SSTOs! Post your pictures here~

How much cargo do your planes deliver into orbit??

Basically I have a SSTO rocket with turbojets and for a launch mass of 72t brings 26t extra fuel into orbit (1t for deorbit and landing...). And only 79 parts (+whatever is for cargo). Only non stock part is Jebs mechanical brain, and ok I used stretchy tank for cargo. Specs: 8 turbojets with 8 ram intakes and 24 radial intakes, supplemented by 3 LV-T30s

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/eqyu8

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/wim14

Edited by Radam
images not showing

Racist much? Anyway, you came here and essentially accused people of being dishonest: Claiming to have landed planes that they hadn't actually landed. There is absolutely nothing at stake here, no incentive to deceive, just people sharing cool designs of things they've built in a video game. It would be absurdly petty to lie in such a situation, so you've accused a bunch of people of extreme pettiness.

Maybe you were joking, or maybe you just didn't think about how it sounds when you say something like "Then how am I to believe you've landed it?" - certainly your other posts don't make it sound like you're trying to stir up trouble - but there's no reason to expect a good reaction from that.

Speaking of reactions, what did Rune actually say?

This doesn't sound touchy; it sounds indifferent, which is, in my opinion, the appropriate response.

You replied for me with the same sentiment, so +1, basically. :)

What do you mean? Do you know any (space)plane able to fly without wings?

I wanted to make something like Venture Star:

Venturestar1.jpg

Actually its fuselage is a single big wing.

By the way have a look at this mod:

Aerospike Kit v1.1

We can make linear clusters of aerospike engines just like real ones.

I mean because in kerbal space program, making a rocket survive reentry doesn't require a heavy heatshield or a very low density (so your ballistic coefficient lets you brake higher and therefore cooler). And landing it is just a matter of landing legs and a touch of rocket engines a few meters before touchdown, instead of hitting terminal velocities that may very well be supersonic depending on ballistic coefficient. But hey, if you were going for a Venture Star lookalike, then kudos, because the concept is quite cool. I mean, I have also tried my hand at it ;). And you know, now that I think about it more, with the new "recover" routine, being able to glide your way into KSC's vicinity makes precise deorbiting unnecessary, and that is certainly a point in favor of it.

Rune. Is very proud of 99% of this community. You guys (mostly) rock!

Looks like I am out of the action for awhile. Spaceport password. They(or someone) changed it. Did the password retrieval thing, and it didn't work. I did it right. Suspicious because I have a ghost account on there that remains unaffected.

Looks like I am out of the action for awhile. Spaceport password. They(or someone) changed it. Did the password retrieval thing, and it didn't work. I did it right. Suspicious because I have a ghost account on there that remains unaffected.

:(

[email protected]

Maybe tell somebody in charge so they can get your account at least under a temp password you can get in to change?

How much cargo do your planes deliver into orbit??

Basically I have a SSTO rocket with turbojets and for a launch mass of 72t brings 26t extra fuel into orbit (1t for deorbit and landing...). And only 79 parts (+whatever is for cargo). Only non stock part is Jebs mechanical brain, and ok I used stretchy tank for cargo. Specs: 8 turbojets with 8 ram intakes and 24 radial intakes, supplemented by 3 LV-T30s

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/eqyu8

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/wim14

Hey Radam~ I recommend Imgr >> imgur.com << for sharing your images..

I've tried a few times now with the links you have provided and I cannot see the images.

Hey Radam~ I recommend Imgr >> imgur.com << for sharing your images..

I've tried a few times now with the links you have provided and I cannot see the images.

I can see them, but as is the case with just about everything that goes out of its way to include "free" in its name, it took an unreasonable amount of time to actually work (FOUR MINUTES for a single image to download!!!)

Also, the images are clickable, and clicking the first one results in somebody slicing the hell out of a pumpkin off of somebody else's head. I am now unnerved and concerned for the future of the human race.

Also, the images are clickable, and clicking the first one results in somebody slicing the hell out of a pumpkin off of somebody else's head. I am now unnerved and concerned for the future of the human race.

This just gave me a laughing fit.

Im kinda new, has anyone else been making turbojet SSTO rockets?

Oh boy, you are new indeed (no offense meant, I swear it! :)). I have a rule on these forums: no matter what you do, somebody else thought of it before. So NEVER say you have the first whatever in KSP, because a lot of very smart people are wasting copious amounts of times for a long time now on this awesome game. I mean, we had working helicopters in 0.17! My take on VTOL jet SSTO's is in sig anyway, called the Pike in my stock thread. In case you want more inspiration (i.e: putting a jet in the middle so it warns you about flameouts, for example).

As to showcasing SSTO's, it's been a while. Here you go, guys:

XeZZl79.jpg

fIugIph.jpg

The Trident SSTO, not yet released (mostly because I'm lazy and I have a gazillion of SSTOs posted). It's really close to being able to do KeoStationary missions. I mean, I was 160m/s short of a rendezvous on the first test flight, so it might be capable if you airhog like a pro/vent excess liquid fuel/use RCS to finish the insertion/all of the above. More than enough for LKO operations, with seven kerbals and an incredible inherent aerodynamic stability thanks to the big tail.

Rune. I gotta stop building and start flying!

Edited by Rune

I have adapted my SSTO to work well with FAR mod and added a 2.5m SpaceJunk cargo bay in the middle. Already successfully finished two missions delivering kerbals and some equipment to 80km circular orbit space station.

t6a7.th.pnglv29.th.png9pd0.th.pngk2ow.th.pngwhav.th.png

How much does the plane weigh and how many parts?

Empty the SH-301 weighs in just over 55 tons.

Fully loaded, with cargo and fuel, it weighs in at over 90 tons.

Currently working on a larger SSTO cargo hauler. Managed to make a SSTO "bus" that can haul 12 kerbals not including crew into any altitude orbit around Kerbin. That SSTO weighs in at 70 tons loaded.

Oh and that reminds me, the SH-415, my biggest SSTO, is over 180 tons sitting fully loaded, I have YET to put a cargo in it and test. But it is HUGE. I cant remember how many parts though.

Another pic of the SH-415 Bison.

7qzf.jpg

And the SH-301

l9i9.jpg

Edited by Hodo

My previous SSTO, rebuilding nearly fully from scratch... Thought I would show the innards as I was asked about the Air Intakes previously.

Ignore the lift marker, I have no idea why I had it on for the screenshot... Weight marker is what I'm paying attention too.. trying to make it so as it drains the weight stays close to where it is now.

Feel free to share images of attempts to build SSTO's.. or like mine here stripped down versions/in progress builds of SSTO's showing the innards, it does not need to be just in-orbit images.. Anything relating to SSTO's.. post them in this thread. Basically this way it will be a very helpful thread for people in the future trying to learn how to do certain things to check out and learn from what others have done.

tumblr_ms0e6x3yiz1r2k180o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ms0e6x3yiz1r2k180o2_1280.jpg

Blended Wing Body's are the most fun... you can hide all sorts of goodies inside : J

tumblr_ms0bpu135S1r2k180o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ms0bpu135S1r2k180o2_1280.jpg

Both are failed SSTO's... they looked nice though.

Hmmmmmm, blended wings eh? An airhogging blended wing! THAT'S what I'll try!