[0.22] Extraplanetary Launchpads Legacy Thread

skykooler

How is that a Kethane Bug? O.o

It's a Kethane bug. EL parts for mining and resource processing use Kethane modules, and that includes animations for detectors. I've fixed this but it's not yet in the public release, I don't think. It'll be fixed when the next Kethane update hits, which is probably going to be when KSP 0.22 is released (but possibly earlier).

It's a Kethane bug. EL parts for mining and resource processing use Kethane modules, and that includes animations for detectors. I've fixed this but it's not yet in the public release, I don't think. It'll be fixed when the next Kethane update hits, which is probably going to be when KSP 0.22 is released (but possibly earlier).

Ah. Did not know it was using your animation modules. I assumed it did not as your detectors do not have that issue.

Ah. Did not know it was using your animation modules. I assumed it did not as your detectors do not have that issue.

Kethane detectors use a different animation module (which points the detector head toward the body). EL's detectors use a deploy/retract/running animator similar to the drills.

This would not be such an issue if I didn't hope to use fairings to make my payload resemble something aerodynamic. If anyone has ideas that could help to remedy this I would be very grateful.

Procedural Fairings has a hotkey for locking the size of the fairing regardless of what's inside. The bug doesn't show up in the flight scene so it'll just look a little odd in the VAB. You can find the hotkey in the PF thread, I think.

Kethane detectors use a different animation module (which points the detector head toward the body). EL's detectors use a deploy/retract/running animator similar to the drills.

Ok but that still doesn't explain my confusion. If they use the same module then wouldn't your parts be bugged too?

Ok but that still doesn't explain my confusion. If they use the same module then wouldn't your parts be bugged too?

Like I said, they use a different animation module. (Parts can have multiple modules, so they share the detector module but have different animators.) The extractor animator is a different module for historical reasons (it used to handle particle effects) but in principle it could be merged with the detector animator. (The animator EL uses was actually built specifically for EL, which is why it's been a bit buggy; it wasn't well-tested on Kethane parts prior to release.)

The important part is I know why it's broken and the fix has been in my repository for a while now. It'll be included with the next release, whichever that happens to be.

Do you have the latest Kethane? I believe Majiir fixed this bug.

I am running Kethane 0.7.7, although in the Kethane changelog there is mention of the extractor animations being optional. Does anyone know if I can simply disable the animations for the OMD also?

Kethane 0.7.7 has been released. The download link on the first post has been updated.

This update contains fixes and minor API improvements. This update is only compatible with versions 0.6 through 0.7.6.

Changes in this version:

• Reverted an accidental change to the KE-C090 which combined its LiquidFuel and Oxidizer converters.
  • InstallChecker now matches Kethane plugins by name, not assembly, so it will detect old versions.
  • Fixed KethaneDetectorAnimatorUnity not playing the retract or running animations.
  • Extractor animators are now optional. If an extractor has no animator, it will deploy and retract instantly with no animations.
  • Removed KethaneExtractorAnimatorLanded.
  • IExtractorAnimator is now public.

Nonetheless I am using pfairings and will look for that hotkey, thank you Majiir for mentioning that.

Thanks to everyone for your help and input!

Does anyone know if I can simply disable the animations for the OMD also?

Detector animators have always been optional, so you can remove the animation module from the OMD part config and it will function fine as a detector.

I have an idiot question here. Since the smelter is a hexagonal shape, but oddball attach points that make it a nightmare to build on, why not make the 2 odd shaped parts that make metal out of ore and rocket parts out of metals out of the Hexcans plugin? Since Hexcans has permission to use in other plugins, some simple retexturing work could be done to make them servicable.

The thread subject says 'ore scanner' but there is nothing in the op about that. Is there a post in here that elaborates?

It came out in 3.1, which Taniwha put out with Skykooler's permission. It's also in 3.2

You need to OPEN the launchpad before you start using it.

And BTW, still not had any response on the question I had, about just making a couple of Hexcans for the processing facilities, since there is a major headache getting the rest of it to the surface

teuchito: did you create your save and then later rename it by renaming the directory? I'm not sure in which version I fixed it, but EL used to infer the save directory from the save name stored in the persistence file.

Srilania: first, that's a modeling issue (or just config tweak issue) and I'm busy with some coding stuff. Second, you can build the auger and smelter (in one unit) on-site (just carry metal or parts). That leaves getting the pad, workshop, parts storage and metal to the destination. I did it with 8.1t of metal and a single large parts hexcan (empty). I first built a small hemisphere parts storage so I could build a medium, then I had enough storage to build a small smelter+auger unit, all for 7.3t of parts.

teuchito: did you create your save and then later rename it by renaming the directory? I'm not sure in which version I fixed it, but EL used to infer the save directory from the save name stored in the persistence file.

Srilania: first, that's a modeling issue (or just config tweak issue) and I'm busy with some coding stuff. Second, you can build the auger and smelter (in one unit) on-site (just carry metal or parts). That leaves getting the pad, workshop, parts storage and metal to the destination. I did it with 8.1t of metal and a single large parts hexcan (empty). I first built a small hemisphere parts storage so I could build a medium, then I had enough storage to build a small smelter+auger unit, all for 7.3t of parts.

How do you get the smelter off the pad when you build it? Do you use a crane or attach wheels to it? It seems that everything of any size that I build on the launchpad2 with wheels gets high centered and just pushes the launchpad around or can't move at all.

Edited by Commander Gizmo

I dragged it off using a KAS winch. Also, I've had no trouble with wheels since what became 3.2. Do note that the RBI tracks do not work on a pad (at least not on the hooligan labs pad).

I suppose I should do some testing with the EL pad(s).

I dragged it off using a KAS winch. Also, I've had no trouble with wheels since what became 3.2. Do note that the RBI tracks do not work on a pad (at least not on the hooligan labs pad).

I suppose I should do some testing with the EL pad(s).

When I try and drag things off the launchpad2 just gets tossed around like one of grandma's pancakes. Which one is the hooligan labs pad? is that the large white one?

No, it's the largish black and yellow one available here. The pad can be a little awkward to get into orbit, but it's quite nice (very low: RollKage wheels have little trouble getting on it on Minmus). Its lightness can be a problem sometimes, but I had no trouble dragging stuff off it until I could build a crane.

I note the new version of KAS has ground pylons and deployable struts in EVA - one of the issues I've seen in demos of this mod is the launchpad moving around when bumped, so nailing it down with pylons sounds like a plan.

So I gave up landing the rocket parts containers with my launchpad and after a few dozen designs i came up withthe Mythril towers.

Connecting with KAS systems, each tower holds 1355 units of Metal feeding into 4250 units of Rocket parts.

QFrb2Gr.png

I am designing a power generator platform next. basically a stack of batts with kethane powergenerator and dolar cells.

What luck has everyone had with the KAS system and the lp??

Alacrity

Well, I have been trying to dope out a way to make the hexcans do what I am talking about, but so far, it all fails, so there is something I am missing on determinging how to pull it into a coherent setup, as the current models are a bit hard to launch up, and every mobile launchpad I send down winds up not having enough parts, or when having enough parts, crashes badly.

Srilania: you are trying too hard. Why ship parts when you can ship metal, a pad, a workshop, and just enough parts storage to build larger parts storage?

One large parts hexcan -> 1 small parts hemisphere.

Above -> 1 medium parts hemisphere (enough storage for the small smelter and auger).

Above (3 storage parts) -> 1 medium parts sphere.

You can now build most anything you will need to build a base, including a large parts sphere (storage for 96t of parts!).

I did the above with a seed of 8.1t of metal (7.3t of parts).