[1.11.x] RCS Build Aid v1.0.6

m4v

The engine probably has a CoM offset which will put its mass closer to the center of the tank. If it's not applying consistently in flight and in the editor though, then that's a bug.

Argh, of course! How could I forget about that? Thanks for the correction.

Edited by pellinor

• 3 weeks later...

Erm I'm having a problem.

6etM1c5.png

See that RCS build aid is telling me that my mass is smaller when I'm full of fuel even though there isn't any fuel in it and every other mod is saying that the 5.5t wet and dry, which is correct because there's no fuel in it.

The causes RCS build aid to be useless for its intended propose it seems to happen with all of the Mark IV Spaceplane System parts.

Edited by etheoma

@etheoma: I downloaded the MKIV spaceplane mod (2.0) and the cockpit weights 7.54t, not the 5.5t you have here, so I believe there are more mods playing a part, right?. Still is indeed strange to see wet mass < dry mass, can you put an screenshot of RCSBA's resources tab?

edit:

I do see issues with the parts that can be switched via context menu, although in my case stock's mass readings are wrong as well.

Edited by m4v

Erm I'm having a problem.

See that RCS build aid is telling me that my mass is smaller when I'm full of fuel even though there isn't any fuel in it and every other mod is saying that the 5.5t wet and dry, which is correct because there's no fuel in it.

The causes RCS build aid to be useless for its intended propose it seems to happen with all of the Mark IV Spaceplane System parts.

I can confirm this problem. I have seen it happen very often both in SPH and VAB. Wet mass appears lower than dry mass. I suspect this could be related to fuel adjustment done on tanks. When all set to full, weight was displayed correctly but as soon as I started scaling them down, weird value started showing. Note that in my case, only stock part were used...

I can confirm this problem. I have seen it happen very often both in SPH and VAB. Wet mass appears lower than dry mass. I suspect this could be related to fuel adjustment done on tanks. When all set to full, weight was displayed correctly but as soon as I started scaling them down, weird value started showing. Note that in my case, only stock part were used...

I assume you are also using real fuels right? because after lunching and coming back the the VAB it seems to be happening with stock parts to me also.

I assume you are also using real fuels right? because after lunching and coming back the the VAB it seems to be happening with stock parts to me also.

No Etheoma. I do not use real fuels mods. I do have a bunch installed mostly common ones (FAR, DRE, Real Chute, MechJeb, KER, KIS, KAS, KAX, KCT, etc., (haha, all acronyms that only a KSP moder can understand :wink:). I could not pinpoint exactly what is wrong with RCS Building Aid... Like I said I suspect fuel tweaking.

Edited by Galenmacil

This update should fix RCSBA with RealFuels, however Mk4 parts (without RealFuels mod) will continue giving wrong readings. Mk4's GetModuleMass methods return the part's mass instead of zero, so its mass is counted twice by RCSBA (and by EngineerReport as well), KER is unaffected because apparently it ignores all IPartMassModifier implementations except in stock fairings.

I don't know if all that mass juggling that RealFuels does is for get both KER and Stock to give correct values or to workaround another issue, but I'm going to stick to Stock way of counting mass.

Anyway, I'm releasing with minimal testing, if something else broke and you aren't using RealFuels return to 0.7.2.

Version 0.7.3
-------------
* Add LICENSE file.
* FIX: reduce arrow flickering when dragging the vessel.
* FIX: RealFuels black magic.

RealFuels should, by the spec of the IPartMassModifier interface, return the mass delta between the prefab mass and the current part mass (absent resource mass of course). Please tell me if it is not doing so.

I see, I was not aware of that.

I sincerely apologize if this has been asked - I have a feeling it may have been, but I got impatient after umpteen pages.

Is there a simple change which could be made to this (absolutely invaluable) mod which would allow viewing these menus / gizmos in-flight?

I don't feel the urge to dive headlong into modding ksp just to achieve this, (could I, given the included source?) but darn it would be handy for tuning RCS performance as mass changes.

I end up with a lot of last minute - "I dunno, panic?!" - RCS kerfuffles, thanks to the dissociative-disorder camera angles and shifting mass.

I try to tune performance in VAB based on how much fuel I think I'll have when I need RCS most, but it's more guesswork than I'd like to admit, and my preference for tiny utility craft gives any com-shift a huge impact.

Bit cheaty perhaps depending on your perspective about the realistic technological requisites of a spacefaring people but it would make a welcome addition to the mod, in this fan's humble opinion.

@m4v, in any event, a huge personal thank-you for your contribution to the ksp community!

Edited by SpryFox

I sincerely apologize if this has been asked - I have a feeling it may have been, but I got impatient after umpteen pages.

Is there a simple change which could be made to this (absolutely invaluable) mod which would allow viewing these menus / gizmos in-flight?

RCSBA is coded with the assumption that is running in an editor scene, so changing a few lines of code won't get it to work in flight. But you aren't the first to ask for that feature, maybe after the nth request I'll have to comply.

Thanks for the fast reply! Given how robust the mod support is in ksp, it seemed worth asking. I have enough programming experience to recognize what an amazing job they did exposing so much freedom to modders. And the cynic in me recognizes how effectively they outsourced essential features (like this one) to the fanbase. ;)

Hi, I've been using RCS build Aid very happily to balance my rcs thrusts. Thanks for your efforts :)

After I installed new RealFuels v10.8 in KSP 1.0.5, it doesn't show its thrust or torque anymore.
Its mass and CoM might be correct.
Although I installed lots of mods, it showed correctly before I install the RealFuels.
I hope you can check this with this screenshot.

Thank you again!

[url]http://i.imgur.com/pVsPxTU.png[/url]

-- Edited --

When I restarted KSP, It became normal.
I'm sorry about this without any logs

Anyway thanks for this mod Edited by ThomasJun
problem sovled

I tried both 0.7.2 and 0.7.3 and I get a UI lockup for the Launch and Leave buttons in the VAB / SPH. I made a fresh install of KSP and also have no other mods.

Edit: I think I found the problem. I put my mods in a Mods subfolder in GameData, but the settings.cfg file lookup is hardcoded to a specific subfolder within GameData. When I moved the mod back to GameData, everything started behaving like expected.

Edited by EmperorCookie

23 hours ago, EmperorCookie said:

I tried both 0.7.2 and 0.7.3 and I get a UI lockup for the Launch and Leave buttons in the VAB / SPH. I made a fresh install of KSP and also have no other mods.

Edit: I think I found the problem. I put my mods in a Mods subfolder in GameData, but the settings.cfg file lookup is hardcoded to a specific subfolder within GameData. When I moved the mod back to GameData, everything started behaving like expected.

You should install all your mods where they are expected to be if you want to avoid that sort of problem.

Version 0.7.4
-------------
* FIX: gimbal of Vector engine now points the right direction.
* FIX: RCS were not working with gimbals if set.
* FIX: marker forces were disabled if root part was removed and placed again.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.