Kerbin Mini Shuttle

helldiver

*retrieves jaw from floor*

This thing may be the most amazing single mod I have ever seen. If/When I fly one, hopefully that will prove itself.

Excellent work, helldiver and Nazari.

Just make sure engine pitch trim is 14.

Will there be a version of the shuttle that is mounted on top of the orange tank? I love shuttles as re-entry vehicles, but since I cannot fly without mechjeb I can't really use them for normal activity. The top-mounted shuttle would deal with that problem.

Will there be a version of the shuttle that is mounted on top of the orange tank? I love shuttles as re-entry vehicles, but since I cannot fly without mechjeb I can't really use them for normal activity. The top-mounted shuttle would deal with that problem.

It wouldn't. It would be a disaster. It's balanced the way you see it. Trust me, if I can fly it, you can fly it. Also, it's my understanding it will support MechJeb. Trust me when I say it's Helldiver proof.

Now repeat after me: I will make sure Pitch Trim is set to 14 for each main engine before launch.

If 1 was impossible, and 10 was "I win button", the shuttle right now is about a 7.

I specifically instructed Nazari to put the difficulty at about a 7 (if you're using B9 and other mods to make a shuttle, your difficulty is about a 5 sometimes 4 depending on experience). Sometimes the KSO can be a 6 on reentry depending on how you do your burn. Gliding is a solid 7 while landing is an 8. This assumes you burn to the specific spot from orbit before hand.

Now you might say "7 is too easy". Trust me, even at a 7 there are still mishaps, running out of fuel, weight problems if you load things wrong in the cargo bay and so on. As I said at the beginning of this project; I want to have fun with this thing, not fight it and get frustrated and then uninstall.

The difficulty curve is what Nazari is actually working on right now and we're both testing it.

I give him feedback on several things: How difficult it is to put it together as seen in the screenshots, and how difficult it is to launch, circularize, deorbit, land at KSC.

Edited by helldiver

This thing looks awesome and so Kerbalish for some reason. I wish it didn't have so many parts tho, at least from the pics in the first few posts it looks like it has a lot. What's the point of all that, except to increase my part count and lower my frame rate?

I'm amazed that this isn't even released yet and there are nearly 150 pages of posts :o

This thing looks awesome and so Kerbalish for some reason. I wish it didn't have so many parts tho, at least from the pics in the first few posts it looks like it has a lot. What's the point of all that, except to increase my part count and lower my frame rate?

Certain limitations of KSP engine make it impossible for one part to play multiple roles in some cases. This has improved a lot since the switch to PartModules sometime around 0.15, but certain things remain dependent on separate parts and cannot be combined into a single one. Wheels and wings are notorious for this, but the shuttle needs both.

Semi final update:

-KSO Phase 1 is now mastered.

-All art for Phase I and all technical items are complete.

-As a heads up, there will be changes after release (possible config changes, and possible art/texture swapping). That means you may have to delete your craft files or may be incompatibilities. We don't think there will be, but just a heads up before you get too attached.

-Release will include high resolution textures. A low resolution alternate download will be available soon after.

-Although the shuttle is easy to fly and pretty "new KSP user" friendly, it still requires some practice and skill. Nazari and I will compile a tutorial which will make available with the download and/or the thread in the add-on release forums once we release this thing.

Still to do:

-I'm doing the descriptions now (Superbowl tied me up most of the day).

-Plugin permissions and release authorizations.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

[Edit]

Just had a perfect IVA Landing. HUD worked perfectly. Although right before touchdown I switched to the external view since I wasn't certain if the gear extended and I got scared...

By the way, no twitch or shaky cam, or anything. Smooth ride into final with a lovely flare.

It's all in the launch. If your launch is good and efficient you'll have a perfect descent. I even came back with some fuel to spare. We're leaving it like that to compensate for missions, circularizations, and some margin of error. This thing is dialed!

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by helldiver

We are getting close! I have said this before, but I will say it again. I will be more than happy to test/tweak an FAR iteration of the shuttle. This beauty will be a staple in my launch vehicle lineup :)

This is looking absolutely staggering. Helldiver, after this is released any chance of posting up the model of the shuttle before it was separated into parts? I know someone with a serious 3-D printer and the idea of having a model KSO sitting on my desk while I fly missions with the virtual one excites my nerd parts!

Judging from dem images, either you take great pleasure in swapping out names on the texture for images, or the shuttle can be renamed. Can you tell us which, or leave us to guess while snickering evil-y?

:P

They are probably just edit/changing the name in the texture but I could be wrong

Judging from dem images, either you take great pleasure in swapping out names on the texture for images, or the shuttle can be renamed. Can you tell us which, or leave us to guess while snickering evil-y?

:P

helldiver, pleaaaaase tell us that we can custom name the shuttle :3

Edited by Flaminatrix1