[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

I have a question about the implementation of radiation. Will natural radiation kill kerbals? I just landed on Gilly, went on EVA, and saw the radiation level was "deadly." Maybe I landed a uranium/thorium deposit :P? (I'm on 0.90 with Boris's patch.)

Also, I'd like to suggest adding some kind of polyethylene radiation shielding to all 2.5 m cabins and upping the cost slightly. There are quite a few places in addition to where I landed on Gilly that have "extreme" or "deadly" radiation. It would be even better if there was a toggle option to shield any cabin. If just adding shielding to stock cabin is too overpowered, then please add an active shielding unit (2.5/3.75m). It can even be integrated into KSPI's MJ system :). With the addition of something like this, using the DT fusion engine near other ships will be feasible. The old handy-wavy system of "ships-can't-irradiate-their-own-crew" can also be removed.

Edited by Guiltyspark
clarification and grammar...

I can't seem to make viable missions until I get to the very end of the tech-tree, when the game is almost over. The wiki has been really helpful for making basic setups, but not for understanding what each combination is good for.

When playing in career mode, when should I start using KSPI parts, and what sorts of missions are they useful for?

Can anyone recommend a good lets play or career walk-through (preferably shorter than Manley's)?

I'd recommend you consider setting up a beamed power network at mid-game so you can use the electric thrusters to get your probes everywhere. It's great for transfers around Kerbin, IMO.

I play with a lot of other mods that require tons of power, so my "early" usage of KSPI is for stable power generation for things like resource extraction with MKS where drilling takes something like 2.5MW of power. Tier 1 fission power is not good for much else compared to chemical energy.

I still haven't gotten far enough into a career game to really evaluate later-tech like upgraded fission and fusion power, but Manley's videos show those to great effect. Again, these are mid- to late-game strategies.

Finally, if you're feeling brave, you can try one of the mods that adds other star systems as a reason to get that warp drive working...

Hay everyone. I'm about to put together my mods for the .90 release and I'm wondering what are the odds of me being able to update the unofficial ( http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/104943-0-90-KSP-Interstellar-port-maintance-thread?p=1630968&viewfull=1#post1630968 ) to the official version when it is released?

As a plan B I was wondering if maybe I could just starting playing without KSPI and add it later when it updates but I'm not sure if that would work.

It's up to you to decide, either use dev version of unofficioal update or play without it. At the time of this post it's already prety stable.

Yes, you can add KSPI later in the middle of your career.

I have a question about the implementation of radiation. Will natural radiation kill kerbals? I just landed on Gilly, went on EVA, and saw the radiation level was "deadly." Maybe I landed a uranium/thorium deposit :P? (I'm on 0.90 with Boris's patch.)

Also, I'd like to suggest adding some kind of polyethylene radiation shielding to all 2.5 m cabins and upping the cost slightly. There are quite a few places in addition to where I landed on Gilly that have "extreme" or "deadly" radiation. It would be even better if there was a toggle option to shield any cabin. If just adding shielding to stock cabin is too overpowered, then please add an active shielding unit (2.5/3.75m). It can even be integrated into KSPI's MJ system :). With the addition of something like this, using the DT fusion engine near other ships will be feasible. The old handy-wavy system of "ships-can't-irradiate-their-own-crew" can also be removed.

Yes, radiation mechanics is a stub. I won't touch it for now.

Is microwave beamed power working? While looking at the transmitters I am seeing beamed power, but no reception from any other vessels.

I saw a post a few pages back about a modified dll for microwave, but I think the link is deleted.

I'm working on transferring a .25 save with the latest release by Boris. I also have MKS/TAC

Oh, and I decided I'm just gonna wait a bit to add KSPI. It takes awhile to unlock anything useful in the tech tree anyway. My only worry now is that when I add KSPI I may loose some crafts to overheats from there solar panels but maybe that will be changed in the next official release like it is in [Boris-Barboris] Patch

I'd recommend you consider setting up a beamed power network at mid-game so you can use the electric thrusters to get your probes everywhere. It's great for transfers around Kerbin, IMO.

When you set up the beamed power network, how do you get enough radiators to make it worthwhile?

Every basic Generator-Reactor-Transciever design I build is ineffective without more than 100 tons of heat radiators. I am using the 2.5M size generator/reactor.

When you set up the beamed power network, how do you get enough radiators to make it worthwhile?

Every basic Generator-Reactor-Transciever design I build is ineffective without more than 100 tons of heat radiators. I am using the 2.5M size generator/reactor.

something seems wrong, then. even a gen 1 3.75 fission plant is, what something like 3GW? After conversion you're lucky if you have 1GW beamed power. If your electric propulsion is 60% efficient, that leaves you with only 400MW of waste heat. That should be only a few med radiators I think? The next thing you could do is work your science program to get the advanced energy converter and radiator upgrade - that's very economical.

An alternative is to skip the electric propulsion if you're really having a problem with waste heat and use the thermal receiver and thermal rocket nozzle. This dumps your waste heat straight out the tail-pipe. the ISP isn't as good as the electric propulsion, but I believe it'll still beat a chemical engine... haven't checked in a while myself, though.

Thermal Manager readings are yellow in the VAB.

Is beamed power only useful for small probes? Trying to figure out what magnitude of power I should expect from my beams.

Thanks!

The wiki page was helpful when I was setting up my first network:

https://github.com/FractalUK/KSPInterstellar/wiki/Basic-Microwave-Powered-Plasma-Spacecraft

So was WaveFunction's youtube videos.

I had a career game in 0.23.5 and had a single 3.75 fission providing power to the network. It provided about 900MW of beamed power no problem. The biggest things I moved was a class D asteroid capture mission, but I used xenon tanks and very long burns. That's the sacrifice you make when you don't launch tons of reactors for the network, but that's what time warp is for.

I haven't tried stuff with Boris' maintenance version, but I'd imagine it's going to work about the same...

Edited by DivisionByZero

Thermal Manager readings are yellow in the VAB.

Here's a picture: http://imgur.com/Wg25ytX

I ran into something similar a while ago and never did figure out what the problem was, but I'm not having that issue with Boris' version. Still, I have been seeing some weird stuff with waste heat even with his version. Ex: a microwave/plasma ship and a reactor ship both accumulate no waste heat, though ThermalMechanicsDisabled is set to false in the config.

I'm using a fresh game install with the files provided here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/104943-0-90-KSP-Interstellar-port-maintance-thread?p=1630968&viewfull=1#post1630968

I am also using mechjeb, hyperedit, kerbal engineer, tweakscale (the version you link to) and stationscience. Maybe I installed in the wrong order.

Later tonight I'll try another fresh install with all re-downloaded files. This time I'll install Interstellar last to make sure it can overwrite everything. I'm pretty sure I did that last time, but it can't hurt to try again.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I should just do Interstellar and see if that works. That would narrow down the problem.

Edited by herman

@herman - yellow is not bad

You don't leave the recievers on all the time, I just turned them on when I was doing a burn, that allows you to use fewer radiators than you would need if you were to leave it on constantly.

Also, waste heat will build up, but as long as it doesn't hit 95% capacity, your fine.

For fun, I launched a basic probe using 25GW beamed power, a single 1.25m plasma thruster and 5k of argon to 18km/s before it hit munar orbit.

hallo alle.

I have been tryning to get a power station to work in space I have a 3,75m aegletes 2 fission reactor to start on and i like to get a ohter 3,75 fusion reactor up there as well. but i can not get the fussion reactor to work it will not start, just says lqd deuterium deprived, what dos that do and how do i fix it. i can find no info about this. Help me plz.

Ps sorry for the bad english