[1.0.5] TAC Life Support v0.11.2.1 [12Dec]

TaranisElsu

Just cannot extract that fix. Downloaded the zip-file (for Win) twice. Have tried OS zip extractor and 7-zip with no luck.

You must be downloading it in some weird way. I haven't had a single issue in Chrome with the archive.

Is it just me or does this mod make KSP really difficult and unrewarding? The "build a colony on x planet" contracts do not seem to even cover half the cost involved in getting them self-sufficient nor does the science reward feel worth all the 3+ launch effort of a MKS/OKS.... Maybe I'm doing something wrong, are their easier ways to help Kerbals survive without a full on station?

If there were an easy, cost-effective way of providing self-sustaining stations, I wouldn't have installed this mod in the first place. The point of the mod is to make the game difficult and more accurate to real world spaceflight.

KSP is a simulation. The only "difficulty" is what goals you set for yourself.

That aside, when i played this in .25, i had no trouble keeping myself flush in later tech advancements. So I have to do a few areal surveys to launch a multi million kredit station... so what?

Aah yeah, I guess you are right. I think I'm just spoilt with things like ScanSat/Karbonite where you actually get extra features for using them where this mod removes features but adds difficulty. I think I will switch back since I love progressing up the tech tree/exploring more than spending hours on a single mission/station that will ultimately lag.

Aah yeah, I guess you are right. I think I'm just spoilt with things like ScanSat/Karbonite where you actually get extra features for using them where this mod removes features but adds difficulty. I think I will switch back since I love progressing up the tech tree/exploring more than spending hours on a single mission/station that will ultimately lag.

What do you mean?

TAC Lifesupport add features toi the game.

It adds the feature that Kerbals can die from several causes (like Grav-Shock, lack of O2, Food, Water, Heat) and it adds the capability to prevent this (via supply containers)

What do you mean?

TAC Lifesupport add features toi the game.

It adds the feature that Kerbals can die from several causes (like Grav-Shock, lack of O2, Food, Water, Heat) and it adds the capability to prevent this (via supply containers)

Compared to vanilla I mean, vanilla they survive indefinitely which this mod removes, maybe I'm thinking of it wrong but to me it feels like the only thing it adds is difficulty which I don't really enjoy. I, personally, think it's challenge is quite balanced already.

Compared to vanilla I mean, vanilla they survive indefinitely which this mod removes, maybe I'm thinking of it wrong but to me it feels like the only thing it adds is difficulty which I don't really enjoy. I, personally, think it's challenge is quite balanced already.

once u put a few thousands launches behind u your thoughts on that greatly change. tac dont make it much harder it just makes u think a bit. out of a good 300hours using tac ive never had anyone starve or die due to oxygen loss but for the old no resouces on eva bug.

Well, that is precisely why this is a mod. So those who enjoy the extra challenge can play with it, and those who doesn't like realism can just not use it.

In anycase...waiting for official update to 0.90. Can't start a new career before this and EL, and tool bar got updated.

Is it just me or does this mod make KSP really difficult and unrewarding? The "build a colony on x planet" contracts do not seem to even cover half the cost involved in getting them self-sufficient nor does the science reward feel worth all the 3+ launch effort of a MKS/OKS.... Maybe I'm doing something wrong, are their easier ways to help Kerbals survive without a full on station?
If it's a stock contract, just send a stack of supplies. Simple and often not all that heavy. If it's a mod contract that's another matter, it might require operating recyclers. So check the details.

Absence of something is not a feature.

So your problem is that this mod does exactly what it says it will do. Great.

You are right, this mod adds difficulty. At least it adds many technical planning parameters which you have to take into account on long duration manned missions. Somebody likes that it is interesting engineering challenge and others like that it is difficult and boring stuff. If you do not like, it is better that you simply do not use this mod. But I feel that new version of KSP is severely defective before this great mod has been updated.

This is by far my longest KSP game with no LS related deaths lmao =)

I really miss TACLS....dont think my kerbals feel the same......

Hope its not giving ya to much hell TAC, thank you so much for continuing to keep this mod updated....I know Im not alone when I say TACLS is on my 'must have' list.

In anycase...waiting for official update to 0.90. Can't start a new career before this and EL, and tool bar got updated.

Similar here ... at the moment I am just playing a little around with the new version ...

I´ll only start a "real career" in 0.90, when TAC LS (as last mod after KER, Deadly Reentry, FAR and Procedural Fairings) has reached complete 0.90 readiness

TAC Life Support I certainly would not recommend to any newer / lower skill players, but for players who have played a lot of KSP and mastered interceptions, docking etc, I think TAC Life Support adds a *lot* to the game mechanics that is sorely needed. For example, orbital bases and landed bases especially, they are extremely easy to the point of boring/abusable, because with the giant base contract combined with the many subsequent 'collect science' 'plant flag' contracts to come, bases are incredibly valuable without providing any serious difficulty (in fact, standard landers are typically much more difficult, because they tend to require engineering for a return trip, while bases tend to be just left in place). Not only does TAC Life Support add the difficult to justify the massive value, but it also gives much more reason to create bigger, more complex bases with actual functions, as the bases now either need to receive food from KSC, or they need to be self-sufficient to produce their own food (ala Kolonization mod).

Mods like TAC Life Support and RemoteTech2, both of which make the game significantly harder, also led to some of my proudest most creative missions I have ever made, that is why I love these mods.

To quote one of the KSP devs, as he learned from an influential music teacher, "Restriction is where creativity is born. Give yourself endless freedom, and you won't know what to do with it. Set yourself up with constraints, and you'll see where creativity really comes from."

Edited by TThor

Been curious how this would work with rescue missions (where there is a Kerbal orbiting in EVA). Will they have enough life support to keep them alive in order to launch a rocket and recover them?

I just did two of those and I had plenty of headroom with life support. As long as you don't do to many orbits before rendezvous, life support shouldn't be an issue.

Edit: Apparently life support calculations don't start until within physics range.

Edited by asheft

Been curious how this would work with rescue missions (where there is a Kerbal orbiting in EVA). Will they have enough life support to keep them alive in order to launch a rocket and recover them?

I thought I read somewhere that this could be problematic at times - but, when I did one of those missions myself (with TAC installed in 0.25, anyway), no one died - until reentry, that is. Oops.

I'm fairly certain that the game won't start the 'life support clock' on an adrift Kerbal until you get within physics loading range. So it can be up there for a few weeks or months, however long the contract is good for. Just don't get within physics loading range and then leave the Kerbal up there without bringing it home.

According to this comment, Kerbals don't start using resources until you get within 2.5km of them, once you get that close and they load, the kerbal then has 2 hours until they suffocate

I am going to wait for the official 0.9 release though, because I have so many mods I want to use, and if one of them breaks , it would be a pain to figure out if it is just due to incompatibility with 0.90, or it doesn't play nice with other mods, or something else and I would have to dig through the forum to find the answer. Having all of them officially updated to 0.90 compatible would let me know the mods are just probably behave wrongly due to something else instead of compatibility.

But that is just me.

What is your modlist and settings?

Working flawlessly here with these few Mods and default TAC LS settings (re-spawn disabled) :

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157

[C:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Kerbal Space Program\MODS]

1_FLAG MadKerbal

1_KSP-AVC-1.1.5.0

1_ModuleManager-2.5.4

1_Toolbar-1.7.7

Chatterer_v0.8.0

Athlonic_Electronics_LCD_-_Launch_CountDown-1.7.3

DeadlyReentry_v6.4.0

Distant_Object_Enhancement_bis-1.4.2

StageRecovery-1.5.2.1_2

TacLifeSupport_0.10.1.1320

TweakableEverything-1.6

KerbalEngineer-1.0.13.1

Romfarer_LazorDockingCam_v35

Magic_Smoke_Industries_Infernal_Robotics-0.19.3

SurfaceLights

ProcFairings_3.11

RealChute_Parachute_Systems-1.2.6.1

KAS_0.4.10

DMagic_Orbital_Science-0.9.1

KerbalAlarmClock_3.0.6.0

NavUtilites-0.5_RC_3

TweakScale_-_Rescale_Everything-v1.49_2014-12-18_1103_UTC

MechJeb2-2.4.1.0-366

Collision_FX-2.1

RemoteTech_build-1.6.0-164

SCANsat_v9rc4

RCSBuildAid_v0.5.4

Ferram_Aerospace_Research-v0.14.5.1

Ship_Manifest-ShipManifest.90.0.3.3.3

KSPAlternateResourcePanel_2.6.2.0

PlanetShine-0.2.2.1

2_CommunityResourcePack

DangIt-0.5.3.2

TextureReplacer-2.1.2

USI_ALLMODS_2014.12.16

x86-Aggressive-Release (ActiveTextureManagement) otherwise the game would crash ^^

FASA_Launch_Clamps_and_Towers-5.00

QuickScroll-v0.10

Contract_Window-2.2

ActiveStruts_1.1

Final_Frontier-0.5.13-302

KerbalFlightDataR15

KerbalFlightIndicatorsR9

Edited by Athlonic