[1.0.2] NovaPunch 2.09. - May 6th - 1.0 Compatibility Update

Tiberion

Well before i used to build my landers with 1 orbital bertha 2.5m on top of a 2.5m x i think 9m or 6m NP tank cant remember which and then i could lift of from kerbins pad with just that(was how i test my landers to see if they can land on Kerbin without parachutes) and it used to, now when i do the same test it just sits there blasting away not moving, like it doesn't have enough get up and go, plus on landing, if its in atmo, it is almost like it cant fight the gravity and you end up plowing into the ground spectacularly.

Well, now it's truly orbital, as its name points out. Which means that you can't use it as a lander engine. Use parachutes and airbrakes to bleed off speed, and strap a couple of Radial Liquid Boosters to that tank. These little things is often ignored, but they can do wonders if used right.

Yeah engine power works differently in 1.0 it scales off of Isp.

You find your current thrust by this: maxthrust * currentIsp / vacIsp (you can call currentIsp / vacIsp your IspFraction or something, so its maxthrust * IspFraction)

That means thrust is at 100% in a Vacuum because currentIsp will be equal to vacIsp so its just maxthrust * 1

For the bertha at sea level Isp is only 100 since its an orbital engine, while vacIsp is 344, so 100/344 comes out to 0.291 and thrust comes out at 138.

I now have a middle key in the curve at 0.8 atmospheric pressure, so between sealevel and like... 20k it curves from 100 to 222 so I have Isp ramping up pretty fast (half of the curve in the 1st 20% of the atmosphere) - in the end I may revisit the curve stages or make other changes.

The end result is that orbital engines aren't more efficient in a vacuum, they're better performing like in reality. They'll make good landers in places without atmosphere still, but in other cases you'l need to bring an engine meant for atmospheric uses (for instance the aerospike, whose Isp curve is pretty flat and works generally well in both, at an overall performance penalty (could need balancing)

Yeah engine power works differently in 1.0 it scales off of Isp.

You find your current thrust by this: maxthrust * currentIsp / vacIsp (you can call currentIsp / vacIsp your IspFraction or something, so its maxthrust * IspFraction)

That means thrust is at 100% in a Vacuum because currentIsp will be equal to vacIsp so its just maxthrust * 1

For the bertha at sea level Isp is only 100 since its an orbital engine, while vacIsp is 344, so 100/344 comes out to 0.291 and thrust comes out at 138.

I now have a middle key in the curve at 0.8 atmospheric pressure, so between sealevel and like... 20k it curves from 100 to 222 so I have Isp ramping up pretty fast (half of the curve in the 1st 20% of the atmosphere) - in the end I may revisit the curve stages or make other changes.

The end result is that orbital engines aren't more efficient in a vacuum, they're better performing like in reality. They'll make good landers in places without atmosphere still, but in other cases you'l need to bring an engine meant for atmospheric uses (for instance the aerospike, whose Isp curve is pretty flat and works generally well in both, at an overall performance penalty (could need balancing)

Yeah thats cool, i get that, any chance on some new engines or is this mod static for parts?

Toyotawolf: sure there's a chance, might also need to re-distrbute the current engines to some roles as well. Sort of need to take stock of what we have vs whats needed.

Augustus: Highly Kerbalized versions, yes (mostly because I suck at replica modeling)

That's cool, I'm not even sure what I'd like to see, I mean, a rocket is a rocket, so I'm not sure else there is that can be made different aside from engines and command pods. How's the work coming with the chutes?

Toyotawolf: sure there's a chance, might also need to re-distrbute the current engines to some roles as well. Sort of need to take stock of what we have vs whats needed.

Augustus: Highly Kerbalized versions, yes (mostly because I suck at replica modeling)

Nice! Angara and Atlas V or Vulcan would be cool if you did them someday.

Highly Kerbalized versions, yes (mostly because I suck at replica modeling)

Well, Freyja is a great representation of CST-100. Mind that NP is the only mod that gives us a CST-100 replica.

Odin is something in-between PPTS and Dragon V2, IMO.

Something I've been wondering: Is the Freyja supposed to be a CST-100 and is the Odin supposed to be a PPTS?

It does resemble the CST-100, I thought it was based on the Orion. It's more disk shaped than the orion though.

Yes as the patch notes said the fairing walls and half-nose pieces are removing, there is currently no way to make them function so they would only be a drag penalty to your rocket. I left the panels and the nosecones in to use as structural pieces and regular nosecones.

It does resemble the CST-100, I thought it was based on the Orion. It's more disk shaped than the orion though.

It's also more disk-shaped than the CST-100. I also got the impression that the CST-100 would be very disky at first, but it seems pretty normal when reviewing the concept art.

It was balanced against stock before 1.0; For 1.0.2 I did a high level re-balance because the game is quite different now, so things may still be in need of more tweaking. I'll do that more when we know how Squad may change some things for the next version.

Hi, first of all: i love this mod. But is it possible that the fuel tanks are a bit pricey compared to the stock tanks? Let's take the FL-T800 stock tank with LF=360 and O=440 for 800 funds compared to the HH-125-B mod tank with LF = 288 and O = 352 for 1600 funds. It's basically less fuel for a lot more money. I like the looks of the tanks, but i don't use them because they 're hella expensive :D

Hi, first of all: i love this mod. But is it possible that the fuel tanks are a bit pricey compared to the stock tanks? Let's take the FL-T800 stock tank with LF=360 and O=440 for 800 funds compared to the HH-125-B mod tank with LF = 288 and O = 352 for 1600 funds. It's basically less fuel for a lot more money. I like the looks of the tanks, but i don't use them because they 're hella expensive :D

FL-T comes way later in the tech tree.

Tiberion, there's a bug with the shrouds for the Odin pod. The CargoBay module doesn't work, and the engines register as shielded even after the shroud has been decoupled. This means that the engines cannot be ignited, at all.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.