The Terabyte Space Marathon

Welcome to the First Annual Terabyte Space Marathon!

This is a marathon where you will complete a simple task: Land on Eve, Lift off, Land on Moho, Lift off again, Land back on Eve, Lift off, and reach Kerbin again :cool:.

RULES

1. Refueling Station are allowed to be launched to orbit the planets Eve and Moho before you launch your Marathon Spacecraft.

2. I think most mods should be allowed, except for mods that give you teleportation, auto-pilot, etc. Please tell me if you think of any mods that shouldn't be allowed. I'm taking the suggestion of no Orion Engines mod. They seem too OP for this challenge to be fair.

3. Screenshots or videos MUST be included in your entry as proof that you really made it to the planets you need to get to.

4. Launch MUST start from the default Kerbin launchpad. Someone found a loophole around this and I just wanted to specify that I want the launch to happen from the Kerbin Launchpad.

Other rules will be added soon, and feel free to suggest rules yourself.

EDIT: I'm glad this challenge got as much attention as it has! Superseaslug had the idea of orbiting drop tanks, which I quite like.

Edited by TerabyteSPAAACE

Yeah, your gonna have to show us it can be done because currently without Hooligans airships it pretty impossible to have an eve SSTO. and landing it 2 times on Eve and moho is kinda like saying "BUILD A REAL LIFE ROCKET FIRST TO LAND ON THE MOON WINS!!"

I suggest the following rules:

must be done without the use of oxidizer

no struts of any kind

no parachutes

must be manned, and all kerbals must be on eva for the entire duration (no not in external seats, just floating nearby)

planetary transfers must be done by way of a close flyby of eeloo

I suggest the following rules:

must be done without the use of oxidizer

no struts of any kind

no parachutes

must be manned, and all kerbals must be on eva for the entire duration (no not in external seats, just floating nearby)

planetary transfers must be done by way of a close flyby of eeloo

Impossible

Not necessarily. If your drop tanks are done by way of docking ports and action groups instead of decouplers and staging, you could have new drop tanks ready in orbit and install them with an RCS tug. not completely impossible.

I do actually believe it would be possible.

Not necessarily. If your drop tanks are done by way of docking ports and action groups instead of decouplers and staging, you could have new drop tanks ready in orbit and install them with an RCS tug. not completely impossible.

I do actually believe it would be possible.

By God, we've got a genius on our hands!

My Eve return lander with FAR installed was over 200 tones. If you were to land it twice it would be about 400 tones of payload. Transfer to Moho will require a crap load of DV. I'd say such a ship would weigh in excess of 1000 tones at least.

So I've been making an SSTO using a slightly tweaked version of the large hybrid Ion engine included in the Hybrid Electric Pack. I tweaked the power output of the large engine to be more in line balance wise with the large nuclear engine out of KSPX pack. So the power is now 120, after adding all the solar stuff to bring the electric requirement up I'm seeing similar dV's to the nuclear engines. My question is - can I use this to try the challenge? I haven't actually tested on Eve yet but I can get into LKO with a shred of fuel left.

If I'm allowed to use it for the challenge I'm going to re-design it with Superseaslug's idea, using replaceable drop-tanks.

So I've been making an SSTO using a slightly tweaked version of the large hybrid Ion engine included in the Hybrid Electric Pack. I tweaked the power output of the large engine to be more in line balance wise with the large nuclear engine out of KSPX pack. So the power is now 120, after adding all the solar stuff to bring the electric requirement up I'm seeing similar dV's to the nuclear engines. My question is - can I use this to try the challenge? I haven't actually tested on Eve yet but I can get into LKO with a shred of fuel left.

If I'm allowed to use it for the challenge I'm going to re-design it with Superseaslug's idea, using replaceable drop-tanks.

I think that would be fine. Be sure to post pictures, and we'll see you on Eve! :D

I see the excuse (Which I understand IS a rule, yes I get it) of "WHere you're attempt, OP?" all the time. and Every time I see this, I think those people are just too afraid to try. I have an ssto that can take off from eve. As soon as I get home from work I'll be starting this mission to show it's possible. Quit making excuses on why not to try it, and just admit you don't know how to do it. I don't think every challenge needs to be proven by the OP first; that just gives away clues on how to build. And for the record, the OP never said the eve lander had to be SSTO. if you can refuel, or have drop tanks, I'm sure it's allowed to dock new launch stages to land with for takeoff at a later time. Think outside the box people.

and I have all sorts of other magical engines that would totally do this entire thing single stage.

The engine I'm using isn't magical. I carefully balanced it to be in line with the large nuclear engine from KSPX. It's slightly lighter but once you've added solar panels to make it work it's the same. I'm only doing it because I feel it would be a good test of this craft I've built.

If you wanna do it with a magical engine go ahead, as long as you take pics :P It's in the spirit of KSP imo

The engine I'm using isn't magical. I carefully balanced it to be in line with the large nuclear engine from KSPX. It's slightly lighter but once you've added solar panels to make it work it's the same. I'm only doing it because I feel it would be a good test of this craft I've built.

If you wanna do it with a magical engine go ahead, as long as you take pics :P It's in the spirit of KSP imo

except it has nuclear engine ISP in atmosphere, which is at least 2x better than any other engine that works on Eve. And you only increased its thrust by 140%. Totally balanced.

P.S. it is magical because there is no such a thing is a hybrid ion chemical engine in real world.

Edited by 1096bimu

It still has 20% less thrust than a nuke engine and the 40 electric/sec making it difficult to incorporate into designs. I think all these trade off against one another to the point where I still can't justify using the ion engine for interplanetary stuff over the nuke. Didn't use it at all before because it simply wasn't balanced enough to be useful - making the game more fun.

Why don't you do the same and we'll race to get this challenge done? or better yet as we've got a bit of wiggle room, build something epic.

Edited by Alfondoo

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.