What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

8 hours ago, kraden said:

Irish heritage. I did not use Google translate, but I am by no means fluent. Labhríonn tú gaeilge? (Grammar?)

Cool! I'm kinda the same, but I was born here, and my parents were too, so I'm just straight up Irish. :cool:

Despite that, though, I too am not fluent. But, to a certain extent, Labhrím mé Gaeilge. :D

5 hours ago, MR.Mac said:

After a bit of looking around and learning how to share craft files, here you go. (I hope the link works, lol :P).

This is actually my first time sharing one of my craft files as I have never done this before. Happy Mun landing! :)

Thanks a lot, it will be put to good use :)

The United Airforce of Kerbin is working on a new stealth craft that is, in the words of Wernher Von Kerman, "is fast and not slow", and "will blow your helmet off, particularly if you stand behind the engines". Recent footage from the camera installed in the coffee machine reveals that it is based off a plane drawn by on of the head engineers children. It was drawn from his comic which describes an alternate Kerbin-like world called Earth, where everyone likes to have the biggest guns, planes and rockets. That's all the info we have time for today, but be sure to tune in to our next broadcast for all the latest pictures of this craft!

So yeah. I made an F-22 Raptor and didn't get around to taking any pictures of it today. :rolleyes:

After nearly 4 years, DREAMS OF DUNA returned home from our first crewed landing on Duna. The reusable lander was left around Duna with repacked parachutes (and empty fuel tanks!) to be repurposed and reused in the future, and the crew and return stage now approach Kerbin's SOI. Our return burn and course corrections were very good. Looks like we already have a deep atmospheric Pe for re-entry. Unfortunately, such a steep entry runs the risk of burning up the ship or incapacitating the crew due to g-effects.

lJs3Q5D.png

A few meters/second burn to raise our target Pe to about 28km ... ah, much better. Piper Kerman and her crew appreciate not being squished to jelly or turned into a ball of explodey plasma.

4uRdArz.png

You know, sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. After a mission of nearly 4 years, and absolutely no effort at targeting a landing, our landing zone turns out to be the broad grasslands about 21 km west-northwest of KSC. Couldn't have pulled this off if I planned it.

lHgI3rL.png

After recovery, the crew all jump up to 3 stars - awesome. But WTH, man - no Reputation gains from the safe return of our entire crew from our first-ever landing on Duna?!?! Hmm ...

8HQ9p3l.png

In other news, our first crewed survey mission to Jool is arriving in-system. What did I say about it being better to be lucky than good? Thanks to a convenient alignment of the moons, I was able to make a 33.5 m/s course change a couple weeks before our Jool periapsis to swing around Laythe; that results in an elliptical Jool orbit without any further braking burns required.

KVBkcqP.png

Once we enter Laythe's SOI, we'll drop a survey probe and a probe lander. The lander is a vacuum design, so we can't land on Laythe with it, but we can make a subsequent burn after the Laythe encounter resulting in a second Laythe encounter down the line, and then an encounter with Vall. Don't know if my little probe will have enough dV to land but we'll give it a shot. This will be the subject of a subsequent post.

Edited by LameLefty

Hello folks!  I've been away for a while.  Been back a little while, but haven't posted much here as I've mostly been dealing with the typical early missions in my new 1.2.2 career, my first  serious attempt to conquer space since 1.1.2 dropped!

It's a mostly stock game garnished with informational mods (KER, TWP, etc) and...  USI life support.  Permadeath enabled, all consequences for running out of supplies, EC are KIA.  I have hab consequences set to 'grouchy' for non vets.  I've had a few deaths...  all so far due to life support, though the first two were because I took rescue contracts which spawned kerbals in mod parts that had no doors.  (Until a kind soul pointed me to the mod that fixes that.)  Another died because she was depending on supplies in the lander she was going to take to the mun...  but Bob ate them all before she got there.  (No it wasn't Val.  So far all my orange suits are alive.)

Anyway, I finally have something I tight was worth showing. :)

9lgm9qw.jpg

Meet OrbiLab.  My modular LKO testbed for learning the ins and outs of life support over duration, and perform studies on the effects of kerbals on space.  Directly beneath the solar arrays, the part with a monoprop tank on one side and a supplies tank on the other, is the supply module.   It's core is comprised of recyclers for up to six kerbals.  A remote refuling probe is presently docked opposite the solar gigantors.  On the nearer side, are two identical hab modules.  Oh, and docked to that monoprop tank i mentioned earlier is my station tug - that block of RCS, and SAS with a probe core.  That handles stationkeeping, module attachment/rearrangement, and has been an awesome little help.

Thoughts have turned back to space. Specifically Duna. After studying the take from the scanner the team realised that putting a narrow band scanner on the same craft might be economical but a polar orbit makes checking out sites on the equator rather long winded....

However planning is proceeding with the initial exploration rover being tested on the simulator.

screenshot122_zpsjwta25aq.png

The go module is just a placeholder ATM and the relay on the right is meant to allow control down to the (simulated) surface and periods of control after that (hence the high (simulated) orbit).

However no one checked on their (simulated)positions respective to Kerbin on initiating the (simulated) landing causing a disconcerting loss of authority over the lander. Luckily the signal was regained high enough to re-assert Kerbins wishes and the (simulated) landing went well. Lesson learnt.

On the other side of KSC test runs of the currently unnamed Duna rover are progressing. Bearing in mind that the control issues might mean a crewed mission after all the test team practiced rejigging with wider running gear.

screenshot116_zpswvpzrmle.png

With some issues.

screenshot117_zpscautjrna.png

Satine's attempt to recover the situation led to an impromptu double salko and backflip. However the rover was not even scratched and Val was able to limp back on three wheels.

screenshot118_zpswkojngkf.png

I get the feeling this one may end up being called Gyro.....

screenshot119_zpsghj8szp2.png

Although performing reasonably well in narrow configuration plans are in hand to bolt on a Gryfon style chassis and send a crew. Which probably explains why the (simulated) lander already had a command capsule.

Edited by dangerhamster

The admin types at KSC are in a bit of a quandry with the space programme at the moment.  They have invested heavily in a series of missions and contracts centered aroudn Duna and its moon, Ike.  In fact, no less than 10 missions are in the pipeline waiting to be executed.  This means that, even though in theory they can accept as many missions as they want, it turns out that the  third party companies that offer the contracts seem to be wary of offering any more at the moment. Perhaps they are lacking confidence that KSC can execute any new missions while there are so many others in waiting.  The big problem this causes is, just like everything else in life, a lack of funds.  There is enough scientific data coming in from Minmus Stayshun and from Deep Spayce Stayshun that the scientists are insisting their laboratories and offices get expanded so they can discover and invent even cooler stuff.  At the moment this is impossible though, there are simply not enough funds to make that happen; over two million funds will need to be raised in order to research the next generation materials and components.  So the quandry at the moment is, do the admin types continue carrying out little missions one at a time and very slowly build up those funds, or do they wait an entire year for the transfer window to Duna to open up and then execute those 10 missions?  The staff, let alone the public, are getting bored with all the mundane plant flag and return science missions from close to home, they want fun and exotic stuff to happen!

While the department heads ponder those big questions regarding life, the universe and everything over some stale donuts, a couple new missions did get underway.  The first one was exciting in that the engineers and designers were given the leeway to build something sleek, and for the first time, nuclear powered.  This was to fulfill a contract to place a 5 kerbal station in solar orbit.  That's it, no other requirements.  And even though the programme could use an injection of cash, in the spirit of keeping the public's attention engaged, there was no limit to the expense of the mission, as long as it didn't go over budget of course.  Call it a PR mission, I guess.  The result of the designs is a ship that should be able to reach far into the inner or outer reaches of the solar system, at least one way!  Although it does have space for five souls, the ship will mostly serve as a funky and stylish relay station.  To this end, the mission was, so far to this point, executed flawlessly.  Liftoff was smooth, the booster stages separating without incident, a 120km orbit circularized without problems, a course plotted that will place the ship into an orbit between Moho and Eve, and the transfer burn finalized with plenty of fuel left in the transfer stage - enough that the KSC staff think it might be able to return on its own if needed.

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-13%20at%204.44.5

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-13%20at%204.46.2

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-13%20at%204.47.1

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-13%20at%204.48.3

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-13%20at%204.58.4

Another mission that was taken on was one of the mundane 'plant a flag on Minmus' contracts that the public is quickly getting bored of.  This particular mission was of note though, the opportunity was taken to ship out a new young and impressionable scientist to Minmus Staysun - a replacement is needed to fill the spot left by a previous disaster.  A lander can tethered to some fuel-filled donuts was hurled into Kerbin orbit, then flung towards the mint moon where it docked safely with the station and will now serve as a lifeboat in case of emergency.

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-13%20at%205.54.3

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-13%20at%206.02.1

A few days later it was time for a manoevre to be executed by a satellite mission that is about 200 days along in its mission to get into a specific solar orbit.  It was a burn to get about 11 degrees of inclination as stated by the parameters of the contract.  The burn went nicely, the transfer stage still has quite a bit of fuel left in it.  Now that the burn was executed it has another 200 days to reach periapsis (which is about as far out as Duna), where it will raise its apoapsis to about as far out as Eeloo.  Why that particular company needs a satellite in that kind of orbit escapes us, but they're paying handsomely for it so we won't question their sanity.  Out loud at least.

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-13%20at%206.41.2

Edited by justidutch

3 hours ago, dangerhamster said:

screenshot116_zpswvpzrmle.png

If only you had some concrete blocks. The early administration building is a trailer home. You're rover on blocks would look great on the front lawn

17 hours ago, The Raging Sandwich said:

OMOYueb.png

Always love your ship designs! which service bay is that? is that a downscaled Space Y 3.75 bay?

Just completed a mission to the Mun. I forgot to take pictures (again!), but will upload some of the next mission in a couple of days. I had only just unlocked fuel lines, so decided to try asparagus staging. I made it to the Mun and back with a Science Jr, two cans of mystery goo, three barometers and a thermometer, and still had fuel to decelerate during re-entry! I got about 1000-2000 science out of the whole endeavour, and now mission control is flooded with contracts to basically repeat my first mission, collecting science from the Mun, planting a flag on the Mun, etc, with the addition of taking two tourists to a low Mun orbit!

15 minutes ago, Triop said:

I see you found my little droid, his name is IOU-1.

:wink:

This is not the droid you're looking for!  LOL!

Jett

Edit:  Nice catch , I see you've watched my Droid Army video... my next video will explain what he's doing out in the desert.

Edited by Jett_Quasar

I started a Jool V and only realized the amazing amount of flaws in my design after I had touched down on Poll... I sent Jeb home straight after and basically wasted 9 years of his life without having him do anything really noteworthy. But hey at least he visited Poll and made it home again... 

6 hours ago, Shadowmage said:

After nearly eight months of physics and coding work, I (finally) managed to bring back a mod that had been missing for far too long:

example--half-track.png?raw=true

(This is more 'What did you do -for- KSP' rather than 'What you did -in- KSP'.... but whatever...)

Yes! Thank you so much! I've been missing KF from my mod list for a while now, and it's going to be so nice have some different wheels for once!

Thank you!:D

Well, not exactly in KSP, but for KSP. Hopefully in the future I can get it to a release, but for now it's just a project with no priority:
Past week I started to make the whole real ISS for KSP, with now the Zayra module finished (without solar panels, docking ports and RCS), only thing left for this one is to add the textures and make the config file:

Spoiler

The real one to compare:
800px-Zarya_from_STS-88.jpg

repBoWL.png

BzjWPjy.png

I made a big rocket and put 5 Kerbals onto it! 

LOQoETM.jpg

They went to Eeloo...  

n9jSg1b.png

And then the same 5 went to Moho... 

ubAcJZt.png

No ISRU, all stock. 

(They made it back to Kerbin safely too...)

(I may write a longer mission report at some point... not sure). 

Edited by Magzimum