What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I landed my 1st ship on Jool in 1.0.5 :cool:

06-19 Jool Relay Carrier Impact

I was actually shocked it made it all the way down.  Given how lethal it was to touch the atmosphere at all in 1.0.4, I was amazed that nothing burned up at the get-go.  But then, this descent started from only 1Mm x 300km orbit, not interplantary speeds.

I rescued Elbal Kerman from orbit using this sporty little executive spaceplane:  

0CYvUn1.jpg?1

Worked great, got to orbit easily with plenty of fuel to spare, glided down toward KSC in a controlled manner, except... 

... for some reason whenever I got over the runway, but before touching down, one of the wings would suddenly shear off.  I cannot really explain why.  I was not executing any particularly excessive maneuvers, other than some minor course adjustment, and it has been through plenty worse on both the way up and the way down.  I had a quicksave some kilometers out from the runway, and it did it every time I tried to land.  Darndest thing.  I eventually landed at KSC before reaching the runway.  Handled the low speed just fine, touched down smoothly, breaking was easy.  

Just something about that runway though... 

Played KSP all night...

bHWJqFb.png

I am a terrible person.

1 hour ago, Geschosskopf said:

I was actually shocked it made it all the way down.  Given how lethal it was to touch the atmosphere at all in 1.0.4, I was amazed that nothing burned up at the get-go.  But then, this descent started from only 1Mm x 300km orbit, not interplantary speeds.

Happy new year !

Late last night my massive (and quite useless, I found out) asteroid capture ship managed to rendezvous with and slowly nudge a class E asteroid into Kerbin orbit.

Lift-off, aiming for a 130 degree inclination.

BHniZXU.png

Docked to the bugger. Man it's big.

x5uJJBR.png

I'll spare you the details, but that grabber can't handle a lot of mainsails firing at once. Basically, what I thought would be a 3 minute burn, turned into a two hour ordeal. But... It worked. (And I have a very expensive fuel depot in orbit now... ;) )

N3j50b5.png

Now Eldin, Adbo and Dilbus Kerman have docked with the 1075 ton piece of rock. They'll start installing hardware that will be essential if we are to move it from it's current 6 by 50 million meter 130 deg inclination orbit to something a bit more "friendly"

XHrDKjX.png

Final glory shot with the KSC peninsula just visible on the right side of the planet.

pY8fCbf.png

Got lucky on the ore content, at 85%, there's about 913 tons of ore available. (Now how much fuel would that make?)

Alright, one last shot to show the relative size of the asteroid compared to my three Kerbal shuttle.

Bbj9l5l.png

Insane, right?

Edited by Snarfster

8 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

I just did that same type of thing to test some new parts of my Radial Heat Shields mod.  With the help of HyperEdit, obviously.

Edited by Guest

14 hours ago, LaytheDragon said:

It does require lots of stopping timewarp and moving the kerbal back near the ship, though, as the kerbal and the rescue ship drift through each other while on-rails

I remember reading somewhere there is a hot key to force physics warp instead of time warp. You can still only warp up to ×4, but it would save all the re-rescuing of the kerbals. Unfortunately I forget what that key is. 

1 minute ago, Kerbol Macrosystems said:

I remember reading somewhere there is a hot key to force physics warp instead of time warp. You can still only warp up to ×4, but it would save all the re-rescuing of the kerbals. Unfortunately I forget what that key is. 

[Alt] + [,] and [Alt] + [.] instead of the regular [,] and [.]

Built a submarine... that doesn't sink but flies reasonably well...:huh: It's mostly stock, with IR parts that are supposed to be used to anchor the sub to the sea bed. It has a cargo bay wich houses a small anchor point too, wich I intend to use a starting point of an underwater base.

The problem is, how do you get the subs under water?

http://imgur.com/2Rkezqr

(and how the hell do I link an imgur image? [ img ] [ /img ] won't work...)

Edited by PCanas

Today i launched the "JOURNEYMAN IT", my newest career-answer to wrangling asteroids. If they are too heavy, i simply drill their ore. Yepp. And make some nice hydrazine.
Took my "Lift`em all" asparagus-mammoth-booster-hoard and punched it up in one piece and clearly, fully fueled...:cool:.
Wait what, who did say it must be economic? ... Ah, you meant cosmetic... ...

My PC crashed while the first launch, second was okay:

VR3WxDF.png

1L5YNZu.png

4 hours ago, Tex_NL said:

[Alt] + [,] and [Alt] + [.] instead of the regular [,] and [.]

I've known this for a long time (and I use it frequently), I just didn't think of using it in this particular situation because it is usually of no use when in orbit and not doing a burn.

today i finished my career  "Minmus Fly-By contract" with a C,almost crashed,because the lander design grabbed the braking stage,,so i learned to give some space to radial boosters or they will grab the spent stage,(and even worse would be landing on top of it like me :/ )....

Tried my hand at flying a first stage booster back to KSC.  First I made sure a reasonable dummy payload would make it to orbit with an early MECO of the booster.  Then I launched again and tried to fly the booster back to KSC.  First a bootback burn at Ap, then a re-entry burn to limit the speed through the thicker part of the atmosphere then a nail biting suicide landing burn.  

I used MJ to give me altitude and time to suicide burn data.  I'm used to Mun landings and this was scary.  With a mostly empty booster and a Mainsail the burn comes at the last second with a high vertical velocity.  But I pulled it off at the first attempt.  Of course it didn't land AT KSC, but NEAR it.

XOt9G18.png

Edited by KerBlammo
fixed typo: altitude not attitude

I decided that taking two tourists at a time to the Mun was expensive and took a lot of time, so I should upgrade my two-passenger rocket (plus pilot) to an 8-passenger version. That only doubles the upper stage mass, so I should get my throughput up 4x and halve my cost per passenger.

The first test flight proved inconclusive:

NUZ5EJY.png

Had a small cargo spaceplane recover an empty mk. 1 passenger cabin from Kerbin orbit.  Unfortunately my aerobreaking was miscalculated and I ended up at low-altitude over the ocean on a nightside of Kerbin, with not enough fuel to get back to land, let alone KSC.  So I decided to risk my luck against the new hydrodynamic model, and went for an oceanic touchdown.  I managed to get down to a slow enough speed, but a couple of the engines tore off on impact.  Fortunately despite the minor Rapid Unplanned Disassembly, all the individual pieces were intact and could be recovered.  

Mission successful.  

My newest career Asteroid Tug and Orbital mine was a giant success, i made about twenty+ different versions but this one is absolutly superior. I catched right after launch a incoming D-size chunk, braked it down to Kerbin orbit and refilled my Liquidfueltanks, and nearly all my large ore tanks (12)... It can brake down full throttle without the need for excessive RCS, no slinky swinging and whatnot!

3dozExg.png 
rfsc7He.png

I just catched a E-Size chunk, 2000t. 12 Nervas can handle this :D. Good to know how i refuel my ongoing career for interplanetary journeys :wink:.

s80paK5.png

Edited by Mikki