[0.23.5] Spherical and Toroidal Tank Pack (Updated 05/02/14) (New download link)

Talisar

They are extremely tough, I have those values dialed up pretty high (Spheres are the strongest shape after all). I may have overdone it a bit though :) Even at these values, i've been able to blow up A LOT of them though

Ok, I made a bit of a mistake with my proposition for the tank dry masses: I forgot that as a tank gets smaller, the required thickness for the same internal pressure also gets smaller, leading to the mass of the tank being directly proportional to the cube of the radius for the same internal pressure.

This time, using the small tank as the basis, with the ratios of 1:1.5:3, I think the masses should be 0.5t, 1.6875t and 13.5t. This improves the mass ratio of the medium tank, but worsens the mass ratio of the large. The resulting ratios will be S:15.22, M:15.222..., L:15.1563 (hmm, I believe some more fuel can be squeezed into the large tank...). Still a nice improvement over the cylindrical tanks, but 48.7775 (current large) is a bit silly in my opinion.

For anyone that wants to check my math:

ri = inner radius

ro = outer radius

Ai = inner area = 4 * pi * ri ** 2

Ar = cross section ring area = pi * (ro ** 2 - ri ** 2)

P = internal pressure

S = tensile strength of material

P * Ai = S * Ar

P * 4 * pi * ri ** 2 = S * pi * (ro ** 2 - ri ** 2)

4 * P / S = (ro ** 2 - ri ** 2) / ri ** 2

ri = ro / sqrt (1 + 4 * P / S)

d = material density

M = shell mass = d * (4/3) * pi * (ro ** 3 - ri ** 3)

M = d * (4/3) * pi * (ro ** 3 - (ro / sqrt (1 + 4 * P / S)) ** 3)

M = d * (4/3) * pi * ro ** 3 * (1 - (1 + 4 * P / S) ** (-3/2))

M = k * ro ** 3

Hmm, I just did some math, and sure enough, the large tank is not as full as it could be: 17280:21120 instead of the current 17200:21022. Better yet, 17280:21120 is exactly 9:11. This time, I used the medium tank as the basis for fuel quantity as its LFO ratio is exactly 9:11.

[edit]Just for completeness, with my suggestions, the masses and ratios would be S:0.5,7.61,15.22 M:1.6875,25.6875,15.222... L:13.5,205.5,15.222... Also, the current mass ratio of the medium tank is 13.

Edited by taniwha

Wow, you've done some serious work on this. Way beyond anything I had even considered tackling. I'll definately take it into account on the next update, and thank you so much for helping me improve this part! It is turning out to be much more popular than I expected.

Yeah, it doesn't play nice with the 2.5m to 1.25m tricoupler from KSPX either

Check the CFG -- a lot of the KSPX stuff is missing the "breakingForce = 200" and "breakingTorque = 200" lines that should be in any 2.5m part. Although that still might not be enough in this case...

Bob's Big Blob, SSTO. It started with a TWR of 0.97, and was up to 4.24 by the time it reached a 75 km orbit, with 2251 m/s delta-V left. There's nothing to do with it, but it sure is ... blobby.

kx8jNHO.png

Edited by danfarnsy
Fixed image link

The pack has been updated with Half-spherical versions of the small and medium tanks, as well as a version of the large tank with an extended centerline ring. I've also added custom radial mounts for adding parts to the tanks. The dry masses of the tanks have been tweaked (thanks taniwha!), and I've updated the alternate texture pack to include the smooth white textures for all of the new parts.

Oh, I also lowered the impact tolerance of the tanks. They're still a bit stronger than the stock tanks, but they aren't quite so hard to destroy now. :)

Edited by Talisar

Love the new tanks. :)

Just a small suggestion:

Could you also make a version of the small tank with 1.25m-sized connection points?

Anything I build with the small fuel tank looks strange, and (at least to me) it appears a bit big to use with small probe parts.

4Ucnw8V.jpg

Edited by Awaras

Talisar: I'm glad to have been of assistance :)

A small problem though: the small tanks match up with 0.625m parts rather than 1.25m (not a bug in the part, just in the description on spaceport).

I've also added custom radial mounts for adding parts to the tanks.

Are you certain they should all weigh 2.5 tons?

Actually, are you certain any of them should weigh 2.5 tons? It's just a connecting shim.

Cool stuff, thanks for the update. Geting it now, btw dont forget to update the first page with pics for the new parts.

I'll update the first post this afternoon. I was too lazy to take screenshots last night :(

Just a small suggestion:

Could you also make a version of the small tank with 1.25m-sized connection points?

Anything I build with the small fuel tank looks strange, and (at least to me) it appears a bit big to use with small probe parts.

I'll give it a shot. I'm not sure how much of a sphere will be left, but we'll see how it turns out.

A small problem though: the small tanks match up with 0.625m parts rather than 1.25m (not a bug in the part, just in the description on spaceport).

Thanks for pointing that out, I'll fix that now

Are you certain they should all weigh 2.5 tons?

Actually, are you certain any of them should weigh 2.5 tons? It's just a connecting shim.

Nope, none of them should be that weighty. I completely skipped over adjusting that when finalizing the cfg. I'll get that fixed as well. I actually made them for the HAB module I'm working on, but since they're pretty much finished I included them in this release at the last minute. They seem to go well with the tanks as well.

Thanks for all the feedback, and keep it coming! Sorry about the need for adjustments each time, this is a bit of a learning experience for me.

Edited by Talisar

I love these tanks, great work Talisar. Just a quick question though: Is there a way to store Kethane in the empty tanks? Sorry if that's a noob questiion :)

Not the way they're set up now, but it could be easily set up in a few minutes just by adjusting the resource in the .cfg file. I can do a set of the tanks for kethane this evening for those who want them.

That would be Great!! These would make awesome kethane tanks!!! Hopefully when you feel like it you'll give them the same green coloration the normal kethane tanks have texture wise. Your original Texture was very close to the texture kethane uses, white with green stripes......

First page has been updated to show all the parts that I have available now, including a set of Kethane tanks. I based the capacity of the kethane tanks off of the large kethane tank that is included with that mod, so I believe the numbers are in the right ballpark, and I changed the piping color to lime green :)

So... How do I get a big fuel orb with extended rim into orbit, without using the fuel contained in it? Is that just impossible?

Twenty orange tanks or so with mainsails in an asparagus should do it. :)

But it's considerably less fiddly to launch two orbs with ten extra tanks each, dock them and get one full in orbit.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.