SSTOs! Post your pictures here~

I have been busy... mostly making military SSTO space planes.

I will start with the ASP-1 (Attack Space Plane - 1)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

ASP-3

FSP-1 (Fighter Space Plane)

And yes all of them work quite well, finally I have a more modern looking military air wing for my Space Program.

uSo89LY.png

3wOXcmg.png

dINr6TS.png

ZaTREFq.png

7MPhEUg.png

D67jRcS.png

Using real fuels, stock alike engines, engine ignitor, FAR, B9 parts (deleted all engines), AJE and DR. ONLY STOCK ENGINES.

Yes that is an empty cargo bay.

Edited by TeeGee

lxS91md.png

older version:

9qLIZ0z.png

wYTPhqu.png

PSu8k1o.png

I'm very proud of this craft. FAR, DR, engine ignitor, stockalike rf, real fuels, TAC life support etc. The main engine ignites (kerolox) only once, brings craft up to ~ 1700m/s, oms engines (mnh/n2o2) circularize. Remaining fuels dump in orbit before reentry. Has 7 days worth of life support. Takes very large number of kerbals and supplies up into orbit. I'm planning on using her for rotation of crew and supplies when (if) I get my space station built.

Reentry is a blast thanks to FAR. I retroburn then use aerobraking to glide back to ksc without ANY fuel (just like the space shuttle).

Edited by TeeGee

Sailfin SSTO (capable of landing on and taking off from water)

...on it's mission to laytheT6uqK2Z.png

Landing on the very cloudy nightside (curse you, better atmospheres^^) wasn't planned for the first testflight but worked quiet well... :)

YaT8usP.png

Edited by B.O.B.

And my r.a.p.i.e.r.-equiped Manta heavy VTOL...

jrhf8Na.jpg

...capable of reaching orbit with ~ 4k deltaV left when using jet mode.

Or just lifting medium payloads (tested up to ~20t) to orbit when using rocket mode for the first few kilometers:

aDKdIaQ.jpg"

I just started with ssto aircraft.

This is my pride and joy right now:

2wch3s0.png

Power to weight ratio is massive in this so it takes of nearly vertical from standstill and gets 1400m/s at 25000m height really quickly.

It can easily carry a small probe up to a 200x200 orbit with fuel to spare.

It flies dead straight really stable and even as a jet is really maneuvrable, but not like my F16 that could fly circles around the VAB.

I once missed the runway and could easily glide into the ocean without dying :D

33yp4c3.png

Thanks TeeGee, appreciate.

And here is the last version of Star Series. My Serie of SSTO with Vertical Take off. I don't know if it is in the VTOL denomination. But i think it is.

They are small fighters and transports to orbit and are able to Mun and Minmus trip.

This case is a transport to space, in a cheap way. With Class, Speed and Economy.

This one can do almost 3 orbits and landing without refuel. 2 for sure.

Star Flight 2.0

12701524695_2a214ba444_o.png

12702003444_347ffa7b1e_o.png

12701559675_0f0f8a3b8c_o.png

12707139725_902201404b_o.png

I hope you enjoy it!

:P

Building another big LKO lifter. This time I am messing with more mods.

ELJ4KDr.png

xWOylrq.png

t3ePyT4.png

5q7Pk5y.png

This one is just slapped together. It needs a ton of careful panel aligning as well as reinforcing and stuff, but I wanted to share as I was exited how quickly everything flew together. I started the build not knowing where I was going and was in space in 4 hours!

I'm trying to stick to just wing and fuselage parts as well as utility parts from multiple sources. I want to stay with stock engines. Infernal Robotics is used for the bay doors.

Hi guys! I just wanted to show off my first Cargo SSTO. It's not as fancy or efficient as the other ones in this thread, but I'm still proud of it, especially since it's 100% stock.

It can carry up to 18 tons (or maybe more with good piloting) in the size of a X200-32 fuel tank up to LKO.

I have to questions for you SSTO builders:

- What are the "ethics" that you follow in SSTO building? I've seen some stacked air inlets, and personally i would refrain from such techniques. Do you guys stack air inlets and clip wings inside each other?

- What's a good flight profile for such an SSTO? Currently, I use 45° up to 22 km then level or 15° until terminal velocity and then 45° until space, but I don't know if that's the most efficient path.

Looking forward to comments and Ideas.

So I'm member of this group of dedicated SSTO builders and one of the guys ask for a dropship that can carry 10 kerbals to atleast LKO and drop them. I thought I could do better than a simple dropship so I created a SSTO interplanetary aircraft carrier carrying 10 small jet planes with VTOL capability. Pure stock except MJ and Engineer.

vqFCz8C.png

RXt2jXP.png

Qlk4UB4.png

She looks a bit different now, has vertical fins on wing tips, sas pod is behind crew tank (using connected living space, can't get from cockpit to fuselage with sas pod blocking the way), rcs blocks on fuselage now.

Completely stock SSTO that serves no purpose other than being able to get to orbit. By using the Rapier engine in auto-switching mode, it's a simple case of flying a standard SSTO ascent profile without having to worry about swapping engines etc.

ss01.jpg

It's the one on the left in this shot.

ss02.jpg

ss04.jpg

Personal transportation vehicle.

VTOL, limited range but auxiliary downward facing rockets would enable landing on non-atmospheric bodies. Has a tendency for the nose to dip in the upper atmosphere.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2bq3efvhb9lu4qn/Minbug%201%20NMJ.craft

Requires B9 pack.

1 - downward jets

2 - turbojets

3 - nuke

4 - auxiliary landing jets

9kd1f94.png

Edited by Fellow314