What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Nice work! :)

Thanks! I was so scared I was going to be stuck... The science on that lander was the only reason I even went there. I wanted to unlock whatever new tech I could before building a proper Jool ship.

Also a mission update: I ditched the lander in Dres orbit and made it home with a little fuel left by aerobraking at Kerbin :)

Created an RLP - that is a "Remote Landing Probe". Using the Beastly Science sample grabber for the first time and MechJeb. All other parts are stock. Plan to test it out on Minmus. The concept is to separate from tanks, land, pick up science + soil sample, return to tanks and then return to Kerbin.

This will be my first probe designed to return to Kerbin with all the science collection. The prob will have 4 sample possibilities in most areas. 8 with gravity detection.

UNYuVeQ.png

One test prob and two other probes are in Kerbin orbit ready for the journey.

p7mMzjk.png

Launched my Minmus science vessel and visited 2 biomes. Then rendezvoused with my Sciencelab in orbit where Jeb did an EVA to grab all the science. Then repeated that to grab even more science ! Jeb didn't knock off a solar panel this time, I managed to remember to pull them in before he goes out :).

PwodEsS.jpg

U0RqVIU.jpg

Edited by Zimmy99

Finished off my mission to the Vallhenge-thing today. The transfer tug and crew received the special orbital "dry dock" treatment after one hell of an aerocapture (I'm sure that was quite a spectacle from Kerbin's surface!). Tomorrow I'll bring the crew back to Kerbin after three long years in space.

Oh yeah, the tug and lander were originally intended for a Moho mission but I forgot to rename them. The tug and a new lander will eventually find their way to Moho, being the first transfer vehicle I reuse.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by regex

I have been working on a rocket that can launch get into an orbit and go to Mun, or Minmus, and return. I know what you are thinking though "Well that is easy!", and to this I counter with "in a single stage". Now I am not sure if this has been done before, however I was pondering the idea for a few nights and have yet to get one that will get to where I need to be in orbit let alone to Mun or Minmus. SO far I have figured out how to over come the parachute launch problem, I assign an action group to activate the engines making them remain in the same stage as the chutes. Now I could do this with all the stages, I think, but I do not want to drop off parts I want it to be one ship there and back again. Maybe more work on this idea is in order to get the match up I need to do what I want to do, and I have no pictures currently as I am doing so many tests of things right now I forgot...but soon.

I facepalmed several times while realizing (during preparation for sending out a Duna base) that the skycrane I want to use isn't compatible with the rear docking port on the Trident. D'oh. The skycrane and most modules are based on a 2/4 engine design while the Trident has 3 sets of 2 engines. And I can't redesign the skycrane to fit or I'll also have to redesign the solar array, tractor rover, and living quarters so they can be dropped on the surface.

I'm going with this: put those incompatible pieces forward of the engines and hope it plays nice with the rest and doesn't unbalance the ship too much. I've only got two pieces up so far out of 5.

Because of this I'm designing a new ship earlier than I wanted... But I wasn't too fond of the Trident's aesthetics anyway. It was built to be either a heavy hauler to Duna or a Jool system science ship, and it's making the Duna part more difficult that it has to be.

After a long and arduous tedious drive, with a lot of doubling-back and crawling up slopes at an angle, one of my probe rovers finally reached a certain Duna anomaly. Which meant, of course, that my one guy in orbit had to climb into one of the one-kerb landers and go see it for himself.

He managed to land within 1.5 km, a nice hike; the jetpack cut some distance off that (he rationed the fuel, half each way), but still a bit of a walk. (And once he got there, he still couldn't touch or take any samples of the thing; it was protected by some kind of invisible force field.)

So he planted a flag, jetted and walked back to the lander, took off, got into orbit... and ran out of fuel while matching inclination. Oops. (Mission Control, who hadn't given him permission to land in the first place, were beside themselves at this point.)

Still, he was in a stable orbit and thus no imminent danger; and, this was one reason (along with balance and symmetry) that the ship carried two landers (plus the big one, delivered on another rocket). The backup lander cast off under remote control and made rendezvous, and he flew the joined craft back to the ship.

So now, not only is Harden Kerman the first (and so far only) kerbal on Ike, he's also landed on Duna (not part of the mission plan - that was for the rest of the expedition, he was supposed to stay in orbit) and been the first to see that anomaly with his own eyes.

I think I've definitely found a kindred spirit for Jeb.

The last few weeks actually ... I made several missions around the Kerbin system, built a an exploration ship with science lab (to clean out the experiments) and a lander, crew of five: two scientists and three guys taking turns in the lander.

Some software glitch struck several times and wiped the databanks clean when new data arrived from Mun's/Minmus' surface ...

Development of new technology was thus stalled and it took a while to come up with blueprints for a Duna lander and first sketches of a interplanetary exploration ship.

Using Kethane-only-nukes slows me down a bit more, as there is no mining going on as of now. Will have to think about this soon.

Communication infrastructure on the other hand is quite well developed, a large array with lots of big dishes and space for six operators - currently unmanned, meant as a backup system should anything happen on Kerbins surface.

A trusted LKO sat quartet insures coverage not only for launching missiles and mapping probes in polar orbits around Kerbin and its two moons double as part-time relays.

To-do:

send a probe carrier to Duna and its moon for preliminary scanning and mapping as well as scouting a landing site and establish basic communications

establish mining operations for Kethane on Mun - a bill has been passed to ban (mined, refined) nuclear material and working nuclear engines any closer then a 500km orbit around Kerbin