What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

You can refuel a ship by spawning a refueler, but can you attach a payload to an SSTO and send it into space? This is what Jeb asked himself the other day and put hands to work.

The vehicle has crane that works thanks to infernal robotics and KAS mods. The crane plataform is placed on top of a washer, and has a powered hinge with a telescopic arm. At the top of the arm a winch is located with an electromagnet to secure the payload. Inside the cargo bay there's another winch used to secure the payload, instead of using a docking port, as the latter needs proper orientation, whereas using the winch the payload can be secured using EVA.

The SSTO used for the test also has a winch in the carg bay to secure/release the payload.

Some pics:

The crane and a refueler, waiting for a mission.

qFnDVVg.jpg

The crane in action, grabbing a satellite that was spawned in the launch pad.

vPlEBat.jpg

The payload is secured in the SSTO cago bay.

5ebSRbU.jpg

Payload being released in LKO

kCy67lz.jpg

Did some science on mun orbit in real sized solar system. To maximize scientific gain i had to return the experiments back to kerbin. There was a catch though as i forgot to put decoupler between my booster and the heatshield. Luckily i had noticed that during most of my reentries when i detach the heatshield it never falls of until i deploy the parachutes. So when it came to the 10 km/s reentry i detached the heatshield and it worked the airstream pressed the heatshield against my probe and it reentered without a scratch. Incredibly exciting stuff watching the speed slowly decreasing while praying that hours spent on designing the mission will not be wasted because of this "minor" oversight.

I got my Moho All-In-One Kethane refinery, lifter, and orbiter (along with a scanner satellite to find the deposits and 6 little landers to land in the kethane fields and find flat areas for the main base to land on) to its destination with *50* delta-V left in the tank. Its destination was not (currently) Moho, however. It was Minmus where I am refueling it for the next leg of the journey.

Still, 50 dV is a pretty tight margin :)

Started my SSLO Rapier idea...thingy. I am not sure what I am doing with it other than trying to get it Mun and back right now. I have to refuel it once in orbit so I still have a ways to go, I need to find the best flight path for it. I am going to try a redesign tonight before I go to sleep I think, I may move the engines more outward and use the bigger intakes as well.

38dk.png

Small update: I did my redesign, but the wings I used as control surfaces did something weird once I hit the water. They bounced and kept bouncing .....skyward. They didn't go in any other direction just straight up, but they looked like they were jumping up and down as they went up. This might be the weirdest thing I have seen in KSP in awhile.

al7m.png

Edited by Liowen

Ah, the infiniglide glitch strikes again! :sticktongue:

I made a solar-electric rover capable of being run at full power through the night with power to spare. Thanks to Nertea for the capacitors from the Near Future Propulsion Pack that make up about 60% of my power reserves.

EDIT: Sun just cracked the horizon. 5 minutes until that rover can start to take on energy, rather than using it. :D

Edited by MaverickSawyer

Built a heavy rover as I always wanted to do something (maybe probably) useful with the really big wheels.

It is more or less rollover-safe, at least the front and rear strut bumpers can take the force from breaking from max-speed (10 m/s or something) without the rover flipping over.

It also had all kinds of science stuff on board and some kethane equipment to refill that tank.

A testflight above the runway:

qQmkaKu.jpg

Meanwhile - after like 10 fails of classic "you dont go to space today" - rocket xplosion goodness, I got it into orbit and pushed it to the Mun, where it landed safely.

It turned out that it can't climb steep crater slopes on its own, but in general the plan worked and Jeb is happily driving his tank around.

Installed the Texture Reduction mod. Trying to figure out if all the mods are happy together now or not; doesn't look like it.

Flew an Auk I and an Auk IVa to orbit. Auk I was unmanned, Auk IV had a three kerbal crew. Need to land them now.

3d 10h to transfer window for Duna

Duna lander is in orbit, survey probe as good as launched and the transfer stage is complete - yet my boys seem to be unable to come up with a launcher capable of hauling it up into space - even with empty tanks ...

But maybe I should not call it a transfer stage, its more a complete science ship with lab, crew quarters, big tank, four engines, main docking port for the lander and additional ports for small probes and satellites ...

Another problem: In my universe the only thing that is able to power a nuclear engine is Kethane - the department charged with establishing a mining operation on Mun has failed to do so and now there is possibly not enough time left - and there is no deposit near KSC ...

I am quite good at making my in-game life kerb really hard!

I started messing around with remote-tech, and ended up caving, and using hyperedit to make the orbits of my comms sats real nice and neat... and corrupted my entire game for no good reason.

Welp, time to stop using hyperedit!

I did get real good at flying rockets with Feramm aerospace (spelling?) though.

I'm really liking my new bunch of mods for this school year.

My first Duna landing went horribly wrong today, and now Cpt Shepvis Kerman is marooned on Duna. With a toppled-over LEM and no engines, he still fulfilled his destiny of sending a bunch of data back to Kerbal Space Command.

Now it's the long wait for old Shep. No rescue mission planned.

marooned-howard-pyle.jpg

Well, Today I started my new adventure, after beating the moons of kerbin + Eve, so now the most basic thing for interplanetary space, Duna.

In the first window I launched two vehicles to just test some aerobraking altitudes and finding some spots for my ground base, then I started the construction of the first manned mission, in the next window for duna I'll launch a smaller manned station and some rovers to explore the site for the base.

The First segment of the Station

2ljopyd.png

And Jeb doing som reparations and services before the first crew will come up i just a couple of days in the first hitchhiker module.

2a81cfd.png

Stay Tuned, update later this weekend

I launched a crew shuttle to retrieve the crew and science results from my latest interplanetary mission.

C64B45BFED7AFBD64800C3CF7D4175EBFFEA14FA

And, for the first time ever, I actually managed to land on the Space Center runway!

93C0955F239A3797CE134EE48A30D810CB52FC2B

I've only been getting into using shuttles very recently, mostly just for large crew transfers

Edited by jfull

Launched and docked my Pheonix Ship

2D568EFABA8EFA1546DD5EFE59D2795C1A9196D6

Docked my shuttle for a installation mission to my LKO Fuel Station (see the smaller variant which acts as an escape pod)

7ED9CCEF0EC0F6421BB4BA67934574639C008D91

D7079C5AF0F41B8BCBAC4D90A59C64871B7BBC08

And my RoverMax vehicle. Now i just need some ideas on how to launch it without some massive cage or something around it.

F4BE7C8E7E9582557F5C0F297CB14E125FF7BF47

2D80B002EFA5BD091590C07EFD61673BB6F07366

Edited by Seshins

Created the Star Cruiser for deep space exploration. (KSP Interstellar mod plus a few more) A basic nuclear power ship designed for multiple purposes. 1st one going to orbit the Sun. 2nd one will be planned for science collection Jool system. This creation comes with a new start in career mode. Just got to the the technology that allows the ship to be built. Still have a lot of science left on the Mun.

O6amLY7.png