What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I attempted to fly my nuclear tug and lander to Dres. Turns out it didn't have enough dV for my inefficient maneuvering to actually get there.

Jeb is now on an eccentric, inclined orbit around the sun. The tug is on a completely different orbit, as I ditched it to use the lander's engine. Turned out the lander's fuel tank had been drained by the nuclear engines. Whoops.

Edited by leopardenthusiast
slightly better link

Made a single stage reusable Tylo lander capable of landing 21 crew + a 14 tonne rover safely on the surface and returning to orbit with around 500 m/s of delta v to spare. Completely stock, no mods.

More details here.

screenshot1190.jpg

Holy Kraken, Batt Man! Seriously? So I'm actually not doing anything obscenely-excessive yet?

Geez, maybe I'll just stay with the Abomination Against Aerodynamics that I've been using to date for this job: a wingless, vertical-takeoff parachute-recovery jet-powered "rocket". 8 radial-mounted turbos with 150 units jet fuel and 2 shock inlets each, mounted to a central X200-8 tank with a single NERVA for final orbit insertion/rendezvous/de-orbit burn. Ugly as sin, and it'd be a fiery disaster with Deadly Reentry, but it gets the job done in stock with "full recovery" (meaning everything comes back, but my 'precision ballistic re-entry skills' suck and I'm lucky to land close enough to KSC for ~95% recovery of this beast)...

...and it's only 84 parts/66 tons/120k Funds fully-loaded on the pad, and invariably lands with fuel still in the tanks. (Yeah, nearly 50% of the launch mass is the delivered payload. More than 50%, if I use the variant intended to leave the Jumbo tank in orbit and consider the tank itself to be "delivery payload".)

If it makes you feel any better, I built and tried out a plane with the features suggested. It failed to make space - the RAPIERs switched over way too early and then promptly exploded. Mind you I only had time for a single test flight yesterday and I knew taking off it had bugs to work out (namely no manual switchover action group, an insufficient number of wings, and (worst of all) no vertical stabilizers (i.e. no yaw control whatsoever)). If I do finally make orbit with the thing, I'll be sure to post a screenie...

Edited by capi3101

Today we successfully launched our first RainbowDash-class spaceplane (with Batpony-class medium rocket). It was our second attempt and it is an unponned flight.

96749_600.png97133_600.png

"Rainbow Dash" spaceplanes are designed primary for scientific purposes, but it also can be used for satellite launches on low orbites.

Fullres images on links: http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/luiza_fransuaza/27383315/96749/96749_original.png http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/luiza_fransuaza/27383315/97023/97023_original.png and http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/luiza_fransuaza/27383315/97133/97133_original.png

Edited by Luiza

I seem to have a penchant for long, boring rides. Last year, I thought a rover traverse on the Mun was a great idea. Think about all the science, I thought! 4 hours later, I was still on my way. Ech.

This year, I decided it would be a great idea to do some seismic contracts on Eve. Unfortunately, I didn't plan my decent very well, and I landed 600 km off target. Whelp, more science for me I guess. But still. UuuuuuUUUuuuuuugh.

Today we successfully launched our first RainbowDash-class spaceplane (with Batpony-class medium rocket). It was our second attempt and it is an unponned flight.

http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/luiza_fransuaza/27383315/96749/96749_600.png http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/luiza_fransuaza/27383315/97133/97133_600.png

"Rainbow Dash" spaceplanes are designed primary for scientific purposes, but it also can be used for satellite launches on low orbites.

Fullres images on links: http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/luiza_fransuaza/27383315/96749/96749_original.png http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/luiza_fransuaza/27383315/97023/97023_original.png and http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/luiza_fransuaza/27383315/97133/97133_original.png

Nice work. In 0.24 I tried to make one looking almost exactly like yours using Spaceplane+ mod, except for solar panels where I used retractable ones. It was intended for crew and supplies transfer to and from space station, but even though launch and docking were working as intended re-entry and landing were...difficult at best.

Well... I learned today that while setting navigation hold on retrograde during a Mun decent can be helpful, it can also lend itself to disaster... especially when you accidentally throttle up too much and begin to ascend - the navigation hold continues to track retrograde, sending you into a "What the?!?!?!!" and your lander smashing into the ground. bah.

With all the talk about hard being 'grindy' in 0.9, I decided to see how exactly how far I could go on standard hard difficulty settings without taking a single random contract, and while not using any strategies.

This is how far i've got so far,

ContractArchives_zps7e4464ab.jpg

So far its been centred around a single series of probes, being upgraded as new techs arrive and all costing around 10k.

The Mun and Minmus landings were carried out without any building upgrades, so no patched conics, and the Minmus one even managed to get home!

After that I had to upgrade the tracking station and mission control to go to other planets, I still haven't upgraded anything else.

All the landing missions were done without SAS using Stayputnik cores.

Two of my probes, at Ike and Gilly, failed to complete their objectives. Both ran out of fuel so i'll have to cut the weight before I retry.

Aside form those two, the other exploration contracts available are Bop, Pol and Tylo, none of which i've been too before.

With thermometers to replace the goos I was using, and no atmospheres on anything other than Laythe, I can boost the dV to just under 10k with the current design. I know I can do Ike and Gilly with that, having looked at the dV map, Bop and Pol look very achievable, as does Dres, while Vall and Eeloo dwell in a 'maybe' region. Moho and Tylo are going to require some redesigning.

Edited by ghpstage

Today I accomplished my dream since at least as far back as 0.23 :D

Using a single stock launch, I performed every possible experiment outside the Kerbin system (this is in 0.25, without the new biomes) and returned a command pod containing all 328 of the experiments to Kerbin!

Here is a picture of the command pod with all the experiments.

The most nerve-wracking moment by far was when I realized that a last-minute design tweak I had made to my Eve ascender, adding octagonal struts below all the engines to protect them on landing, prevented them from providing full thrust and greatly reduced their effective ∆v as a result. I managed to solve the problem well enough to get to orbit (with help from my jetpack) in a very Kerbal way: intentionally falling to explode as many as possible. Observe. (sorry for the terrible gif hosting)

I was soooo relieved when I got to orbit-- Eve was my last stop and to fail there would have been devastating.

My next task is to perform all possible experiments in all of the biomes of the Kerbin system (Mun, Minmus, and Kerbin itself) using ships launched in the payload of the same stock launch. I don't think it will be as fun as the grand science tour, but the completionist in me demands it :)

Edited by a2soup

Today I accomplished my dream since at least as far back as 0.23 :D

Using a single stock launch, I performed every possible experiment outside the Kerbin system (this is in 0.25, without the new biomes) and returned a command pod containing all 328 of the experiments to Kerbin!

Here is a picture of the command pod with all the experiments.

The most nerve-wracking moment by far was when I realized that a last-minute design tweak I had made to my Eve ascender, adding octagonal struts below all the engines to protect them on landing, prevented them from providing full thrust and greatly reduced their effective ∆v as a result. I managed to solve the problem well enough to get to orbit (with help from my jetpack) in a very Kerbal way: intentionally falling to explode as many as possible. Observe. (sorry for the terrible gif hosting)

I was soooo relieved when I got to orbit-- Eve was my last stop and to fail there would have been devastating.

My next task is to perform all possible experiments in all of the biomes of the Kerbin system (Mun, Minmus, and Kerbin itself) using ships launched in the payload of the same stock launch. I don't think it will be as fun as the grand science tour, but the completionist in me demands it :)

Cool man, congratulations :)

Looks very interesting, do you have a more detailed report showing off your entire vehicle and its landers? Would love to see what it takes to do this.

I have just finished the prototype of my spaceplane for my Grand Tour mission. Just some minor tweaks and optimizations now...

With a fully fueled launch weight of only 4.7 tons it is the ideal spaceplane to be carried by a larger vessel without eating up too much delta V and it is small enough to fit inside a Mk. III cargo bay. It can take off at 50 m/s, giving it a very short take off distance, ideal for Laythe´s hilly landscape. During its maiden flight, it reached a 150 km Kerbin orbit, using only a half load of its fuel. The flight profile is stable and easy to manage, stability and weight distribution is rock solid throughout the flight. The six science experiments on board will give plenty of SCIENCE from Laythe´s surface and atmosphere. Probably the best small SSTO Spaceplane i have built so far.

One kerbonaut fits inside the capsule of the craft. Tests will follow, how it acts without stability augmentation system, so maybe even a scientist can pilot it for maximum benefits.

More "revealing" pictures will follow, when i release the craft file.

TW3Fd6k.png

Edited by Frank_G

What would have been a straightforward probe release mission had I not mistimed the landing...

Javascript is disabled. View full album

...everything worked out okay in the end - the final approach was rather hairy, though once I'd come through the clouds, I could see what I was doing well enough.

For the first time (which surprises me for some reason), I brought a J64 tank to orbit via spaceplane as payload without having to cannibalize the thing. Behold the Orange Crush 7:

shTk6cq.png

Vindicated my math in the process - I was getting worried there for a bit. Takeoff and orbital run was a bit hairy - I didn't balance the intakes and engines properly and takeoff TWR was 0.88. CoL was also based on the final position of the dry center of mass which shifts aft about .75 meters as she flies (data from RCS Build Aid), so she definitely needs all that SAS to hold her attitude. Still not sold on the rendezvous capabilities given the remaining delta-V. She should, however, still be flyable after de-orbit. I'll let y'all know how the rest of the test flight goes.

Still in 0.25 incidentally. Still no word yet on an LoadOnDemand update...