What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

My SSTA continues to drill and convert ore in to fuel on Minmus. Meanwhile back at KSC the design team thought it would be cool to build a small MK1 nuke powered plane. Slapped it together in a few minutes and rolled it out on the runway. Reached the end of the runway at about 50+ m/s, still on the ground. Leaping off the edge it looked briefly like the Wright brother's first flight. Gracefully gliding until it touched the ocean with a huge splash. Every one held their breath until it was obvious the plane survived intact. It now became my first powered boat. Tried to submerge but it was too buoyant. Cruised around a bit before turning back to shore. It pulled up the bank and amazingly gained speed. Cresting the hill I corrected to return to the runway. The thought was enough speed had been gained that it would soar once it hit the ramp at the end of the runway. Instead it exploded. No one was particularly surprised, well maybe a little that the pilot walked away.

Not much. The teams are safe, comfortable and in good spirits. Danvey, Lealian and Lindra are still on Duna. Tandan, Sigrid and Bilfal are on their way to Jool. They finished their burn today. They will of course do a number of coarse correction burns eventually, but it's like a year off. Good thing their rocket is so modern and spacious.

Valentina had a nice fly by of Mun - first trip there and back, with a nice free return orbit (gonna need a bigger rocket to get into orbit). The final return was a bit tedious - only had enough dV to get my PE at Kerbin down to 50 km, so Valentina had to aerobrake in 8 or so passes before finally slowing down enough to stay in Kerbin's atmosphere.

Meanwhile, Jeb exploded a couple of launchers on the pad - trying to get enough science to unlock solar panels and the OCTO probe to start a communications network.

Edited by HorusKol

Failing at SSTO design again.  I've decided to build a "crew training bus" to take new recruits on a small tour in order to train them up.  I figured if I can design a 4-6 seater SSTO capable of landing on the Mun, it can refuel at the base there while the crew are out planting flags, visit Minmus for some more flag planting (and top up the tanks at the base there), and then briefly drop in to a Solar orbit before returning to Kerbin, all for the cost of the initial tank of fuel.

My first attempt at about 20something tonnes with 2 Whiplash and 1 Nerv failed dismally.  It was massively overpowered at low altitude (45 degree climb at 1/3 throttle) and not enough power once the jets flamed out, so I'm hoping the same basic idea with 1 whiplash and 2 nukes might work, but it means significantly more weight, otherwise I guess 2 rapiers and a nuke, but that means carrying oxidiser, I'd only planned to carry enough for the belly mounted Vernor landing engines. 

I could probably use my bigger Rapier powered SSTO, as it's got a lot of cargo bay space that I could fill with extra LFO and a crew cabin, but I really should get the hang of designing/flying SSTO's.  I've got a degree in aeronautical engineering and several hours solo FFS, how hard can it be! :D

11 minutes ago, RizzoTheRat said:

My first attempt at about 20something tonnes with 2 Whiplash and 1 Nerv failed dismally.  It was massively overpowered at low altitude (45 degree climb at 1/3 throttle) and not enough power once the jets flamed out

That sounds like an all right proportion for me. The rocket TWR is low indeed, but that only means it needs an irregular ascent profile. I think if you don't pitch up after firing the nuke, and stay on ~15° AoA, you should reach orbit. Keep in mind that your initial AP shouldn't always reach 70km - if you raise your PE to 70km+, it won't degrade much if you already reached 50-60km. (of course, AP and PE still switches, but you get what I mean.)

If all else fails, you can switch the whiplashes with rapiers. Add just a tiny sip of oxidizer so the hybrids can help the nuke a bit in the circularization.

Edited by Evanitis

Think I got to about 1100m/s on the whiplashes alone before firing up the nuke, but was on a shallower AoA than you suggest as I'd levelled of to build speed, so maybe I was just on too shallow a trajectory when then jets flamed out.  I'll give it another try to see if it my piloting that's at fault rather than my design then. 

Reading Slashy's post here I need to think about intakes too, currently using 2 radial ramps per engine and no idea if that's overkill or not enough.

Tried to make an orbital rocket in RP-0 using tier zero tech and within the 40t base pad limit:

screenshot106.png

Hot staging! The rocket had enough delta-V to do it, but lack of attitude control once out of atmo foiled the attempt. Adding an RCS system and better avionics to add that control would cut into delta_V too much. I may have to give up and get lighter avionics and engines better than Aerobees and A4s.

(Any other RP-0 players spend way too much on KCT simulations?)