What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I started a series recording my trip around Kerbin using only a rover, no rockets, no planes, no boats, no mods, just stock because hardcore.

ONWARDS!

Original thread if you want to follow up: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/66887-I-want-to-circumnavigate-Kerbin-without-flying

Edited by Wooks

After having many troubles with the slight use of hyperedit to nudge comms satellites into perfect orbits (aka: two corrupted saves), I took to doing it the old fashioned way.

I took 2 up at a time in a relatively simple rocket, everything was going great!

I got the first 2 in almost perfect sync with each other (I planned on doing a lot of finalizing later), and then I sent Jeb home.

screenshot25_zpsf68827c7.png

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh... where are the parachutes? D'OH! :huh:

Jeb isn't really sure how he managed this one.

Landing in the dark, with no parachutes, over land, in a capsule with no IVA altimeter, and no way to see said rapidly approaching ground... talk about a worst-case scenario (I guess it could have been worse, I could have had no fuel!)

screenshot30_zps7cd2070a.png

Jeb confirms that the snacks have indeed survived!

screenshot29_zps4cfef9a5.png

I added 2 radial chutes, and got the other 2 comms sats up in the air, and it all came together nicely.

Not quite as clean as the hyperedit ones, but these ones have a 0% chance of corrupting my save file... again.

screenshot35_zps1f49ab69.png

Now I just need to get the larger SAT relay up in a kerbostationary orbit on the opposite side of the globe as KSC.

Edited by User Unrelated

I decided to start a career mode series. My first goal is to go to Mun by episode 5 at the latest. So far the furthest I have gone in this series is nearly 225km up without an orbit, yeah I kind of over did the lunch a bi on that mission LOL. Here is the first of the episodes, second one will be up tomorrow and hopefully I can get more done tomorrow.

Any tips for gathering science on these mission would be great.

Finally! After weeks of trying, I launched my first successful SSTO[1] spaceplane into orbit!

Now to see if I can get it to land, that'll be great . . :)

[1] Well, mostly SSTO. Expendable underwing boosters and side-mounted drop tanks. :)

Today I finished science-ing the last 3 biomes on Mun. Got all my biome landing coordinates figured out for Minmus (except Slopes, dunno if that'll happen), scienced Minmus Poles, installed Kethane, tested Kethane mining on Kerbin, learned that fuel tanks must be connected to converter directly or by fuel line or it doesn't work, also re-learned why we build rockets symmetrically, built and launched a kethane scanner satellite, and kethane scanned 12 degrees of Kerbin (definition of boring).

EDIT: I had a dream, or rather a nightmare, last night that the Kethane scan hexagons fade out after a day or so and have to be re-scanned.

EDIT2: Before anyone catches it, I now realize that I should scan celestial bodies in a polar orbit rather than starting at equator and changing inclination. I am not Scott Manley.

Edited by bowfonz

Well yestarday. I finally dumped all my science points I gained from the Mün and Minmus. This was the resualt: (Edit: I did send some crew reports and EVA reports back to Kerbin via transmite and a few samples before hand so I could unlock docking. So this is not the grand total if I stripped mined all of it with out sending. Just a good portion.)

0A5531887CDA5EAC9C003AE80A2CF1B86060D0CB

And then spent the points to find I had this much left after Maxing out the tree:

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/3300312291131196465/268045C77EE199F55141A0DBD05F96BC54A1D1CD/

I still missed a few points on the Mün and did not get all of the EVA sub-orbital in space above X on Kerbin. So I figure I'm only missing under 100 points at best. Not it is time to play around in my new carreer sand box and explore all the other planets and moons after driving and or flying around Kerbin to find all the eggs. =^.^=

Edited by Aragosnat

The kerbal scientists reaction in the first picture is one of the funniest faces. I mean, just look at him, he's like, oh my Kod, a lander! :sticktongue:

Edited by Mr.Rocket

In today news: I learned how to fly a rover.

I needed a fast way to deliver a rover anywhere on the surface of Kerbin to help my personal challenge: Circumnavigate Kerbin by rover only, delivering a fresh one every time the current rover crashes, so I concocted this flying slab made entirely of bold engineering and zero interest in any kind of aerodinamic knowledge.

screenshot40.png

It can carry as many passengers as needed, just slap some John Stapp chairs anywhere on the deck and you are golden.

screenshot44.png

Ain´t that a cute little thing? Once landed the front landing gear retracts, the rover detachs and simply rolls down.

screenshot38.png

And it can crash too! It has everything!

screenshot45.png

All the details of why I need this ship can be found in this thread.

Edited by Wooks

Today I installed the Kethane Pack, which transformed the game from launching rockets into a logistics simulator. I used to need four disposable tankers to refuel my main interplanetary ship in the orbit of Minmus. It was a bit tedious, as each tanker took more than an hour of real time from launch to refueling to getting rid of orbital debris.

Now I need only two tankers: one for refueling interplanetary ships at Minmus, and another to serve my spaceplane refueling base at LKO. My refueling station at Minmus (basically a parking lot for tankers with crew quarters as decorative elements) was quickly transformed into a Kethane refinery, and the constant tanker launches were replaced by flying the kethane mining ship between the refinery and Minmus, and flying the tanker between the refinery and the interplanetary ship.

Finding a good enough design for the mining ship took some time, as I had no idea of what should work. This is what I eventually came up with:

kethane_drill.jpg

There is enough torque to land on basically any slope on Minmus, the solar panels provide enough power for two heavy drills, and the ship can bring back 16k units of kethane to the refinery. Efficiency could be a bit better, though, as refueling the mining ship usually takes 15% to 20% of the kethane.

Put my first useful spaceplane into orbit. This little craft will put three kerbals into a 95x95 km orbit with plenty of monopropellant for on orbit maneuvering and enough fuel/oxidiser for de-orbit, re-entry and a powered landing.

On orbit!

nKiGXOD.png

And safely home again.

QQV0nRC.png

The kerbal scientists reaction in the first picture is one of the funniest faces. I mean, just look at him, he's like, oh my Kod, a lander! :sticktongue:

I hoped somebody would notice that. I actually moved it over right in front of him and waited for that animation to get the shot. :)

Well, I decided to go back through my early spaceplane designs and fix the ones that weren't working successfully. The Auk I and Auk IV are now flying beautifully, so I thought I'd take a crack at fixing the Auk II. I think I need to figure out a more reliable way of setting up my air intakes when I go air-hogging. Recalculating the lift I need probably wouldn't hurt either. First attempt, I left the position of the forward wings alone - she started going into tail spins around 9,000. Recovered once, second time I popped the hatch. Next attempt, I moved the forward wings back, hoping to move the CoL further back from the CoM. Right into the drink.

Auks III and V are still awaiting fixes. Not sure they can be fixed, to be honest...

Today I did another episode of my career mode series, the series thread is here http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/67264-My-first-videos-of-my-attempt-at-Career-Mode. I am still with in my goal of landing on Mun in 5 episodes before I start ramping up my exploration with probes and such. Episode 4 will be live tomorrow at noon. Why noon? Because it was the most random time I could think of LOL.