What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I got my first 1.0 SSTO Spaceplane into orbit:

YYNEqru.jpg

This took many attempts, and finally the addition of the precoolers, to thread the needle between exploding cockpit and falling short of orbital velocity.

To re-enter, I had to move all the remaining fuel to the rear of the plane so I could keep its nose up 30 degrees during entry. The retro burn targeted the periapsis at 48 kilometers.

7H3rquI.jpg

Didn't end up at KSC, but there was a lot of jet fuel left, so I would have been able to fly somewhere else...but just landed deadstick as soon as possible.

Z7kn9qO.jpg

Edited by Brotoro

Kicking around ideas like Max Q (ala space shuttle launches) and aerospikes (like the ones that pop out of the front of trident ICBMs to increase range by deflecting the airstream ahead of the missile. In a nutshell I'm trying to cheat my way past the rapid acceleration and heating problem by having a device mounted ahead of the cab to deflect airflow. In this case antennas. My Mako ship below is an excellent testbed for this but we will see...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/84903603/ksp/SPH/Mako.craft

9U7XEZk.jpg

A bit later.... Yep theory may have a bit of merit. stupid plane below blew thru max q

56naXnD.png

Edited by sumrex

The Mun Arch is mysterious and might crack under the correct pressure, at least that's what we told the scientists. The mission was to hit the Mun Arch with the heaviest thing we could launch at it. Impact was carefully calculated and plotted. The experiment was observed by Jebediah, Valentina and Bill. The result was the Mun Arch scoffed at the attempt to scratch it and we were defeated.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Maybe we didn't hit it hard enough?

According to Bob's approximate calculation the energy equals half the mass multiply the velocity2

The mass was 143 244 kg and a velocity of 738 m/s relative to the target and result is 39 Giga Joules.

Bob walks away muttering, "I told you it couldn't be knocked down"

Valentina and Jebediah watching the impact.

Edited by MoeslyArmlis
That's why Bob stayed home.

Did lots of stuff in KSP today:

Launched 6 class A satellites

Valentina went back to the Mun (cause she was scaring the tourists too much)... we fired the intern who wrote the text for the plaque and someone gave us a contract to bring her back.

2 Tourists got to ride in the auto-tour 1000. The computer may have threatened to kill them half way though but it calmed down, saying something about skynet.

Did an orbital scan of the mun and found some ore near Val's landing site so we sent a probe there to investigate further.

Mostly I learned lots of stuff.

I learned how to do ascent profiles decently.

I learned that just hitting 100% throttle and going "yeeeeeee-haaaaaaaw!" all the way to space doesn't work anymore and causes the rocket to flip out and die. Throttle down when your SRB's start to run out kids!

I learned that mach effects are a real thing and that max Q in my rockets happens around 300 m/s. This is also the time when you do NOT want to be touching the controls.

I learned that rockets are wobble as all hell.

I learned that I can do Mun surface missions without the use of manouver nodes or visible patched conics on the map screen (yay! so proud of myself!)

I learned that powered landings are soooooooo much easier if you just let Jeb or Val keep the ship retrograde rather than attempting to do it yourself and constantly over-compensating

and finally

I learned that playing KSP 1.0 gives me magical time-warping abilities in real life where what should be 30 minutes of game is actually 2 hours in real life.

All of my 1.0 missions in order:

Apollo Style Mun landing and yes that is Jeb and Val together before she goes to Eve

sWM5gl5.jpg

Eve Station and Secondary Components added

udb6uTt.jpg

QN4fjoe.jpg

Gilly Probe with it's view of Eve as it scans, tried a miner but had issues.

zf04saF.jpg

Lastly a Station Core unmanned but ready at Duna

nvsXqeU.jpg

I'm feeling really good about 1.0 :cool:

A better angle of the Mun dust thing...

https://youtu.be/oNMZj1tql4k

I cant figure out why the player wont show up...

I think it is because you used short link like this

https://youtu.be/oNMZj1tql4k

Instead, you should use full link and put whole link inside video tags like this: (note I have put space inside video tags so that you can see how it should look, as it was posting a video instead of link for me

[video ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNMZj1tql4k[/video]

And then you get this:

Sent Val and four tourists for a flyby around Minmus - only one of them actually wanted to go there, but I am not going to launch an extra mission for just one guy! :P Also it was a good exercise in building bigger with smaller parts.

Put a small station into orbit manned by yet four more tourists - Val sneaked out into a secondary capsule and deorbited the last stage on her return trip - will have to get them back down some day - at least in four years ... :wink:

Got a contract to prove my space agencies ability to rendesvouz in orbit - took this chance to bring home Bob who got stranded without fuel on a satellite deployment mission a few ingame weeks ago.

Planning a Minmus mission as I collected lots of contracts aiming that way - hopefully it will earn me enough funds to unlock the next R&D tier and still leaving me with a budget for a Mun landing.

And still juggling the numbers to get all four of my orange suits up in their skills without to many mission repetitions. May be a good time to build somewhat reusable Mun transfer ships and lander to ferry them over from a larger orbital station.

Spent the day doing parts testing and tourist missions - one of my tourists got to be part of history as Jeb made orbit around Kerbin. Made a boatload of cash and promptly blew it all by not realizing it costs money to hire Kerbals now. I was going to use that dough to upgrade the VAB, dammit...

Val blew a wing off of a bush plane as well, but she survived. Anybody else having problems getting their planes slowed down enough to come to a stop in the early stages of the tech tree?

Did various test, retrofitted my first ever SSTO spaceplane in 1.0 into drone, thrown away easy blown off Mk2 cockpit to fuel tank and use a more durable intake to counter the heat. And added 2 more engines, upgrade greatly enhanced it.

Also made Mk3 sub-orbital test plane that deploy escape pods. Too bad the air-braking doesn't always work right after decouple, mostly works after dropping to 5km or lower. Thing is just a simulation of warship evacuation. Scrapped it in end and made F14 Tomcat looking plane instead.

3UdLYkj.png

First I booted up my sandbox save, added segment 4 of 18 to my ring station. I figure I'll do at least one a day. The process of all the launches isn't the most exciting thing in the world, but I enjoy the planning and building, and the precise docking is fun.

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-28%20at%208.19.21%20PM.png

Then I started my brand new, shiny 1.0 career. Hard mode but allowing reverts since I, instead of going back and forth between the career and sandbox modes for testing, allow myself to revert testing designs and flight paths. Anyways. I got to the point where I can achieve orbit with a rocket; I unlocked the tier 1 Kerbonaut complex so Val had fun doing EVA's over various biomes. That allowed me to unlock the 45 level flight stuff, and I did a couple Kerbin survey contracts before I had to shut down for the night. Here's my Kerbin scout plane, Jeb enjoyed flying it as it is very smooth and stable.

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-28%20at%2011.36.33%20PM.png

Next up in career is flybys and orbits of Mun and Minmus. I may have to grind out some science around KSP and Kerbin a bit first though. But now that I have the first wheels in the game that should be a piece of cake, and I don't really mind the grind personally.

First: 1.0 is awesome. And after enjoing career mode yesterday, I am testing various planes today. And I discovered something:

I think SQUAD solved my favorite bug.

In other words: The radial intakes aren´t floaty anymore.

KYvAsFol.png

...o...k , I got another idea.

So I´ve covered the belly of a plane with the small heat-shields.

i2fQWj2l.png

Does it fly? - check. Like a dream

Does it look cool? - check. I think so

Does it float? - ...hmmm... nope :( not really.

The shields actually protect the fuselage while hitting the ocean at 70-80m/s (horizontal). But then the plane sinks too deep into the water and the whole thing breaks apart into thousands of pieces. It´s just too heavy.

If any of you guys got an idea how seaplanes could still work (apart from VTOLs) a PM would be appreciated. :)

At least, I guess not everybody´s got an utterly useless seaplane in their pool. So it wasn´t a complete waste of time. :cool:

48RxDZZl.png

Have fun with 1.0!

Edited by KerrMü

After much kerfufflery, I finally managed to get Valentina into orbit... using an all-solid, semiguided rocket.

O1JzC0d.png

Taking a nod from early Japanese launchers, there's no liquid fuel stages at all, all solid engines. And this early in the game I still lack control fins, RCS, even launch clamps. So just like the Japanese Mu series, this launcher is basically unguided. Thanks to the awesome new aerodynamics model, it flies a natural gravity turn until it gets to the fourth stage and the pod reaction wheels can have some effect. This took a lot of playing with the initial launch angle (its held up by trusses) and getting the engine thrust just right.

dFNzpWn.png

I don't really have any control until the rocket gets to this point, after which its (mostly) business as usual.

bnXwfsU.png

One of the new mini-boosters performs the final kick at apogee to put it into a very respectable 87x116km orbit.

2rjBX3e.png

Valentina spends the next couple of orbits gathering Science!, and the contract is completed. Another severely nerfed mini-booster performs the de-orbit burn.

pePOq1h.png

However, it's a bit of an aggressive descent, and the new aerodynamics bite me. The return stack isn't stable, it starts ok...

zyJk2UD.png

...but the capsule soon flips around nose-forward and explodes from reentry heat moments later.;.; Valentina is presumed lost...

s9htxM7.png

Until she suddenly shows up in the lounge later asking for snacks. Which I can't figure out cuz I know I had crew re spawn turned off.

Currently developing my Korton Ko-229H "Flying Wing" inspired by the Horten Ho-226

m1l8JFd.jpg

Tends to slideslip a lot due to the fact that there is very little rudder input (hidden/clipped vert stab). Most of the yaw command comes from horizontally installed airbrakes that act as the rudder.

xeSs7Lg.jpg

Parachute test, used when landing in uneven terrain.

Jlmwb8M.jpg

After four hours of designing and tweaking it, takes off well, flies well, climbs well, pretty stable, and above all, lands well. I might make a spaceplane or rocket-assisted space version of it.

GuUWj86.jpg

yB8wfqQ.jpg

eZETN8P.jpg

I was trying to develop a plane for survey contracts that was faster than my previous design. After Jeb damaged or destroyed quite a few planes (almost 250k funds in total) I decided to give Valentina chance to prove herself. She took latest twin-jet plane on quick spin around, close to KSC and both Val and plane did fantastic, so I sent her to do temperature scans from already accepted contract. She did that all and returned the plane home in one piece, landing it on newly paved runway.

cfFz8bt.png

coMIjDm.png

She is now my official pilot for atmospheric crafts, while Jeb will command those more important missions in outer space, like soon-to-be Munar landing.