-air refueling.

20170117160929_1.jpg

20170117160425_1.jpg

Bill got scared and jumped out the window, but went through the engine midair instead. I expected some mashed up Kerbal to come out the back, and that's exactly what I got. Spaghetti Bill flew(?) in a dead straight line into space, travelling... at 0 m/s. The Kraken had taken him away for good...

Some time ago I experimented with a flying wing design of aircraft I called the Boomawing.  I always felt though that the early design could be improved with an additional engine and more careful specialization of control surfaces and lo, it has!  I present, the Boomawing Mark 2:  

qG3sOLR.jpg

JHbdVlC.jpg

It controls much better than the original, and with no dedicated internal reaction wheels besides what is in the control units themselves.  The air brakes work for breaking, sure, but they are also used as primary control surfaces.  They work surprisingly well for this kind of design.  Wish I could adjust the throttle for each engine separately though, it would help with yawing while maintaining a stealth profile.  

13 hours ago, Tw1 said:

A good old Mun stranding- uh, I mean, landing.

8JmO0sx.png

They have definitely landed. 

I did this once in my sandbox save. I underestimated how much fuel I would need to decelarate, and I forgot to put parachutes on the capsule! I ended up EVAing Jeb before the pod crashed, and RCSing him to safety. I'm taking time off from that save for a while, and am playing career instead.

Edited by NISSKEPCSIM
I was landing on Dun a.

The last few days have been interesting for my 4x scale playthrough. Imgur appears to be more broken than usual right now so I can't upload many screenshots, but here are a couple of things I've been doing:

mLsiFHi.jpg

An early relay network consisting of four satellites in a 20000km orbit. Their orbital periods have been adjusted to be within one second of each other.

clWkViT.jpg

A cubesat becoming the first object to orbit the Mun. I quite like this little design.

Yesterday I also landed a probe on Minmus and returned part of it to Kerbin, though there are unfortunately no images of that mission.