(KSP 1.10 + 1.12 ) Mission Controller 3.2.0 (Final Version) (Updated 6/25/2021)

malkuth

If I jettison boosters with open parachutes attached, will I save money?

My understanding is that if something is 2.5 km from you it disappears? However I have recovered empty fuel tanks that survived in the water plenty of times. Make a game and try it?

If I jettison boosters with open parachutes attached, will I save money?
You must open the MCE Research window and purchase the Vessel Recycling for 300 Science. I recently discovered this myself after running a few hundred MCE missions and receiving no recovery/recycle funds.

Concerning the 2500 meter issue, SUPPOSEDLY if you have parachutes, the parts will recycle if you're further than 2500 meters away. To date, I've not received funds for recycled boosters. I've reported that in this thread to malkuth; no solution yet.

That said, await KSP 0.24, and that should fix this issue. Should... MCE will change dramatically as well.

Edited by Apollo13

I haven't played KSP in a week or two and haven't updated MCE to the latest version, but parachute recycling was working fine the last time I checked. You do need plenty of parachutes. The requirement is 70 drag per ton. To get the "true drag" of a parachute you have to multiply it's mass per it's fully open drag. And then calculate from there.

My "rule of thumb" is 1.2 (radial or mk16) parachutes per ton. So let's say the dry weight of your booster is 11.25 tons.

11.25 x 1.2 = 13.5 => roundup to 14

So you need 14 radial parachutes, or 1 mk16 and 13 radial, or 1 mk16-XL and 12 radial. This rule has worked for me so far.

Doesn't matter if the chutes are open or not when dropped. When the booster is 2.5km away and bellow 25km altitude, the game will unload it (it disappears) and MCE will calculate everything it needs. A window should pop-up telling you how much recycled value you got. If not, check the debug via Alt+F12. MCE calculations are there. You can see if you need more parachutes/drag (or if you have too many).

@BioHaZarD.PT: holy mother of god!!! that's crazy. Especially, given that I've followed boosters et al to their landing under two or three chutes and the boosters were not destroyed . Yet, I received no recycling credit.

You can change the Drag per ton in the MCSettings.cfg if you don't like them. Keep in mind I moved on to using Realchutes so Realchutes are a little more forgiving with amount you need then default.

Believe it or not the test to see how many chutes you needed was conducted using Test bodies and actually seeing if they would hit the ground to hard, anything under 10 MS survives and anything over dies with a Ton Drag of 70.

Again Auto Recycling does not work unless KSP destroys the part, following them down and watching them land means that they did't get Cleaned up by KSP and are still in world. If they are on the ground you can just go to Tracking Station and recover them that way.

I'm not sure why you seem to be having such huge issues with Recycling Apollo. :) But it works trust me.

You can change the Drag per ton in the MCSettings.cfg if you don't like them. Keep in mind I moved on to using Realchutes so Realchutes are a little more forgiving with amount you need then default.

Believe it or not the test to see how many chutes you needed was conducted using Test bodies and actually seeing if they would hit the ground to hard, anything under 10 MS survives and anything over dies with a Ton Drag of 70.

Again Auto Recycling does not work unless KSP destroys the part, following them down and watching them land means that they did't get Cleaned up by KSP and are still in world. If they are on the ground you can just go to Tracking Station and recover them that way.

I'm not sure why you seem to be having such huge issues with Recycling Apollo. :) But it works trust me.

Realchutes huh? Is it worth a try?

I think i maybe found why is not working the runway recycle. In MissionControllerEvents.cs you have

private double runwayMinLatitude = -0.043;        private double runwayMaxLatitude = -0.038;
private double runwayMinLongitude = -74.719;
private double runwayMaxLongitude = -74.700;

And using flight engineer launching in runway says that I'm in longitude: 285.275699 and latitude: -0.048601.

I know that's more or less the same because 285,275699-360 = -74,724301 but it's still out of the limits so maybe changing that values will work.

So I check and the limits should be something like:

Runway:

private double runwayMinLatitude = -0.045;        private double runwayMaxLatitude = -0.054;
private double runwayMinLongitude = 285.27;
private double runwayMaxLongitude = 285.51;

I hope it will be useful :)

another example of the Repair Mission bug. I executed this mission from the Random Missions MPKG package (Mission 34), not the Contracts (MCContracts.cfg). The manual fix to MCContracts.cfg was previously described in entry #1729 of this thread.

DoYDQsE.jpg

Although the part was transferred from the Repair Canister to the Repair Panel, the Panel indicates that I cannot repair. The Kerbal did an EVA and I clicked the "Start repair" button. When I checked the Panel again, it showed 0.00/1.00. That is, the part was used.

@malkuth: what files do you need from me to help you debug this?

Edited by Apollo13

I think i maybe found why is not working the runway recycle. In MissionControllerEvents.cs you have

private double runwayMinLatitude = -0.043;        private double runwayMaxLatitude = -0.038;
private double runwayMinLongitude = -74.719;
private double runwayMaxLongitude = -74.700;

And using flight engineer launching in runway says that I'm in longitude: 285.275699 and latitude: -0.048601.

I know that's more or less the same because 285,275699-360 = -74,724301 but it's still out of the limits so maybe changing that values will work.

So I check and the limits should be something like:

Runway:

private double runwayMinLatitude = -0.045;        private double runwayMaxLatitude = -0.054;

I hope it will be useful :)

Sorry it will be like:

private double runwayMinLatitude = -0.054;
private double runwayMaxLatitude = -0.045;

Hey appollo, I keep forgetting about the old random mission repair mission and to get rid of it. That mission will no longer work with the new repair mission system. I completely forgot that mission was there.

Sorry it will be like:

private double runwayMinLatitude = -0.054;
private double runwayMaxLatitude = -0.045;

Thanks for the info on this, the code that you shown is actually my wip project I started a little while ago to fix the old problem. Believe it or not the old problem was that no code existed for actual runway landings. So I started working on this. If the LAN and Lon is off this info will be a great help so thanks.

Hey appollo, I keep forgetting about the old random mission repair mission and to get rid of it. That mission will no longer work with the new repair mission system. I completely forgot that mission was there.

OK. I've actually altered the mission such that the altitudes are random. I've added additional repair missions whereby the orbiting satellite is actually manned and the guy on station must return to Kerbin and is replaced by the incoming repair guy. Added an EVAGoal in as well. I'l just manually update the payment.

Is there a way to make payments random, rather than a fixed amount? I tried the RANDOM(x,y) function and that didn't do it. I'm referring to the non-repair missions in random-missions, of course.

Edited by Apollo13

Thanks for the info on this, the code that you shown is actually my wip project I started a little while ago to fix the old problem. Believe it or not the old problem was that no code existed for actual runway landings. So I started working on this. If the LAN and Lon is off this info will be a great help so thanks.

No thanks to you for this awesome mod. I wanted to test it before tell you but i dont know how to compile the code with monodevelop xD. I think i need to read/watch a few tutorials.

OK. I've actually altered the mission such that the altitudes are random. I've added additional repair missions whereby the orbiting satellite is actually manned and the guy on station must return to Kerbin and is replaced by the incoming repair guy. Added an EVAGoal in as well. I'l just manually update the payment.

Is there a way to make payments random, rather than a fixed amount? I tried the RANDOM(x,y) function and that didn't do it.

No RANDOM only works with doubles and money is integers.

The only random money in mce is in contracts.

No RANDOM only works with doubles and money is integers.

The only random money in mce is in contracts.

Its caused by having ScanSat Installed. Not sure why it does it. But if you look carefully you can see that it happens to all mods, its more noticeable in MCE because of the Huge wall of text it has.

No fix i guess?

Also, I just installed FASA launch towers, its pretty neat but MC makes the clamps cost a fortune, especially the launch tower, probably high mass and a command module. I was kinda hoping to make all the clamps including the vanilla one ignored by MC for cost purposes. I looked through the setting file but I might have missed it. Do you have a section in there to ignore certain parts, I could just manually add them.

My reasoning is the clamps and towers would be a sunk cost, and reusable.

I cant directly edit the Launchclamp module cost modifyer as the towers dont have that module, just the clamps.

EDIT: wait, no they all have launchclamp module. I'll try making the multiplyer 0

EDIT2: no effect.

Edited by UAL002

Hey malkuth,

So I just did katurn I. I'm on hardcore. I started with a budget of 67,XXX. My ship cost was 32,351. The mission payout is 39k (on hardcore) and the optional is 35k payout. I did all of the goals, including optional, and hid all completed objectives and the only one left was to land. So I EVA back to my ship and land. I didn't pay attention to any payout as I didn't know they happen immediately. I def got the 39k payout, but there is just no way I got the 35k as I now sit at 74,312K. As you know on hardcore these optional goals are crucial. I play lots of HC mods so I need this money to do things to keep the game going :P

I def saw in the mission window the optional goal go green, and hid the goal the second it happened. I'm not sure if this is a bug, nor do I care right now. I just want to know if you could walk me through editing my save to add the 35k owed to me? I can take SS next time to make sure I get a better look at the situation.

Gauge

Edited by Gaugeforever

Its caused by having ScanSat Installed. Not sure why it does it. But if you look carefully you can see that it happens to all mods, its more noticeable in MCE because of the Huge wall of text it has.

That is one issue I have marked since months but never got anywhere near isolating. Glad you already know about it and what that is about.

Would really love if that could be dealt with, therefore to ask SCANsat developers/maintainers if they may have a look. But before that, is there something more to know about that issue?

Could you point out where, from the 46 different *.cs files in MCE sourcecode, the methods for control of text wrapping are?

The wrap code is actually part of unity and not really something you have to set up. Even if you call it directly and make sure it's implemented in your own code it still happens. I isolated it down to something that only happens when the Main map view is in use in scansat.

You can have scansat installed and not get the issue if the scansat map is never called. Once it's called the word wrap is broken for rest of play session.

I also checked make sure it was not compatibility between scansat and mce and that's when I found that it does indeed cause issues with other mods. You can see it in action because it adds horizontal scroll bars to everything.

The only way I have fixed it is to edit all text with a line break or new paragraph. It covers the problem but does not fix it. And there is just way to much text in mce for me to do that to all.

Edited by malkuth

Hey malkuth,

So I just did katurn I. I'm on hardcore. I started with a budget of 67,XXX. My ship cost was 32,351. The mission payout is 39k (on hardcore) and the optional is 35k payout. I did all of the goals, including optional, and hid all completed objectives and the only one left was to land. So I EVA back to my ship and land. I didn't pay attention to any payout as I didn't know they happen immediately. I def got the 39k payout, but there is just no way I got the 35k as I now sit at 74,312K. As you know on hardcore these optional goals are crucial. I play lots of HC mods so I need this money to do things to keep the game going :P

I def saw in the mission window the optional goal go green, and hid the goal the second it happened. I'm not sure if this is a bug, nor do I care right now. I just want to know if you could walk me through editing my save to add the 35k owed to me? I can take SS next time to make sure I get a better look at the situation.

Gauge

Pretty easy you just open up the .sp file and edit the budget line to what u want.

Also debug mode has option add 100k if enabled in settings.

Pretty easy you just open up the .sp file and edit the budget line to what u want.

Also debug mode has option add 100k if enabled in settings.

I have found the file I need to edit. I just don't know how to edit it to make everything show up right. I assume I would have to add 35k to both money and totalMoney. I assume I would have to edit the mission status for Katurn I in some way to make this show up but I'm not sure how. Is it the passive reward setting? Also would I have to add the 35k somewhere else or make any other adjustments? I just want to make sure everything checks out in all the different interface screens. Or is optional mission rewards COMPLETELY untracked, even in the totalMoney?

Maybe I was missing something in the mission. I had my ship in a near perfect 84.5k orbit. I then travelled the 1.5k to just past 86k. Then I traveled back. I thought I saw it go green. Does it need to be for a length of time, does it need to be an 86k orbit(much harder).

Edited by Gaugeforever

If all you want to do is add money then just add 35k to budget. But if you want your books to match the budget then you also need to add 35k to totalmoney.

As for mission that's way more complicated and I would not suggest messing with that. If the mission finished then it's already recorded as done. Since this was a optional goal this should be the case.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.