[1.2] Procedural Fairings 3.20 (November 8)

e-dog

Here are some new textures for the fairings; they're designed to blend in with StretchyTanks (and my new textures for ST).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qrgcs9fhmz3pq6l/PFTextures.zip

Examples:

awXxzEel.png

US Style

JLSjg7Hl.png

German style

PX7Alcql.png

Stretchy Tanks "stock" style (needs a normal map on the fairings--ohai e-dog...)

IK08rLLl.png

Stretchy Tanks style. (Sorry about the stretching...it's how PF works.)

As I said in the notes above, I wish there _were_ normal maps for procedural fairings models, but there aren't. And that's something that can only happen if e-dog re-exports with the normal map on, I think, or hacks the code to force on a normal map (like ST does).

(It's sure possible--the custom fairings KOSMOS uses have normal maps. But they use different meshes.)

I'm having an issue getting the fairings to render in the VAB and on the launchpad. I'm running PF 2.4.1, otherwise vanilla KSP 0.21

A quick description of problem:

- fairings and bases appear under aero tab

- I have correctly placed base with payload atop it

- When attaching fairing OR fuselage, no wireframe rendering occurs, nor does it occur after loading the craft to launchpad

- I have also noticed that, when using the inline adapters, mouse-over + 'R' does not allow me to change base radius.

Screenshot with un-rendered fairing bits attached to base that I more or less stuck on a space station core: http://imgur.com/7PfRiQp

I copied Keramzit folder to KSP/Gamedata, and proceduralfairings.dll is located in this folder (gamedata/keramzit/procedural fairings).

Lastly, debug shows no red/orange errors, just a spammed yellow warning about the patcher not being downloaded.

Thanks for any advice y'all can offer.

As I said in the notes above, I wish there _were_ normal maps for procedural fairings models, but there aren't. And that's something that can only happen if e-dog re-exports with the normal map on, I think, or hacks the code to force on a normal map (like ST does).

(It's sure possible--the custom fairings KOSMOS uses have normal maps. But they use different meshes.)

KOSMOS author asked me to reexport with bump shaders, so you may just get those meshes and replace textures on them in cfg.

Any plan on radius-adjustable fairing bases? I mean those white ones. Right now only that dark one (interstage fairing base) is radius-adjustable... and that one is not very good at making fairings for top-mounted payload IMHO...

- When attaching fairing OR fuselage, no wireframe rendering occurs, nor does it occur after loading the craft to launchpad

- I have also noticed that, when using the inline adapters, mouse-over + 'R' does not allow me to change base radius.

Does it render blue wireframe when you have payload attached to the fairing base, but have no side fairings/fuselage attached?

If not, it looks like plugin DLL doesn't work for some reason. Check KSP.log and/or KSP_Data/output_log.txt for messages about ProceduralFairings.

What OS are you running?

Any plan on radius-adjustable fairing bases? I mean those white ones. Right now only that dark one (interstage fairing base) is radius-adjustable... and that one is not very good at making fairings for top-mounted payload IMHO...

Yes, that's planned.

e-dog: Right. Saw them, drooled. I didn't use them because I thought they were KOSMOS's own, and thus locked down tight. If they're yours (and SA) I'll switch over to them right away.

Also, any hope of adjusting node size on rescale? Should only be a few more lines, in updateShape(), something like node.size = Math.Round(baseRadius / 0.625,0) for each top/bottom, and topRadius/0.625 for top1.

That's still needed for FAR compatibility.

(It's currently causing my PF-made RVs to reenter rear-first...bad.)

1. Ah, cool!

2. Long as you obey "center of pressure go BEHIND center of mass, grasshopper" I've never had problems. (Leave nothing attached to your RV; flip it upside down in VAB; check blue vs yellow).

Although the drag of various reentry vehicles seems strange, (like the Mk1 having way higher Cd than Mk1-2 with shield) but I think all that will finally get fixed when ferram updates to the new section-based code. Let alone the weirdness of faired RVs!

Anyone have a hotfix for 0.22?
It should work, shouldn't it?

Unless otherwise stated, Everything should work for .22. If you want parts to show up in the Research nodes, that will take a quick cfg edit.

Personally, I just tossed it all under the first Aerodynamics node. But I suppose one of the rocketry nodes might be better suited.

In my opinion, the fairings should be available in whatever tab the first aerodynamic cone is available.

Yeah, I've also considered putting larger bases under advanced construction or whatever that's called where there is 2.5m decoupler and other structural stuff. And interstage adapter in later tiers.

Also, in theory it's possible to zero out drag of the payload inside fairings and then restore it when fairings are ejected. That is, without FAR, with stock aerodynamics. Is anyone interested in this feature?

also, in theory it's possible to zero out drag of the payload inside fairings and then restore it when fairings are ejected. That is, without far, with stock aerodynamics. Is anyone interested in this feature?

GOSH yes! :)

Also, in theory it's possible to zero out drag of the payload inside fairings and then restore it when fairings are ejected. That is, without FAR, with stock aerodynamics. Is anyone interested in this feature?

Count me in for this!