[1.0.2] NovaPunch 2.09. - May 6th - 1.0 Compatibility Update

Tiberion

I'm not really sure there's another niche for a large single engine to fill. And the "old bearcat" feels really out of place beside the other engines and I am not sure it's worth fixing up. I'll mess with it and see, I guess.

I'm not really sure there's another niche for a large single engine to fill. And the "old bearcat" feels really out of place beside the other engines and I am not sure it's worth fixing up. I'll mess with it and see, I guess.

Hmm, I'm totally OK with Bearcats. 1.25m is kinda unique in one way - it doesn't have engine plate, which can be used in some designs.

Heh once upon a time Novapunch had decoupler shrouds, though they didn't function like that. Something to put on the list I guess.

Also.. 1.875m upper stage? used to have an adapter to that too, who is using that diameter again?

Orionkermin, with his SoyJuice pack.

So a wave of nostalgia hit me today as I was browsing old threads for info on the logo stuff.

This is particular - It's a screenshot from Wobbly Rockets, and you can probably tell Novapunch still has a lot of that feeling to it.

it made me ponder what state we had left that M-50 engine in. I only vaguely remember why we swapped it out and started using the current "Bearcat" that's in the 250, tri-nozzle and 5x engines.

It turns out that frizzank had did an awesome re-texture on it, but the model had some issues; mostly that Sundaypunch had used a 12-sided cylinder as the base, which was not enough so it had flat faces around the outside. Also the inside had no throat, just a cone-ish section.

So, I fixed it:

http://i.imgur.com/yzpyq1n.png

Pondering replacing that "old" bearcat engine that is in biohazard's screenshots with this one - its the "heavy lift" 1.25m engine, which is what the M-50 was too. I really dislike that engine now and I am not sure a new texture could save it.

Same stats. Probably a new part name to give people time to remove the old engine from craft files.

Thoughts?

Hnnnnnng.... do want.

I used to use upsized M-50s as F-1 analogs some time back. Had to mod an engine from AIES as a replacement, at least until FASA. Always liked that oldschool M-50 though. These would definitely look awesome with that engine.

a1jHQET.jpg

l822gep.jpg

The old Bearcat has no tankbutt though! Therefore it wins by default. Although this new engine is quite pretty. :)

Ah, I see biohazard15 made the same point. But I bet s/he hates tankbutts less than I though :D

I never understood the RSS folk's hate towards "tankbutts". Sure, if you use multi-engine mounts like procedural plate for PF, tankbutts will mess with your design; but on most fuel tanks engines without tankbutts will look quite strange.

are texture reduction packs still a thing? If you need memory relief, Active Texture Management seems the best bet.

And if you need even more memory relief, try running KSP in OpenGL mode. It may not work, but chances are still better than with x64 bugginness.

A question: any balance changes and\or new parts in the near future?

Edited by biohazard15

I have consistently had a problem with the fairings. That is, when I stage to eject them, they don't explode away from the rocket. Rather, they simply collapse. Often, they knock off or damage parts of the rocket. Sometimes, the nosecone gets stuck on the front of the rocket.

Is there a way to explode the pieces away from the rocket? the AIES parts pack has explosive bolts designed to perform that function. However, the fairings are a set size. KWRockets has fairings that can be sized to length. However, they are not intuitive to use, i.e., PITA. And, they are expensive (yes, I know, i can "cheat" and reduce the price in the CFG files) I prefer NovaPunch fairings. They're expandable; they're cheap; they do what I want them to do with muss and fuss.

i see something called an NovaPunch PLF Explosive Bolt. How is that used? I read that it may be obsolete.

They don't detach as well since the way decoupler force is applied changed several KSP updates ago. If you're using longer fairings (more than 2 sections tall, inc nose) then its best to eject them section by section, top down. Also, slowly spinning the ship helps eject them clear as well.

Haven't really thought of a way to make eject 'properly' without making them as complex as KW's fairings, which no one seemed to want.

If you're using longer fairings (more than 2 sections tall, inc nose) then its best to eject them section by section, top down. Also, slowly spinning the ship helps eject them clear as well.
I've resorted to turning the vessel retrograde and ejecting the fairings. Then return vessel to pro-grade.
Haven't really thought of a way to make eject 'properly' without making them as complex as KW's fairings, which no one seemed to want.
I'm becoming more knowledgeable of the idiosyncrasies of KW fairings.

Of course, another option is Procedural Fairings,l which I use when warranted as well. Although I prefer NP fairings, if I must jump through hoops by spinning the vessel or turning it so as to eject the fairings, I'll use one of the alternatives I've discussed. For the simplest (fairing plus nose cone or nosecone fairings), I'll use NP.

Proper fairings are essential to my designs, because I use FAR.

Edited by Apollo13

I have consistently had a problem with the fairings. That is, when I stage to eject them, they don't explode away from the rocket. Rather, they simply collapse. Often, they knock off or damage parts of the rocket. Sometimes, the nosecone gets stuck on the front of the rocket.

Is there a way to explode the pieces away from the rocket? the AIES parts pack has explosive bolts designed to perform that function. However, the fairings are a set size. KWRockets has fairings that can be sized to length. However, they are not intuitive to use, i.e., PITA. And, they are expensive (yes, I know, i can "cheat" and reduce the price in the CFG files) I prefer NovaPunch fairings. They're expandable; they're cheap; they do what I want them to do with muss and fuss.

i see something called an NovaPunch PLF Explosive Bolt. How is that used? I read that it may be obsolete.

Use procedural fairings. They make the process of creating fairings very easy.

Use procedural fairings. They make the process of creating fairings very easy.

As I mentioned in my post just prior to yours, I do use Procedural Fairings where they make sense. They are more expensive than the alternatives.

Edited by Apollo13

If I remove parts from the parts folder will contracts to test them still appear?

or you can do what i did edit every part that has ModuleTest in it by removing it, then contracts will stop apearing

or you can do what i did edit every part that has ModuleTest in it by removing it, then contracts will stop apearing

I was just wondering as I deleted a bunch of parts I never use.

Edit: Speaking of testing why is the "Run Test" option missing from engines in flight?

Edited by Thorbane

• 2 weeks later...

Have this I my log:

[LOG 23:47:36.648] Load(Model): NovaPunch2/Parts/Freyja/FreyjaRCS/flightpack

[ERR 23:47:36.698] Texture 'NovaPunch2/Parts/Freyja/FreyjaRCS/FlightPackEM' not found!

[LOG 23:48:08.962] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'NovaPunch2/Parts/Fairings/Fairings_ExpBolt/part/NP_fairings_PLFexpBOLT'

[ERR 23:48:08.967] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler

[ERR 23:48:08.970] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler

[LOG 23:48:08.970] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'NovaPunch2/Parts/Fairings/NP_Fairings_2_5m_Nose/part2m/NP_fairings_25m_Nose'

[ERR 23:48:08.976] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler

[ERR 23:48:08.980] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler

[LOG 23:48:08.982] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'NovaPunch2/Parts/Fairings/NP_Fairings_2_5m_Nose/part3m/NP_fairings_375m_Nose'

[ERR 23:48:08.988] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler

[ERR 23:48:08.992] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler

[LOG 23:48:08.993] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'NovaPunch2/Parts/Fairings/NP_Fairings_2_5m_Nose/part5m/NP_fairings_5m_Nose'

[ERR 23:48:08.999] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler

[ERR 23:48:09.003] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler

[LOG 23:48:09.004] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'NovaPunch2/Parts/Fairings/NP_Fairings_2_5m_NoseCone/part2m/NP_fairings_25m_NoseCone'

[ERR 23:48:09.013] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler

[ERR 23:48:09.017] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler

[LOG 23:48:09.018] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'NovaPunch2/Parts/Fairings/NP_Fairings_2_5m_NoseCone/part3m/NP_fairings_375m_NoseCone'

[ERR 23:48:09.027] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler

[ERR 23:48:09.031] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler

[LOG 23:48:09.033] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'NovaPunch2/Parts/Fairings/NP_Fairings_2_5m_NoseCone/part5m/NP_fairings5m_NoseCone'

[ERR 23:48:09.041] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler

[ERR 23:48:09.045] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler

[LOG 23:48:09.053] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'NovaPunch2/Parts/Fairings/NP_Fairings_2_5m_Wall/part2m/NP_fairings_25m_Wall'

[ERR 23:48:09.057] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler

[ERR 23:48:09.058] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler

[ERR 23:48:09.061] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler

[ERR 23:48:09.062] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler

[LOG 23:48:09.063] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'NovaPunch2/Parts/Fairings/NP_Fairings_2_5m_Wall/part3m/NP_fairings_375m_Wall'

[ERR 23:48:09.067] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler

[ERR 23:48:09.068] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler

[ERR 23:48:09.071] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler

[ERR 23:48:09.072] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler

[LOG 23:48:09.072] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'NovaPunch2/Parts/Fairings/NP_Fairings_2_5m_Wall/part5m/NP_fairings_5m_Wall'

[ERR 23:48:09.077] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler

[ERR 23:48:09.078] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler

[ERR 23:48:09.080] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler

[ERR 23:48:09.081] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler

[LOG 23:48:09.082] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'NovaPunch2/Parts/Fairings/NP_Fairings_2_5m_WallShort/part2m/NP_fairings_25m_Wallshort'

[ERR 23:48:09.086] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler

[ERR 23:48:09.087] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler

[ERR 23:48:09.090] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler

[ERR 23:48:09.091] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler

[LOG 23:48:09.091] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'NovaPunch2/Parts/Fairings/NP_Fairings_2_5m_WallShort/part3m/NP_fairings_375m_Wallshort'

[ERR 23:48:09.096] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler

[ERR 23:48:09.097] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler

[ERR 23:48:09.099] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler

[ERR 23:48:09.100] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler

[LOG 23:48:09.101] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'NovaPunch2/Parts/Fairings/NP_Fairings_2_5m_WallShort/part5m/NP_fairings_5m_Wallshort'

[ERR 23:48:09.105] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler

[ERR 23:48:09.106] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler

[ERR 23:48:09.109] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler

[ERR 23:48:09.110] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler

[LOG 23:48:09.144] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'NovaPunch2/Parts/Freyja/FreyjaPod/part/NP_FreyjaCapsule'

[ERR 23:48:09.152] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler

Edited by Lumaan

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.