Bad performance in 0.20?

Stealth2668

I'm having the same slow-down problem, I tried reducing the graphics settings to just about zero and that didn't help noticeably, adjusting the physics tick rate didn't improve my fps but it did kinda help me get rockets up in a reasonable time. Is it possible that I didn't remove my mods correctly? Or maybe its something to do with the OS im using? (Win 7, i think its 64 bit).

For a little more detail, it was only when flying the rocket, the VAB was fine and once I got into orbit it got a bit better, perhaps its something with the aerodynamics or physics systems? I don't really know XD I'm pretty newb-y with computers.

Well i dunno if it was my save files, ships in orbit with mod parts, or what, but after i uninstalled the game, then backed up and deleted the originals of the rest of the data left by the uninstaller, and reinstalled i got better performance than before the patch.

Any ideas how to get my save data back?

Help is appreciated,

Dr. K. Von Braun

If you have the Subassembly Loader mod, it's probably causing a performance problem because KSP 0.20 is no longer loading it properly (and so the game ends up trying to reload it incessantly which you're trying to play). If that's the case, then you can either remove that mod or try out the compatibility patch I've made - http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/30696-0-20-Subassembly-Loader-0-20-Compatibility-Patch

Seems better in some areas, worse in other. Looking toward the horizon in atmosphere or a bit above it still lags for me. It can be avoided by facing the camera straight up. Facing straight down helps too, though not as much, likely due to rendering the ground. None of the graphics options seem to have an affect on it either.

Well, it's nice to know I'm not the only one. However, I have a sneaking suspicion it's all the plug-in related mods I have. I'll probably reinstall the game without them and try again in the morning.

If you have the Subassembly Loader mod, it's probably causing a performance problem because KSP 0.20 is no longer loading it properly (and so the game ends up trying to reload it incessantly which you're trying to play). If that's the case, then you can either remove that mod or try out the compatibility patch I've made - http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/30696-0-20-Subassembly-Loader-0-20-Compatibility-Patch

THIS.

I removed Subassembly loader and now the game works really smooth. Seems that KSP goes into an infinite loop trying to run this mod, once you remove it, the game runs fine. You can switch out command pods in 0.20 anyway, so subassembly loader is quite obsolete.

Thanks so much! removing subassembly loader fixed the issue for me!

did you delete every thing in your game folder? i had the same issue but i cleared local content and redownloaded and its faster than it was in 0.19, must be incompatible mods/plugins slowing it down

How many of you experiencing this issue are also on a laptop with an integrated GFX Card? That's my issue, which can't be readily fixed.

.19 performed okay, and I'm seeing *slightly* better results with .20 (load times most specifically, which was my biggest gripe), but still have to dumb down things tremendously to get something playable. I suffer through it with a quick camera swivel to the sky to avoid Kerbin lag :D

wired, the Intel chipset of those laptops was never designed for gaming, it sucks at anything 3D and especially OpenGL. This is in large part because it offloads all those calculations on the CPU (it has no real GPU) and uses main RAM instead of video RAM which means less RAM for everything else and worse, main RAM is a lot slower than dedicated video RAM.

There's sadly for you no way to resolve that beyond getting another computer with its dedicated graphics chipset and video RAM.

i5-3570, 16 GB RAM, Geforce GTX 660Ti here. And I experience extreme slowdowns all the time. The only reproducible things I can think of are RCS bursts (which always seem to cause slowdowns), and possibly when parts of my rockets clip into the ground.

This is with even the tiniest ship, I get massive slowdowns no matter what. The previous patch version ran smooth as glass for me.

did you delete every thing in your game folder? i had the same issue but i cleared local content and redownloaded and its faster than it was in 0.19, must be incompatible mods/plugins slowing it down

Ya I did a clean install, seems to fix the problem. I also had sub assembly loader which even caused lag in the VAB so I knew shortly afterwards it must be the mods.

Ya I did a clean install, seems to fix the problem. I also had sub assembly loader which even caused lag in the VAB so I knew shortly afterwards it must be the mods.

Same here. I got framerate dips even with rockets that didn't have any mods installed, but deleting all mod folders still fixed the problem. Runs like a dream now.

Don't forget that the mod-loading mechanism changed in this update (it was in one of C7's blogs).

Good for testing/developing a mod (you don't have to reload the whole game to reload your mod part), bad if a mod does a lot of stuff at loading/startup (probably SubAssembly's case).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.