(KSP 1.10 + 1.12 ) Mission Controller 3.2.0 (Final Version) (Updated 6/25/2021)

malkuth

(rant)

Finally, I am extremely disappointed in the contract system created by Squad. I reviewed the thread in the Add-On Development subforum. I see that additional contracts, such as MCE, must create contracts in a compiled .DLL file. One poster mentioned it would have been preferred if contracts could have been defined in a text file. If only Squad had looked at MCE vers 1.0 to see how you're SUPPOSED to accomplish this task. But, Squad has "Not Invented Here" arrogance; so, it went its own way.

One poster (m4v) in that thread even stated "Learn some C# for Christ sake". What an arrogant a$$. As a developer for over 40 years and having written at least 500,000 lines of code in a variety of languages (assembler, C, C++, C#, and many others), I found the stupidity of his statement to be beyond comprehension. C++, and C# are daunting for even for programmers who are unfamiliar with object-oriented methodologies and algorithms. To suggest that a neophyte, or even non-programmer, just slap together a C# program is asinine.

Finally, C# requires purchasing of MS Visual Studio, which is a lot to lay out just to make missions.

(/rant)

Having ranted above, is there way for you to "recreate" your MCE 1.0 contract structure and semi-integrate it into the PoS that is KSP's Contract system? By this, I mean, parse a textual MPKG file and create contracts from it. If the MPKG contracts cannot be displayed within the Mission Controller building (as was done in MCE 1.0), then I'm okay with that. I acknowledge that you have a lot of free time and devote 100% of your life to this mod, so this ought not be difficult to accomplish LOL.

Bottom line: Malkuth, you did MCE contracts the right way, Squad didn't.

Uh... no. I wanted to reply line-by line to this, but there is so much misinformation and uninformed tripe here that my mind is absolutely boggled.

There is no practical way to 'define contracts in a text file', and any such implementation would be woefully inferior to the way Squad has implemented contracts. The old MCE contract system was decent, but again, inferior to this system.

A text-file system would need a predefined set of objectives and rewards, and any contract defined thusly could only choose between those objectives. Squad implemented an API for programmatically defining these objectives and rewards. The downside to this is that you need to define them programmatically, but the increase in flexibility is well worth this trade. Adding new objectives to MCE would require more code, just like adding new 'objectives' to Squad contracts requires more code.

Furthermore, the two approaches are not mutually exclusive. Case in point - I'm currently working on a 'contract type' which CAN be defined in a text file, that comes packaged with a small list of possible objectives as a proof of concept implementation of legacy MCE-style contracts. I'm hoping to simply turn this into an API for others to use (or maybe donate it to MCE if Malkuth wants it, and it is up to snuff). The point here is that MCE-style contracts can be defined in the Squad system, but Squad-style contract flexibility would have been at least as difficult to implement inside MCE.

Next - C# is basically the easiest 'real' language for the neophyte programmer to start with, full stop. It is an oversimplification to call it 'microsoft java', but you don't have to worry about memory management, pointers, blah blah blah blah. Calling for people complaining about not being able to define contracts in a text file to learn a little C# isn't arrogance, it is common sense. It is PERFECTLY reasonable for a 'neophyte' to 'slap together' a C# KSP plugin over the course of a weekend - MANY have done it. All you need is a little initiative and the willingness to learn things. The 'arrogant a$$' I see in this situation are the people who think that the contract system should be dumbed-down to the level where text-based configurations are the go-to standard, and that they should be able to implement relatively complex mods without actually learning something. (Also, WTF mate? Bringing up C++ is a non sequitur, as C++ has nothing to do with KSP plugin development unless you want to write some native libraries for some reason (I'm reasonably sure that the only mods that actually do this are the programmable CPU emulators and that N-body physics integrator WIP))

Lastly - You DO NOT need to buy Visual Studio to make KSP Plugins. The relevant varient of VS 'Visual Studio 2013 for Windows Desktop' is completely free (as in beer) for non-commercial use. Furthermore, Monodevelop is a free (as in speech) cross-platform IDE which is fully capable of building KSP plugins.

Edited by enneract

Any plans to add more "satellite" into satellite contracts? Right now it's just a "reach designated orbit" contract that can be done with any parts. What about adding some requirements, like "transmit data from satellite" (just like "Run test", but on antenna or probe core), or maybe satellite from specific parts?

Dang never thought of that. Good idea. :)

Preview 2 will be coming out wed, or thursday and the contracts have been expanded a great deal. But have not done much more to sat contracts yet. They have been expanded a little bit.

Ill have more info on wed.

I was thinking of adding a random sciencepart to satellites the contract requires. See if I can get it working before preview 2 release. But having a module for Satellites, something simple like Connect to network or something would be pretty cool.

Edited by malkuth

Not "misinformation", bud. Simply a difference of opinion. You've yours, I've mine. I prefer MCE 's text-based solution as it made it easy for all folks, not just programmers, to create contracts. C# is far from easy IMHO. I actually prefer assembler for programming and C/C++ for common apps. And, thanks for the link to MC Visual Studio 3023 Desktop.

Thanks for telling us about this. I added that mod.

Malkuth: in the Fine Print thread (AKA Extra Contracts), another poster mentioned a thread with a list of new contract ideas. Perhaps, you can use it for inspiration http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/86853-New-mission-types

(rant)

Finally, I am extremely disappointed in the contract system created by Squad. I reviewed the thread in the Add-On Development subforum. I see that additional contracts, such as MCE, must create contracts in a compiled .DLL file. One poster mentioned it would have been preferred if contracts could have been defined in a text file. If only Squad had looked at MCE vers 1.0 to see how you're SUPPOSED to accomplish this task. But, Squad has "Not Invented Here" arrogance; so, it went its own way.

One poster (m4v) in that thread even stated "Learn some C# for Christ sake". What an arrogant a$$. As a developer for over 40 years and having written at least 500,000 lines of code in a variety of languages (assembler, C, C++, C#, and many others), I found the stupidity of his statement to be beyond comprehension. C++, and C# are daunting for even for programmers who are unfamiliar with object-oriented methodologies and algorithms. To suggest that a neophyte, or even non-programmer, just slap together a C# program is asinine.

Finally, C# requires purchasing of MS Visual Studio, which is a lot to lay out just to make missions.

(/rant)

Having ranted above, is there way for you to "recreate" your MCE 1.0 contract structure and semi-integrate it into the PoS that is KSP's Contract system? By this, I mean, parse a textual MPKG file and create contracts from it. If the MPKG contracts cannot be displayed within the Mission Controller building (as was done in MCE 1.0), then I'm okay with that. I acknowledge that you have a lot of free time and devote 100% of your life to this mod, so this ought not be difficult to accomplish LOL.

Bottom line: Malkuth, you did MCE contracts the right way, Squad didn't.

I have pretty much converted about 60% of the Goals from Mission Controller to the new contract system. Its not hard just time consuming. And its actually a lot easier because I don't have to write all the fluff for how it all comes together.. Just the goals and the actual contracts. Had some issues with Contract spamming, and availability but have conquered that as of today. It should all be good.

Should have next release by wed or thursday. As of tonight I have 5 new contracts.. 3 of them are repair, orbital research, and Lander Research (formally rover research).

Everything is pretty solid. Going to see if I can fit in some more contract types tomorrow.

And my idea for the new Civilian Module is going to be cool I think. Hint Hint..

And as for FinePrint, I have to tell you. Its very well written, and seems pretty solid. his weigh-point system is fantastic. I will be using it along side MCE on my next play session when I actually start playing a full game of .24.

Edited by malkuth

I have pretty much converted about 60% of the Goals from Mission Controller to the new contract system. Its not hard just time consuming. And its actually a lot easier because I don't have to write all the fluff for how it all comes together.. Just the goals and the actual contracts. Had some issues with Contract spamming, and availability but have conquered that as of today. It should all be good.

Should have next release by wed or thursday. As of tonight I have 5 new contracts.. 3 of them are repair, orbital research, and Lander Research (formally rover research).

Everything is pretty solid. Going to see if I can fit in some more contract types tomorrow.

And my idea for the new Civilian Module is going to be cool I think. Hint Hint..

And as for FinePrint, I have to tell you. Its very well written, and seems pretty solid. his weigh-point system is fantastic. I will be using it along side MCE on my next play session when I actually start playing a full game of .24.

yesss can't wait. i'm so strapped for cash i need my old "infrastructure" type contracts to pay the bills. i miss the old routine missions to pay for the really big pie-in-the-sky stuff that always results in a net loss (like 3 launches for a mun colonization mission, fuel pods, resupply stations, other insane stuff).

plus i was always able to hop through the random missions, building a veritable STS network and just barely staying in the black (what do you mean this propellant depot isn't a space station? it's got a docking port. give me my 200k) :)

i also miss the old MCE part recovery system.. nothing like recovering your entire first stage Space-X style. http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/186764-falcon-9-performs-another-perfect-soft-landing-spacex-now-confident-it-can-land-back-at-the-launch-pad-video

oh and is it possible to still keep an open ended satellite mission? i've been using them to build depots in high orbit and not bankrupt myself. unless you are adding back in the old "bring fuel into orbit" mission, then all is gravy.

They are pretty open ended, might be adding some more random stuff to them though. This release or next.

I was going to add back in the autoRecover but to be honest DebRefund is doing such a great job at it that I can't really compete with it.

They are pretty open ended, might be adding some more random stuff to them though. This release or next.

I was going to add back in the autoRecover but to be honest DebRefund is doing such a great job at it that I can't really compete with it.

Yeah I agree that DebRefund is really great. I am having a lot of fun with this mod too, especially the satellite contracts! :)

Mission Controller 2 Preview 2 Is Available.

Change Log.

1. Added 3 new Parts and new Models thanks to Hellfire. RepairPanel, Orbital Scanner, and Lander Scanner.

2. Added 3 new Contracts. Repair, Orbital Scan, and Lander.

3. Adjusted the existing Satellite Contracts and added part requirements.

4. Fixed an issue where the contracts would not show up after being done.

5. Bunch of bug fixes. And maybe Bug Additions.

Please Read Important. For some reason during my testing I noticed that randomly Some Completed contracts in your Archives would be erased. I think I figured out why it does this. If you have a current active Contract and install a new version of contract that has some major changes, the Achieves freak out and get cleared out. So be warned try to finish any MCE contracts you have active NOW before installing new versions. And BACKUP your SAVE FILE for KSP.

wanted to add some more contracts guys, but bug squashing and finishing up the new contracts took up most my time. I will add more as I go.

Preview 3 Will be soon, and will drop the existing save to config file and add saves to your persistent file. And I will add the new Civilian Module. ;) More on this later.

Edited by malkuth

Hi, i'm just gonna repeat my post from FinePrint, since i don't care which one will implement it :D

Did you look at the possibility of rescuying whole crafts instead/in addition to rescuying lone kerbals? (i'm thinking maybe even integrate it with your 'design orbiter' type contract from MCE 1.0, it would be pretty awesome rescuying your own contraption) I think it will be much cooler to dock and then refuel instead of just getting a dude inside a capsule.

Hi, i'm just gonna repeat my post from FinePrint, since i don't care which one will implement it :D

Did you look at the possibility of rescuying whole crafts instead/in addition to rescuying lone kerbals? (i'm thinking maybe even integrate it with your 'design orbiter' type contract from MCE 1.0, it would be pretty awesome rescuying your own contraption) I think it will be much cooler to dock and then refuel instead of just getting a dude inside a capsule.

I'm not a big fan of the rescue kerbal mission. :( I don't even do them when they come up.

Oh by the way, If you do rescue a kerbal.. You will be charged.. :) MOhaaaaa... (was not on purppose, MCE just looks for new kerbals added to your Roster)

Ill think about it though, if I added it would be able to turn it off and on for those of us that don't like magic.

I'm not a big fan of the rescue kerbal mission. :( I don't even do them when they come up.

Oh by the way, If you do rescue a kerbal.. You will be charged.. :) MOhaaaaa... (was not on purppose, MCE just looks for new kerbals added to your Roster)

Ill think about it though, if I added it would be able to turn it off and on for those of us that don't like magic.

My whole roster is from rescued dudes, it's somehow satisfying to me. What do you mean by magic by the way?

Oh by the way. I will start working on a contract I really wanted up on this release.

Deliver ComSat Network To space.

The premis of this is for you Remote Tech guys, and not remote tech guys. The contract will require a delivery of 4 Satellites to a specific orbit to set up a ComSat Network. Each satellite will be checked via Vessel ID to make sure you don't cheat it with 1 vessel.

But should work if you have 4 satellites on 1 launcher and seperate them all (all 4 should get a new ID).

thats next.. Want it gotta have it.

- - - Updated - - -

My whole roster is from rescued dudes, it's somehow satisfying to me. What do you mean by magic by the way?

Just wonder how they get up into space. ;) Magic?

well, contract 'auction' implies there are other space agencies, even company itself could launch them, like spacex IRL. IIRC there is some story in the description, but maybe not.

Edit: it's not an auction and it's not implying anything, my other point seems to be valid though.

Edited by mouzfun

Oh by the way. I will start working on a contract I really wanted up on this release.

Deliver ComSat Network To space.

The premis of this is for you Remote Tech guys, and not remote tech guys. The contract will require a delivery of 4 Satellites to a specific orbit to set up a ComSat Network. Each satellite will be checked via Vessel ID to make sure you don't cheat it with 1 vessel.

But should work if you have 4 satellites on 1 launcher and seperate them all (all 4 should get a new ID).

thats next.. Want it gotta have it.

- - - Updated - - -

Awesome! I love this mod. For the stranded Kerbals I like to pretend that it is another space program and there was a problem.

Bunch of college graduates trying to impress KSC with bumpy backyard rocket designs to get a job in the space business - and guess what, they seem to have success that way. :wink:

At this stage of game guys I need feedback on the contract payouts. I know the difficulty levels can hamper this. But base it off Medium mode if you play that. Its hard for me to test late into the game because I spend most my time programming. So any helpful info is needed info. And bugs too.

Very interested in how it works when used together with Fine Prints?

Works fine with Fine Prints, Station Science, Economy Enhancements, Kerbal Construction Time, Deadly Re-Entry and Remotetech 2.

For those looking for a "Hardcore Mode".

Oh and last thing. About the Research parts. They only right now pay out research in contracts. I plan on actually adding the research points to parts themselves for biomes in a later update.

Quick question: if I snap Repair module to, say, space station (not on a satellite that was launched by contract), will I get contracts to repair that station?

Also, consider making models less memory demanding. A LOT LESS memory demanding. 34 Mb for FOUR parts, really?

Edited by biohazard15

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.