What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

1. Any similarity between that image and anything else was completely unintentional. But your comment has made me see something in it now, what you see may be different.

2. I may have unintentionally broken a couple of TOS's.

My overbuilt Laythe mission also has the driver section docked to the previous driver section in another orbit with just over two orange tanks full of fuel left. We could very well wind up touring the station around to a couple of other planets.

I did not mean like that, I just connected your mention of NSFW with the fact I think those planes on the side look cool.

Wait, two whole tanks left? You never thought at any point "meh, I'm good"?

I wish I thought the way you think.

I always have to put docking ports on my stuff because I know I'll run out of fuel.

Installed the Docking Port Alignment Indicator and I finally learned how to dock. So I build a space station and a mission to Duna attached to the space station.

2FxLe0F.jpg

Time to go!

06YJxlM.jpg

Buuuuuurn!

gUGLFXr.jpg

And landed:

1L8LNpZ.jpg

First time my Kerbals set foot on another planet. I'm happy. Next time I'll try aerobreaking and sending a rover as well.

Duna Lander is in LKO - still missing a ship to get there though. (Waiting for large docking ports.)

Kethane site detected on Mun and marked for mining - not all necessary equipment available yet though. (Waiting for Kethane powe generator.)

Launching probes to high and low Kerbol orbit - the latter needing a bit more planning.

Built a mapping and a landing probe for preliminary readings at Duna - a few more days till a window opens. (Using a dual delivery method by glueing them to the quad-stack-part between to columns of fuel tanks. Luckily they weigh almost the same by pure luck!)

Launched missions to Jool, Duna, and Eeloo. All manned, and all carrying a science lab.

Eeloo mission accidentally Mun'd during departure, passing within 30 km of the Munar surface. Turned into a fantastic science bonus. A mid-course correction (MCC) some 120+ days down the line will take care of the slight change in course imparted by it's brief, 20 minute flyby.

First time my Kerbals set foot on another planet. I'm happy. Next time I'll try aerobreaking and sending a rover as well.

Well done! And welcome to the kerbal forums!

I also assembled a Duna mission. Over a few days.

First, the core hab/science module. Should be reusable, has 1008m/s of delta v of its own. Fun to fly.

HbrLXD2.png

Next, Dorithy* the interplanetary drive. Big and heavy

*Totally how kerbals spell it.

hJONm0d.png

Docked it up, to be strengthened with KAS struts.

AE2dKaO.png

Then, Two "EDpod" (Explore-O-Pod Duna) landers, called "Murray" and "Jeff" were added on.

nqEkeZw.png

xe1eRZL.png

After that, "Fuel Stick" visited, topping up the fuel, oxidiser, and monopropellant.

31EFq33.png

Then, finally, Sh'tuule delivered the rest of the crew.

Intended to try docking, but the remaining docking port wasn't in a good spot.

Instead, held rendezvous for several orbits.

ZmL1jEv.png

Moved some extra equipment aboard, then the Sh'tuule went home.

"Big Red Car" is ready to begin perikerb kicks, then of to Duna!

Edited by Tw1

Had an Eve window open up, so I sent a probe out that way.

And now I'm in the process of designing a manned interplanetary mission. One of those huge grand-tour type ships with landers and rovers and etc. Just have to start my back-of-envelope sketches and rough DV calculations. This is gonna take some homework to get right. :)

More like "Why ..." Real answer, practice and patience. And a ridiculous amount of RCS thrusters.

Hah. And here I am, failing to even establish a stable orbit. I used to be able to easily do it in 0.18.x. Then I stopped playing due to health issues until now, am completely absorbed by the amount of new features, started with the beautifully designed career mode and am now having major problems even getting to a stable orbit. No matter what I do or how I do it, I always end up with barelly enough fuel to circulize my orbit, let alone deorbiting. No way I'll come anywhere near Mun and back anytime soon.

Learning curve, here we go again. :cheesy:

I launched a science gathering mission to the mun, hopping around in craters and the poles gathering science. The lander had one tiny engine (I forget it's name) and 4 nuclear engines and all was going great until the nucs ran out of fuel. There wasn't enough in the tiny engines fuel tank to split the difference and the little engine wasn't powerful enough to get me home, so I had to redesign my rocket to inclue an extra crew cabin (I think I used the landercan) and went to rescue the 3 poor Kerbals. during re-entry, the rescuer (Ribfry Kerman) accidentally openned the hatch to his compartment and jumped out to his death.... (I accidentally hit EVA instead of IVA) so only the 3 made it home.

This is the rocket that needed saving:

XJAF3aal.png

Decided it was time to get back to rocketry. Built a new version of the Storax Anacostia lifter, swapping out the four -909 quad on the transfer stage with a single LV-T30 (based on maths that said it would yield greater delta-V, which I was not able to confirm) and the ungainly original booster with a Zenith. Not enough struts between booster and payload; rocket came apart shortly before the third staging event.

Decided to switch over to my 0.23 career save. Did a Munar flyby for science, got Tier 3 completely opened at this point.

1) I registered on this forum :) (I am sorry for my English in advance, I am not a native speaker)

2) I found my first bug in KSP on my own:

screenaua.png

At least I hope its a bug. Another option is that my landers are cursed with the soul of some dead kerbonaut, who still wants to do science...

I know its probably an already known issue, but I dont read forums and this made me happy. Also the remote controled test of my Kerpolo 2 ship with lander proved it was capable of reaching Minmus without any changes and a manned (or kerbed?) mission is on its way.

3) And finally I launched my first probe (counting even the sandbox) to Moho. On the image you can see it soaring to the stars on top of my standardized "Energia III" launcher vehicle:

screenqlq.png

Went to Jool for first time. Took an absurd amount of fuel to make sure I got enough to do a proper visit. It was my first modular approach also, where 5 equal rockets were sent and docked to for the engine/fuel part. Also there's a munar lander, an SSTO (my first also), and an emergency refueler lander just in case. Took me a couple of days to make everything and I'm happy it went quite good. I did the ejection burn by hand, only using VOID to get the correct phase angle and ejection angle, and used less than 3km/s to get from kerbin LO to lythe LO.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I sent an airship to Eve to act as a runabout for the kerbals living out there. Sadly, on arrival, it was discovered that the earlier autonomous science vehicle had been destroyed by Eve's harsh atmosphere (okay, the kraken ate it).

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Today I got 3,000 science from a single mission to Minmus with one guy, a thermometer, gravioli detector and seismic detector. I didn't even get all the biomes. I think I hit 6 of them and got a crew report, eva report above, eva report on the surface, surface sample, and the 3 instruments in each place. And a couple flying overhead.

I also discovered a bug that I'm off to report now. And by now I mean when I am done compressing my video and I can run a test in an unmodded game.

I discovered that 150MPa is enough Q when using FAR to destroy your massive Laythe Ship.

I was testing what height to aerobrake at and got a little too ambitious with wanting to aerobrake straight on Laythe after the transfer

I guess when you're blazing in at mach 23 or so, bad things happen.

Today Jeb tested a new form of personal transport, the Grasshopper!

1024x576.resizedimage

Flying the Grasshopper is tricky, it wants to pitch forward constantly, and Jeb has to concentrate.

1024x576.resizedimage

The range of the Grasshopper is poor and Jeb landed in sight of the KSC. Footage of the landing was destroyed but after a few weeks in the hospital he'll be ready to try again. One final image of the prototype survived.

1024x576.resizedimage

I did not mean like that, I just connected your mention of NSFW with the fact I think those planes on the side look cool.

Wait, two whole tanks left? You never thought at any point "meh, I'm good"?

I wish I thought the way you think.

I always have to put docking ports on my stuff because I know I'll run out of fuel.

As for why there's so much fuel left over, it's kind of told in the extreme docking pic. I was conservative on the launcher for the drive section up front, so used a decent amount of it's fuel to orbit. Then since the next section which will house all the extra fuel for the spaceplanes didn't have any rockets so I used a very heavy lifter which still had like 4 tanks left when done which is in the 3 stacks at the end. So then although going conservative with the final section, I wound up with a whole lot of fuel in the lifter. So I thought I can't let all this fuel go to waste and the only way to dock it would be with the medium clampotrons on the 4 guys return vessel, which was extra tricky because the nukes go past the docking port. I wound up with a ridiculous amount of fuel.

The plan was to not have all that fuel from the boosters. The whole thing got to Jool with only that booster fuel, and then got to Laythe, at which point Jenzer (I) was too scared to aerobrake and we went ahead and used the rest of the booster's fuel and a lot of the driver's fuel to orbit.

Anyway, that's why the naysayers were doubting that this was in the spirit of a "minimalist" space program.