Kerbin Mini Shuttle

helldiver

I second the idea to release the complete 3D model (under license), it would be cool to have a 3D printed shuttle on your desk while you fly the virtual one. Or someone could make an awesome animation...

Helldiver, I know you might want to kill me for this...

...but have you considered doing mini shuttle variants?

Off the top of my head; I can think of two variants:

Extended Cargo Bay -- longer cargo bay with a larger delta wing to maintain the same wingloading as the "normal" version.

No Cargo Bay -- Basically just a way to get people into orbit, with a smaller delta wing so the wingloading again remains the same as the "normal" version.

Basically, there are schools of thought that say that the Space Shuttle (STS) was too "oversized" for what it was; and that a smaller, passenger-only shuttle with a minimal cargo upmass capability would have been much cheaper to operate -- if you're not carrying 65,000 lbs of cargo down from space; you don't need a huge 250 m2 wing which adds a lot of mass (of the wing itself) plus the thermal protection (approx 9 kg per m2 of wing area).

Just a thought that popped into my head. You can disregard. :kiss:

Well, congratulations. :) I see you're in the "paperwork" phase, which is great. I hope it goes quickly, writing witty descriptions doesn't take much time, but permissions depend on how frequently the people involved check the forums. I have to say, I've given up on this before, but now, I'm really looking forward to the release. Also, I'll certainly take clues for CSS from this mod. Perhaps even something more, depending on need and permissions.

Semi final update:

-KSO Phase 1 is now mastered.

-All art for Phase I and all technical items are complete.

-As a heads up, there will be changes after release (possible config changes, and possible art/texture swapping). That means you may have to delete your craft files or may be incompatibilities. We don't think there will be, but just a heads up before you get too attached.

-Release will include high resolution textures. A low resolution alternate download will be available soon after.

-Although the shuttle is easy to fly and pretty "new KSP user" friendly, it still requires some practice and skill. Nazari and I will compile a tutorial which will make available with the download and/or the thread in the add-on release forums once we release this thing.

Still to do:

-I'm doing the descriptions now (Superbowl tied me up most of the day).

-Plugin permissions and release authorizations.

http://imgur.com/a/5KNQI

[Edit]

Just had a perfect IVA Landing. HUD worked perfectly. Although right before touchdown I switched to the external view since I wasn't certain if the gear extended and I got scared...

By the way, no twitch or shaky cam, or anything. Smooth ride into final with a lovely flare.

It's all in the launch. If your launch is good and efficient you'll have a perfect descent. I even came back with some fuel to spare. We're leaving it like that to compensate for missions, circularizations, and some margin of error. This thing is dialed!

http://imgur.com/a/qq4CO

Texture and modelling work are really awesome. :confused:

Having seen other shuttle mods whip up excitement, before failing to emerge, I didn't get my hopes up for this one.

However, those screenshots blew my socks off! I like the stockalike look, the IVA is gorgeous, and that's the first HUD I've seen. If you keep this up, this will take its place alongside B9 as a top tier KSP mod.

Don't get bogged down in producing loads of variants and textures - a contained pack of core parts that stick to the central theme and retain the high quality suggested in the screenshots is preferable to a sprawling memory hog that tries to be all things to all people.

Answering some final concerns and then it's back to crunch time.

This is looking absolutely staggering. Helldiver, after this is released any chance of posting up the model of the shuttle before it was separated into parts? I know someone with a serious 3-D printer and the idea of having a model KSO sitting on my desk while I fly missions with the virtual one excites my nerd parts!

Could be doable in the future.

Judging from dem images, either you take great pleasure in swapping out names on the texture for images, or the shuttle can be renamed. Can you tell us which, or leave us to guess while snickering evil-y?

:P

Default download includes one name, we'll have a thread where we'll post alternate named shuttles. I'm not cluttering up people's VAB menu.

I'm guessing there are a few command pods to choose from sporting different names.

Anyway, I am freaking pumped for the release of this! Nazari and helldiver, this is fantastic.

Just one command pod with a texture swap: Adamant, Tenacious, Resolute, and Dauntless.

helldiver, pleaaaaase tell us that we can custom name the shuttle :3

No. We're done with Phase 1. We're finalizing permissions, descriptions, and configs. Doing that would require messing with plugins and more permissions, lets leave that for Phase 2. My understanding is Firespitter gives the ability to do this. Again, Phase 2. Phase 1 is mastered so no more features being added in.

Helldiver, I know you might want to kill me for this...

...but have you considered doing mini shuttle variants?

Off the top of my head; I can think of two variants:

Extended Cargo Bay -- longer cargo bay with a larger delta wing to maintain the same wingloading as the "normal" version.

No Cargo Bay -- Basically just a way to get people into orbit, with a smaller delta wing so the wingloading again remains the same as the "normal" version.

Glad you brought this up.

I was talking to Nazari about it the other day and I'm on the fence about it.

The KSO support program (Phase 2) will give you a Lab, the beginning of satellite parts that fit the bay, a better docking module and so on. You can simply put a crew module in the cargo bay. I'm not sure I want to create parts that alter the KSO proper, its silhouette, or its primary role. Definitely something I'll think about in future Phases of the project (Phases 4 and higher).

Not right now though.

Your commitment to releasing a 'perfect' mod is both gratifying and intensely frustrating.

I completely understand. I feel the same way as well. But I didn't want to just release a "mod" but essentially an expansion. Believe it or not the KSO will add quite a lot of gameplay to KSP, more than Nazari and I expected.

The reason for the final fine tuning (getting the CFGs right, the Kerbal portrait cams square, texture inspections, smooth construction in the VAB) is because I want to release a professional grade result. Believe me when I say Nazari has put up with a lot of my obsessive nature. I think we're at a point now where we're both happy with what we have, and the community will appreciate.

In the end you will be getting a solid mod that hopefully doesn't feel like a mod but a polished expansion or DLC to KSP. At the same time my hope is that it will be a vehicle to showcase other awesome mods out there such as Raster Prop Monitor, Dtobi's awesome shuttle engine mods, Firespitter and so on.

Well, congratulations. :) I see you're in the "paperwork" phase, which is great. I hope it goes quickly, writing witty descriptions doesn't take much time, but permissions depend on how frequently the people involved check the forums. I have to say, I've given up on this before, but now, I'm really looking forward to the release. Also, I'll certainly take clues for CSS from this mod. Perhaps even something more, depending on need and permissions.

Currently one permission still hasn't cleared; the engine flame and smoke contrail effects you see in some of the screenshots. Nazari is still trying to contact the author.

How do you make that mission insignia ? What program do you use??

Photoshop, and gratuitous use of the Stroke layer effect.

aww its cute!!

:D

Thanks for the reply helldiver. From the looks of the screenshots, you guys put lots of effort into the KSO. I might even say this is the best looking mod I've seen thus far. Good luck contacting the author of the effects, and I doubt I'm the only one who'se refreshing the page every few minutes for some good news!

For Phase 2, would it be possible to get a custom part that could mount the shuttle to a Mk3 fuselage like the SCA? If possible, it could attach like a docking port, so you could use KAS winches to lift the shuttle onto the plane, wherever it lands and fly it back to KSC from Island Runway or any KerbTown runways. It could also be used for people to practice their landings. I've been thinking about requesting this for awhile, i just now got around to typing it out.

And if you do end up doing that, please include this:

Shuttle_mounting_point.JPG

I hope this becomes available in the next week or so- I want to use in my AAR so badly...

Indeed, I'd like to stream my first time with this beautiful replica/spinoff of the real Shuttles. :D

HOWEVER! I want it to be good, so if it needs to be more than a week, so be it. I'd rather have a US-quality shuttle mod than an North Korea-quality one. :sticktongue:

Indeed, I'd like to stream my first time with this beautiful replica/spinoff of the real Shuttles. :D

HOWEVER! I want it to be good, so if it needs to be more than a week, so be it. I'd rather have a US-quality shuttle mod than an North Korea-quality one. :sticktongue:

I like your comparision!