What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I killed Jebadiah :-(

Playing FAR, DRE and some other mods on Hard in career for the first time. Got a mission to use a stack decoupler in orbit and buggered up the launch and therefore the reentry so the entire ship 'sploded taking Jeb with it.

Such an easy mission too. Reminding me that I can balls up even the simplest of launches lol.

Not having the maneuver nodes either! Arghh!

Well its driven the costs up quite a lot, but it looks like i've solved the dV problem to probe of less than 18 tons and 30 parts and built using tech allowed by a level 1 research facility to get to Tylo and maybe Moho.

Using a jet lifting stage, I have 7k dV in orbit!

TyloandMohoProbe_zpse8610379.jpg

TyloandMohoProbeinOrbit_zpse73a2cc4.jpg

At this point every exploration contract looks doable, with only Moho looking like it may prove difficult. Does anyone know of any scripted contracts beyond those?

I have just successfully docked my new spaceplane prototype to the LKO-S II "Goliath" Laboratory in 100 km orbit.

zJxpQwg.png

BZoRYuL.png

[edit] And Goliath Laboratory in a bit more lit situation:

gujfibt.png

Edited by Frank_G
Added another screenshot

Trying and failing to build a craft capable of putting four Kerbals on the surface of the Mun and safely returning them in 140t or less. I think I'm just going to send two of them, then send the other two when I get a "Plant a flag on the Mun" contract.

Trying and failing to build a craft capable of putting four Kerbals on the surface of the Mun and safely returning them in 140t or less. I think I'm just going to send two of them, then send the other two when I get a "Plant a flag on the Mun" contract.
The 48-7S and the basic jet are your friends. Either is enough to do a one-kerbal lander in the 18/30 limit, which would scale to a four-kerbal lander that's easily under 140 tons.
http://i.imgur.com/v1fmuPE.png

"Being Productive"

(The Building is Mission Control)

Nice design. I never thought of using multiple QBEs for a micro rover chassis, it looks really good.

My rover landed on Duna 73km away from Bill and Dunfurt in their lander. So I had to drive it across the surface to meet them. It took three hours. Here it is condensed in to three minutes for your enjoyment.

I drove it without using time acceleration and kept the speed below 10m/s because I didn't want to blow a tire. Walking Dunfurt to meet it and fix a wheel would have been tedious!

I have succesfully put a satellite in a prograde equatorial Kerbin orbit. My solution for my earlier problems with DeltaV was attaching 6 more SRBs to the first stage, but I think I should build something more cost efficient. I can either make the 1st stage recoverable or research fuel lines so I can develop my space burn stage better. I have a contract for Mun satellite, so I think I should go with the 2nd option.

After fiddling around in science mode for two weeks, visiting Kerbin's moons, making a one way trip to Eve and unlocking all tier 4 nodes, I'm restarting my game in career mode just to give it a little bit more purpose and challenge. Hopefully won't be too hard. I don't know if spaceplane contracts exist, but I've barely ever made one that can fly and maneuver properly

Cool man, congratulations :)

Looks very interesting, do you have a more detailed report showing off your entire vehicle and its landers? Would love to see what it takes to do this.

I put together a quick summary with the basics and highlights from the interplanetary segment of the tour I just finished. I'll post a much more detailed album when I finish the Kerbin system as well. Hope you enjoy :)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

My original post:

Today I accomplished my dream since at least as far back as 0.23 :D

Using a single stock launch, I performed every possible experiment outside the Kerbin system (this is in 0.25, without the new biomes) and returned a command pod containing all 328 of the experiments to Kerbin!

Here is a picture of the command pod with all the experiments.

The most nerve-wracking moment by far was when I realized that a last-minute design tweak I had made to my Eve ascender, adding octagonal struts below all the engines to protect them on landing, prevented them from providing full thrust and greatly reduced their effective ∆v as a result. I managed to solve the problem well enough to get to orbit (with help from my jetpack) in a very Kerbal way: intentionally falling to explode as many as possible. Observe. (sorry for the terrible gif hosting)

I was soooo relieved when I got to orbit-- Eve was my last stop and to fail there would have been devastating.

My next task is to perform all possible experiments in all of the biomes of the Kerbin system (Mun, Minmus, and Kerbin itself) using ships launched in the payload of the same stock launch. I don't think it will be as fun as the grand science tour, but the completionist in me demands it :)

Edited by a2soup

im still playing... :D

trying to build a fake SSTO base for career contracts. overheated the rapiers on first try, will try again...

maintain stabilty for 10 seconds aaaaaand return to base.

DCFD0573EB75602FA67EF8E4AFBEF2735750D3F7

edit:

success! :cool:

BF331BA6027259148F02C6808FBCE12F83FAEB7D

0D93672D4F0930A5970108A885D5A11B3C4A8F77

F07B820A4EE81C16BF4A2547650E2BACCC2317DA

Edited by spaceBrezel

I continued my hard difficulty scripted contracts only challenge.

Bop, Pol and Gilly are now cleared, and my new jet lifted probe did get to Tylo, it just ran out of fuel and landed a little too hard.....

More annoying was that a space Kraken ate my second run on Ike :mad:

On the plus side the contracts for Vall and Dres, which i'm now confident in completing have appeared. Moho appeared too, but that can sit on the backburner for now!

Starting to worry a little about achieving my secondary goal of completing the exploration contracts without upgrading the R&D or launch pad buildings. Moho and Tylo are formidable obstacles.

Overall its been extremely successful so far.

All exploration contracts completed so far were done with probes costing less than 11k, with the current non atmospheric bodies, Gilly, Pol, Bop, the proposed Ike and Dres missions costing just 9210 each!

Most surprisingly i've only had 4 failures so far, three running out of fuel and one krakkened. I'm sure Vall, Tylo and Moho will add to this however.

Edited by ghpstage

It worked. It actually worked. I'm kinda shocked. This is, by far, the biggest, most ungainly thing I've ever built in KSP, ever. Before this, in 6.4x I'd only managed to land a singly lonely Kerbal on the Mün, and that was with (what I thought) was a ridiculously expensive, Kerbin-Orbit-Rendezvous flight plan midway thru my career. It was so awkward I never bothered going back, since my smaller LKO rockets were working so well. With my station now complete, and most of the tech tree unlocked, I decided to try a single launch heavy-lift Mün rocket. How much harder could direct-ascent be anyway? :confused: Six THOUSAND(!) tonnes later, and I have this. I give you:

Isfjell 1.

lVDeZeJ.png

It's over a hundred meters tall, 10m lower stages, seven 3m SRB's, can put 20 tonnes on the Münar surface, costs 1.5 MILLION funds for a single launch, and afterward it takes 80 24-hr game days to "refurbish" the pad.

SRB sep:

FpVlZfq.png

What I wound up with is basically a Saturn C-8 clone, except for the SRB's. I had to resort to those cuz I simply ran out space to stick engines on the bottom stage. As it is, it uses eight of the largest 3m engines in the NovaPunch pack, and seven smaller "vernier"-type engines just for control. Early designs suffered horribly from control issues early in the launch, the lag from computing so much mass didn't help either. Once I finally arrived at the right balance of "stuff that steers" vs "stuff that weighs too much" and dialed in a flight profile it actually flies quite nicely. It's still single-digit framerates until just before first stage separation.

IxRZCeZ.png

The bottom stage alone costs around 750,000 funds. Non-recoverable. Once the first stage drops, control smooths out significantly.

2wk70KT.png

The second stage, with eight scaled up M50's and a single 3m quad in the middle, continues almost all the way to orbit. I've got the flight profile tweaked so it's less than 100m/s burn to circularlize to my standard 140km parking orbit. Tho I now realize I may have a problem with the launch abort tower & shroud going into orbit after they separate shortly after the second stage drops.

The third stage circularizes into LKO, then makes the TMI burn, and is discarded just into the Mün's SOI on an impact course. It still had around 600m/s dV left at this point, meaning the rocket has more payload potential yet.

pJKdvcK.png

The direct ascent lander braking into Münar oribt. Lander mass is around 60 tonnes, 20 of that is the return vehicle.

mac2YTf.png

Landing near the Armstrong memorial. Never did see it, instruments said it was still around 7km away, and this crew didn't bring a rover.

V7G844H.png

7fK64L9.png

A safe landing with a very top-heavy ship. Fortunately, the 6.4x Mün is rather flat & boring. Ladders & main power deployed. The lander has a theoretical endurance of 11 days with a crew of 3, but lacking RTG's the batteries would never last the Münar night, so this crew only spends about a day on the surface.

MqcHM8O.png

Veteran Jerdous Kerman, the second Kerbal on the Mün (in this save.)

His first task is to collect the Science! from the various experiments and return it to the pod in case a hasty departure is nescessary.

g1dtsg0.png

Then it's time for the all-important flag planting and commemorative plaque.

HkC1fs5.png

Jerdous is joined by Wilfrid & Frony Kerman for a quick photo op and some random wandering around the bleak surface.

weLONHl.png

After about 20 hours on the surface, with the Münar night approaching the crew depart in the return vehicle. It's rather underpowered and makes a long, slow, much corrected ascent back to orbit, and a long, slow trans-Kerbin burn. But still has plenty of fuel left.

p5Gks8A.png

The pod just prior to reentry, displaying the power-and-propulsion pack. This gives it some limited trajectory control before, and provides plenty of attitude control during aerobraking. No more annoying "ran out of battery power after the first skip" situations. It's jettisoned just before chute deployment. The Trajectories mod, however, gave me a situation and didn't display properly, leading to a much steeper, hotter entry and landing on the wrong side of the planet, at night no less. But the pod & crew survived unscathed putting the finishing touch on a near-perfect mission and verifying that this ridiculous design actually, well, works!

Ngkaz2q.png

Edited by CatastrophicFailure