What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Today i landed and launched from Eve in .90. The lander needs some final tweaking, then i will upload the craftfile. It is far more effective than its predecessor, beating it by 1.8k of delta V and a TWR on Eves surface of ø 1.25. The new construction gizmos really help a lot, when designing such complex craft, that need some careful balancing. I cant thank Squad enough for these new tools... :)

bxHzyIw.jpg

gb1l07L.jpg

The craftfile is now available for download. Link in my signature.

Edited by Frank_G
Download is now available

My career mode game continued with a Gilly mission. In addition to the standard Explore Gilly contract, somebody also wanted a 12-kerbal station orbiting the moon, and was willing to pay ridiculous money for it. I wasn't interested in designing an entirely new ship, so I took my Duna lander, updated the crew module to match the station requirements, and launched a newbie crew to Gilly.

gilly_mission_1.jpeg

I was really lazy this time and took the first promising launch window, which ended up with a 3 km/s encounter with Eve. Aerobraking time. It turned out that even with FAR & DRE, you can safely dive down to 65 km and brake at 3g without losing any parts.

gilly_mission_2.jpeg

gilly_mission_3.jpeg

On the way back, I decided to return the entire lander again. After being used to playing with the 6.4x Kerbol System, DRE is really forgiving with the stock planets.

gilly_mission_4.jpeg

The lander was too top-heavy for high-gravity planets like Kerbin, so when I realized that I was going to land on a slope, I extended only two landing struts.

My multi-ship mission to Duna and Ike arrived in orbit today. Well, most of it did.

I tweaked the maneuver nodes for the final approach and the first probe came screaming in wayyy too fast (because I am still a nub at interplanetary flights), so the aerobraking was almost completely ineffective. Had to burn all its remaining fuel to get it into a lopsided but tolerable orbit. So, that one's not going to be able to be positioned to complete a "satellite around Duna" contract. No matter. I have others.

Well, *had* others, because the second, better probe with more bells and whistles was apparently eaten in transit by the mythic Kraken. Loaded into it, got a black screen and "nan" and after I restarted the game, there it was - gone. Sigh.

Probe #3 - ironically the first one launched, but the least-useful - is going to have to finish that contract for me. Wait, the encounter that I had apparently vanished in transit and it has hurtled past its target. So I burned like 80% of its fuel getting it an intercept like 250 days from now, sigh again. But it should have enough fuel left to capture and establish the desired orbit.

I also flubbed the trajectory and aerobraking for the tanker drone, which delivered one of those Rockomaxes that's half the size of an orange tank, but it's in an acceptable orbit.

On the plus side, Jeb, Bob and Bill arrived as planned and we used the experience gathered from the not-so-good piloting to make sure they captured correctly. Jeb landed on Ike, lander-hopped once for double the science fun, and then they returned to Duna where he landed again. Wasn't planning on landing on Ike - the Flying Dutchman probe was supposed to do that before it vanished - but we should be okay to return to Kerbin without needing the tanker, which was put in place as a contingency anyway.

I don't have Alarm Clock installed and really dislike juggling multiple flights at the same time. But we got there in the end.

Getting ready for my "simulated" return from Eve, in fact you can almost see the pod. It is the little dark spot against Eve.

DJD1ukt.png

All docked up and final ascent stage is off the pod, now just 100 days till the window opens to go home!

JbpuAqj.png

.....And then I put the first hut on Moho. Well that is what I am calling this complete failure LOL

hzlW38u.png

Under figured my craft, went way too early for my transfer, and made many many mistakes during all the burns. What makes this so bad is that I was not drinking during this time, maybe I should drink more often and I will not have this happen LOL

I had a desperate need for a lot of dirty, cheap money, so I fulfilled two extremely rewarding missions at once - sent a probe to Gilly, put into a specific synchronous orbit (for a contract) and then used it to land and take measures, completing my exploration contract.

A9AC4B1E328AD8C9F274F031C1E08C2878F4E469

The probe was a well tested model, with a simple LV-N rocket for the interplanetary part and a bigger Rockomax based vector for reaching Kerbin orbit. Total cost, 77,000 credits.

I had also planned a kerballed mission to Gilly to deploy a permanent base, but that failed on account of a... small miscalculation. I put a huge starship AND a huge interplanetary vector in Low Kerbin Orbit separately, then docked them... then found out that they were almost useless because leaving LKO with that much weight and only an LV-N engine was almost impossible, seeing how the burn would take longer than the orbit itself and therefore all I can do is slowly spiral out in a most inefficient way. They're still up there while I try to figure out what to do about them.

Completed two course corrections - one in interplanetary space, the next in the outer parts of Jool's SOI - to set up my initial gravicapture.

15955304398_8f6022add5_h.jpg

I've done tons of planet-planet assists but this is the first time I've tried to gravicapture into a system. And not too bad of an initial orbit either. I set Vall as the target just to check inclination, but as you can see I'm not far off getting a flyby of it if I want.

Today I worked on testing for a rocket based on the Saturn 1C from Eyes Turned Skyward.

Once I figured out the first stage (seeing as I'm too lazy to go and make an actual F1-A variant of the FASA F1 despite the fact that I wasn't lazy enough to not add tweakscale to the FASA tanks), I ended up with a decent version of it that flies very well. I'm still working to figure out the proper ascent profile (as I either end up having too shallow of an apoapsis leading to an abort or I end up going way past my LKO target @ 85k) for LKO, but even so, its a functional rocket.

Here's a nice pic from my last test flight with a version of the Block III CSM as the payload.

yi3kXHG.jpg

So after the mishap on Moho on my test save I decided to slightly redesign my Moho lander, and I think this will work out better than my original one. The launch center stage will have enough leftover to get out of Kerbin's SOI, and then the mid drive should be enough to get the encounter and orbit before running dry. I will most likely be launching this tomorrow, I did test the launch a few times to make sure it was consistent. Duna launch should be coming up shortly as well, and my Eeloo ship will be getting closer to Eeloo.

TH20piM.png

Soonâ„¢!

Did not go to space today, first I had to deal with a repeating glitch that the only way I know how to deal with is relaunching the game.

Not to bad, would make for a cool background for sure at least.

WNSF6Yu.jpg

Next Jeb wanted to feel the breeze on a decent in me messing around with a lander idea I was slowly working with and being bored with. He enjoyed it.

xmakSV6.jpg

Also you will notice no parachutes (forgot them), and I was out of fuel but due to an old bug I exploited he survived fine and happy.

YFsEVjM.jpg

What you have to do is keep a Kerbal on the ladder holding on throughout the decent and the impact of the landing/crash will somehow cushion or even cause the kerbal to bounce back up at times. Something I'm sure many know about. Either way it was still a fun day in KSP.

Dropped a lander on Mun without checking the slope beneath me... rolled the lander over and stranded the pilot. Sent a rover up to go fetch the stranded pilot... rolled the rover over and stranded another pilot. Not a good day. Now I'm going to go roll me over and get some sleep and work on it tomorrow.

I successfully retrieved surface science without landing.

Since some of the science contracts ask you to perform science experiments in places that are hard to take off from - like the middle of the ocean - I developed an air-droppable probe that fits underneath my reconnaissance plane. All I need to do is fly over the waypoint and drop the probe, circle round and return to the KSP, and then switch control to the probe and perform whatever experiments are required.

Today i landed and launched from Eve in .90.

Pretty cool screens and craft. My pitiful first attempt at Eve yesterday pales in comparison, but I barely played two weeks.

Refueling in Kerbin orbit. Using Skippers as I haven't researched the nuclear engines yet. The craft doesn't have enough fuel to make it back from Eve orbit so I'll send a nuclear engined retrieval craft for my Kerbal once I research the tech.

WONtzJp.jpg

Eve orbit, sending down a probe.

7uOEk0S.jpg

I have no screenshots of the landing but the mission was mostly a failure as the dense atmosphere changed my landing location significantly - to the middle of an ocean. I should have burned retrograde until vertical descent, not go in at a shallow angle as I did. I took pressure, temperature, goo and materials experiments on the descent and transmitted as much as I could before running out of juice. Solar panels broke off when extended, even after parachute deployment. Visually all I saw was a distant island on the horizon.

FzxOzif.jpg

Dropped a lander on Mun without checking the slope beneath me... rolled the lander over and stranded the pilot. Sent a rover up to go fetch the stranded pilot... rolled the rover over and stranded another pilot. Not a good day. Now I'm going to go roll me over and get some sleep and work on it tomorrow.

"Enough is enough! Gene, prep the minivan, we're going places."