What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Today I spent few hours running all over the place trying to catch and squash a bug which threw my center of mass way off my rocket whether I used all stock parts or parts from mods. I was removing mod after mod after mod until I found one that caused my problems: latest version of Real Chute. I am currently playing without it and hoping for update.

Designing and testing my first ever Eve ascent mission. This craft is based on a carnivorous Kerbin where Asparagus and Onions are deemed evil, so it needs to be a classic rocket design.

It has about 10km/s delta-v after tossing the chutes and landing legs. You guys think this might cut it?

RzYUpAv.jpg?1

Enough to get my test pilot zipping by the sun at 65000 m/s with a 260000 km periapsis when launched from Kerbin

PLUsob9.jpg?1

Designing and testing my first ever Eve ascent mission. This craft is based on a carnivorous Kerbin where Asparagus and Onions are deemed evil, so it needs to be a classic rocket design.

It has about 10km/s delta-v after tossing the chutes and landing legs. You guys think this might cut it?

Maybe if you have FAR installed and land on a mountain.

10km/s won't cut it in stock from sea level.

Today I discovered something that is kind of mind blowing, I may have a either a corrupted file or there is a major memory leak in my KSP install. When I switch to a ship that is enroute to Eeloo it blows up the game and the screen goes black, and when I switch to the space center from said ship there is only the lower bar of the screen visible. So now I am left to decide if I want to reinstall the game or just restart all my missions from scratch on a new save. This is now the third save that has been having some sort of issue in fact I am running few mods this time as well and have been hitting the memory limit, yet when I did my colonial series with tons of mods it was very stable.

Well back to the think tank I guess ;.;

Today I discovered something that is kind of mind blowing, I may have a either a corrupted file or there is a major memory leak in my KSP install. When I switch to a ship that is enroute to Eeloo it blows up the game and the screen goes black, and when I switch to the space center from said ship there is only the lower bar of the screen visible. So now I am left to decide if I want to reinstall the game or just restart all my missions from scratch on a new save. This is now the third save that has been having some sort of issue in fact I am running few mods this time as well and have been hitting the memory limit, yet when I did my colonial series with tons of mods it was very stable.

Well back to the think tank I guess ;.;

Exactly what happened to one of my Duna probes like two days ago. Restarted the game and only that one ship had been nuked, though. Everything else was fine.

Mostly messing about. Got the two satellites into their positions (the allowed deviation was higher than I expected), put Seanski into Mun orbit and tested the LV-1R there, rescued an orbiting engineer and fiddled with a spaceplane design. Also, found out that the Jet Set Radio's low-speed behaviour is completely unworkable, so it can only parachute-land - so I recovered the one with Jeb in it, as he can't repack the parachutes. I guess I'll need to make a new plane that can land normally, or perhaps includes ladders and an Okto.

DrfF3B.png

I1iQqt.png

The unupgraded runway is so uneven that I don't really see the point launching planes off it. Also, using the VAB allows me to overcome the 30-part limit and lack of action groups in my unupgraded SPH. Thus, boosters and launch clamps. This spaceplane design actually got orbit, which was a bit of a surprise. I didn't test its landing abilities, however, and it was really quite expensive. Perhaps the fuel cost is low, but seeing as I'm unsure that I could land it intact - let alone on the runway/launchpad - I decided to go with a disposable rescue launch.

r0Dyit.png

hgWkSy.png

I grabbed a cheap early orbiter, added a little extra fuel for rendezvous and stuck on an Okto, some batteries and some solar panels. I tested its landing ability, of course - the parachute set it down intact on the legs when landing on solid ground in the test, but it was too fast for the water landing that followed the actual rescue. Whoops. Fortunately, the rescuee and probe core survived, so that's something.

nO1XRI.png

Finally, Seanski is now in Mun orbit with a reasonable amount of fuel left on his transfer stage. I'll use that to get as many of the non-landed survey reports and temperature readings as I can - no need to waste it, after all.

Exactly what happened to one of my Duna probes like two days ago. Restarted the game and only that one ship had been nuked, though. Everything else was fine.

Well this is the third save that started to go wonkie for no real reason so I am doing a reinstall, my hope is that it is just conflict with the way Steam updates games. If not I am going to be really frustrated as to what it is, because it was nearly unplayable today at all. I did save my crafts though so I do not have to the rebuild of them again, that would take awhile LOL.

Thanks to procedural wings I finally got my first real payload to orbit onboard an SSTO. This will probably be the final version of Glada III, 24t wet on the runway, 1t payload to 75x75(probably a tad higher, had 200dv left). Still a 4% payload fraction, I'm a happy camper.

27 Parts! One basic jet engine, two mark 55 rockmax rocket engines. Still amazed how much mass I got that puny little jet engine to carry to 11km thought their max was around 11t.

niGAYVQ.jpg

Going to be hairy landing, even if its a third of its weight and can probably do a very slow landing, the rear gear is so far forward. Can't wait to unlock turbojets though.

Looks good, and 10 km/s is pretty good going for a serial staged design. But I'm noticing KER reporting a TWR of 0.63, which is not so good. Remember Eve has even stronger gravity than Kerbin.

I got Jeb stranded in my 1st orbit of this career when I accidentally staged his craft and now his capsule and parachute are all he has. He is in 76x130km orbit so I will probably be able to EVA and push him down once I upgrade astronaut complex to allow for EVA. I'll leave that for tomorrow and go to sleep as I don't want to have even more Kerbals stranded

Looks good, and 10 km/s is pretty good going for a serial staged design. But I'm noticing KER reporting a TWR of 0.63, which is not so good. Remember Eve has even stronger gravity than Kerbin.

Ah yea, thanks, good to know :) Luckily those low TWR readings are a bunch of LV-T30 used as retro braking rockets which are disposed of together with the landing gear. The combined TWR of the initial booster stage is 1.86(2.61 max) on Kerbin or 1.10(1.54 max) on Eve.

Also, I've redesigned the upper stage so that now the total thing has 12,8 km/s delta-v. That should get her places, even in the stock souposphere.

Main problem now seems that this tall stack undergoes rapid disassembly upon hitting slightly uneven ground at speeds as low as 5m/s. Defenitely not a good sign. Moar struts might be in order.

Remodeling stock tanks some more, and adding auto-shrouds to cover the open ends when you attach something smaller.

http://www.necrobones.net/screenshots/KSP/KSP%202014-12-30%2018-26-27-27.jpg

Auto tank caps, no more wasted mass or part count on cosmetic adapters. You continue to amaze. :)

Wait are those tapered ones tanks (11 down on the right hand side)? If so I need me some of those kind!

You should click some of the links in NecroBones' signature. ;)

Still in 0.25 pending a critical update of LoadOnDemand. Thinking seriously about going back to the old way of doing things (i.e. just play with the graphics turned down to something on par with Pong).

Been playing missions for the Apres-Noel portion of the Kadvent Kalendar challenge. Did a redesign of the Rhea to drop a sci probe off at the North Pole, and then designed and flew a resupply shuttle to the M'np space station, returning successfully to KSC.

Secured Tylo orbit, but discovered I'm short on fuel. I'm captured, but it's a further 800 m/s or so to drop down to low Tylo orbit, and I'm suspecting I overlooked that in my mission budgeting. I suspect Jeb will be doing some jetpacking.

I was mucking about with this:

uOU7LMz.png

It's 5500 tonnes, 100 meters high, 1.5 million funds to build, has nearly bankrupted me just SIMULATING it...

KvMfqVP.png

... is taller than the VAB...

pGy3CZY.png

... and still needs lots of work. I can see why Nasa went with the LOR profile instead of direct ascent & Saturn 8.

Edited by CatastrophicFailure