[1.0.2] NovaPunch 2.09. - May 6th - 1.0 Compatibility Update

Tiberion

So parachutes... they don't work. They do flip out weirdly and then explode, so that's fun.

Starting a new 'things what are broken' list. guess I should have tested 1.0.2 more, this NPrelease is less functional in it than I thought. Keep testing if you can though.

So parachutes... they don't work. They do flip out weirdly and then explode, so that's fun.

Starting a new 'things what are broken' list. guess I should have tested 1.0.2 more, this NPrelease is less functional in it than I thought. Keep testing if you can though.

Oh so its nto just me exploding with the parachutes then yay!

rofl. I tried to use the two inline ones which seemed to work initially (one of them actually survived in an initial test) and they DID work initially, then they started to spaz out and suddenly BOOM, they broke and at the same time sending my craft at high velocity into the ground.

This is with 'ignore max temps' and unbreakable joints on btw.

hi dudes !!! sorry if i didnt seeт all of thread, but can somebody tell me when it will be work with version 1.0 ? cant attach things to each other... or im doing something wrong???

Quick question - What altitude and velocity did you deploy at? Squad's changes in 1.0.1 causes chutes to fail when opened too early. I will be testing later today and I will see if the chutes fail at lower velocity deployment (< 250 m/s)

hi dudes !!! sorry if i didnt seeт all of thread, but can somebody tell me when it will be work with version 1.0 ? cant attach things to each other... or im doing something wrong???

The current release is for testing purposes. There's a bunch of bees still flying around in it but helping to test it and providing feedback would be a big step towards helping Tiberion get it ready.

Okay, let's do some test flights.

NP test release, NRAP, latest dev of MJ. KSP 1.0.2. I've also converted all the textures to DDS.

Old design that dates back to 0.22. 15 tons to orbit.

oCcFHuB.jpg

MNgJCzz.jpg

Stable and safe (albeit slow) ascent. 1st and 2nd stages place it just at 100km Ap, 3rd stage circularize orbit with some fuel left (can't go to the Mun, but can change orbit).

Bearcat 3x looks somewhat underpowered with this rocket (1.1 TWR ASL). No problems with ascent, though.

Bugs:

- Both Bearcats have no "pop" sound when they run out of fuel.

The current release is for testing purposes. There's a bunch of bees still flying around in it but helping to test it and providing feedback would be a big step towards helping Tiberion get it ready.

Yeah what Rasta said, let's keep in mind that out of the major packs KW and NP2, Tiberion has pushed his work to try to get it to us soon, so yes test the experimental build and post any issues you have to this thread and Tiberion will collate and adjust in between the well deserved beers we hope he is enjoying, or pie, whichever his pleasure may be.

Another test - a quick Saturn V-esque rocket. 50 tons NRAP.

yUDvJyG.jpg

The rocket is somewhat wobbly (it has no struts), but flies fine. Guess I became too dependent on KJR :)

Again, first two stages fly it to 100km Ap. Third stage finishes 100x100 orbit with about 1500 dV left - well, it's a Mun rocket after all. Can deliver more than 50 tons to orbit, obviously.

The balance looks just fine - some may say that Bearcat 5x is overpowered under new aero, but I'll say that you don't use Saturn V to launch CubeSats.

Also, SAS rings. If you remember my old tests (year or so ago), you didn't define node sizes for them - there was a bug with SAS if you did. Now, when SAS is tied to capsules and probes, you can remove ModuleSAS from them and apply node sizes back.

Another test - a quick Saturn V-esque rocket. 50 tons NRAP.

http://i.imgur.com/yUDvJyG.jpg

The rocket is somewhat wobbly (it has no struts), but flies fine. Guess I became too dependent on KJR :)

Again, first two stages fly it to 100km Ap. Third stage finishes 100x100 orbit with about 1500 dV left - well, it's a Mun rocket after all. Can deliver more than 50 tons to orbit, obviously.

The balance looks just fine - some may say that Bearcat 5x is overpowered under new aero, but I'll say that you don't use Saturn V to launch CubeSats.

Also, SAS rings. If you remember my old tests (year or so ago), you didn't define node sizes for them - there was a bug with SAS if you did. Now, when SAS is tied to capsules and probes, you can remove ModuleSAS from them and apply node sizes back.

Are you having any issues bringing it back down using the landing guidance? I'm trying to figure out if it is the NP2 engines or MJ2

Hey, I've noticed after seeing some wierd mechjeb behavior and when I spotted the problem with RCS build aid, three of the engines have BADLY unbalanced center of thrust. So, is there a fix available or does anybody know how to fix?

Heres an imgur album showing what I mean

Edit: How do I make the album thing show up??

https://imgur.com/a/efvMq#0

Still having these problems, the Bronco quad keeps flipping my craft over.

Edit: Okay, nvm, it's looking like an actual design problem, not exactly sure what.

Edited by smjjames

K1 and "Mothers" family. 20-ton NRAP.

2oxTM1H.jpg

With Mothers' thrust at 100%, it's a quite overpowered rocket, somewhat dangerous to fly.

I've tweaked thrust to 75% for all three engines. It has just enough fuel in these three tanks to make a 100x100 orbit (with this ascent profile, anyway). If your Blok-D and lander\orbiter is light enough (under 20 tons) and has enough dV, you will make it to the Mun :)

Consider it as "advanced" rocket, not suitable for newbie players, but quite fun for those who loves to tinker with payload and tweakables.

About the Mothers' thrust... There's a big dilemma here:

- Lower their thrust - and they would be unsuitable for larger rockets. They also would overlap with other engines, breaking the balance.

- Do nothing - and K1 assembly would be overpowered.

My vote goes for the second option - I like K1 as a rocket that requires some careful planning.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you having any issues bringing it back down using the landing guidance? I'm trying to figure out if it is the NP2 engines or MJ2

I haven't tried landing guidance in 1.0, but I believe that to be MJ's fault.

Alright, excellent feedback going on here. Looks like the 1.0.1 aero tweak made drag down low sane again so you don't accelerate through mach before you clear the tower :)

Got all the new issues added to the list; still working on chutes here, they are well and truly broken. I spent 6 hours last night working with some modders who know the module well, and after numerous model and animation changes and much config file gymnastics.. nothing helped. If anyone has got your custom chute model working in 1.0.2 I'd appreciate some details how you have it set up

Ok this si something weird Tiberion, sometimes the orbital birtha doesn't ignite when staged......and i'm not using the igniter mod, i can then right click it and hit activate and away it goes.....oddd

Ares-I, with Freyja as payload.

rAxpLJS.jpg

I've used 5-segment ASRB as its first stage. Had to tweak it to 60% thrust, but that's fine - SRBs always were meant to be tweaked for each rocket.

It flies fine, but never, ever try to fly without some winglets at its 2nd stage - it will flip without them, no matter what. It's also somewhat unstable when circularizing - don't know why (Most likely MJ - sometimes it's stable, sometimes it don't. It's really old issue, so old that nobody really cares anymore)

"Fairings" are working, but they're still "fairings", no matter how you brand them.

Freyja itself:

xlWl8wy.jpg

K50A2qj.jpg

- It tends to flip on re-entry without SAS (flies fine with SAS on, though).

- The ablator works fine (I've made a re-entry from 3000km Ap, mimicking EFT-1), but consider adding some more - 200 is barely enough. My Pe was 20km.

- "Burn" shader also works, although it might look somewhat... strange (probably something with Freyja's "shiny" texture). I would advise against deactivating it, though - it actually looks pretty realistic.

An attempt to make an Atlas-inspired SSTO.

twg8xsL.jpg

- Booster's thrust is tweaked to 33% - and yet, it's wildly overpowered (I had to limit acceleration and AoA via MJ's ascent guidance).

- It's not really an SSTO - it lacks about 300 dV to make an 100x100 orbit, but it's still a sound concept.

- Couple of SAS-2 Vernier pods are added, in order to help with steering. Not sure if they help, but they surely look cool.

- It is pretty hard to fly, as it tends to flip-over. Nozzles should ALWAYS be in parallel with your pitch axis - otherwise, things may happen.

Odin:

- The heatshield is hard to place in VAB (already reported, I believe)

- Heatshield appears to be super-effective - it doesn't even use ablator during 2,5 km\s reentry. Landing legs also don't burn away (while I've expected this).

I am wondering if more gimbal range would help stability - I hate to turn it up because it makes SAS act insane with some builds.

I might also have to reduce engine mass and dial back the thrust a little to get close to the same TWR, since having all that mass at the bottom is a lot of the problem.

It

s certainly more challenging, which is good in the long run.

Hello,

With the addition of drag and engine/thrust changes to parts (Squad Parts Only I believe), these changes do not reflect into MODS...this is my opinion...in that Modders now have to add these capabilities into their own parts.

I also think some of these changes are in Unity as well; I could be wrong here but is all this being taken into account?

I cant use Modded engines or probly even parts because of overheating, drag...does Squad puch drag onto all parts; I may as well ask here as anywhere...there is an 'hsp' factor; what is this and does it affect engines; is it a one value that can be altered to mach proper ratios for drag and thrust?

Seems like engine MODS gonna really get affected...I know this has probly been asked but there are so many posts...

My memory got 200 megs larger and I dont have this MOD and my Outer Planets in yet...I am at 3 gigs practically; before I was at 2.5 with everything...

Cmdr Zeta

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.